Bought a second hand P3 with 2 KW TX sensor question

Bought a second hand P3 with 2 KW TX sensor question

William Lagerberg
Hi group,

I have a K3 100 Watt and i bought a P32 with VGA and TXmon, the TX Monitor
is 2 Kw.

I was thinking because of the fact that I am only working with 100 watt
would it be worth reducing the sensor to 200 Watt ??

1 I don't know if it is possible.

2 I don't know if I see beter images then ??

3 or should I just leave it as it is ??

I did not yet connect the TXmon just trying to learn the possibilities of
the P3

Regards William

K2, KX3, K3, P3,

Re: Bought a second hand P3 with 2 KW TX sensor question

Don Wilhelm
William,

The images will not be changed by the TX MON.
The resolution of the power display on the P3 will be increased by a
factor of 10 if you change to the DCHF-200a - you can order one from
Elecraft.

On 7/2/2016 2:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I have a K3 100 Watt and i bought a P32 with VGA and TXmon, the TX Monitor
> is 2 Kw.
>
> I was thinking because of the fact that I am only working with 100 watt
> would it be worth reducing the sensor to 200 Watt ??

Re: Bought a second hand P3 with 2 KW TX sensor question

Alan Bloom
The 2kW monitor works pretty well at 100 watts.  The 200W sensor might
have a little better accuracy at 100W and works much better for QRP.

If by "images" you mean seeing the same signal on either side of center
of the pandapter display, that doesn't happen with the P3.  Unlike SDR
receivers and panadapters that use an analog I/Q downconverter, the
digital downconverter in the P3 is "perfect" in that respect.

Alan N1AL

On 07/01/2016 11:59 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi group,
>

> I have a K3 100 Watt and i bought a P32 with VGA and TXmon, the TX Monitor
> is 2 Kw.
>

> I was thinking because of the fact that I am only working with 100 watt
> would it be worth reducing the sensor to 200 Watt ??
>

> 1 I don't know if it is possible.
>
> 2 I don't know if I see beter images then ??
>
> 3 or should I just leave it as it is ??
>

> I did not yet connect the TXmon just trying to learn the possibilities of
> the P3
>

> Regards William
>

> K2, KX3, K3, P3,

Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Ken Arck
Just finished installing the 100 watt PA and all was going fine until
the 14 mHz 50 watt calibration (using the K3 Utility program). The
radio went dead and nothing I've tried brings it back to
life...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I removed power completely, let it sit for 10 minutes, reconnected
and all that happens is a small thump out of the speaker when I tap
the power button. I even tried the initialization procedure in the
manual (hold the SHIFT/LO button while tapping the power and nothing
but the thump.

No USB comm either, no matter what (not surprised about that)

Ahhh well, figures on a Holiday weekend....

Ken
(time to hook the TS2000 back up for the 2 mtr EME pass tomorrow....)
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Leroy
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.
You are in the right place to get help

73   Leroy AB7CE

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Ken Arck
Oh yes...holding POWER for more than 10 seconds does nothing either.....

I have a feeling it's going back to Elecraft next week.......

>-----Original Message----- From: Ken Arck
>Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2016 8:13 PM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Elecraft] Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s
>
>Just finished installing the 100 watt PA and all was going fine until
>the 14 mHz 50 watt calibration (using the K3 Utility program). The
>radio went dead and nothing I've tried brings it back to
>life...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>
>I removed power completely, let it sit for 10 minutes, reconnected
>and all that happens is a small thump out of the speaker when I tap
>the power button. I even tried the initialization procedure in the
>manual (hold the SHIFT/LO button while tapping the power and nothing
>but the thump.
>
>No USB comm either, no matter what (not surprised about that)
>
>Ahhh well, figures on a Holiday weekend....
>
>Ken
>(time to hook the TS2000 back up for the 2 mtr EME pass tomorrow....)
>President and CTO - Arcom Communications
>Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
>http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
>Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
>we offer complete repeater packages!
>AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
>http://www.irlp.net
>"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Nate Bargmann
* On 2016 02 Jul 21:34 -0500, Ken Arck wrote:
> Oh yes...holding POWER for more than 10 seconds does nothing either.....
>
> I have a feeling it's going back to Elecraft next week.......

How about pulling the PA out and setting the radio back to the way it
was prior to installation (it's been nearly six years since building my
K3 and I forgot the strapping, if any).

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

NK7Z
On Sat, 2016-07-02 at 19:33 -0700, Ken Arck wrote:
> Oh yes...holding POWER for more than 10 seconds does nothing
> either.....

What should holding power for more than 30 seconds do?

73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
For software/hardware reviews see:
http://www.nk7z.net

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Ken Arck
Thanks to all who replied to my plea for help!

I did find the problem this morning and man, it was not what I
expected. The problem turned out to be that power was not getting to
the radio. Well,,, actually it WAS getting to the radio - to the
Power Poles -  but no further. I decided to poke around a bit and
found that the solder connection on the positive pole - it appeared
to be cracked, perhaps from the repeated removed of the power
connector but it seems that the added current draw of the 100 watt PA
did the connection in one way or another. I reflowed the connection
and the radio is once again happy.

What threw me (and why no power wasn't my first thought to check) was
that THUMP when the power button was tapped. I guess there was a
enough charge in some capacitor to do that. Ah well, live and learn....

Again, thanks to all

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Leroy
What a relief!!   I love my K3S, and hope every  ham has the pleasure of a
high performance rig.
Another Elecraft superior moment,  it did not destroy itself and waited for
the oops moment to pass.

Another teaching moment: Check power supply is No 1 on every trouble shoot
chart.

Congratulations Ken and 73   Leroy AB7CE

Re: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

K9MA
On 7/3/2016 10:49, lmarion wrote:
> Another teaching moment: Check power supply is No 1 on every trouble
> shoot chart.

Or:  Check the simple stuff first.

Now, why do I keep forgetting that?

73,

Scott  K9MA

FW: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Charlie T, K3ICH

One more reason to NOT use power-poles.

Did I mention that I don't like them?
They are hard to use, over-rated, unreliable and not re-useable.

Charlie k3ICH

Re: FW: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Ken Arck
They're reusable but I agree. I have never been a fan

Ken

At 10:23 AM 7/3/2016, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:

>One more reason to NOT use power-poles.
>
>Did I mention that I don't like them?
>They are hard to use, over-rated, unreliable and not re-useable.
>
>Charlie k3ICH

Tony Estep
On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 10:49 AM, lmarion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ....Check power supply is No 1 on every trouble shoot chart.
> ====

That's the truth! A couple of years ago, my K3 would start, everything
seemed to work FB, but when I would turn on my computer the K3 would shut
off. Of course I thought something was wrong in the computer-radio
connection. But what had actually happened is that my power supply had
failed. It worked enough to start the K3 but would shut itself off if the
radio tried to draw significant current. When the computer connected, it
keyed the transmitter just for a few milliseconds, and that was enough to
make the PS click off. I went around in circles for a full day before the
light dawned.

73,
Tony KT0NY

Re: FW: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Wes Stewart-2
I don't like them either.

On 7/3/2016 10:23 AM, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:
> One more reason to NOT use power-poles.
>
> Did I mention that I don't like them?
> They are hard to use, over-rated, unreliable and not re-useable.
>
> Charlie k3ICH

Re: FW: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

Charlie T, K3ICH
How are they re-useable once they're crimped?

I guess you could maybe pry the crimp apart. (??)

Chas

They're reusable but I agree. I have never been a fan

Ken

At 10:23 AM 7/3/2016, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:

>One more reason to NOT use power-poles.
>
>Did I mention that I don't like them?
>They are hard to use, over-rated, unreliable and not re-useable.
>
>Charlie k3ICH

Guy Olinger K2AV
The eternal lesson, which most of us cannot convince our emotions to
believe in the time of trouble, is that most problems are not the rig
per se, but lie in all the stressed connections, etc.

*IF* I remember at the time of trouble, that the problem is likely
elsewhere, I STILL have to almost bite off my tongue to first go
looking externally and not emotionally automatically blame the box I'm
using at the moment.

Always rule out the mechanicals. This includes any cable entry
connections in the unit.

Not that there haven't been issues with my 7 year old K3 over the
years, including a couple of botched mods. A couple of years ago I
finally traced a trouble to a PL259 out in the shed I forgot to solder
in 1993 -- how many dreary criticisms can you drag out of that?
Anywhere possible, ALL of that braided coax is going away this summer.
Hardline connectors too expensive? Any flexible stuff will be flooded.
The stuff is not too expensive spread out over 20 years. And if you
now need to pay to get certain types of outdoor help from time to
time, the hardline/flooded line pays for itself the moment you install
it.

I am doing a rewire of the shack with a reverse oriented six pack so I
can switch rigs/amps to one of two hardlines going down to the ham
entry point in the garage. Among the possibilities on the times 6 side
of the 6-pack switch is a line to the work bench and a line to my AIM
4170. Some time soon I will have stored calibrations of every possible
coax path out to antennas, and stored R,X,RL curves on every antenna.
Something gets weird with an antenna, I'll switch from an amp output
to the AIM input. I'll start with the antenna and move toward the
shack.

Too much wasted time otherwise. I'm tired of shooting myself in the foot.

73, Guy K2AV

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 12:06 PM, K9MA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/3/2016 10:49, lmarion wrote:
>>
>> Another teaching moment: Check power supply is No 1 on every trouble shoot
>> chart.
>

> Or:  Check the simple stuff first.
>
> Now, why do I keep forgetting that?
>
> 73,
>
> Scott  K9MA

Re: FW: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

ktalbott
So what do recommend?
Ken - ke4rg

How are they re-useable once they're crimped?

I guess you could maybe pry the crimp apart. (??)

Chas

They're reusable but I agree. I have never been a fan

Ken

At 10:23 AM 7/3/2016, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:

>One more reason to NOT use power-poles.
>
>Did I mention that I don't like them?
>They are hard to use, over-rated, unreliable and not re-useable.
>
>Charlie k3ICH

kPOD

bill steffey
Bill....

ok,  good idea

bill

Re: FW: Well Hell.... I just bricked my K3s

>>> One more reason to NOT use power-poles <<<
WELL! This post has now morphed into another Rendition of " Power Poles "

(((73))) Milverton / W9MMS