CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Peter Chamalian
If you are using a CW decoder but would like to learn or improve your own CW
capabilities, I invite you to look at www.cwops.org/cwacademy.html

 

The Academy is offered by CWops and is free to all.

Pete, W1RM

 

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Barry
Another great site for improving CW proficiency (at ANY level) is http://lcwo.net/
Barry W2UP
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Andrew Moore-3
And another great resource, if you want to build your own practice files,
is ebook2cw,written by Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK.  Converts text to really nice
sounding CW, with control over rise/fall times, pitch, timing, etc...
Command line version works great on Mac OS X, and I believe it also runs on
Windows and Linux.

I use it frequently to convert chunks of practice text to mp3 files, burn
it on a disc and practice by listening to it while mobile.

http://fkurz.net/ham/ebook2cw.html

--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..


On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Barry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another great site for improving CW proficiency (at ANY level) is
> http://lcwo.net/
> Barry W2UP
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

K4KGG
In reply to this post by Peter Chamalian

         Your brain IS best at CW decoding - but only after you've spent
many hundreds of hours training it. You can work CW DX NOW by getting a
Keyer and learning one thing in CW - the sound of your callsign.  Let CW
Skimmer decode for you. It's not as good as your brain, but this setup
will have you working CW at any speed without dedicating hundreds of
hours you might wish to spend otherwise. CW is just another digital
mode. Decoders will improve. Get in the CW game now.

                                                     K4KGG,    Larry

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

stan levandowski
In reply to this post by Peter Chamalian
For many of us CW is an art form, a skill worth those hundreds of hours
of practice, and a connection to wireless history.  Fortunately, amateur
radio is a broad enough service/hobby that it can support all the
opinions we may have on this subject.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Larry Libsch wrote:

  CW is just another digital mode.
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Andrew Moore-3
In reply to this post by K4KGG
Hope anyone who's interested in getting into CW isn't put off by the
thought of spending hundreds of hours to train or being bored by just
another digital mode. Larry is 50% right here. I mean that in a positive
way (i.e. not "50% wrong"!)

To say that CW is just another digital mode, or that it takes hundreds of
hours to train, isn't necessarily correct.

Some of the most exciting moments I had doing CW were when I was studying
code before I got my ticket, (barely) copying 5 WPM in Mass. from a station
in Florida which seemed like pulling magic out of the air. At that point I
had only about 24 hours of CW training. When I got the ticket, my first QSO
was on a straight key from Tenn. to Washington state (still have the QSL
card, N7CEY!) was equally thrilling, largely because it was hands-on
(Internet wasn't even mainstream yet).

It's a very different *experience* than having a computer do it for you.

I agree with Larry's recommendation to just jump in and immerse yourself in
the mode, in whatever form. One way isn't better than the other. For
upcoming CW enthusiasts, only by trying the different methods available to
you - digital or analog makes no difference - will you find what you like
and what you can do without. Find your niche and enjoy it; it's YOUR niche
and there's a lot of fun out there when you find it. Decode-by-brain comes
quick for some, especially when they enjoy it. And then, training is
ongoing - so yes, it can certainly require hundreds of hours, but for some
those hours seem like a thrill not a chore.

--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..



On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Larry Libsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>          Your brain IS best at CW decoding - but only after you've spent
> many hundreds of hours training it. You can work CW DX NOW by getting a
> Keyer and learning one thing in CW - the sound of your callsign.  Let CW
> Skimmer decode for you. It's not as good as your brain, but this setup
> will have you working CW at any speed without dedicating hundreds of
> hours you might wish to spend otherwise. CW is just another digital
> mode. Decoders will improve. Get in the CW game now.
>
>                                                      K4KGG,    Larry
>
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Millerhill
Well I've been at it for about 8 months now and have worked only CW (about 1100 QSOs to date) since I got my ticket . I'm just beginning to be able to put down the pen and copy in my head. Sure I miss a couple of words here and there, but for the most part I'm getting much better. I think I'm at a transition point and finding that even though I don't have to write down copy I find it somewhat reassuring and often do it anyway so I don't miss anything. Of course if the WPM goes much faster than about 22 WPM, I can't write fast enough anyway so I have to really focus and let the old brain have at it. I think once I hit the one year mark, I should be in pretty good shape and expect to be able to send and copy at about 30 wpm...not that I have a need for speed, but it's just an observation on my progress during my first year as a ham. It's certainly more relaxing to just sit there and close my eyes and listen rather than frantically trying to write down everything!

73
Steve
W1SFR



On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:

> Hope anyone who's interested in getting into CW isn't put off by the
> thought of spending hundreds of hours to train or being bored by just
> another digital mode. Larry is 50% right here. I mean that in a positive
> way (i.e. not "50% wrong"!)
>
> To say that CW is just another digital mode, or that it takes hundreds of
> hours to train, isn't necessarily correct.
>
> Some of the most exciting moments I had doing CW were when I was studying
> code before I got my ticket, (barely) copying 5 WPM in Mass. from a station
> in Florida which seemed like pulling magic out of the air. At that point I
> had only about 24 hours of CW training. When I got the ticket, my first QSO
> was on a straight key from Tenn. to Washington state (still have the QSL
> card, N7CEY!) was equally thrilling, largely because it was hands-on
> (Internet wasn't even mainstream yet).
>
> It's a very different *experience* than having a computer do it for you.
>
> I agree with Larry's recommendation to just jump in and immerse yourself in
> the mode, in whatever form. One way isn't better than the other. For
> upcoming CW enthusiasts, only by trying the different methods available to
> you - digital or analog makes no difference - will you find what you like
> and what you can do without. Find your niche and enjoy it; it's YOUR niche
> and there's a lot of fun out there when you find it. Decode-by-brain comes
> quick for some, especially when they enjoy it. And then, training is
> ongoing - so yes, it can certainly require hundreds of hours, but for some
> those hours seem like a thrill not a chore.
>
> --Andrew, NV1B
> maineware.net
> ..
>
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Larry Libsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>>         Your brain IS best at CW decoding - but only after you've spent
>> many hundreds of hours training it. You can work CW DX NOW by getting a
>> Keyer and learning one thing in CW - the sound of your callsign.  Let CW
>> Skimmer decode for you. It's not as good as your brain, but this setup
>> will have you working CW at any speed without dedicating hundreds of
>> hours you might wish to spend otherwise. CW is just another digital
>> mode. Decoders will improve. Get in the CW game now.
>>
>>                                                     K4KGG,    Larry
>>
>>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Ralph Parker
In reply to this post by Peter Chamalian
>Your brain IS best at CW decoding...
Amen to that, brother!

>...Let CW Skimmer decode for you...
Only if a non-brain decoder is good enough to read the DX station at 28 wpm
(or better) when he says "pse na qrx nw ja up" and you understand what that
means, and not keep calling incessantly because the decoder hasn't
displayed your call.

Sorry for the rant, but there are waaaayyyy too many people calling out of
turn these days. I suspect that non-brain decoders are the reason.
There's only one way to get the Carnegie Hall.

Ralph, VE7XF

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

K4KGG
In reply to this post by Peter Chamalian

         I respect the hams that have spent many hours developing and
improving their CW skills ... until they attempt to discourage hams who
choose to come at CW with a different approach. The conjecture that
those of us using decoders cause more problems than those audibly
decoding is just that - a conjecture. Inexperience is very likely a more
important factor.   Please note that many accomplished CW ops use keyers
when it's to their advantage - during CW contests.  Software-generated
code has no "fist"and is therefore more readable.  And many CW
contesters  can achieve higher speeds with accuracy using a keyer and
software than they may be able to do by hand.

         Please note that the Elecraft team, among others, continues to
work to improve the CW decoding capability of the K3. Wayne is offering  
a beta firmware version with improved CW decoding ability right now. Not
liking software CW encoders and decoders is not going to make them go
away. They are the future of CW. JT65 can decode inaudble signals now.
The only question is when software will be better at decoding CW than
the human brain.

        CW is for all hams. It doesn't belong just to a select group who
learned how to key it by hand. If you want to limit your experience of
ham radio by spending all your radio time learning CW, by all means do
it. But there is so much else to explore in ham radio: RTTY, satellites,
antennas, towers, DXing, contests, portable operation, equipment
construction and much, much more. Use the available tools. Exploring
this digital mode with software may make sense for you.

                                                             K4KGG, Larry

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

W7GJ, Lance
In reply to this post by Millerhill
Hello Stephen,

It sounds inspirational!  I have never found CW very restful or been able to copy in
my head.   I think it all started when I first learned CW the wrong way....it took me
two tries to get the 13 wpm General class license back in the 60's.  And I was
sweating bullets as I typed out the letters on a borrowed laptop computer during my
Extra license test (I can't hand write 20 wpm)!  What is the secret (if there is a
secret) to learning how to copy in your head?  In lieu of mentally copying, is there
some cheap (free) program to type out what you are receiving and then to use the
keyboard to send CW too?  My keyboard speed isn't really super duper, but it sure is
a LOT better than my handwriting ability!!!

I have just bee introduced to N1MM, and that seems to work great with my K3 and
laptop computer, but it really seems geared for quick openings or working pileups.  
Is there something better suited to casual CW QSO's?

VY 73, Lance

On 11/8/2012 7:23 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:

> Well I've been at it for about 8 months now and have worked only CW (about 1100 QSOs to date) since I got my ticket . I'm just beginning to be able to put down the pen and copy in my head. Sure I miss a couple of words here and there, but for the most part I'm getting much better. I think I'm at a transition point and finding that even though I don't have to write down copy I find it somewhat reassuring and often do it anyway so I don't miss anything. Of course if the WPM goes much faster than about 22 WPM, I can't write fast enough anyway so I have to really focus and let the old brain have at it. I think once I hit the one year mark, I should be in pretty good shape and expect to be able to send and copy at about 30 wpm...not that I have a need for speed, but it's just an observation on my progress during my first year as a ham. It's certainly more relaxing to just sit there and close my eyes and listen rather than frantically trying to write down everything!
>
> 73
> Steve
> W1SFR
>
>
>
> On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
>
>> Hope anyone who's interested in getting into CW isn't put off by the
>> thought of spending hundreds of hours to train or being bored by just
>> another digital mode. Larry is 50% right here. I mean that in a positive
>> way (i.e. not "50% wrong"!)
>>
>> To say that CW is just another digital mode, or that it takes hundreds of
>> hours to train, isn't necessarily correct.
>>
>> Some of the most exciting moments I had doing CW were when I was studying
>> code before I got my ticket, (barely) copying 5 WPM in Mass. from a station
>> in Florida which seemed like pulling magic out of the air. At that point I
>> had only about 24 hours of CW training. When I got the ticket, my first QSO
>> was on a straight key from Tenn. to Washington state (still have the QSL
>> card, N7CEY!) was equally thrilling, largely because it was hands-on
>> (Internet wasn't even mainstream yet).
>>
>> It's a very different *experience* than having a computer do it for you.
>>
>> I agree with Larry's recommendation to just jump in and immerse yourself in
>> the mode, in whatever form. One way isn't better than the other. For
>> upcoming CW enthusiasts, only by trying the different methods available to
>> you - digital or analog makes no difference - will you find what you like
>> and what you can do without. Find your niche and enjoy it; it's YOUR niche
>> and there's a lot of fun out there when you find it. Decode-by-brain comes
>> quick for some, especially when they enjoy it. And then, training is
>> ongoing - so yes, it can certainly require hundreds of hours, but for some
>> those hours seem like a thrill not a chore.
>>
>> --Andrew, NV1B
>> maineware.net
>> ..
>>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Larry Libsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>          Your brain IS best at CW decoding - but only after you've spent
>>> many hundreds of hours training it. You can work CW DX NOW by getting a
>>> Keyer and learning one thing in CW - the sound of your callsign.  Let CW
>>> Skimmer decode for you. It's not as good as your brain, but this setup
>>> will have you working CW at any speed without dedicating hundreds of
>>> hours you might wish to spend otherwise. CW is just another digital
>>> mode. Decoders will improve. Get in the CW game now.
>>>
>>>                                                      K4KGG,    Larry
>>>
>>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>


--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
URL: http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
page (above)!


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Andrew Moore-3
In reply to this post by K4KGG
While we're on the subject of computer-based CW learning and operating -
another perhaps lesser-known setup that may be worth checking out is the
CW-over-Internet approach using FLDigi and Mumble software, which provides
multi-user, high audio quality, low latency CW over the net via a server.

Some of the great advantages of this system for those wanting to build CW
speed is that it's available 24/7 and eliminates the dependency on good
band conditions, propagation or being tied to your shack. You can have
"live" QSOs in near perfect conditions pretty much whenever you want it,
which is a huge help in building skill and speed.

Chuck/AA0HW has put loads of research into tweaking the setup for best
results, providing ways to interface your paddle and key to the system,
generating pleasant sounding sidetones, etc. Users on Chuck's server tend
to focus on QRQ but everyone's welcome. Chuck has created videos detailing
how to set up the software.

Again, a very different experience than sitting in front of a radio, but
can be highly enjoyable even for seasoned CW ops.

For more info:

http://qrqcwnet.ning.com/

--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Larry Libsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>          I respect the hams that have spent many hours developing and
> improving their CW skills ...
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

N0AZZ
In reply to this post by K4KGG
Yes and the good ones like Elecrafts will decode your call sign quickly as
well no need to learn it either.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Larry Libsch
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:16 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Decoding - Your Brain is best


         Your brain IS best at CW decoding - but only after you've spent
many hundreds of hours training it. You can work CW DX NOW by getting a
Keyer and learning one thing in CW - the sound of your callsign.  Let CW
Skimmer decode for you. It's not as good as your brain, but this setup will
have you working CW at any speed without dedicating hundreds of hours you
might wish to spend otherwise. CW is just another digital mode. Decoders
will improve. Get in the CW game now.

                                                     K4KGG,    Larry

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Phil Hystad-3
I can see that someone might want to use a K3 CW decode or a computer decode program like CW Skimmer when operating a contest.  After you set things up, very little real CW skill is necessary to be a CW contest player.  Indeed, many probably do just that.

Ultimately of course, the software will get better and the instance of the human operator will no longer be necessary.  Some future glorified computer program can play the game all by itself.  You can even schedule your computer program to startup when the contest schedules begin and stop when they end.  Of course, total control of your rig by remote is included.

Cool -- just think, I could be off doing more interesting things while operating a contest from my Mac hosted computer application.  I could be a high scorer -- I could win!  I would be the contesting CW champ.  Or, at least my program would be but no one need know that.

The best part is that during the contest and during all those automated hours or cranking up my score at 2.7 GHz CPU speeds, I can be out in the wilds nearby with my wire antenna thrown into the nearest tree and operating QRP CW from my KX3 using my Begali paddle.

73, phil, K7PEH
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

N0AZZ
In reply to this post by Ralph Parker
If you check the calls on most all of them you will find most "ALL" old
extra or advanced ops just LIDS as always things are the same as before
computers even came along. You speak as if this is some kind of new thing,
in fact software has improved many aspects of the hobby.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Ralph Parker
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:27 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

>Your brain IS best at CW decoding...
Amen to that, brother!

>...Let CW Skimmer decode for you...
Only if a non-brain decoder is good enough to read the DX station at 28 wpm
(or better) when he says "pse na qrx nw ja up" and you understand what that
means, and not keep calling incessantly because the decoder hasn't displayed
your call.

Sorry for the rant, but there are waaaayyyy too many people calling out of
turn these days. I suspect that non-brain decoders are the reason.
There's only one way to get the Carnegie Hall.

Ralph, VE7XF

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Mike Sanders
In reply to this post by W7GJ, Lance
Someone was on the right track. Why all the systems and methods?
Just get on the air and use it. That is how we actually did it back when.
We used CW as a primary mode for the most part. We learned how to
use it and improved by doing it on the air.
Anyway I want to talk about CW, CW decode on the K3, The P3/SVGA
and keyboard and CW decode and send using all of the above.
I was watching some CW stations on the monitor RX window while
having Text Dec turned on. I got to messing with the NR, Audio filter
and such. It all makes a difference in getting better decode. Anyway
I got to thinking how good it actually was and how it could help those
who do not do CW because of a million reasons including age and
hearing losses or problems.
Having a couple of the memories on CW set up a non code person
could use the K3/P3/SVGA/Nice size monitor to actually work CW
at any speed. This especially in contests where the keying is usually
"machine" memory sent and the exchange is minimal. A person
could easily make QSOs using the programmed memories.
Tune in a station on the monitor or K3 display. Find that you need
that one for whatever award/s and you want to work him. Follow
his activity and when he breaks for another station hit M1 on the K3
sending out your call. Watch the monitor for him to respond to you.
If he does he sends 599 0123 K. You hit M2 on the K3 which sends
RR 5NN TU and you have a valid DX style contact. Not a rag chew
of course but in the log and on the wall. Of course that is as minimal
as it gets but it works to work a new one and a new mode for the
contest or just the award/s you want.
Really think about it for a minute. Lots of rigs can do it but the K3 does
it well. They don't even advertise CW operation for non CW types.....8>)
but it's there.
73 es GL ...............6M DXCC #436 132/132  "It ain't easy bein a ZERO".

 
 
                    Mike Sanders
                        KOAZ
       
 
 


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

Jim Dunstan
In reply to this post by Peter Chamalian
At 05:08 PM 11/8/2012, Jim Dunstan wrote:

>At 03:56 PM 11/8/2012, you wrote:
>>
>>          I respect the hams that have spent many hours developing and
>>improving their CW skills ... until they attempt to discourage hams who
>>choose to come at CW with a different approach. The conjecture that
>>those of us using decoders cause more problems than those audibly
>>decoding is just that - a conjecture. Inexperience is very likely a more
>>important factor.   Please note that many accomplished CW ops use keyers
>>when it's to their advantage - during CW contests.  Software-generated
>>code has no "fist"and is therefore more readable.  And many CW
>>contesters  can achieve higher speeds with accuracy using a keyer and
>>software than they may be able to do by hand.

I disagree to some of your statement.  In particular that computer
generated cw ... that comes without "fist" is more readable..  I am
from the old school ... I was a commercial CW operator at the end of
the era.  The 'fist' as u describe was similar to a speaking
accent.  Some accents are easier to understand than others (from a
personal point of view).  The fist was very important ... it defined
who you were. The official policy of the service was that operators
should use a manual key.  However almost everyone on the net (used a
keyer - bug in those days) which added to but didn't create the
different 'fists'.  There were some great 'fists' ... some that u
could sit back and read like music.  To be able to send with such a
fist was really a 'gift'.  Such a gifted 'fist' is by far superior to
computer generated cw using an unimaginative algorithim. If you can
listen to a wonderful 'fist' and compare to a computer generated
signal ... u would immediately recognize the difference.

So i encourage cw ops to develop their own 'fists' ... who knows they
may be one of those gifted with the magic 'fist" ... the fist that
allows you to sit back and enjoy listening to it.

Jim, VE3CI

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

N0AZZ
In reply to this post by Phil Hystad-3
You forgot one thing when you go portable to take your netbook no need for
the key CW will be treated as any other digital mode, no more no less. Just
things progressing as they do many have changed in my lifetime.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ



-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Phil Hystad
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:22 PM
To: [hidden email] List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

I can see that someone might want to use a K3 CW decode or a computer decode
program like CW Skimmer when operating a contest.  After you set things up,
very little real CW skill is necessary to be a CW contest player.  Indeed,
many probably do just that.

Ultimately of course, the software will get better and the instance of the
human operator will no longer be necessary.  Some future glorified computer
program can play the game all by itself.  You can even schedule your
computer program to startup when the contest schedules begin and stop when
they end.  Of course, total control of your rig by remote is included.

Cool -- just think, I could be off doing more interesting things while
operating a contest from my Mac hosted computer application.  I could be a
high scorer -- I could win!  I would be the contesting CW champ.  Or, at
least my program would be but no one need know that.

The best part is that during the contest and during all those automated
hours or cranking up my score at 2.7 GHz CPU speeds, I can be out in the
wilds nearby with my wire antenna thrown into the nearest tree and operating
QRP CW from my KX3 using my Begali paddle.

73, phil, K7PEH
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

N0AZZ
In reply to this post by Jim Dunstan


I'm one who doesn't "enjoy" digital modes none of them CW included it's just
a tool to make contacts with is all it is. Computers are made for digital
modes and have brought them a long way with the JT65 modes to where we can
work stations that could never be worked on CW and even with QRP. I enjoy
speaking to someone on the phone for only for so long then I want to hang up
also.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim Dunstan
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:26 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

At 05:08 PM 11/8/2012, Jim Dunstan wrote:

>At 03:56 PM 11/8/2012, you wrote:
>>
>>          I respect the hams that have spent many hours developing and
>>improving their CW skills ... until they attempt to discourage hams
>>who choose to come at CW with a different approach. The conjecture
>>that those of us using decoders cause more problems than those audibly
>>decoding is just that - a conjecture. Inexperience is very likely a more
>>important factor.   Please note that many accomplished CW ops use keyers
>>when it's to their advantage - during CW contests.  Software-generated
>>code has no "fist"and is therefore more readable.  And many CW
>>contesters  can achieve higher speeds with accuracy using a keyer and
>>software than they may be able to do by hand.

I disagree to some of your statement.  In particular that computer generated
cw ... that comes without "fist" is more readable..  I am from the old
school ... I was a commercial CW operator at the end of the era.  The 'fist'
as u describe was similar to a speaking accent.  Some accents are easier to
understand than others (from a personal point of view).  The fist was very
important ... it defined who you were. The official policy of the service
was that operators should use a manual key.  However almost everyone on the
net (used a keyer - bug in those days) which added to but didn't create the
different 'fists'.  There were some great 'fists' ... some that u could sit
back and read like music.  To be able to send with such a fist was really a
'gift'.  Such a gifted 'fist' is by far superior to computer generated cw
using an unimaginative algorithim. If you can listen to a wonderful 'fist'
and compare to a computer generated signal ... u would immediately recognize
the difference.

So i encourage cw ops to develop their own 'fists' ... who knows they may be
one of those gifted with the magic 'fist" ... the fist that allows you to
sit back and enjoy listening to it.

Jim, VE3CI

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

M5FRA - Colin
In reply to this post by Jim Dunstan
Interesting discussion. If you _want_ to learn CW you _can_do it. I
started when was 50 and had suffered minor brain damage from years of
heart disease 'episodes' as UK doctors call them. It has been a
struggle but well worth it. Electronic decode is not the same and does
not work well with hand coded Morse. If you want to use CW then just be
determined to learn it and enjoy doing something that no amount of
money can buy.
 
Colin - G8FRA/M5FRA
 
m5fra.org.uk <http://www.m5fra.org.uk>


>
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: CW Decoding - Your Brain is best

David Gilbert
In reply to this post by N0AZZ

I don't rely on a CW decoder, but I have done a lot of contesting in
both CW and SSB modes, and if that skewed contention were true we
wouldn't have just as many people calling out of turn on SSB as we do on CW.

Dave   AB7E



>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Ralph Parker
> Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:27 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Decoding - Your Brain is best
>
>
> Sorry for the rant, but there are waaaayyyy too many people calling
> out of turn these days. I suspect that non-brain decoders are the reason.

> Ralph, VE7XF _

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
12