Another KX3 hits the air.

Dave B
Hi.

Well, my KX3 is now built (took a little under 3 hours) updated and
working very well indeed!

What a cracking little radio.

Only one wrinkle...

The kx3util program (Linux version) couldn't connect to Elecraft's
servers to find out if there was any later firmware available.  (Error
120 I think it was, not 100% sure...)

I eventually hacked my way backwards from the link to the Beta test code,
to find the current production stuff.  (Why no direct link to the current
code?)  Downloaded the files into the 'util's firmware folder, and was
good to go.

Anyway, done and dusted.

One last thing.  Who to contact to "register" the serial number so any
(hopefully nill) warranty issues can be catered for.

73.

Dave G0WBX.
(KX3 sn: 4208)

Just started throwing down Hail here, time to unplug.....

Re: Another KX3 hits the air.

Michael Eberle

When I was using Linux, I had to install the 'curl' package to get my
k3util to connect to Elecraft's server and download the firmware.

Mike KI0HA

On 5/24/2013 12:40 PM, Dave B wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Well, my KX3 is now built (took a little under 3 hours) updated and
> working very well indeed!
>
> What a cracking little radio.
>
> Only one wrinkle...
>
> The kx3util program (Linux version) couldn't connect to Elecraft's
> servers to find out if there was any later firmware available.  (Error
> 120 I think it was, not 100% sure...)
>
> I eventually hacked my way backwards from the link to the Beta test code,
> to find the current production stuff.  (Why no direct link to the current
> code?)  Downloaded the files into the 'util's firmware folder, and was
> good to go.
>
> Anyway, done and dusted.
>
> One last thing.  Who to contact to "register" the serial number so any
> (hopefully nill) warranty issues can be catered for.
>
> 73.
>
> Dave G0WBX.
> (KX3 sn: 4208)
>
> Just started throwing down Hail here, time to unplug.....

Re: Another KX3 hits the air.

David Fleming-2
Yes, install curl.

sudo apt-get install curl

David, W4SMT

________________________________
When I was using Linux, I had to install the 'curl' package to get my
k3util to connect to Elecraft's server and download the firmware.

Mike KI0HA

On 5/24/2013 12:40 PM, Dave B wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Well, my KX3 is now built (took a little under 3 hours) updated and
> working very well indeed!
>
> What a cracking little radio.
>
> Only one wrinkle...
>
> The kx3util program (Linux version) couldn't connect to Elecraft's
> servers to find out if there was any later firmware available.  (Error
> 120 I think it was, not 100% sure...)
>
> I eventually hacked my way backwards from the link to the Beta test code,
> to find the current production stuff.  (Why no direct link to the current
> code?)  Downloaded the files into the 'util's firmware folder, and was
> good to go.
>
> Anyway, done and dusted.
>
> One last thing.  Who to contact to "register" the serial number so any
> (hopefully nill) warranty issues can be catered for.
>
> 73.
>
> Dave G0WBX.
> (KX3 sn: 4208)
>
> Just started throwing down Hail here, time to unplug.....

Re: Another KX3 hits the air.

Dave B
Thanks.

Will try that later.

All this needs documenting!  Perhaps instead of a faceless error number,
a more meaningfull error message might be in order?

73..

Dave G0WBX.

On 24 May 2013 at 13:18, David Fleming wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> You need to install cUrl on your Linux distro. That will solve the
> problem downloading files from Elecraft's server.
>
> sudo apt-get install curl
>
> David, W4SMT

XMIT Cycling in K3

Jay Kobelin
After loading the new released files today with the new utility (all went
fine) for the K3, when I now use N1MM and call CQ it keeps on cycling the CQ
(XMIT to RX and then again XMIT over and over)..just keeps on looping until
I hit escape in N1MM

This occurs in CW and RTTY modes

Never did this before

HUH?

Jay
W2IJ

Re: Another KX3 hits the air.

Michael Eberle
This is one of the reasons I stopped using Linux.  I got tired of
constantly chasing down software dependencies.

Mike KI0HA

On 5/24/2013 4:03 PM, Dave B wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Will try that later.
>
> All this needs documenting!  Perhaps instead of a faceless error number,
> a more meaningfull error message might be in order?
>
> 73..
>
> Dave G0WBX.
>

> On 24 May 2013 at 13:18, David Fleming wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> You need to install cUrl on your Linux distro. That will solve the
>> problem downloading files from Elecraft's server.
>>
>> sudo apt-get install curl
>>
>> David, W4SMT

Utility does not copy new files

Jay Kobelin
As I try to put all the new firmware files for the K3 on 6 PCs for an
expedition, the new K3 Utility (latest version now loaded on each PC) says
it copied the files from the ftp  but there is no folder created by the
utility. I tried sending it to another folder and nothing happens but the
utility wants to talk to the K3. So I shut off the K3 and there is no
download and the utility once again tries to talk to the K3. So I close the
COM port, then ask for the firmware files expecting that I can download the
firmware but it looks at the ftp, does nothing, then again tries to talk to
the K3.

I had a feeling the firmware was going to be an experience (first time
download for me)..and its not making any sense.

Jay
W2IJ

Re: XMIT Cycling in K3

Jay Kobelin
Found it...does N1MM have a mind of its own?

Found the CQ repeat enabled..and there is no reason for me to even check
that off......

> After loading the new released files today with the new utility (all went
> fine) for the K3, when I now use N1MM and call CQ it keeps on cycling the
> CQ (XMIT to RX and then again XMIT over and over)..just keeps on looping
> until I hit escape in N1MM
>
> This occurs in CW and RTTY modes
>
> Never did this before
>
> HUH?
>
> Jay
> W2IJ

Re: Utility does not copy new files

Jay Kobelin
Found this one too....

Turns out the last expedition with these PCs had a few of them with the
Windows Explorer kept as HIDDEN under folder options.....funny thing
happened when I selected see all folders

...there were all the firmware files as they were intended

Interesting afternoon!

> As I try to put all the new firmware files for the K3 on 6 PCs for an
> expedition, the new K3 Utility (latest version now loaded on each PC) says
> it copied the files from the ftp  but there is no folder created by the
> utility. I tried sending it to another folder and nothing happens but the
> utility wants to talk to the K3. So I shut off the K3 and there is no
> download and the utility once again tries to talk to the K3. So I close
> the COM port, then ask for the firmware files expecting that I can
> download the firmware but it looks at the ftp, does nothing, then again
> tries to talk to the K3.
>
> I had a feeling the firmware was going to be an experience (first time
> download for me)..and its not making any sense.
>
> Jay
> W2IJ

Re: XMIT Cycling in K3

Dick Dievendorff
Do you have CQ Repeat on in the Config menu?

Dick, K6KR

Re: Utility does not copy new files

Dick Dievendorff
The utility creates the "default" folder.  If you want a different folder
than that, please create it and navigate to it and then copy firmware.

Dick, K6KR

Re: Utility does not copy new files

Jay Kobelin
All

I found the problem and put out the solution about 2 hours ago....maybe it
didn't get sent?

Jay