Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Thanks to the PX3 panadapter and the CQ WW CW contest, I just made my first QSO in at least three decades in the legacy 21.1 MHz U.S. Novice-license segment. I didn't expect activity to spread upward that far, but sure enough, blips appeared on the PX3 above 21.1, and I was able to make a quick QSO with WK1Q using 12 W (KX3 barefoot).

This brought back a lot of memories. 21.1-21.15 was my favorite place to hang out back in the 1970s, when I was crystal-controlled on transmit, using a Heath HW-16. In those days I had a home-rolled 2-element 15-meter yogi made from 1/2-inch steel pipe and 2x4s. Must have weighed 40 pounds. Fortunately, my patient stepfather knew that getting that antenna up would keep me out of trouble (I was 15 at the time).

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Bruce Beford-4
Yes, 15M was also my favorite band as a Novice.

It may be "ancient" but it's still active, and still an official band
segment for Novice/Techs (21.025-21.200 MHz). The same goes for the
Novice/Tech segment of 40M (7.025-7.125). There is a lot of activity at the
top end of the old Novice segment of 40M. You can often find relatively slow
code CW QSOs from 7.120-7.125.

Stop in and work these stations! There are many who frequent these segments.
I know many FISTS and SKCC members who hang out in these areas. Some other
folks are working on getting their code speed up. Not because they _have
to_, but because they want to. I know a few "lifetime" Novices, that are
active, but have no intention of upgrading.

Yes, there are still Novice class licensees. The FCC does not issue new
Novice (or Advanced) class licenses, but they can still be (and often are)
renewed.

Latest statistics from the FCC:
Month Extra Advanced General Technician Novice ARS
Total
Apr-14 134,558 53,166 168,502 354,151 12,805 723,182

Bruce N1RX

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Tony Estep
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ....I just made my first QSO in at least three decades in the legacy 21.1
> MHz U.S. Novice-license segment.....

=========
Ah, now that brings back memories. I worked DXCC as a Novice (KN0LTB) in
1958-59, all within 21.100 - 21.125. The conditions were so incredible in
those days, with sunspot levels double what we have in a good cycle now.
Bill, W4ZV, was the first Novice to achieve DXCC (as KN4RID), also in that
same era, and also in that same little range of frequencies. Now you rarely
hear anything up there, but in those days there were signals from 21.000
all the way up to the phone band.

Tony KT0NY

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Richards
Hot Dang!!!    Cool.      !!

     And of course a 15m Yogi is WAY better
     than a 10m BooBoo...

(I just could not resist the pun, WB)

-------------------------- James - 8JHR -----------------

> On 5/25/2014 4:03 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>
>  made my first QSO in at least three decades in the legacy 21.1 MHz U.S. Novice-license segment.
>
> , In those days I had a home-rolled 2-element 15-meter yogi . . .

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Mike Morrow-3

> Yes, 15M was also my favorite band as a Novice.

Mine too...and it still is.  I would never buy a multi-band HF ham rig that
did not include 15m (sorry, KX1!).

> Yes, there are still Novice class licensees. The FCC does not issue new
> Novice (or Advanced) class licenses, but they can still be (and often are)
> renewed.

That would date them as having licensed as Novice somewhere between 1976 and
2000.  In 1978 the two-year **non-renewable Novice** license changed to
five-year renewable, and in 2000 the FCC stopped issuing new Novice licenses.

I got caught in the Novice "can't renew it" trap and got a Tech license by mail
exam just to keep my call, until I could get to a big city federal building for
its semi-annual FCC ham exams for something better.  Techs had no HF privileges!

Mike / KK5F

Re: [KX3] Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Barry K3NDM
Wayne,
     I remember that band. It was my favorite even though I wasn't a
novice. I met some of the friendliest hams in the world there, to
include some great DX.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 5/25/2014 4:03 PM, Wayne Burdick [hidden email] [KX3] wrote:

> Thanks to the PX3 panadapter and the CQ WW CW contest, I just made my
> first QSO in at least three decades in the legacy 21.1 MHz U.S.
> Novice-license segment. I didn't expect activity to spread upward that
> far, but sure enough, blips appeared on the PX3 above 21.1, and I was
> able to make a quick QSO with WK1Q using 12 W (KX3 barefoot).
>
> This brought back a lot of memories. 21.1-21.15 was my favorite place
> to hang out back in the 1970s, when I was crystal-controlled on
> transmit, using a Heath HW-16. In those days I had a home-rolled
> 2-element 15-meter yogi made from 1/2-inch steel pipe and 2x4s. Must
> have weighed 40 pounds. Fortunately, my patient stepfather knew that
> getting that antenna up would keep me out of trouble (I was 15 at the
> time).
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> __._,_.___
> Posted by: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
> . Reply to sender
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20Activity%20in%20ancient%2015-meter%20novice%20band%20%2821%2E1%20MHz%29>
> . Reply to group
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20Activity%20in%20ancient%2015-meter%20novice%20band%20%2821%2E1%20MHz%29>
> . Start a New Topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbGU4cmJ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0MDEwNDgyMzc->
> . Messages in this topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/conversations/topics/44362;_ylc=X3oDMTM3Y3RrYnVnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0NDM2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0MDEwNDgyMzcEdHBjSWQDNDQzNjI->
> (1)
>
> Visit Your Group
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdmU5cWdhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0MDEwNDgyMzc->
>

>   * New Members
>     <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/members/all;_ylc=X3oDMTJnMmFjODVpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxNDAxMDQ4MjM3>
>     17
>
> Yahoo! Groups
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNzFrb2E4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTQwMTA0ODIzNw-->
>
> . Privacy
> <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html> .
> Unsubscribe
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe> . Terms
> of Use <https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/>
>
> .
>
> __,_._,___

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

KC6CNN
Thank you Bruce.
I have been there went hams sending at 20 + would not slow down and or work
the new novice. I now try to work there a lot to help encourage then.
I wish more would do that too.
73's KC6CNN Gerald

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Tighe Kuykendall
I resemble that slow code remark...  As a relatively new licensee (about
14yrs), I never did much with CW other than pass the code element for
General.  Lately I've been making an effort to get more proficient with
CW, as in haven't used a mic in at least 2 months other than a couple of
local 10m rag chews.  I find myself dragging my KX3 around with me
everywhere I go, so thanks to Elecraft for designing such a capable yet
portable rig.

My sincerest thanks to all those that stop by the slow code portions of
the bands to help others learn and improve!

Tighe
NK4I

--
Tighe Kuykendall
NK4I  |  www.NK4I.com  |  Follow Me on Twitter: @NK4I

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Lee Trout
Those running QRS need our encouragement.  It must be very lonely for them
since most of the CW ops are highly experienced and running QRQ.  If we
don't go out of our way to work them, they will -- and many probably
already have -- go back to phone or just give up after endless unanswered
CQs or endless searches for a QRS CQ.

I operate about 50% QRQ with an iambic paddle and about 50% QRS with a
straight key, usually seeking QRS CQs or sending a QRS CQ at 7050 to 7065
or 7100-7125.

Operating QRS has advantages.  With the decline of CW, it is often
difficult to find a QSO.  By being willing to work QRS stations you greatly
increase your chances of a QSO.  I often put out a CQ with the paddle and,
if no cigar, switch to the hand pump.

You meet some interesting people!  Last year I worked a new ham on his
FIRST CW QSO: yes, he actually took the time to learn the code on his own.
I work many who have been QRT for years and finally got bitten by the CW
bug again.  The record so far is a gent that had been QRT for 54 years!

It is fun!  Pounding away on my ole J-38 again is just downright enjoyable
and who cares if a QSO takes longer.

If you care about CW, the best boost you can give it, is to work the QRS
guys.  So either slow down your keyer (I have found I can't do that -- if I
try to slow the keyer down below 15 wpm, I make mistakes galore) or, better
yet, drag out ye ole pump handle and pound away.  It takes some practice to
get your pump fist back, but when you do, I'll bet your will find yourself
having a ball!

(I would encourage non-selective CQs -- if you do have the good fortune to
run into a new guy, he is probably not a member of one of the clubs.)

Viva CW!  Lee K9CM

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Joshua Gould, K8WXA
I keep throwing around the idea of trying to learn code again.  When I got
licensed as a no code tech, I stayed there for the first ten years because
every time that I would try to learn code to upgrade, my brain was having
none of it.  Now that I've upgraded to General and I have access to more
bands (where CW is still used) the idea is growing on me again.  I am
planning to purchase a KX3 in early July, and would love to know code so
that I can play around on CW while QRP.  Between attending college and
other work related responsibilities, I'm not sure that is going to happen
before I get my KX3.  I would hope that if I learn the code, someone will
slow down and have a QSO with a newbie...

Joshua Gould
K8WXA

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Lee Trout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those running QRS need our encouragement.  It must be very lonely for them
> since most of the CW ops are highly experienced and running QRQ.  If we
> don't go out of our way to work them, they will -- and many probably
> already have -- go back to phone or just give up after endless unanswered
> CQs or endless searches for a QRS CQ.
>
> I operate about 50% QRQ with an iambic paddle and about 50% QRS with a
> straight key, usually seeking QRS CQs or sending a QRS CQ at 7050 to 7065
> or 7100-7125.
>
> Operating QRS has advantages.  With the decline of CW, it is often
> difficult to find a QSO.  By being willing to work QRS stations you greatly
> increase your chances of a QSO.  I often put out a CQ with the paddle and,
> if no cigar, switch to the hand pump.
>
> You meet some interesting people!  Last year I worked a new ham on his
> FIRST CW QSO: yes, he actually took the time to learn the code on his own.
> I work many who have been QRT for years and finally got bitten by the CW
> bug again.  The record so far is a gent that had been QRT for 54 years!
>
> It is fun!  Pounding away on my ole J-38 again is just downright enjoyable
> and who cares if a QSO takes longer.
>
> If you care about CW, the best boost you can give it, is to work the QRS
> guys.  So either slow down your keyer (I have found I can't do that -- if I
> try to slow the keyer down below 15 wpm, I make mistakes galore) or, better
> yet, drag out ye ole pump handle and pound away.  It takes some practice to
> get your pump fist back, but when you do, I'll bet your will find yourself
> having a ball!
>
> (I would encourage non-selective CQs -- if you do have the good fortune to
> run into a new guy, he is probably not a member of one of the clubs.)
>
> Viva CW!  Lee K9CM

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

mcduffie

> Between attending college and
> other work related responsibilities, I'm not sure that is going to happen
> before I get my KX3.

Do it while you're young.  I suspect it would be very difficult to do
when you get older and are retired.  I know my brain is really fried
when it comes to learning new things.  I learned "the code" when I was
in Cub Scouts (flash cards), but I learned CW when I was in Jr High and
have loved CW ever since.  I retired 2 yrs ago, so learning new is rough
these days.

Gary
--
http://ag0n.net
3055: http://ag0n.net/irlp/3055

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Barry K3NDM
Joshua,
     I'm no expert on learning code, but I have discovered a few things.
Most folk who want to learn code try and memorize the code and then try
and translate to readable text. I found out, the hard way, that you work
against yourself by doing this, It took me a very long time to figure
this out.

     I found that if you train your ear to hear a certain sound and then
react, like writing down what your hear, you can learn code with a whole
lot less pain. For instance, the best way I have found is to use the
Farnesworth method. That starts out at a speed of around 10-15 WPM with
spacing equal to about 5 WPM. Overtime, the spacing is shortened, but
the characters are still sent at the same speed that you started. What
is happening is that you will continue to hear the same sound up to the
speed that the characters were originally sent. You just learn to react
faster, and that is much better than trying to react faster at the same
time you are trying to figure out what the new sound is.

     I found this when I borrowed an Instructograph. That was a paper
tape device Army CW ops once used. I had no idea what was going on
initially. What I discovered was that the chracters were coming at me
faster and faster over a session because the reel sizes changed over
time making things faster. It worked for me, and now I can work CQ WPX
CW at 25+ WPM. I can't QSO that fast, but contests work. CW IS fun and
really gets through with almost no power. Best of luck.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 5/27/2014 8:25 AM, Joshua Gould wrote:

> I keep throwing around the idea of trying to learn code again.  When I got
> licensed as a no code tech, I stayed there for the first ten years because
> every time that I would try to learn code to upgrade, my brain was having
> none of it.  Now that I've upgraded to General and I have access to more
> bands (where CW is still used) the idea is growing on me again.  I am
> planning to purchase a KX3 in early July, and would love to know code so
> that I can play around on CW while QRP.  Between attending college and
> other work related responsibilities, I'm not sure that is going to happen
> before I get my KX3.  I would hope that if I learn the code, someone will
> slow down and have a QSO with a newbie...
>
> Joshua Gould
> K8WXA
>

> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Lee Trout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those running QRS need our encouragement.  It must be very lonely for them
>> since most of the CW ops are highly experienced and running QRQ.  If we
>> don't go out of our way to work them, they will -- and many probably
>> already have -- go back to phone or just give up after endless unanswered
>> CQs or endless searches for a QRS CQ.
>>
>> I operate about 50% QRQ with an iambic paddle and about 50% QRS with a
>> straight key, usually seeking QRS CQs or sending a QRS CQ at 7050 to 7065
>> or 7100-7125.
>>
>> Operating QRS has advantages.  With the decline of CW, it is often
>> difficult to find a QSO.  By being willing to work QRS stations you greatly
>> increase your chances of a QSO.  I often put out a CQ with the paddle and,
>> if no cigar, switch to the hand pump.
>>
>> You meet some interesting people!  Last year I worked a new ham on his
>> FIRST CW QSO: yes, he actually took the time to learn the code on his own.
>> I work many who have been QRT for years and finally got bitten by the CW
>> bug again.  The record so far is a gent that had been QRT for 54 years!
>>
>> It is fun!  Pounding away on my ole J-38 again is just downright enjoyable
>> and who cares if a QSO takes longer.
>>
>> If you care about CW, the best boost you can give it, is to work the QRS
>> guys.  So either slow down your keyer (I have found I can't do that -- if I
>> try to slow the keyer down below 15 wpm, I make mistakes galore) or, better
>> yet, drag out ye ole pump handle and pound away.  It takes some practice to
>> get your pump fist back, but when you do, I'll bet your will find yourself
>> having a ball!
>>
>> (I would encourage non-selective CQs -- if you do have the good fortune to
>> run into a new guy, he is probably not a member of one of the clubs.)
>>
>> Viva CW!  Lee K9CM

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

Hello Joshua,

By all means, learn CW. It is never too late. I was QRT for 25 years and
had to learn the Code from scratch. You can learn all the letters in 6
weeks practicing for 15 minutes per day. In another 5-7 weeks you'll
absorb the punctuation and numbers.There are plenty of resources
available on the Straight Key Century Club web site.
http://www.skccgroup.com/ Our club has grown to more than 12,000 members
since it was founded in 2006. There are monthly sprints and weekend
operating events. Since everybody uses only straight keys or bugs, QRS
is the order of the day. Give a listen tonight at 0000Z on the following
frequencies:
*160 m, 1820 kHz* *80 m, 3550 kHz* *40 m, 7055 / 7114 kHz* *20 m,
14050 kHz*
*15 m, 21050 kHz* *10 m, 28050 kHz* *6 m, 50090 kHz*

Get in touch if you have any questions.

73, Charles N2SO
On 5/27/2014 8:25 AM, Joshua Gould wrote:

> I keep throwing around the idea of trying to learn code again.  When I got
> licensed as a no code tech, I stayed there for the first ten years because
> every time that I would try to learn code to upgrade, my brain was having
> none of it.  Now that I've upgraded to General and I have access to more
> bands (where CW is still used) the idea is growing on me again.  I am
> planning to purchase a KX3 in early July, and would love to know code so
> that I can play around on CW while QRP.  Between attending college and
> other work related responsibilities, I'm not sure that is going to happen
> before I get my KX3.  I would hope that if I learn the code, someone will
> slow down and have a QSO with a newbie...
>
> Joshua Gould
> K8WXA
>

> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Lee Trout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those running QRS need our encouragement.  It must be very lonely for them
>> since most of the CW ops are highly experienced and running QRQ.  If we
>> don't go out of our way to work them, they will -- and many probably
>> already have -- go back to phone or just give up after endless unanswered
>> CQs or endless searches for a QRS CQ.
>>
>> I operate about 50% QRQ with an iambic paddle and about 50% QRS with a
>> straight key, usually seeking QRS CQs or sending a QRS CQ at 7050 to 7065
>> or 7100-7125.
>>
>> Operating QRS has advantages.  With the decline of CW, it is often
>> difficult to find a QSO.  By being willing to work QRS stations you greatly
>> increase your chances of a QSO.  I often put out a CQ with the paddle and,
>> if no cigar, switch to the hand pump.
>>
>> You meet some interesting people!  Last year I worked a new ham on his
>> FIRST CW QSO: yes, he actually took the time to learn the code on his own.
>> I work many who have been QRT for years and finally got bitten by the CW
>> bug again.  The record so far is a gent that had been QRT for 54 years!
>>
>> It is fun!  Pounding away on my ole J-38 again is just downright enjoyable
>> and who cares if a QSO takes longer.
>>
>> If you care about CW, the best boost you can give it, is to work the QRS
>> guys.  So either slow down your keyer (I have found I can't do that -- if I
>> try to slow the keyer down below 15 wpm, I make mistakes galore) or, better
>> yet, drag out ye ole pump handle and pound away.  It takes some practice to
>> get your pump fist back, but when you do, I'll bet your will find yourself
>> having a ball!
>>
>> (I would encourage non-selective CQs -- if you do have the good fortune to
>> run into a new guy, he is probably not a member of one of the clubs.)
>>
>> Viva CW!  Lee K9CM

Re: Activity in ancient 15-meter novice band (21.1 MHz)

W4JBB
While I realize this is off-topic, I will state I operate my K3 and KX3
when working SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) ops.

I am a member of SKCC and, although I am not active right now due to a
bathroom remodel I'm doing mostly myself, I do enjoy operating the SKCC
ops. There are various awards you can get and different levels of
membership based on the number of SKCC ops you work if you're interested
in that sort of thing. I am a QRS operator myself and I have never met
an SKCC op who will not slow down to my speed. They also have monthly
sprints which are a lot of fun.

Now, being a member means when you QSO you do so with either straight
key, cootie key, or bug - every dit and dah should be mechanically
produced. I prefer a bug.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Their webpage is skccgroup.com.

73,
Joel - W4JBB