Quantcast

Cheap and Easy SDR

n1wr
I've been watching and waiting for someone to broach this subject.  Bob Nickels, W9RAN, wrote an article in January QST about using the DVB-T dongle as an SDR.  Anyone looked at using this for a spectrum display on the K3?  Thoughts?

73, Wayne N1WR

Re: Cheap and Easy SDR

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-12-13 01:51 PM, Wayne Rogers wrote:
> I've been watching and waiting for someone to broach this subject.  Bob
> Nickels, W9RAN, wrote an article in January QST about using the DVB-T
> dongle as an SDR.  Anyone looked at using this for a spectrum display on
> the K3?  Thoughts?

I am interested in trying out an SDR and am thinking of building my own. I
don't get QST but I did stumble across a USB style DVB device in my research
of SDR radios. From what I recall, it was of possible use in receiving
VHF/UHF frequencies. That would make it unlikely to be usable with an
Elecraft radio.

You might also be referring to a different dongle than the one I saw, in
which case what I said above may not apply.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Cheap and Easy SDR

Barry K3NDM
I know the cost is much greater, but the KX3 makes a fantastic SDR. I've
been using it with a good sound card and am extremely pleased. I can see
where this one radio could solve a large number of requirements in a
single small box. Check out Sherwood's data on radios.

Barry
K3NDM

On 12/14/2012 4:28 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

> On 12-12-13 01:51 PM, Wayne Rogers wrote:
>> I've been watching and waiting for someone to broach this subject.  Bob
>> Nickels, W9RAN, wrote an article in January QST about using the DVB-T
>> dongle as an SDR.  Anyone looked at using this for a spectrum display on
>> the K3?  Thoughts?
>
> I am interested in trying out an SDR and am thinking of building my
> own. I don't get QST but I did stumble across a USB style DVB device
> in my research of SDR radios. From what I recall, it was of possible
> use in receiving VHF/UHF frequencies. That would make it unlikely to
> be usable with an Elecraft radio.
>
> You might also be referring to a different dongle than the one I saw,
> in which case what I said above may not apply.

Re: Cheap and Easy SDR

Pete Smith N4ZR
Try kb9yig.com.  He has a couple of Softrocks that fill the bill.  For
US$21 you can get a receiver kit that can be built for any band you
want.  For US$67 you get a bandswitching receiver kit. Very complete
kitbuilding instructions and software setup info are available on the
website.  One of these was my first surface mount kit, and it was
amazingly easy.

I just read the "dongle" article in this month's QST, and frankly, I
don't *get* it.  The dongle itself only receives 67 MHz up, and you must
build a converter for the HF bands.  The author makes a lot of
eliminating the requirement for a sound card, but almost all computers
now come with at least 48 KHz sound cards that will do a quite
satisfactory job, so you can defer the decision on a wider-band card
until later.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,