Breakers for KPA1500

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Breakers for KPA1500

Edward A. Dauer
    I just had a new dedicated 220V line for the KPA1500 installed by a professional company.  They used new metal clad 4  by 12 gauge from the service box to the outlet with 20 amp breakers on each side.  I personally make no warranty, but they assured me it would be both safe and more than sufficient.

Ted, KN1CBR


    ------------------------------
   
    Message: 17
    Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:24:02 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <[hidden email]>
    To: Elecraft Mailing List <[hidden email]>
    Subject: [Elecraft] Breakers for KPA1500?
    Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
   
    I probably missed this but my google searches aren't working either.
   
    Will 2x 20A breakers (220v) be sufficient for the KPA1500?
   
    Thanks.
   
    --
    Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email] K7EMI
    BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee
   
   
    ------------------------------
 

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Breakers for KPA1500

Josh Fiden
I take what code requires as the minimum wire gauge. For shorter runs it's fine. But measure the run length, multiply by 2 (two wires) and calculate IR voltage drop. It's not a big expense when you're installing to use 10 instead of 12 awg if it would make a noticeable difference.

Seems like it wouldn't need to be said... but never let them cheap out and use aluminum wire. I actually had an electrician try that for a bigger gauge run. Fortunately I noticed before it was enclosed. Cut it out of the wall and left it coiled for him with a friendly :) note.

73
Josh W6XU


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Breakers for KPA1500

Clay Autery-2
In reply to this post by Edward A. Dauer
I put a sub-panel in the shack....  I ran 4 x 6GA stranded THWN-2 in two
sets of twisted pairs inside a steel flex conduit from the main box to
the sub box.  Running dual 60 Amp (tied) breakers at the box to catch
both hots for 240 VAC.  The hots are paired, and the Neutral and ground
are paired.

The sub-panel is broken out into 2 x 240 @ 15amps, 2 x 240 @ 20amps, and
8 x 120 @ 20 amp breakers.  Each breaker feeds a single plug on each of
the 6 x 120 x 20amp duplexes, and 1 x 240 @ 15 and 20 amp duplexes
respectively.  I can turn EACH receptacle off at the sub-panel.  From
the panel to the 6-ganged (in steel gang boxes), I also ran 4 x 10GA
THWN-2 paired the same also in steel flex conduit.

Currently, I have a single 220 x 15 amp and 220 x 20 amp receptacle
free. ALL 120 receptacles are in use (no bus bars).
Never thought they'd fill up that fast.

No where near maxing out ANY of the breakers or the master 60amp........
yet.

My solution MAY be overkill for your install, but the lesson is...

Don't build for today.... build for TOMORROW and build ONCE.

73,

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389

On 09-Jul-18 13:14, Dauer, Edward wrote:

>      I just had a new dedicated 220V line for the KPA1500 installed by a professional company.  They used new metal clad 4  by 12 gauge from the service box to the outlet with 20 amp breakers on each side.  I personally make no warranty, but they assured me it would be both safe and more than sufficient.
>
> Ted, KN1CBR
>
>
>      ------------------------------
>      
>      Message: 17
>      Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:24:02 -0700 (PDT)
>      From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <[hidden email]>
>      To: Elecraft Mailing List <[hidden email]>
>      Subject: [Elecraft] Breakers for KPA1500?
>      Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
>      Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>      
>      I probably missed this but my google searches aren't working either.
>      
>      Will 2x 20A breakers (220v) be sufficient for the KPA1500?
>      
>      Thanks.
>      
>      --
>      Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email] K7EMI
>      BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Breakers for KPA1500

w5sum
I just use an extension cord

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 9, 2018, at 2:58 PM, Clay Autery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I put a sub-panel in the shack....  I ran 4 x 6GA stranded THWN-2 in two sets of twisted pairs inside a steel flex conduit from the main box to the sub box.  Running dual 60 Amp (tied) breakers at the box to catch both hots for 240 VAC.  The hots are paired, and the Neutral and ground are paired.
>
> The sub-panel is broken out into 2 x 240 @ 15amps, 2 x 240 @ 20amps, and 8 x 120 @ 20 amp breakers.  Each breaker feeds a single plug on each of the 6 x 120 x 20amp duplexes, and 1 x 240 @ 15 and 20 amp duplexes respectively.  I can turn EACH receptacle off at the sub-panel.  From the panel to the 6-ganged (in steel gang boxes), I also ran 4 x 10GA THWN-2 paired the same also in steel flex conduit.
>
> Currently, I have a single 220 x 15 amp and 220 x 20 amp receptacle free. ALL 120 receptacles are in use (no bus bars).
> Never thought they'd fill up that fast.
>
> No where near maxing out ANY of the breakers or the master 60amp........ yet.
>
> My solution MAY be overkill for your install, but the lesson is...
>
> Don't build for today.... build for TOMORROW and build ONCE.
>
> 73,
>
> ______________________
> Clay Autery, KY5G
> (318) 518-1389
>
>> On 09-Jul-18 13:14, Dauer, Edward wrote:
>>     I just had a new dedicated 220V line for the KPA1500 installed by a professional company.  They used new metal clad 4  by 12 gauge from the service box to the outlet with 20 amp breakers on each side.  I personally make no warranty, but they assured me it would be both safe and more than sufficient.
>>
>> Ted, KN1CBR
>>
>>
>>     ------------------------------
>>          Message: 17
>>     Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:24:02 -0700 (PDT)
>>     From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <[hidden email]>
>>     To: Elecraft Mailing List <[hidden email]>
>>     Subject: [Elecraft] Breakers for KPA1500?
>>     Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
>>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>>          I probably missed this but my google searches aren't working either.
>>          Will 2x 20A breakers (220v) be sufficient for the KPA1500?
>>          Thanks.
>>          --
>>     Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email] K7EMI
>>     BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Breakers for KPA1500

Jim Brown-10
In reply to this post by Josh Fiden
On 7/9/2018 11:29 AM, Josh Fiden wrote:
> I take what code requires as the minimum wire gauge. For shorter runs it's fine. But measure the run length, multiply by 2 (two wires) and calculate IR voltage drop.

Actually, the voltage drop is greater than you calculate with the simple
formula because current to electronic loads is not a sine wave!  This
makes Josh's advice even better!  There's a technical discussion of this
in  http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf beginning around slide #56.

> It's not a big expense when you're installing to use 10 instead of 12 awg if it would make a noticeable difference.

Yes. The cost of that outlet is mainly labor. I would even consider #10
small if it's a very long run, and consider #8. And our advice is not
specific to the KPA1500 -- it would be the same for any big electrical
load.

73, Jim K9YC


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]