Bonito RadioCom 6

KK6ZZP
The Elecraft K3 is reported to be supported by RadioCom 6 in several places
on Bonito's web site and elsewhere. However the K3 does not appear in the
selectable list of radio drivers in the RadioCom 6 set up program.

Does anyone know the trick to getting the K3 to work with Radio Com 6?

I'm actually trying to get the KX3 to work with Radio Com 6. But it's*
not* listed
as a supported radio. So I figured I'd first try to get the K3 to work. If
anyone knows the trick to getting the KX3 to work, if such exists, I'd very
much like to know that.

Thanks!

Cheers,

--
Bill McCarty

Sent from my Cray CX1 supercomputer--I'm still saving for a CX2

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Robert Nobis - N7RJN
According to the Bonito web site the Elecraft K3 is supported, but there is no indication that the KX3 is supported.

73,

Bob Nobis - N7RJN
[hidden email]

> On May 10, 2016, at 06:36, tomb18 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try Kenwood as a radio  Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone. - Original message - From: W B McCarty <[hidden email]> Date: 2016-05-10 4:03 AM (GMT-05:00) Date:2016-05-10 4:03 AM (GMT-05:00) To: [hidden email] Cc: Subject: [Elecraft] Bonito RadioCom 6The Elecraft K3 is reported to be supported by RadioCom 6 in several places
> on Bonito's web site and elsewhere. However the K3 does not appear in the
> selectable list of radio drivers in the RadioCom 6 set up program.
>
> Does anyone know the trick to getting the K3 to work with Radio Com 6?
>
> I'm actually trying to get the KX3 to work with Radio Com 6. But it's*
> not* listed
> as a supported radio. So I figured I'd first try to get the K3 to work. If
> anyone knows the trick to getting the KX3 to work, if such exists, I'd very
> much like to know that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Bill McCarty
>
> Sent from my Cray CX1 supercomputer--I'm still saving for a CX2

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

tomb18
HiThe Kenwood protocol is the same as the Elecraft protocol for commands such as frequency,  band etc. I would try using one of the Kenwood radios for the K3 and kx3. There's lots of equipment out there that will work if you do this and the software doesn't try to identify the radio.Tomva2fsq.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.-------- Original message --------From: Robert Nobis <[hidden email]> Date: 2016-05-10  9:59 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: tomb18 <[hidden email]> Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Bonito RadioCom 6
According to the Bonito web site the Elecraft K3 is supported, but there is no indication that the KX3 is supported.

73,

Bob Nobis - N7RJN
[hidden email]

> On May 10, 2016, at 06:36, tomb18 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try Kenwood as a radio  Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone. - Original message - From: W B McCarty <[hidden email]> Date: 2016-05-10 4:03 AM (GMT-05:00) Date:2016-05-10 4:03 AM (GMT-05:00) To: [hidden email] Cc: Subject: [Elecraft] Bonito RadioCom 6The Elecraft K3 is reported to be supported by RadioCom 6 in several places
> on Bonito's web site and elsewhere. However the K3 does not appear in the
> selectable list of radio drivers in the RadioCom 6 set up program.
>
> Does anyone know the trick to getting the K3 to work with Radio Com 6?
>
> I'm actually trying to get the KX3 to work with Radio Com 6. But it's*
> not* listed
> as a supported radio. So I figured I'd first try to get the K3 to work. If
> anyone knows the trick to getting the KX3 to work, if such exists, I'd very
> much like to know that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Bill McCarty
>
> Sent from my Cray CX1 supercomputer--I'm still saving for a CX2

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Wes Stewart-2
Actually, Elecraft uses the Kenwood protocol.  When I got my first K3 I told my
logging program it was my 12-year-old TS-870.

On 5/10/2016 10:11 AM, tomb18 wrote:

> HiThe Kenwood protocol is the same as the Elecraft protocol for commands such as frequency,  band etc. I would try using one of the Kenwood radios for the K3 and kx3. There's lots of equipment out there that will work if you do this and the software doesn't try to identify the radio.Tomva2fsq.com
>

> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.-------- Original message --------From: Robert Nobis <[hidden email]> Date: 2016-05-10  9:59 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: tomb18 <[hidden email]> Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Bonito RadioCom 6
> According to the Bonito web site the Elecraft K3 is supported, but there is no indication that the KX3 is supported.
>
> 73,
>

> Bob Nobis - N7RJN

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

KK6ZZP
Thanks for all the information!

To my surprise, Bonito answered with lightning speed. Per Bonito, the
specific Kenwood model to use with the K3 is the TS2000. I had tried the
TS570 and TS870 without success before posting here. (But I was actually
using a KX3, not a K3, as explained below; presumably a K3 would have
worked, as stated to me by Bonito.)

As I wrote the KX3 is not listed as officially supported. My hope was that
the KX3 might be similar enough to the K3 that if the K3 worked the KX3
would also work. My thinking was that since the Kenwood driver works with
the K3 then the driver can't be all that particular. However, specifying
TS2000 as the radio did not work in the context of a USB connection between
the KX3 and PC and nothing other than the PC attached to the Bonito dongle,
which is a recommended configuration.

There remains the possibility of making a serial connection between the KX3
and the Bonito dongle, which might do the trick. Doing so would require a
custom cable with a DB-9 on one side and connections to the KX3's ACC1,
ACC2, and phone out jacks on the other. Details are given in the entry
pertaining to the K3 in the table at
http://www.bonito.net/service/make_radio_list.php3?language=en&R1=LB#HAM
<http://www.bonito.net/service/make_radio_list.php3?language=en&R1=LB#HAM.>.

I did specifically request that Bonito support the KX3. Bonito has not
responded to my request; I don't anticipate that they will do so.

Before closing I should share my opinion that RadioCom is one of the
hardest programs to configure and among the least reliable contemporary PC
programs I've used. I put up with it because it needs to be configured from
scratch only once and because when it does work I find it useful and
convenient. I wouldn't want anyone to purchase the program based on my
mention without first reading some of the many reviews available, including
those on eHam.net <http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4610>, where at the
time of this writing the program had received an overall score of 1.4/5
[sic].

Cheers,

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Wes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, Elecraft uses the Kenwood protocol.  When I got my first K3 I
> told my logging program it was my 12-year-old TS-870.
>
> On 5/10/2016 10:11 AM, tomb18 wrote:
>
>> HiThe Kenwood protocol is the same as the Elecraft protocol for commands
>> such as frequency,  band etc. I would try using one of the Kenwood radios
>> for the K3 and kx3. There's lots of equipment out there that will work if
>> you do this and the software doesn't try to identify the
>> radio.Tomva2fsq.com
>>

>> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.-------- Original message
>> --------From: Robert Nobis <[hidden email]> Date: 2016-05-10  9:59 AM
>> (GMT-05:00) To: tomb18 <[hidden email]> Cc: [hidden email],
>> [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Bonito RadioCom 6
>> According to the Bonito web site the Elecraft K3 is supported, but there
>> is no indication that the KX3 is supported.
>>
>> 73,
>>

>> Bob Nobis - N7RJN
>> [hidden email]

Bill McCarty

Sent from my Cray CX1 supercomputer--I'm still saving for a CX2

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Don Wilhelm
Elecraft does sell a DB-9 to 3.5mm cable to work between a serial port
and the KX3.
it is the  KXSERa (3.5mm to DB9-F): Extra Cable 3.5mm to RS232 DB9-F for
KX3.
The DB9 connector is female, but if necessary you can add a gender changer.

On 5/10/2016 5:23 PM, W B McCarty wrote:
> There remains the possibility of making a serial connection between the KX3
> and the Bonito dongle, which might do the trick. Doing so would require a
> custom cable with a DB-9 on one side and connections to the KX3's ACC1,
> ACC2, and phone out jacks on the other. Details are given in the entry
> pertaining to the K3 in the table at
> http://www.bonito.net/service/make_radio_list.php3?language=en&R1=LB#HAM
> <http://www.bonito.net/service/make_radio_list.php3?language=en&R1=LB#HAM.>.

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Tony Estep
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM, W B McCarty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... I should share my opinion that RadioCom is one of the
> hardest programs to configure and among the least reliable contemporary PC
> programs I've used....

=============
A few years ago I bought and tried a Bonito program. At that time the
decoding of nearly every mode was so error-filled as to be useless. I spent
some time comparing it to other digital programs available at the time,
especially that vintage of MixW. Finally I gave up.

Hopefully, things have changed. Commercial-quality software is not as easy
to develop as many enterpreneurially-minded programmers think it is. Bonito
needed to have a lot of turnover in its senior development team. And to be
fair, perhaps it has. Some of the other ham software providers have
upgraded their capabilities with new and more skilled developers, and maybe
the same is true of Bonito. But they left a bad impression with me.

Tony KT0NY

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Don Wilhelm
Hi all,

Fldigi remains as one of the premiere data mode applications.  It is
multi-platform and works well.  It does not have all the 'pizazz" of
other applications, but it works quite well and is free to use.

Configuration via Hamlib or Rigcat is not difficult - read the instructions.

Another application that will give you several other rig control
functions is Win4K3.  It does cost money for extended use, but you can
try it for 30 days.

Of course Ham Radio Deluxe will offer other capabilities, and I believe
the free downlaod of version 5 is still available.

There are others - DXLabs has a whole suite of applications and DX
commander as well as other applications can do a variety of things for
you.  The DXLabs suite is freeware.

On 5/10/2016 8:23 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM, W B McCarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... I should share my opinion that RadioCom is one of the
>> hardest programs to configure and among the least reliable contemporary PC
>> programs I've used....

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Bill Frantz
To add to Don's list for Mac users, RUMlogNG, by DL2RUM is a
logging program. The main logger is oriented toward DXers, but
there is a contest logging sub-program. It has integration with
flgidi, and can bring the K3 internal PSK/RTTY decode/encode to
the computer screen. It is available free from the app store,
although there is a "donate" button which I suggest using if you
like the program.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 5/10/16 at 5:43 PM, [hidden email] (Don Wilhelm) wrote:

>Fldigi remains as one of the premiere data mode applications.
>It is multi-platform and works well.  It does not have all the
>'pizazz" of other applications, but it works quite well and is
>free to use.
>
>Configuration via Hamlib or Rigcat is not difficult - read the instructions.
>
>Another application that will give you several other rig
>control functions is Win4K3.  It does cost money for extended
>use, but you can try it for 30 days.
>
>Of course Ham Radio Deluxe will offer other capabilities, and I
>believe the free downlaod of version 5 is still available.
>
>There are others - DXLabs has a whole suite of applications and
>DX commander as well as other applications can do a variety of
>things for you.  The DXLabs suite is freeware.

Re: Bonito RadioCom 6

Stephen G4SJP
I can't speak highly enough of Rumlog.  It has a very straightforward user
interface, fantastic LOTW and Clublog integration and all the database
searching tools are there if you need them.  Yes, it's free, but it's so
good that I made a donation too.

73 Stephen G4SJP