Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

MaverickNH
But maybe phrased another way.

I'm just a few years into HAM with a General license, and continuing to explore CW, contesting, digital, etc., using my Yaesu FT-897D.

The major upsides for the KX3 vs K3S are portability and cost - a Full Monty K3S-100/P3 vs Full Monty KX3/PX3/KXPA100 is about $4300 vs $9000.

With either hooked up to my G5RV 102' dipole on my shack bench, in what operating uses would I see little to no difference, and which operating uses would I see progressively more shortcomings for the KX3?

No good options to markedly upgrade the antenna (no tower options and antenna only in the woods), so looking for rig-to-rig comparisons. No plans to push >100W near-term, if ever.

Thanks for your patience in yet another X vs Y question.

BRET/KC1CJN

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

MaverickNH
Summarizing some great offline feedback I'm getting, I can see a few options emerging:

1. Get a loaded K3S/P3
2. Get a loaded KX3/PX3/KXPA100 system
3. Get a loaded/used K3/P3, which "beats" a KX3 system used for a base, at about the cost of a KX3 system
4. Get a "limited" K3S/P3 system, which is similar in most ways to a KX3 system and can be expanded later

For the limited K3S option, I think I would do without a SubRX and filter set, no 2M, no new speakers, and come in at $5600. So not about saving money as much as delaying spend.

The used K3/P3 option is attractive, but I miss out on the "Next Generation" hardware and add some risk for used equipment. Past the 1 year warranty, I'm only trusting the owner that "as is" is fully functional.

The loaded KX3 system can be had used for ~$4000, so not to be dismissed. Expansion options are limited, but a KX3 system may exceed my needs/capabilities for several years. Who know what will be on the market in 2020?

Funds don't free up until 1AUG so I've got time for musing and more feedback.

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

Joel Black-2
Let me add a little to the fray then.

Up to recently, I had both the K3/P3 combo *and* a KX3. I sold the K3/P3 and added a PX3 to the KX3. I am looking to add the KXPA100 sooner or later.

My K3 had a lot of options:

100 W amp
2nd receiver
BPF on the 1st receiver
500 Hz CW filters in both receivers
2.7 kHz SSB filter in both receivers
TCXO
Tuner

Maybe other options, I cannot remember now.

Why did I sell the K3/P3? Well, my lifestyle changed. I work a regular 8-hour job sitting behind a desk. It dawned on me a couple of months ago, when I get home, I sit behind a desk. I took up mountain biking (and eventually running and swimming) to get out of the house more often. I pared down my operation to just the KX3 and added the PX3 because I like being able to see what I’m working - I’m spoiled.

Downsides to what I did? Yep:

1. Cannot easily switch between voice and data modes on the KX3.
2. Noise spikes all over the PX3 that drive my OCD haywire. This is a product more of how the PX3 receives spectrum from the KX3 and not the PX3 itself. I never saw all that noise on my P3 because it took the IF from the K3. The PX3 takes the I and Q. Now I get to try and get all the noise out of the shack *or* learn to live with it.
3. I have to run the RX SHFT at 8.0 kHz for every band so the KXFL3 is useless to me.

I am working on a 3 or 4PDT switch for the voice to data issue. I will use a macro on the PX3 to swap between the modes as I did on the K3. I haven’t really started working on the noise issue. Not sure how to address #3 as I just noticed it within the past day or two.

That said, I’m glad I made the swap. It is way more in line with my operating habits. I am not a contester although I will enter one every now and again. My greatest enjoyment comes from chasing SOTA summits and working SKCC contacts and the JT modes. The KX3/PX3 combo works great for all of those. I’m adding the KXPA100 just for any nets. I’m not in a huge hurry, just looking for a good deal.

So, take that or leave it. It’s just my personal experience based on *my* operating habits.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 06:17, MaverickNH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Summarizing some great offline feedback I'm getting, I can see a few options
> emerging:
>
> 1. Get a loaded K3S/P3
> 2. Get a loaded KX3/PX3/KXPA100 system
> 3. Get a loaded/used K3/P3, which "beats" a KX3 system used for a base, at
> about the cost of a KX3 system
> 4. Get a "limited" K3S/P3 system, which is similar in most ways to a KX3
> system and can be expanded later
>
> For the limited K3S option, I think I would do without a SubRX and filter
> set, no 2M, no new speakers, and come in at $5600. So not about saving money
> as much as delaying spend.
>
> The used K3/P3 option is attractive, but I miss out on the "Next Generation"
> hardware and add some risk for used equipment. Past the 1 year warranty, I'm
> only trusting the owner that "as is" is fully functional.
>
> The loaded KX3 system can be had used for ~$4000, so not to be dismissed.
> Expansion options are limited, but a KX3 system may exceed my
> needs/capabilities for several years. Who know what will be on the market in
> 2020?
>
> Funds don't free up until 1AUG so I've got time for musing and more
> feedback.

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

ve3ibw
Hi Joel,

For pain point #1: I set up two macros accessible via the same PF key on
the KX3.  The last couple of macro commands setup a toggle on each macro
line.  Makes switching between SSB and Digital very easy/fast with the
press of one button.  I offer the two macros for your consideration.
Adjust as you like.

KX3 commands to setup for SSB operation:
SWH29;MD2;BW0300;GT004;MG045;AG010;ML000;PC010;MN110;SWT19;SWH18;MN255;

KX3 commands to setup for Digital operation:
GT002;MG013;AG007;ML007;MD6;DT0;RG250;PA0;PC005;MN096;MP001;MN255;BW9999;SWH29;

For pain points 2 and 3, I too am suffering from these noise spikes.
Thanks for your experience and applied knowledge.  Helps me understand the
situation better.  I noticed these are more prominent when operating the
KX3/PX3 on a shared battery source via powerpoles.  When I operate the
KX3/PX3 with their individual wall warts when in the shack, I don't see the
centre frequency noise.  This is a recent revelation.  I too had to run the
RX shift at 8KHz this past FD and couldn't use narrowing techniques to
focus in on a particular PSK signal.  The noise peak was so strong it bled
300-500hz into the PSK bandpass.  I suppose I could have removed the PX3
from the equation as I really don't need it for PSK.  I had it more for
RTTY.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Joel Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > system and can be expanded later
> >
> > For the limited K3S option, I think I would do without a SubRX and filter
> > set, no 2M, no new speakers, and come in at $5600. So not about saving
> money
> > as much as delaying spend.
> >
> > The used K3/P3 option is attractive, but I miss out on the "Next
> Generation"
> > hardware and add some risk for used equipment. Past the 1 year warranty,
> I'm
> > only trusting the owner that "as is" is fully functional.
> >
> > The loaded KX3 system can be had used for ~$4000, so not to be dismissed.
> > Expansion options are limited, but a KX3 system may exceed my
> > needs/capabilities for several years. Who know what will be on the
> market in
> > 2020?
> >
> > Funds don't free up until 1AUG so I've got time for musing and more

Brian
VE3IBW

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 7:17 AM, MaverickNH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The used K3/P3 option is attractive, but I miss out on the "Next Generation"
> hardware and add some risk for used equipment. Past the 1 year warranty, I'm
> only trusting the owner that "as is" is fully functional.

No Elecraft warranty on second owner equipment, regardless of age.

Guess how I found out.
--
Marc  W8SDG

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

Reuben Popp
I've been monitoring this list for similar threads now for a bit now as my
situation is close to Maverick's.  I love my K2, but after having played
with some online sets via WebSDR.org and learning some basics on using a
panadapter has only piqued my interest to getting a newer set.  Data modes
are a new area for me to explore; something that's definitely doable with
the K2, but it takes a bit more effort to get it set up and working.
Beyond that, show me one guy (or gal) among us that has ever said no to the
possibility of a new radio.  ;)

The KX3 setup is appealing to me as I can keep the set near my bed where I
can listen later in the evening and yet keep it portable if I want to take
it with me.  The downsides of it are that it offers limited upgradeability
over time (I still haven't added all the options to my K2 that I built
years back) and what with no ticket, SWL and listening in on some nets are
my main interest.  By the time I end up getting a (new or old) KX3 along
with its panadapter and installing most of the add-ons, I will be
approaching the cost of a base model K3S.  And while I am by no means an
audiophile, I am curious as to how the KX3's bandwidth (~ 4kHz from what
I've read) on the broadcast bands compare to the K3S with the general
coverage module.

Either way, what with less than ten weeks before bambino number two arrives
for the xyl and I, it has been decreed by the missus that I had best make
this count as it will likely be the last large purchase for a bit.
Purchasing a used K3 and upgrading its components are a definite route as
Maverick mentions, but I agree that it imposes a bit of a limit in that I
won't have the "latest and greatest", if only to take advantage of any
improvements on design and/or layout of components.

73
Reuben

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 7:01 AM, Brian Waterworth <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> filter
> > > set, no 2M, no new speakers, and come in at $5600. So not about saving
> > money
> > > as much as delaying spend.
> > >
> > > The used K3/P3 option is attractive, but I miss out on the "Next
> > Generation"
> > > hardware and add some risk for used equipment. Past the 1 year
> warranty,
> > I'm
> > > only trusting the owner that "as is" is fully functional.
> > >
> > > The loaded KX3 system can be had used for ~$4000, so not to be
> dismissed.
> > > Expansion options are limited, but a KX3 system may exceed my
> > > needs/capabilities for several years. Who know what will be on the
> > market in
> > > 2020?
> > >
> > > Funds don't free up until 1AUG so I've got time for musing and more

Ah. I suppose Elecraft might cover issues beyond a year for original owners, for for a used unit, you pay the rate/parts. What was your experience, if you don't mind me asking.

Best regards,

Bret

aka Charles Jessee KC1CJN

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 7:17 AM, MaverickNH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The used K3/P3 option is attractive, but I miss out on the "Next Generation"
> hardware and add some risk for used equipment. Past the 1 year warranty, I'm
> only trusting the owner that "as is" is fully functional.

No Elecraft warranty on second owner equipment, regardless of age.

Guess how I found out.
--
Marc  W8SDG

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Another-KX3-vs-K3S-Query-tp7620068p7620128.html
To unsubscribe from Another KX3 vs K3S Query..., click here.
NAML

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

MaverickNH
Again, thanks for all the help on and off list. My ship came in a bit faster than expected, so I've been able to order a built K3S-100 today, with ATU, SubRX, DigVoice, GenRX, TCXO/REF, 2.8/1.8/1.0/400/250 8-pole filters, K-Pod, mike and headset as well as a P3 with TXMON and SVGA. No 2m module - had to economize somewhere ;-)

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

Clay Autery
Holy cow!!!  NICE!!!  You should be all set...

Start reading the Assembly manual...  3 times at least.
Get a box(es) with at least 30 compartments to separate out all the
hardware...

Also... do a 100% inventory BEFORE you start... It's a pain, but it will
save you a LOT of trouble and headaches if you're missing some hardware
if you get it on the way up front... and they like to only have to do
one shortage shipment if any at all.

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 7/15/2016 1:42 PM, MaverickNH wrote:
> Again, thanks for all the help on and off list. My ship came in a bit faster
> than expected, so I've been able to order a built K3S-100 today, with ATU,
> SubRX, DigVoice, GenRX, TCXO/REF, 2.8/1.8/1.0/400/250 8-pole filters, K-Pod,
> mike and headset as well as a P3 with TXMON and SVGA. No 2m module - had to
> economize somewhere ;-)

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

Merv Schweigert
Now why would he do all that?  He said he ordered a BUILT K3S-100

> Holy cow!!!  NICE!!!  You should be all set...
>
> Start reading the Assembly manual...  3 times at least.
> Get a box(es) with at least 30 compartments to separate out all the
> hardware...
>
> Also... do a 100% inventory BEFORE you start... It's a pain, but it will
> save you a LOT of trouble and headaches if you're missing some hardware
> if you get it on the way up front... and they like to only have to do
> one shortage shipment if any at all.
>
> ______________________
> Clay Autery, KY5G
> MONTAC Enterprises
> (318) 518-1389
>
> On 7/15/2016 1:42 PM, MaverickNH wrote:
>> Again, thanks for all the help on and off list. My ship came in a bit faster
>> than expected, so I've been able to order a built K3S-100 today, with ATU,
>> SubRX, DigVoice, GenRX, TCXO/REF, 2.8/1.8/1.0/400/250 8-pole filters, K-Pod,
>> mike and headset as well as a P3 with TXMON and SVGA. No 2m module - had to
>> economize somewhere ;-)

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

Clay Autery
Oops..  I missed that.  It would never occur to me to buy a "built" unit
if I could get it as a kit...  <wink>

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 7/15/2016 8:43 PM, Merv Schweigert wrote:

> Now why would he do all that?  He said he ordered a BUILT K3S-100
>

>> Holy cow!!!  NICE!!!  You should be all set...
>>
>> Start reading the Assembly manual...  3 times at least.
>> Get a box(es) with at least 30 compartments to separate out all the
>> hardware...
>>
>> Also... do a 100% inventory BEFORE you start... It's a pain, but it will
>> save you a LOT of trouble and headaches if you're missing some hardware
>> if you get it on the way up front... and they like to only have to do
>> one shortage shipment if any at all.
>>
>> ______________________
>> Clay Autery, KY5G
>> MONTAC Enterprises
>> (318) 518-1389
>>
>> On 7/15/2016 1:42 PM, MaverickNH wrote:
>>> Again, thanks for all the help on and off list. My ship came in a
>>> bit faster
>>> than expected, so I've been able to order a built K3S-100 today,
>>> with ATU,
>>> SubRX, DigVoice, GenRX, TCXO/REF, 2.8/1.8/1.0/400/250 8-pole
>>> filters, K-Pod,
>>> mike and headset as well as a P3 with TXMON and SVGA. No 2m module -
>>> had to
>>> economize somewhere ;-)

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

Chester Alderman
Awww......come on Merv.....be nice......obviously reading comprehension may
not be a requirement at MONTAC ???

Now why would he do all that?  He said he ordered a BUILT K3S-100

> Holy cow!!!  NICE!!!  You should be all set...
>
> Start reading the Assembly manual...  3 times at least.
> Get a box(es) with at least 30 compartments to separate out all the
> hardware...
>
> Also... do a 100% inventory BEFORE you start... It's a pain, but it
> will save you a LOT of trouble and headaches if you're missing some
> hardware if you get it on the way up front... and they like to only
> have to do one shortage shipment if any at all.
>
> ______________________
> Clay Autery, KY5G
> MONTAC Enterprises
> (318) 518-1389
>
> On 7/15/2016 1:42 PM, MaverickNH wrote:
>> Again, thanks for all the help on and off list. My ship came in a bit
>> faster than expected, so I've been able to order a built K3S-100
>> today, with ATU, SubRX, DigVoice, GenRX, TCXO/REF,
>> 2.8/1.8/1.0/400/250 8-pole filters, K-Pod, mike and headset as well
>> as a P3 with TXMON and SVGA. No 2m module - had to economize
>> somewhere ;-)

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: Another KX3 vs K3S Query...

MaverickNH
No densely packed Surface Mount components to solder on two sides of the PCB? Heck, hardly worth the effort. ;-)

Actually, I'm a bit of a newbie on kits, and didn't want to muck up my new K3S system. That, and the factory burn-in and re-alignment seemed like a real plus. I'll have fun enough learning the ins/outs from the manual and WE7X's book as I work my way along.

My wife could tell you that when she calls the repair guy to fix something around the house, they give her two phone estimate prices - the higher one is if I've already tried to fix it!