CW Key Recommendation

Elecraft mailing list
Could someone recommend a desktop key that is close to the size and action of the key attached to the KX3? This Advanced class ham has not sent code in decades and I would like to start sending on my K3 so can someday use a KX on CW from a remote location. I will be practically starting from scratch but I'm guessing there's no reason to start with a straight key right? Thanks for your thoughts! Rick N3IKQ

Re: CW Key Recommendation

Elecraft mailing list
As a long term member of SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) I offer the following reasons.  It is more fun, it allows easier speed diversity, it is traditional.  If your objective is to strictly send the best CW possible as easy as possible, type it on a keyboard and use a computer.  If you want to come as close as possible using hand generated code, use a set of paddles of your choice.  My choice is a Bencher Hex.  If you want to do it the hard way, start with a Straight Key and work up to a Bug.  It will be more fun.  What ever method you use, get started with what you have, can beg, borrow or steal, you will not regret it!  If this does not satisfy or run you off, contact me and I will give you more info after  Field Day, meanwhile, join a club at Field Day and expect at least as many opinions as operators you contact.Willis 'Cookie' Cooke,K5EWJ, SKCC 4077S

Could someone recommend a desktop key that is close to the size and action of the key attached to the KX3? This Advanced class ham has not sent code in decades and I would like to start sending on my K3 so can someday use a KX on CW from a remote location. I will be practically starting from scratch but I'm guessing there's no reason to start with a straight key right? Thanks for your thoughts! Rick N3IKQ

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

Re: CW Key Recommendation

Phil Wheeler-2
Rick,

Re "a desktop key that is close to the size and
action of the key attached to the KX3": That's
your core question, it appears.

Size-wise the Begali Adventure is likely close,
but action-wise likely not. It can be a desktop
key on the right base.  But price is likely
prohibitive for what you have in mind.

Perhaps Wayne will weigh in.

73, Phil W7OX

On 6/24/16 9:21 AM, rick jones via Elecraft wrote:
> Could someone recommend a desktop key that is close to the size and action of the key attached to the KX3? This Advanced class ham has not sent code in decades and I would like to start sending on my K3 so can someday use a KX on CW from a remote location. I will be practically starting from scratch but I'm guessing there's no reason to start with a straight key right? Thanks for your thoughts! Rick N3IKQ

Re: CW Key Recommendation

Kevin - K4VD
​I wonder if trying to match the size and action are really that important.
Once you have say Iambic-B down on one set of paddles then moving to
another set is not a real challenge I think. A few minutes warm-up and away
you go.

The Begali Adventure is a beautiful key. I own other Begali keys and easily
swap from the Sculpture to the ​KXPD3. Someday I'll own an Adventure I
think.

I wonder if someone might come up with a base for the KXPD3 where it can be
used off the radio? That would make a fine option if you want to practice
with a similar key. :) Now I wish I had some metalworking skills.

Also, as a long term SKCC member (605T) I will second Willis' comment.
Straight keys are a blast. Bugs are even more fun! But I know that's not
what you asked... just a little plug for the alternatives.

73 and enjoy!

Kev / K4VD

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Re "a desktop key that is close to the size and action of the key attached
> to the KX3": That's your core question, it appears.
>
> Size-wise the Begali Adventure is likely close, but action-wise likely
> not. It can be a desktop key on the right base.  But price is likely
> prohibitive for what you have in mind.
>
> Perhaps Wayne will weigh in.
>
> 73, Phil W7OX
>

> On 6/24/16 9:21 AM, rick jones via Elecraft wrote:
>
>> Could someone recommend a desktop key that is close to the size and
>> action of the key attached to the KX3? This Advanced class ham has not sent
>> code in decades and I would like to start sending on my K3 so can someday
>> use a KX on CW from a remote location. I will be practically starting from
>> scratch but I'm guessing there's no reason to start with a straight key
>> right? Thanks for your thoughts! Rick N3IKQ

Re: CW Key Recommendation

Eric J
I don't think it matters that what you practice on matches the KX3 key
either. Almost any paddle that is comfortable for you should be fine.
There's a difference between dual and single lever paddles, but even
then, if you learn on one, it won't take much to adapt to something else.

Dual levers are needed for so-called iambic keying. Single levers can't
be used for that, but they work exactly the same except you can't do
squeeze keying for alternating dits/dahs. Take a look at this:

http://www.morsex.com/pubs/iambicmyth.pdf

That site is a great source of info on keys and will let you compare a
large number of them.

You can use ANY electronic keyer without ever learning squeeze keying or
even knowing it exists. You can ignore Iambic A vs B in your KX3 as they
are irrelevant if you don't use squeeze keying.

No need to start with a straight key, however, it will teach you more
about proper timing than an electronic keyer, and that will translate to
better timing on an electronic keyer. You're relearning a skill, not how
to operate a specific device.

If you skip the straight key, you skip a very useful, traditional and
interesting skill. You can also skip learning a bug, but it is a
fascinating device and another interesting skill. In almost 60 years
I've gone from straight key to occasional bug to electronic keyer to
straight key to bug. Currently, I'm about 95% bug using a lefthanded
homebrew one I made several months ago. I can switch with relative ease,
sometimes within the same QSO from that bug to my commercial righthanded
bugs to a straight key to the internal K2 keyer. Your brain works it all
out with only a little effort to shake off the rust.

You'll easily adapt from almost any paddle to the KX3 paddle in no time
once you regain your skill with one of them.

Eric KE6US

SKCC 86

On 6/24/2016 9:21 AM, rick jones via Elecraft wrote:
> Could someone recommend a desktop key that is close to the size and action of the key attached to the KX3? This Advanced class ham has not sent code in decades and I would like to start sending on my K3 so can someday use a KX on CW from a remote location. I will be practically starting from scratch but I'm guessing there's no reason to start with a straight key right? Thanks for your thoughts! Rick N3IKQ

Re: CW Key Recommendation

American Morse Equipment has a variety of small paddles.  I have their
porta-paddle mounted on my field ops clipboard with Super-Velcro, and it
works great.  Not sure why you want a small one like the KX3 however,
you'll have to figure out how to hold it down.  It's hard to beat a
Bencher BY-1 ... cost-wise, you can buy several for the price of a
Begali <anything>.  It takes a bit of adjustment to get it right for you
but the wrench to do so comes with it.

Your K3 does Iambic-A and -B, pick one.  I've never found an obvious
advantage to Iambic and don't use it, but be advised, -B sends a
trailing dit all by itself under some circumstances.

Regarding starting on a straight key:  That subject is in the top five
subjects in ham radio that have migrated directly and completely into a
religion -- with arguments pro, con, and ambivalence extending to
infinity. :-)  Do whatever you feel comfortable with.  If your goal is
to converse using Morse at speeds above 12-15 WPM, better start with a
paddle and keyer.  If you are prone to carpal tunnel syndrome [formerly
called "glass arm"], go directly to paddle, do not pass GO, and do not
collect $200.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 6/24/2016 9:21 AM, rick jones via Elecraft wrote:
> Could someone recommend a desktop key that is close to the size and
> action of the key attached to the KX3? This Advanced class ham has
> not sent code in decades and I would like to start sending on my K3
> so can someday use a KX on CW from a remote location. I will be
> practically starting from scratch but I'm guessing there's no reason
> to start with a straight key right? Thanks for your thoughts! Rick
> N3IKQ ______________________________________________________________

Re: CW Key Recommendation

Bill-3
Long arm keys, typically those found in maritime service, are the most
pleasant of the straight keys to  use. They are expensive.

An inexpensive alternative is the Czech key seen at:
http://www.uv3r.com/CzechMorseKeys/ has a nice feel also. They can be
found from $25 to $60 on the Internet. Their good action is due to their
folded long-arm design. I have one and it is my straight key of preference.

If you go for a bug, nothing beats the VizBug at:
http://vizkey.com/order.html#90degreevizbug    It is a small and very
quiet bug (no thrashing machine noises).

I have a Vibroplex single lever paddle that I have been using since the
early 60s. Perfect for a normal keyer (don't care much for the one in
the K3).

I have never used a two paddle anything - so no comments about them.

Want to learn more about keys and CW operation in general? Take a look
at: http://radiotelegraphy.net/

I have no business interests in any of the above and really don't care
if you choose an Amplidan or just tap two bare wires together - both of
which will get the same job done.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: CW Key Recommendation

daleputnam
I have a J-38 from WWII.. original base, and very nice, with the fabric covered cable, FS.

photos available too.

And I recommend it... SKCC #87  loves it.

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

________________________________
Long arm keys, typically those found in maritime service, are the most
pleasant of the straight keys to  use. They are expensive.

An inexpensive alternative is the Czech key seen at:
http://www.uv3r.com/CzechMorseKeys/ has a nice feel also. They can be
[http://www.uv3r.com/CzechMorseKeys/images/P1000781b_opt.jpg]<http://www.uv3r.com/CzechMorseKeys/>

Czech Morse Keys - UV-3R<http://www.uv3r.com/CzechMorseKeys/>
www.uv3r.com
Czech army, military morse code key importers and Baofeng UV-3R suppliers

[...]

Dave Fugleberg
One other thing to add for the original poster...
Something that's really helped me is to use a program called Iambic Master
to help me learn how to send well with paddles. It requires you to have a
winkey-compatible keyer connected to a PC (I use a Microham unit).
You plug your paddles into the keyer, and the program shows you an
exchange, which you must 'send' properly before moving on. This showed me
how truly awful my timing between words and letters was.
On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 6:36 PM Dale Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a J-38 from WWII.. original base, and very nice, with the fabric
> covered cable, FS.
>
> photos available too.
>
> And I recommend it... SKCC #87  loves it.
>

> Have a great day,
> --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy
>

> ________________________________

Re: CW Key Recommendation

Barry K3NDM
I spent a lot of time this weekend copying CW operators who were superb
and a lot who barely know how to send. I was in the latter category and
quite oftenand  I would receive a QLF??. I built an accukeyer featured
in QST a lot of years ago and in a number of the ARRL Handbooks.

I bought a FYO paddle set which is what the Bencher looks like. I never
did use iambic sending, nor do I today. However, the result was no more
QLF?, and my fatigue level is much lower after a long weekend.

My point is you need to really practice to get good with a key so you
can be read. An electronic keyer, like in the Elecraft radios or a
Winkeyer used with a dual or single paddle set will really clean up your
sending and lessen your fatigue, even if you never use the iambic
features available.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

>One other thing to add for the original poster...
>Something that's really helped me is to use a program called Iambic
>Master
>to help me learn how to send well with paddles. It requires you to have
>winkey-compatible keyer connected to a PC (I use a Microham unit).
>You plug your paddles into the keyer, and the program shows you an
>exchange, which you must 'send' properly before moving on. This showed
>me
>how truly awful my timing between words and letters was.
>On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 6:36 PM Dale Putnam <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>  I have a J-38 from WWII.. original base, and very nice, with the
>>fabric
>>  covered cable, FS.
>>
>>  photos available too.
>>
>>  And I recommend it... SKCC #87  loves it.
>>

>>  Have a great day,
>>  --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy
>>

>>  ________________________________

Those that use QLF or worse, LID are rude. If it isn't a friend poking fun
then I ain't got time for that. Throw me your worse CW using a clothespin
and some thumb tacks. I'll copy what I can and hopefully encourage you to
improve. No paddles or keyer required.

That said, there's nothing sweeter than the classic rock sound of well sent
straight key or bug CW. Electronic keyers are top 40 bubble gum. :)

Kev / K4VD

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Barry LaZar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I spent a lot of time this weekend copying CW operators who were superb
> and a lot who barely know how to send. I was in the latter category and
> quite oftenand  I would receive a QLF??. I built an accukeyer featured in
> QST a lot of years ago and in a number of the ARRL Handbooks.
>
> I bought a FYO paddle set which is what the Bencher looks like. I never
> did use iambic sending, nor do I today. However, the result was no more
> QLF?, and my fatigue level is much lower after a long weekend.
>
> My point is you need to really practice to get good with a key so you can
> be read. An electronic keyer, like in the Elecraft radios or a Winkeyer
> used with a dual or single paddle set will really clean up your sending and
> lessen your fatigue, even if you never use the iambic features available.
>
> 73,
> Barry
> K3NDM

QLF (was Re: CW Key Recommendation)

Jessie Oberreuter-2

      I've been sending right handed for decades, but the older I get, the
more left-handed I seem to become, and I carry a lot less tension when I'm
being a lefty, so a few weeks ago, I gave left handed paddle keying a try.
      At first, it was very strange.  The keying was fine, but I could
practically feel my brain moving the internal furniture about as it worked
out the routing.  At field day this year, I ended up with the KX3 on the
left, and the laptop on the right.  I'd hoped to be computer keying this
year, but I wasn't that organized, so I used the KX3 Palm micro-paddles
left handed :).
      It was all working great!  I'd drop a dit now and again, but all was
well until, at some point Saturday evening, I started getting fuzzy, and
right in the middle of a QSO, wait, uh, what?  I can't seem to send
anymore!  Yikes!  Fortunately, the op on the other end waited until I'd
cranked the keyer speed down a bit and finally sent our club call and
exchange correctly.  Thank you, who every you were!  I got up, took a
walk, had a cuppa, and went back to work without a glitch.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Barry LaZar wrote:

> I spent a lot of time this weekend copying CW operators who were superb and a
> lot who barely know how to send. I was in the latter category and quite
> oftenand  I would receive a QLF??. I built an accukeyer featured in QST a lot
> of years ago and in a number of the ARRL Handbooks.
>
> I bought a FYO paddle set which is what the Bencher looks like. I never did
> use iambic sending, nor do I today. However, the result was no more QLF?, and
> my fatigue level is much lower after a long weekend.
>
> My point is you need to really practice to get good with a key so you can be
> read. An electronic keyer, like in the Elecraft radios or a Winkeyer used
> with a dual or single paddle set will really clean up your sending and lessen
> your fatigue, even if you never use the iambic features available.
>
> 73,
> Barry
> K3NDM

OR.. you could check into the cw practice net on 14.0625 at 2200z on Tues and Thurs followed immediately on 7.0625 about 2215 or so...

IF that is a bad time.. I'll meet you about any time.. to practice.... I can set up text tx.. or we can simply chat.. at

a speed just a tiny bit faster than you send.. so.. don't fudge.  See you then!

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy