Cheap Headphones

eric manning-2
I have the CM500, paid $40 US for it.

Very comfy, sounds good, fair price,
my sole complaint is that the
cans slide on the headpiece too easily, I have to re-adjust them every
time Iput it on,
the cure will be the Handyman's Secret Weapon - Duct tape!

Eric VA7DZ

--
"We have the best model of learning that
17th-century technology can provide.

believed to be clean.

Re: Cheap Headphones

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM, eric manning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have the CM500, paid $40 US for it.
>
> Very comfy, sounds good, fair price,
> my sole complaint is that the
> cans slide on the headpiece too easily, I have to re-adjust them every time
> Iput it on,
> the cure will be the Handyman's Secret Weapon - Duct tape!

I use two pieces of 3/4"-wide velcro strap intended for
cable-management, wrapped around the sliding pieces to prevent them
from sliding all the way. Works for me ... maybe dependent on
head-size ;)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: Cheap headphones

w7aqk
Hi All,

I think a lot of us who have CM-500 headsets did so based on the
recommendation from Jim Brown, K9YA.  Jim is very knowledgeable about this
sort of thing (he's an audio engineer), and he spent a lot of time
evaluating the CM-500 before mentioning it to the rest of us.  I, for one,
am most pleased with my set (I actually have two of them), and think they
are head and shoulders above the Heil headset combo I had been using (the
"IC" model, which is the same thing Elecraft sells under their own name).
The earphones are considerably better, and they fit nicely.  The microphone
is an electret, and electrets seem to work great generally.  The one thing I
would caution you about on the CM-500 is the headband.  There is a
cushioning strap that goes across, under the headband itself, and it is not
able to take much abuse.  Adjusting the headset for proper fit is not as
smooth and easy as with some headsets, and you have to manipulate each side
with some care.  My point is that, if you just pull on the two sides, that
strap may tear.  Mine did!  Anyway, with just a little care in getting the
adjustment right, you will probably be very happy!  For the price I don't
think you can beat this headset.

Dave W7AQK

Re: Cheap headphones

Jay Kobelin
Hi Dick,

I just got one and what I did was just extend to maximize, Putin, the push fromthevother center of the headband down and it

Jay

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:57 AM, "Dyarnes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I think a lot of us who have CM-500 headsets did so based on the recommendation from Jim Brown, K9YA.  Jim is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing (he's an audio engineer), and he spent a lot of time evaluating the CM-500 before mentioning it to the rest of us.  I, for one, am most pleased with my set (I actually have two of them), and think they are head and shoulders above the Heil headset combo I had been using (the "IC" model, which is the same thing Elecraft sells under their own name). The earphones are considerably better, and they fit nicely.  The microphone is an electret, and electrets seem to work great generally.  The one thing I would caution you about on the CM-500 is the headband.  There is a cushioning strap that goes across, under the headband itself, and it is not able to take much abuse.  Adjusting the headset for proper fit is not as smooth and easy as with some headsets, and you have to manipulate each side with some care.  My point is that, if y
 ou just pull on the two sides, that strap may tear.  Mine did!  Anyway, with just a little care in getting the adjustment right, you will probably be very happy!  For the price I don't think you can beat this headset.

> Dave W7AQK

Re: Cheap headphones

On 4/10/2013 9:57 AM, Dyarnes wrote:
> Jim Brown, K9YC.  Jim is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing
> (he's an audio engineer), and he spent a lot of time evaluating the
> CM-500 before mentioning it to the rest of us.

Credit Josh, W6XU, another audio pro, for discovering the CM500 and
arranging a group purchase for the Northern California Contest Club
several years ago.

Re: Cheap headphones

Jay Kobelin
Well, that fired off a bit early....these iPads are touchy....especially that SEND button

Putin = put on

"...then push from the center of the headband downward and it will move down equally down until the head band reaches the top of your head. Mine slid down nice and easy."

Don't you just love auto spell checker when your typing and then your thumb accidentally hits that SEND button so cleverly placed near a corner grasping point on the iPad.:)

Jay

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 10, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Jay Kobelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dick,
>
> I just got one and what I did was just extend to maximize, Putin, the push fromthevother center of the headband down and it
>
> Jay
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:57 AM, "Dyarnes" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I think a lot of us who have CM-500 headsets did so based on the recommendation from Jim Brown, K9YA.  Jim is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing (he's an audio engineer), and he spent a lot of time evaluating the CM-500 before mentioning it to the rest of us.  I, for one, am most pleased with my set (I actually have two of them), and think they are head and shoulders above the Heil headset combo I had been using (the "IC" model, which is the same thing Elecraft sells under their own name). The earphones are considerably better, and they fit nicely.  The microphone is an electret, and electrets seem to work great generally.  The one thing I would caution you about on the CM-500 is the headband.  There is a cushioning strap that goes across, under the headband itself, and it is not able to take much abuse.  Adjusting the headset for proper fit is not as smooth and easy as with some headsets, and you have to manipulate each side with some care.  My point is that, if
 you just pull on the two sides, that strap may tear.  Mine did!  Anyway, with just a little care in getting the adjustment right, you will probably be very happy!  For the price I don't think you can beat this headset.

>> Dave W7AQK

Re: Cheap headphones

Dave LaBat
For whatever reason I like the more substantial feel of the Heil for
contesting, but it physically wears on me causing fatigue. So I switch but
need to take time to re-eq. Not the best situation but it if keeps me in the
chair  another 2 hours it's a win. The Cm 500 is an unquestionable bargain.
If I had to have only one, it would be the CM 500... except my kid keeps
taking it for some internet game!

Can I do the re-eq via macro?

Dave NT6AA

> Jim Brown, K9YC.  Jim is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing
> (he's an audio engineer), and he spent a lot of time evaluating the
> CM-500 before mentioning it to the rest of us.

Credit Josh, W6XU, another audio pro, for discovering the CM500 and
arranging a group purchase for the Northern California Contest Club several
years ago.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Cheap headphones

On 4/10/2013 12:57 PM, Dyarnes wrote:
> I, for one, am most pleased with my set (I actually have two of them),
> and think they are head and shoulders above the Heil headset combo I had
> been using (the "IC" model, which is the same thing Elecraft sells under
> their own name). The earphones are considerably better, and they fit nicely.

The CM-500 has been a "poorly kept secret" for several years.  I got one
when Bob Heil refused to sell me repair parts for my 30 year old ProSet
HC5 a few years ago.  I quickly bought a second CM-500 as a spare - the
cost *for the pair* was less than what the "Heil Hospital" wanted just
to replace the mic clamshell and HC-5 element on my ProSet.

The effort to fit a CM-500 to Kenwood, Yaesu or Ten-Tec is minor -
they are a direct "plug-in" for the Elecraft and Icom (with bias).

Re: Cheap headphones

Jay Kobelin
For an expedition of 10 + days with numerous 3-4 hour shifts round the
clock, the Heil tends to get "heavy"...thus my experimenting with the
CM500...very impressed and more comfortable. The ear coverage is better IMHO

It's best to fit each station with the same headset (CM500 in this case) so
other ops not familiar with the K3 do not have to go into the K3's menus.

> For whatever reason I like the more substantial feel of the Heil for
> contesting, but it physically wears on me causing fatigue. So I switch but
> need to take time to re-eq. Not the best situation but it if keeps me in
> the
> chair  another 2 hours it's a win. The Cm 500 is an unquestionable
> bargain.
> If I had to have only one, it would be the CM 500... except my kid keeps
> taking it for some internet game!
>
> Can I do the re-eq via macro?
>
> Dave NT6AA

[OT] Keyboards

Bill Frantz
On 4/10/13 at 10:28 AM, [hidden email] (Jay Kobelin) wrote:

> Don't you just love auto spell checker when your typing and then your thumb accidentally hits that
> SEND button so cleverly placed near a corner grasping point on the iPad.:)

Bill, AE6JV