Anti Static Bench

Richard Thorne-4
I've been in my shop for 4 years now and I finally have a plan on how I
want to finish it out.

One of the features will be a place to build kit's or work on my K3's
which requires an antistatic mat.

I saw one of these in a catalog that came across my desk at work.
http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables?keywords=table
One of the table top options is made out of ESD material and has a
ground strap.  I would just by the table top, not the bench and
incorporate it into my remodel.

Has anyone ever used one of these.  Pro's, Con's?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC

Re: Anti Static Bench

Alan Bloom
I don't see anything on that web site that defines exactly what is meant
by the term "ESD top".  I'd be leery unless you can find some more
information.

Many devices advertised as "ESD mats" in fact do not work correctly -
their resistance is too high to bleed off the static discharge in a
reasonable time.  Several years ago I tested three different mats and
posted the results on this reflector:

http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft%40mailman.qth.net/msg94407.html

I recommend you not depend on the anti-static properties of any mat or
other device unless they specify that it meets  ANSI/ESD S4.1 or
ANSI/ESD S20.20.  If the only specification is that they use the words
"anti-static" or "ESD" in the product description then be very sceptical.

Alan N1AL

On 01/22/2016 11:15 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:

> I've been in my shop for 4 years now and I finally have a plan on how I
> want to finish it out.
>
> One of the features will be a place to build kit's or work on my K3's
> which requires an antistatic mat.
>
> I saw one of these in a catalog that came across my desk at work.
> http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables?keywords=table
> One of the table top options is made out of ESD material and has a
> ground strap.  I would just by the table top, not the bench and
> incorporate it into my remodel.
>
> Has anyone ever used one of these.  Pro's, Con's?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich - N5ZC

Re: Anti Static Bench

Peter Pauly
Just buy a regular bench or table and put something like this on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281634624339

That's what I used to build my K3S. Worked great and it even resists
soldering iron heat.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Richard Thorne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been in my shop for 4 years now and I finally have a plan on how I
> want to finish it out.
>
> One of the features will be a place to build kit's or work on my K3's
> which requires an antistatic mat.
>
> I saw one of these in a catalog that came across my desk at work.
> http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables?keywords=table One
> of the table top options is made out of ESD material and has a ground
> strap.  I would just by the table top, not the bench and incorporate it
> into my remodel.
>
> Has anyone ever used one of these.  Pro's, Con's?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich - N5ZC

Re: Anti Static Bench

Rich,

I agree with Alan - there is no information about the "ESD qualities" of
that top.

You may have better luck if you contact a local cabinetmaker and ask him
to build a top using laminate (like a kitchen countertop) to whatever
size you want.  Then get a proper ESD mat from a good supplier and place
it on the workbench top.  That is what I use, but I built my own (I ran
a custom woodworking shop to 10 years, so constructing such a workbench
was not a chore for me).  The ESD mat does not necessarily have to cover
the entire workbench, only the working area.

I suspect the total cost will be less than the workbench top you were
looking at.

On 1/22/2016 5:13 PM, Alan wrote:

> I don't see anything on that web site that defines exactly what is
> meant by the term "ESD top".  I'd be leery unless you can find some
> more information.
>
> Many devices advertised as "ESD mats" in fact do not work correctly -
> their resistance is too high to bleed off the static discharge in a
> reasonable time.  Several years ago I tested three different mats and
> posted the results on this reflector:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft%40mailman.qth.net/msg94407.html
>
> I recommend you not depend on the anti-static properties of any mat or
> other device unless they specify that it meets  ANSI/ESD S4.1 or
> ANSI/ESD S20.20.  If the only specification is that they use the words
> "anti-static" or "ESD" in the product description then be very sceptical.
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 01/22/2016 11:15 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:
>> I've been in my shop for 4 years now and I finally have a plan on how I
>> want to finish it out.
>>
>> One of the features will be a place to build kit's or work on my K3's
>> which requires an antistatic mat.
>>
>> I saw one of these in a catalog that came across my desk at work.
>> http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables?keywords=table
>> One of the table top options is made out of ESD material and has a
>> ground strap.  I would just by the table top, not the bench and
>> incorporate it into my remodel.

Re: Anti Static Bench

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops. Usually
in 4 ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.
Standard depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used
one for years.  Choose a light solid color as it makes small parts easy
to find.  These are much less expensive as opposed to a custom top.
Add an antistatic mat which can be used, moved or stowed away.

To support the top, I built a 2 x 4 frame with a riser that is 16"
deep.  This is the shelf for the test equipment to sit above the working
surface.  The shelf is covered with 1/4" Masonite.  The counter top then
sits some 12" lower and in front.  In the rise area, also filled with
1/4" Masonite, between the counter top and equipment shelf, I have
several GFI outlets, plus a 240 volt 20A outlet for working on amps,
along with 3  chassis mount 50 amp PowerPole connectors for my DC needs.

Just decide if you want a sit down bench or a stand up bench for
choosing the height above the floor.  I chose a stand up bench and I use
a tall bar stool with a back.  Don't choose a tall stool with casters,
otherwise you will become very friendly with the floor.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 1/23/2016 7:00 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Rich,
>
> I agree with Alan - there is no information about the "ESD qualities"
> of that top.
>
> You may have better luck if you contact a local cabinetmaker and ask
> him to build a top using laminate (like a kitchen countertop) to
> whatever size you want.  Then get a proper ESD mat from a good
> supplier and place it on the workbench top.  That is what I use, but I
> built my own (I ran a custom woodworking shop to 10 years, so
> constructing such a workbench was not a chore for me).  The ESD mat
> does not necessarily have to cover the entire workbench, only the
> working area.
>
> I suspect the total cost will be less than the workbench top you were
> looking at.

> On 1/22/2016 5:13 PM, Alan wrote:
>> I don't see anything on that web site that defines exactly what is
>> meant by the term "ESD top".  I'd be leery unless you can find some
>> more information.
>>
>> Many devices advertised as "ESD mats" in fact do not work correctly -
>> their resistance is too high to bleed off the static discharge in a
>> reasonable time.  Several years ago I tested three different mats and
>> posted the results on this reflector:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft%40mailman.qth.net/msg94407.html
>>
>> I recommend you not depend on the anti-static properties of any mat
>> or other device unless they specify that it meets  ANSI/ESD S4.1 or
>> ANSI/ESD S20.20.  If the only specification is that they use the
>> words "anti-static" or "ESD" in the product description then be very
>> sceptical.
>>
>> Alan N1AL
>>

>> On 01/22/2016 11:15 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:
>>> I've been in my shop for 4 years now and I finally have a plan on how I
>>> want to finish it out.
>>>
>>> One of the features will be a place to build kit's or work on my K3's
>>> which requires an antistatic mat.
>>>
>>> I saw one of these in a catalog that came across my desk at work.
>>> http://www.uline.com/BL_3853/Industrial-Packing-Tables?keywords=table
>>> One of the table top options is made out of ESD material and has a
>>> ground strap.  I would just by the table top, not the bench and
>>> incorporate it into my remodel.

Re: Anti Static Bench

Mark Goldberg
I agree with the previous responses. ESD material does wear out,
especially in my dry climate. It has to be replaced once in a while.
In commercial operations is is tested on a schedule and discarded if
it does not pass. It has to be conductive enough to keep parts from
damage and resistive enough to not allow a shock.

I would like to offer another option.

Home Depot will sell you workbench legs, I bought these but they have
several sizes. They were shipped free

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-33-in-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-Legs-ABL30/204417821;jsessionid=E3520EC0F5BF7CC72323A1EF2F5C2DE0
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-5-in-x-72-in-Work-Bench-Stringer-ST72/204417825

I then laminated 1/8 masonite on a solid core door, routed the edges
and put oak edge banding on just for grins to make the bench tops. I
also but blocks under the legs to make it taller for a stand up bench.

Take a look at my qrz.com page for pictures.

It saved a bunch of money over a standard lab type workbench and I had
fun making it. A standard countertop or similar would go on the legs
easily, they just screw onto the bottom. The legs are very sturdy. I
just put ESD mat on the work surface area. The edge banding was not
the best idea, it tends to chip easily. I connected my ground system
to the metal legs, maybe it helps as a counterpoise, maybe it makes no
difference.

73,

Mark
W7MLG

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops. Usually in 4
> ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.  Standard
> depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used one for years.

Re: Anti Static Bench

Fred Townsend-2
Richard I have worked with some of the most static sensitive parts in the
world, tunnel diodes. When working for NASA we had to do a failure modes
analysis on any parts that failed. I would say the quality of the ESD
material ranked at the bottom of factors to take into account. Particularly
since any top would be used in conjunction with an antistatic mat. The mats
do wear out in the sense that the rubber dries out and they tend to crumble.
Other than that I find they all do the job.  There is wide latitude.
In terms of tops you do not want such as metal or any slick plastic or vinyl
surfaces where things slide. I think the ones we used were either wood or
composition. I think your ESD top would be fine.
Some of the little things are very important. Don't use storage bins with
little polystyrene trays for anything. (I like muffin tins.) Likewise keep
Styrofoam out of the room. I have measured 5KV on a Styrofoam cup that had
coffee in it. Our pot cores came packed in Styrofoam. We had the stockroom
unload them and repack in metal trays. Keep the humidity in the range of 40
to 60%RH. Wear only cotton clothing and make sure your soldering iron is
grounded. If you wax the floors use an antistatic wax. Use only pink or
silver antistatic bags such as Elecraft uses. Leave the ZIP lock bags in
your kitchen. BTW if you are one that thinks that ESD devices must be in a
certain narrow range of resistance, measure the resistance of an antistatic
bag. You'll find the range is way out of sight. The trick here is not to
generate ESD rather than dissipating ESD after you make it.
73
Fred, AE6QL

wrote:
> Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops. Usually
> in 4 ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.
Standard
> depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used one for
years.

Re: Anti Static Bench

efortner
And don't forget those rubber shop mats on the floor.

Earl, K4KAY

wrote:
> Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops. Usually
> in 4 ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.
Standard
> depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used one for
years.

Re: Anti Static Bench

Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
A static-reduction trick from my hospital CCU's days where we treated
electrically susceptible patients with electrodes connected to cardiac
organs:

If you have a carpeted shack, shampoo the carpet with detergent but add a
healthy dose of liquid fabric softener to the shampoo water. Dramatically
reduces static buildup in low humidity winter weather.

-larry (K8UT)

wrote:
> Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops. Usually
> in 4 ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.
Standard
> depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used one for
years.

Re: Anti Static Bench

Edward R Cole
In my hamshack (spare bedroom) I have my electronic workbench which
is a 4-foot Sears workbench with tool cabinet to which I extended the
top with a 3-foot piece of particle-board shelving held up with big
shelf brackets to the wall.

I built my KXPA-100 kit with anti-static matt lain on the bench top,
yesterday.  If there is suitable prop on 20m today, I will check into
the Elecraft Net with it driven by my K3/10.  Have not, yet,
connected the KX3 via the optional control cables.  I was surprised
that the amp was driven fully with only 3w from the K3/10 on HF;
takes 8w on 6m for 80w.

Also surprised with its size; very suitable partner with the KX3 (or my K3/10).

73, Ed
PS: we were shaken up early this morning by 7.1 earthquake about 80
mi sw of us.  Mostly stuff knocked off shelves and loss of utility
power for a few hours.  It did snap the drawer runner for one of my
drawers in the bathroom.  There was a 6.4 earthquake 2-seconds later
5-mi from the first so we got the combined jolts - lasted about a minute.

From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

Rich,

I agree with Alan - there is no information about the "ESD qualities" of
that top.

You may have better luck if you contact a local cabinetmaker and ask him
to build a top using laminate (like a kitchen countertop) to whatever
size you want.  Then get a proper ESD mat from a good supplier and place
it on the workbench top.  That is what I use, but I built my own (I ran
a custom woodworking shop to 10 years, so constructing such a workbench
was not a chore for me).  The ESD mat does not necessarily have to cover
the entire workbench, only the working area.

I suspect the total cost will be less than the workbench top you were
looking at.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: Anti Static Bench

Jerry Moore
Seems to massive overkill if you're only casually needing ESD once in a while. If you're going to go all the way then you need a temp/humidity controlled clean room with full ESD. For 99% of us a matt/strap setup and basic precaution is more than sufficient. It all comes down to risk management.
Anyway,  to each their own.

On January 23, 2016 8:50:16 PM EST, Mark Goldberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I agree with the previous responses. ESD material does wear out,
>especially in my dry climate. It has to be replaced once in a while.
>In commercial operations is is tested on a schedule and discarded if
>it does not pass. It has to be conductive enough to keep parts from
>damage and resistive enough to not allow a shock.
>
>I would like to offer another option.
>
>Home Depot will sell you workbench legs, I bought these but they have
>several sizes. They were shipped free
>
>http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-33-in-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-Legs-ABL30/204417821;jsessionid=E3520EC0F5BF7CC72323A1EF2F5C2DE0
>http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-5-in-x-72-in-Work-Bench-Stringer-ST72/204417825
>
>I then laminated 1/8 masonite on a solid core door, routed the edges
>and put oak edge banding on just for grins to make the bench tops. I
>also but blocks under the legs to make it taller for a stand up bench.
>
>Take a look at my qrz.com page for pictures.
>
>It saved a bunch of money over a standard lab type workbench and I had
>fun making it. A standard countertop or similar would go on the legs
>easily, they just screw onto the bottom. The legs are very sturdy. I
>just put ESD mat on the work surface area. The edge banding was not
>the best idea, it tends to chip easily. I connected my ground system
>to the metal legs, maybe it helps as a counterpoise, maybe it makes no
>difference.
>
>73,
>
>Mark
>W7MLG
>

>On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops.
>Usually in 4
>> ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.
>Standard
>> depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used one for
>years.

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Anti Static Bench

John Pitz
I would think that just a simple blue ESD mat, and a wrist strap, on
your favorite workbench is more than sufficient for any home based hobby
operation.  If you really wanted to be thorough about it a warm mist
humidifier going in the room your workbench is in would be a helpful and
inexpensive addition.  Just be sure your blue mat is solidly connected
to ground...

On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 18:29 -0500, Jerry Moore wrote:

> Seems to massive overkill if you're only casually needing ESD once in a while. If you're going to go all the way then you need a temp/humidity controlled clean room with full ESD. For 99% of us a matt/strap setup and basic precaution is more than sufficient. It all comes down to risk management.
> Anyway,  to each their own.
>
> On January 23, 2016 8:50:16 PM EST, Mark Goldberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >I agree with the previous responses. ESD material does wear out,
> >especially in my dry climate. It has to be replaced once in a while.
> >In commercial operations is is tested on a schedule and discarded if
> >it does not pass. It has to be conductive enough to keep parts from
> >damage and resistive enough to not allow a shock.
> >
> >I would like to offer another option.
> >
> >Home Depot will sell you workbench legs, I bought these but they have
> >several sizes. They were shipped free
> >
> >http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-33-in-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-Legs-ABL30/204417821;jsessionid=E3520EC0F5BF7CC72323A1EF2F5C2DE0
> >http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-5-in-x-72-in-Work-Bench-Stringer-ST72/204417825
> >
> >I then laminated 1/8 masonite on a solid core door, routed the edges
> >and put oak edge banding on just for grins to make the bench tops. I
> >also but blocks under the legs to make it taller for a stand up bench.
> >
> >Take a look at my qrz.com page for pictures.
> >
> >It saved a bunch of money over a standard lab type workbench and I had
> >fun making it. A standard countertop or similar would go on the legs
> >easily, they just screw onto the bottom. The legs are very sturdy. I
> >just put ESD mat on the work surface area. The edge banding was not
> >the best idea, it tends to chip easily. I connected my ground system
> >to the metal legs, maybe it helps as a counterpoise, maybe it makes no
> >difference.
> >
> >73,
> >
> >Mark
> >W7MLG
> >

> >On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >> Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops.
> >Usually in 4
> >> ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors.
> >Standard
> >> depth including the back splash is about 25".    I have used one for
> >years.
> >Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Anti Static Bench

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
Hi Rich,

regarding the ESD mat functionality my 2c info:

1. The top layer must be dissipative
2. The bottom layer must be conductive
3. Its nice when its oil, grease and solvent resistant, high temp resistant, acid
proof and knife cut proof material.
4. Mat must be connected to ground thru 1.5M resistor, NOT ditectly in order to thru body current limitation if an accident!
5. Wristband is connected to mat in normal cases also thru 1.5M resistor.

More info you can find here in article:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,84533.msg616867.html#msg616867

There is complete set with high resistant profi grade mat
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10661

We still have them in radioclub´s stock available as we bought from supplier big package in order to get good price. So don´t hesitate to drop me an email if you want them.

73 - Petr, OK1RP
STMicroelectronics
Laboratory test equipment,
Design and application, Prague, CR