Beta 5r10

Mike Harris-9
G'day,

Just installed Beta 5r10.  What a dreadful shame that the Dual PB
"context/focus" mode has been done away with.  I used it a lot whilst
tuning up the band S&P handing out points in CW contests.  Nice and
smooth, easy listening, gently alerting you to the next signal in line.
  The APF sounds ghastly, always seemingly on the edge of  ringing.

Backwards step, sorry.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: Beta 5r10

alsopb
It also took the VFO link away from the buttons. I use it all the time while alternating between pileup busting and normal tuning around,  Fortunately I have that function programmed in an external button box.  No spare K3 programmable buttons available.

Brian/K3KO

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 14, 2015, at 8:04 PM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> G'day,
>
> Just installed Beta 5r10.  What a dreadful shame that the Dual PB "context/focus" mode has been done away with.  I used it a lot whilst tuning up the band S&P handing out points in CW contests.  Nice and smooth, easy listening, gently alerting you to the next signal in line.  The APF sounds ghastly, always seemingly on the edge of  ringing.
>
> Backwards step, sorry.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: Beta 5r10

Guy Olinger K2AV
One thing I like about it is that a "hold" on the SUB button now puts
you back in diversity immediately. Quick way to get it back when a
split spot has turned it off.

I still would like to see variable APF to let me set it a little
farther off ringing, or put a wider peak on some situations. Use the
RIT control to control APF bandwidth if RIT and XIT are off. That
other fast tune thing with the RIT knob winds up happening when I
forget it's on. Now I can't find the menu entry to turn it off.

73, Guy K2AV

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It also took the VFO link away from the buttons. I use it all the time while alternating between pileup busting and normal tuning around,  Fortunately I have that function programmed in an external button box.  No spare K3 programmable buttons available.
>
> Brian/K3KO

Re: Beta 5r10

Mike (et al),

It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular. But with this input, we'll reconsider.

----
http://www.elecraft.com

> On Feb 14, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> G'day,
>
> Just installed Beta 5r10.  What a dreadful shame that the Dual PB "context/focus" mode has been done away with.  I used it a lot whilst tuning up the band S&P handing out points in CW contests.  Nice and smooth, easy listening, gently alerting you to the next signal in line.  The APF sounds ghastly, always seemingly on the edge of  ringing.
>
> Backwards step, sorry.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: Beta 5r10

Phil Wheeler-2
Wayne,

Will this become non-beta (released) before the
new synth cards arrive, or should we go ahead and
install the beta now?

Phil W7OX

On 2/14/15 8:04 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Mike (et al),
>
> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular. But with this input, we'll reconsider.
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne
>
> ----
> http://www.elecraft.com
>
>> On Feb 14, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> G'day,
>>
>> Just installed Beta 5r10.  What a dreadful shame that the Dual PB "context/focus" mode has been done away with.  I used it a lot whilst tuning up the band S&P handing out points in CW contests.  Nice and smooth, easy listening, gently alerting you to the next signal in line.  The APF sounds ghastly, always seemingly on the edge of  ringing.
>>
>> Backwards step, sorry.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike VP8NO

Re: Beta 5r10

Mike K2MK
Hi Mike,

I don't have Beta 5r10 so I'm a little confused by the comments in your post and the subsequent posts. I use Dual PB all of the time for RTTY. Is it still fully functional in RTTY?

73,
Mike K2MK

Mike Harris-9 wrote
G'day,

Just installed Beta 5r10.  What a dreadful shame that the Dual PB
"context/focus" mode has been done away with.  I used it a lot whilst
tuning up the band S&P handing out points in CW contests.  Nice and
smooth, easy listening, gently alerting you to the next signal in line.
  The APF sounds ghastly, always seemingly on the edge of  ringing.

Backwards step, sorry.
Regards,
Mike VP8NO

K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
Wayne,

Please do not take out LINK. I'm using it a lot in contests and in
DXpedition work

Just to give you and others the idea:
With both main and sub RX's on the same freq, mode  and BW  I link them
with LINK.
But here comes the fun part. When working with the N1MM logger I use
F9-F12 to quickly command the audio from the K3 main and sub:
- F9 = listen A-B
- F10 = listen A-A
- F11 = listen B-B
- F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B and
LINK the VFO's.

This unique flexibility of the K3 is impossible in the DIVERSITY mode.
so P L E A S E , keep LINK in there.

73
Arie PA3A

Wayne Burdick schreef op 15-2-2015 om 5:04:
> Mike (et al),
>
> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular. But with this input, we'll reconsider.
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

alsopb
Question: does anybody really use XFIL?
Perhaps relocation of diversity there makes more sense.

73 de Brian/K3KO
On 2/15/2015 14:48 PM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Please do not take out LINK. I'm using it a lot in contests and in
> DXpedition work
>
> Just to give you and others the idea:
> With both main and sub RX's on the same freq, mode  and BW  I link
> them with LINK.
> But here comes the fun part. When working with the N1MM logger I use
> F9-F12 to quickly command the audio from the K3 main and sub:
> - F9 = listen A-B
> - F10 = listen A-A
> - F11 = listen B-B
> - F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B and
> LINK the VFO's.
>
> This unique flexibility of the K3 is impossible in the DIVERSITY mode.
> so P L E A S E , keep LINK in there.
>
> 73
> Arie PA3A
>
> Wayne Burdick schreef op 15-2-2015 om 5:04:
>> Mike (et al),
>>
>> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the
>> original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was
>> using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular.
>> But with this input, we'll reconsider.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wayne

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 2015-02-15 9:55 AM, brian wrote:
> Question: does anybody really use XFIL?
> Perhaps relocation of diversity there makes more sense.

No, retaining the dual context CW filter and assigning APF to XFIL
and Dual PB to the current DUAL PB function makes more sense.

Leave DIV as SUB Hold as it is in 5.10 and make LINK available
as a programmable function (LN0;/LN1;).   Having LINK as SUB
HOLD and DIV as an extra long hold is/was very difficult from
an ergonomic perspective.

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Mike Reublin NF4L
I really do.

73, Mike NF4L

> On Feb 15, 2015, at 9:55 AM, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Question: does anybody really use XFIL?
> Perhaps relocation of diversity there makes more sense.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
> On 2/15/2015 14:48 PM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:
>> Wayne,
>>
>> Please do not take out LINK. I'm using it a lot in contests and in DXpedition work
>>
>> Just to give you and others the idea:
>> With both main and sub RX's on the same freq, mode  and BW  I link them with LINK.
>> But here comes the fun part. When working with the N1MM logger I use F9-F12 to quickly command the audio from the K3 main and sub:
>> - F9 = listen A-B
>> - F10 = listen A-A
>> - F11 = listen B-B
>> - F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B and LINK the VFO's.
>>
>> This unique flexibility of the K3 is impossible in the DIVERSITY mode.
>> so P L E A S E , keep LINK in there.
>>
>> 73
>> Arie PA3A
>>
>> Wayne Burdick schreef op 15-2-2015 om 5:04:
>>> Mike (et al),
>>>
>>> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular. But with this input, we'll reconsider.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Wayne

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

N2TK
Hi Arie,
I am not sure I understand what LINK does to help when both receivers are on
the same freq. What does F9-F12 below do to help?
Tnx
N2TK, Tony

Please do not take out LINK. I'm using it a lot in contests and in
DXpedition work

Just to give you and others the idea:
With both main and sub RX's on the same freq, mode  and BW  I link them with
LINK.
But here comes the fun part. When working with the N1MM logger I use
F9-F12 to quickly command the audio from the K3 main and sub:
- F9 = listen A-B
- F10 = listen A-A
- F11 = listen B-B
- F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B and LINK
the VFO's.

This unique flexibility of the K3 is impossible in the DIVERSITY mode.
so P L E A S E , keep LINK in there.

73
Arie PA3A

Wayne Burdick schreef op 15-2-2015 om 5:04:
> Mike (et al),
>
> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the original
dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was using it (same
with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular. But with this input,
we'll reconsider.

> Thanks,
> Wayne

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

N2TK
Never
N2TK, Tony

Perhaps relocation of diversity there makes more sense.

73 de Brian/K3KO
On 2/15/2015 14:48 PM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Please do not take out LINK. I'm using it a lot in contests and in
> DXpedition work
>
> Just to give you and others the idea:
> With both main and sub RX's on the same freq, mode  and BW  I link
> them with LINK.
> But here comes the fun part. When working with the N1MM logger I use
> F9-F12 to quickly command the audio from the K3 main and sub:
> - F9 = listen A-B
> - F10 = listen A-A
> - F11 = listen B-B
> - F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B and
> LINK the VFO's.
>
> This unique flexibility of the K3 is impossible in the DIVERSITY mode.
> so P L E A S E , keep LINK in there.
>
> 73
> Arie PA3A
>
> Wayne Burdick schreef op 15-2-2015 om 5:04:
>> Mike (et al),
>>
>> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the
>> original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one was
>> using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely popular.
>> But with this input, we'll reconsider.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wayne

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
> [hidden email]
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> 02/15/15

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Dave-7

On 2/15/15 8:55 AM, brian wrote:
> Question: does anybody really use XFIL?

Of course, all the time. It is much better than twisting the knob a
dozen times.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4

> Perhaps relocation of diversity there makes more sense.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
> On 2/15/2015 14:48 PM, Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:
>> Wayne,
>>
>> Please do not take out LINK. I'm using it a lot in contests and in
>> DXpedition work
>>
>> Just to give you and others the idea:
>> With both main and sub RX's on the same freq, mode  and BW  I link
>> them with LINK.
>> But here comes the fun part. When working with the N1MM logger I use
>> F9-F12 to quickly command the audio from the K3 main and sub:
>> - F9 = listen A-B
>> - F10 = listen A-A
>> - F11 = listen B-B
>> - F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B
>> and LINK the VFO's.
>>
>> This unique flexibility of the K3 is impossible in the DIVERSITY mode.
>> so P L E A S E , keep LINK in there.
>>
>> 73
>> Arie PA3A
>>
>> Wayne Burdick schreef op 15-2-2015 om 5:04:
>>> Mike (et al),
>>>
>>> It's beta, experimental, subject to further revision. We took the
>>> original dual-PB out based on earlier feedback suggesting no one
>>> was using it (same with LINK). APF, in contrast, has been hugely
>>> popular. But with this input, we'll reconsider.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Wayne

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
>> 02/15/15

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

alsopb
Joe,

I agree with the last sentence.   From my perspective (never use
diversity) diversity got in the way and thus what the bad actor. Thus it
ought to be relocated.

It depends upon how you operate.

Making something available as a programmable function doesn't mean one
has some programmable button left to place it on.

> On 2015-02-15 9:55 AM, brian wrote:
>> Question: does anybody really use XFIL?
>> Perhaps relocation of diversity there makes more sense.
>
> No, retaining the dual context CW filter and assigning APF to XFIL
> and Dual PB to the current DUAL PB function makes more sense.
>
> Leave DIV as SUB Hold as it is in 5.10 and make LINK available
> as a programmable function (LN0;/LN1;).   Having LINK as SUB
> HOLD and DIV as an extra long hold is/was very difficult from
> an ergonomic perspective.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Kevin Stover
Maybe it's time for Elecraft to provide more buttons on an outboard
tuning knob/buttons appliance.
Pig Knob maybe.

On 2/15/2015 10:14 AM, brian wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I agree with the last sentence.   From my perspective (never use
> diversity) diversity got in the way and thus what the bad actor. Thus
> it ought to be relocated.
>
> It depends upon how you operate.
>
> Making something available as a programmable function doesn't mean one
> has some programmable button left to place it on.

-- R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
  SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Ken G Kopp
PLEASE .... no "pig knob" type of device!

It's obvious that the user's desires can't all be met.  The challenge
becomes a case of who gets Wayne's attention.

And I have -no- interest in a bigger radio just to accommodate more knobs.
YAECOMWOOD already has that covered.  (;-)

73

K0PP
On Feb 15, 2015 9:23 AM, "Kevin Stover" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe it's time for Elecraft to provide more buttons on an outboard tuning
> knob/buttons appliance.
> Pig Knob maybe.
>
> On 2/15/2015 10:14 AM, brian wrote:
>
>> Joe,
>>
>> I agree with the last sentence.   From my perspective (never use
>> diversity) diversity got in the way and thus what the bad actor. Thus it
>> ought to be relocated.
>>
>> It depends upon how you operate.
>>
>> Making something available as a programmable function doesn't mean one
>> has some programmable button left to place it on.
>>
>>  -- R. Kevin Stover
> AC0H
> ARRL
> FISTS #11993
>  SKCC #215
> NAQCC #3441

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Kevin Stover
Well...if you don't want it...DON'T BUY IT.
Apparently the K3 has reached the point that the firmware feature set
has out paced the physical UI.
There aren't enough buttons left to keep all of the current features?

There is a port on the bottom of every K3 that doesn't get used once it
leaves the factory.
Use that port for an external appliance to add more programmable buttons
rather than dumping features from the firmware because some overly loud
minority doesn't use the feature.

If diversity mode is going away why would anybody NEED to buy the second
RX and filters other than to make running split easier?

The feature set in the K3

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
Tony

LINK ties both VFO's to the mail freq dial en keeps them insync when you
turn the dial knob.
So both receivers keep working on the same freq.

What I often use i diversity listening so with two receivers and two
antennas on the samen freq.
Diversity puts the main RX audio on the left ear of the headset, and the
Sub on the right ear. That's the normal situation.
In my case, the F9-F12 buttons in N1MM contain commands to the K3 that
switch the audio to my liking (that can  also be done in the Config, but
that takes too much time during QSO) This way I can switch listening
from diversity (listen both MainRX and SubRX at same time) to only main
RX (main RX audio on both ears)   or only sub RX (Sub RX audio on both
ears) depending on where the signal is best.
The commands to do this are in the programmers manual of the K3. It's
really fun to control some beautiful K3 features from the keyboard like
this.

73
Arie PA3A

N2TK, Tony schreef op 15-2-2015 om 16:38:
> Hi Arie,
> I am not sure I understand what LINK does to help when both receivers are on
> the same freq. What does F9-F12 below do to help?
> Tnx
> N2TK, Tony
> - F9 = listen A-B
> - F10 = listen A-A
> - F11 = listen B-B
> - F12 contains the commands to copy VFO freq and mode from A to B and LINK
> the VFO's.

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

NK7Z
I would LOVE to see a Pig Knob type of device for the K3!  No actual
knob looking like a pig, but an external keypad would be wonderful!
Especially if it were a touch screen.
--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

On Sun, 2015-02-15 at 09:37 -0700, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> PLEASE .... no "pig knob" type of device!
>
> It's obvious that the user's desires can't all be met.  The challenge
> becomes a case of who gets Wayne's attention.
>
> And I have -no- interest in a bigger radio just to accommodate more knobs.
> YAECOMWOOD already has that covered.  (;-)
>
> 73
>
> K0PP
> On Feb 15, 2015 9:23 AM, "Kevin Stover" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's time for Elecraft to provide more buttons on an outboard tuning
> > knob/buttons appliance.
> > Pig Knob maybe.
> >
> > On 2/15/2015 10:14 AM, brian wrote:
> >
> >> Joe,
> >>
> >> I agree with the last sentence.   From my perspective (never use
> >> diversity) diversity got in the way and thus what the bad actor. Thus it
> >> ought to be relocated.
> >>
> >> It depends upon how you operate.
> >>
> >> Making something available as a programmable function doesn't mean one
> >> has some programmable button left to place it on.
> >>
> >>  -- R. Kevin Stover
> > AC0H
> > ARRL
> > FISTS #11993
> >  SKCC #215
> > NAQCC #3441

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 Beta 5r10 and LINK

Diversity mode is *not* going away.
It is the VFO LINK that is not going to be available at the hold of a
button.  There are other means to link the VFOs is someone want to do
that.  Macros can be created to do many things not easily available from
the K3 buttons.  And then there are loggers that can issue macros, and
most everyone runs with a logger although there are a some holdouts with
a paper log.

How many times have we heard on this reflector about a "problem" because
VFO B is following VFO A.  I imagine it results in many unnecessary
customer support calls and emails as well.

IMHO, this thread has become a bit distorted as the result of varied
opinions.