Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
I am planning on configuring my KX3 to use the KPA500 and the KAT500.  Has anyone done this and what did you need to do?  I already know how to hook up the KX3 to the KPA500 but would like to hear from someone using all three together.  In particular, connections between KPA500 and KAT500.

Also, follow up question -- if you have a configuration where you switch KX3 and K3 driving the KPA500+KAT500 do you disconnect any K3 involved AUX cables?  I presume you would run with the K3 powered off if you are driving with a KX3.

Thanks,

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil,

This should work well. You'll want to install the latest firmware on all units (use the beta if it's more recent than production).

In particular, we recently updated the KXPA100 to be more tolerant of SWR swings when driving into an antenna tuner.

On Apr 9, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am planning on configuring my KX3 to use the KPA500 and the KAT500.  Has anyone done this and what did you need to do?  I already know how to hook up the KX3 to the KPA500 but would like to hear from someone using all three together.  In particular, connections between KPA500 and KAT500.
>
> Also, follow up question -- if you have a configuration where you switch KX3 and K3 driving the KPA500+KAT500 do you disconnect any K3 involved AUX cables?  I presume you would run with the K3 powered off if you are driving with a KX3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Jim Bennett
phil,

I'm doing exactly that - I have a KX3 and a K3 that share a KPA500, KAT500, and several antennas. I went by the diagram in Fred Kady's book on the KX3. Works like a charm. I can get up to 250 watts out with the KX3 driving the amp at 12 watts. And, no, I do not disconnect anything when I want to use the KX3 with the amp and tuner. Just make sure that (1) the K3 is powered off if you are using the KX3, and (2) your coax switch connecting the two radios to the amp has very good isolation. I'm using a two position Daiwa coax switch at the moment.

Let me know if you need more info. I've been using this configuration for a few months now.

Jim / W6JHB

On   Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014, at  Wednesday, 4:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I am planning on configuring my KX3 to use the KPA500 and the KAT500.  Has anyone done this and what did you need to do?  I already know how to hook up the KX3 to the KPA500 but would like to hear from someone using all three together.  In particular, connections between KPA500 and KAT500.
>
> Also, follow up question -- if you have a configuration where you switch KX3 and K3 driving the KPA500+KAT500 do you disconnect any K3 involved AUX cables?  I presume you would run with the K3 powered off if you are driving with a KX3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
Jim,

I think you mentioned the Cady KX3 book to me on a previous similar message.  If not, it was someone else.  But, at that time, I searched for the diagram and could not find it.  Upon the message below I searched again, page by page.  Finally found it.  Now, I looked in the table-of-contents but for some strange reason I never saw that section on the KX3 and KPA500.

I do have a Diamond CX-210 two-position switch.  I have a bunch of those in my shack, also one 3 position.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Apr 9, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> phil,
>
> I'm doing exactly that - I have a KX3 and a K3 that share a KPA500, KAT500, and several antennas. I went by the diagram in Fred Kady's book on the KX3. Works like a charm. I can get up to 250 watts out with the KX3 driving the amp at 12 watts. And, no, I do not disconnect anything when I want to use the KX3 with the amp and tuner. Just make sure that (1) the K3 is powered off if you are using the KX3, and (2) your coax switch connecting the two radios to the amp has very good isolation. I'm using a two position Daiwa coax switch at the moment.
>
> Let me know if you need more info. I've been using this configuration for a few months now.
>
> Jim / W6JHB
>

> On   Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014, at  Wednesday, 4:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
>> I am planning on configuring my KX3 to use the KPA500 and the KAT500.  Has anyone done this and what did you need to do?  I already know how to hook up the KX3 to the KPA500 but would like to hear from someone using all three together.  In particular, connections between KPA500 and KAT500.
>>
>> Also, follow up question -- if you have a configuration where you switch KX3 and K3 driving the KPA500+KAT500 do you disconnect any K3 involved AUX cables?  I presume you would run with the K3 powered off if you are driving with a KX3.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Wheeler-2
Surprising, because I couldn't find any mention of
the KPA500 in his K3 book by searching the pdf
version. Maybe I did a typo.

73, Phil W7OX

On 4/9/14, 8:55 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I think you mentioned the Cady KX3 book to me on a previous similar message.  If not, it was someone else.  But, at that time, I searched for the diagram and could not find it.  Upon the message below I searched again, page by page.  Finally found it.  Now, I looked in the table-of-contents but for some strange reason I never saw that section on the KX3 and KPA500.
>
> I do have a Diamond CX-210 two-position switch.  I have a bunch of those in my shack, also one 3 position.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> phil,
>>
>> I'm doing exactly that - I have a KX3 and a K3 that share a KPA500, KAT500, and several antennas. I went by the diagram in Fred Cady's book on the KX3. Works like a charm. I can get up to 250 watts out with the KX3 driving the amp at 12 watts. And, no, I do not disconnect anything when I want to use the KX3 with the amp and tuner. Just make sure that (1) the K3 is powered off if you are using the KX3, and (2) your coax switch connecting the two radios to the amp has very good isolation. I'm using a two position Daiwa coax switch at the moment.
>>
>> Let me know if you need more info. I've been using this configuration for a few months now.
>>
>> Jim / W6JHB
>>

>> On   Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014, at  Wednesday, 4:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning on configuring my KX3 to use the KPA500 and the KAT500.  Has anyone done this and what did you need to do?  I already know how to hook up the KX3 to the KPA500 but would like to hear from someone using all three together.  In particular, connections between KPA500 and KAT500.
>>>
>>> Also, follow up question -- if you have a configuration where you switch KX3 and K3 driving the KPA500+KAT500 do you disconnect any K3 involved AUX cables?  I presume you would run with the K3 powered off if you are driving with a KX3.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Jim Bennett
It be on page 147 in my book. Figure 9.17 shows a complete K3-->KPA500-->KAT500 setup. This is exactly how I've got mine set up. Nothing in the index, but it is in the TOC in the front. :-)

Jim / W6JHB

On   Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014, at  Wednesday, 9:25 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:

> Surprising, because I couldn't find any mention of the KPA500 in his K3 book by searching the pdf version. Maybe I did a typo.
>
> 73, Phil W7OX
>
> On 4/9/14, 8:55 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> I think you mentioned the Cady KX3 book to me on a previous similar message.  If not, it was someone else.  But, at that time, I searched for the diagram and could not find it.  Upon the message below I searched again, page by page.  Finally found it.  Now, I looked in the table-of-contents but for some strange reason I never saw that section on the KX3 and KPA500.
>>
>> I do have a Diamond CX-210 two-position switch.  I have a bunch of those in my shack, also one 3 position.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH
>>

>> On Apr 9, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> phil,
>>>
>>> I'm doing exactly that - I have a KX3 and a K3 that share a KPA500, KAT500, and several antennas. I went by the diagram in Fred Cady's book on the KX3. Works like a charm. I can get up to 250 watts out with the KX3 driving the amp at 12 watts. And, no, I do not disconnect anything when I want to use the KX3 with the amp and tuner. Just make sure that (1) the K3 is powered off if you are using the KX3, and (2) your coax switch connecting the two radios to the amp has very good isolation. I'm using a two position Daiwa coax switch at the moment.
>>>
>>> Let me know if you need more info. I've been using this configuration for a few months now.
>>>
>>> Jim / W6JHB

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
I probably looked in the index and found nothing.  Something like that needs to be in the index.  I almost always use an index before looking at the table of contents when I search for something.  I am a believer in that an index is a rich information source (or should be) and should contain a lot more information than just page number look up such as cross references, associations, and even new information when it fits the content.

phil

On Apr 9, 2014, at 9:31 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It be on page 147 in my book. Figure 9.17 shows a complete K3-->KPA500-->KAT500 setup. This is exactly how I've got mine set up. Nothing in the index, but it is in the TOC in the front. :-)
>
> Jim / W6JHB
>

> On   Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014, at  Wednesday, 9:25 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Surprising, because I couldn't find any mention of the KPA500 in his K3 book by searching the pdf version. Maybe I did a typo.
>>
>> 73, Phil W7OX
>>
>> On 4/9/14, 8:55 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> I think you mentioned the Cady KX3 book to me on a previous similar message.  If not, it was someone else.  But, at that time, I searched for the diagram and could not find it.  Upon the message below I searched again, page by page.  Finally found it.  Now, I looked in the table-of-contents but for some strange reason I never saw that section on the KX3 and KPA500.
>>>
>>> I do have a Diamond CX-210 two-position switch.  I have a bunch of those in my shack, also one 3 position.
>>>
>>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Wheeler-2
It may depend on the edition you have. I have the
2nd edition and page 147 relates to the KRX3
subreceiver.

Phil W7OX

On 4/10/14, 6:26 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I probably looked in the index and found
> nothing.  Something like that needs to be in the
> index.  I almost always use an index before
> looking at the table of contents when I search
> for something.  I am a believer in that an index
> is a rich information source (or should be) and
> should contain a lot more information than just
> page number look up such as cross references,
> associations, and even new information when it
> fits the content.
>
> phil
>

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 9:31 PM, Jim Bennett
>
>> It be on page 147 in my book. Figure 9.17 shows
>> a complete K3-->KPA500-->KAT500 setup. This is
>> exactly how I've got mine set up. Nothing in
>> the index, but it is in the TOC in the front. :-)
>>
>> Jim / W6JHB
>>

>> On   Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014, at  Wednesday,
>> 9:25 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>>
>>> Surprising, because I couldn't find any
>>> mention of the KPA500 in his K3 book by
>>> searching the pdf version. Maybe I did a typo.
>>>
>>> 73, Phil W7OX

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
Phil,

The Cady book being referenced here is the KX3 book which is still first edition only as far as I know.  The K3 book is now in second edition.

phil

On Apr 10, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It may depend on the edition you have. I have the 2nd edition and page 147 relates to the KRX3 subreceiver.
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 4/10/14, 6:26 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> I probably looked in the index and found nothing.  Something like that needs to be in the index.  I almost always use an index before looking at the table of contents when I search for something.  I am a believer in that an index is a rich information source (or should be) and should contain a lot more information than just page number look up such as cross references, associations, and even new information when it fits the content.
>>
>> phil
>>

>> On Apr 9, 2014, at 9:31 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It be on page 147 in my book. Figure 9.17 shows a complete K3-->KPA500-->KAT500 setup. This is exactly how I've got mine set up. Nothing in the index, but it is in the TOC in the front. :-)
>>>
>>> Jim / W6JHB

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Wheeler-2
That's the confusion. I thought you meant the K3
book (which seems a more logical place to have
something, anything, on the KPA500). Now that I
look I see the KX3 book does discuss using the KPA500.

73, Phil W7OX

On 4/10/14, 9:25 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Phil,
>
> The Cady book being referenced here is the KX3
> book which is still first edition only as far as
> I know.  The K3 book is now in second edition.
>
> phil
>
> On Apr 10, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Phil Wheeler
> wrote:
>
>> It may depend on the edition you have. I have
>> the 2nd edition and page 147 relates to the
>> KRX3 subreceiver.
>>
>> Phil W7OX
>>
>> On 4/10/14, 6:26 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> I probably looked in the index and found
>>> nothing.  Something like that needs to be in
>>> the index.  I almost always use an index
>>> before looking at the table of contents when I
>>> search for something.  I am a believer in that
>>> an index is a rich information source (or
>>> should be) and should contain a lot more
>>> information than just page number look up such
>>> as cross references, associations, and even
>>> new information when it fits the content.
>>>
>>> phil
>>>

>>> On Apr 9, 2014, at 9:31 PM, Jim Bennett

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
The KPA500/KAT500 is a new book that Cady is producing and it will also have sections on configuring with KX3 (and, other transceivers of course).  I think the KX3 book though is more appropriate for connecting the KPA500/KAT500 with the KX3 as the connection strategy for the K3 is already covered in the KPA500 guide and the KAT500 guide.

The main reason for new information on the KX3 and the reason for my question though is that I was not sure of how to do the connection setup when both the KPA500 and KAT500 are used together with the KX3 and also whether this could be done in a switched manner with the K3 and in this particular case the real unknown to me was dealing with the aux cable connections used with the K3.

phil, K7PEH

On Apr 10, 2014, at 9:40 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's the confusion. I thought you meant the K3 book (which seems a more logical place to have something, anything, on the KPA500). Now that I look I see the KX3 book does discuss using the KPA500.
>
> 73, Phil W7OX
>
> On 4/10/14, 9:25 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> Phil,
>>
>> The Cady book being referenced here is the KX3 book which is still first edition only as far as I know.  The K3 book is now in second edition.
>>
>> phil
>>
>> On Apr 10, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It may depend on the edition you have. I have the 2nd edition and page 147 relates to the KRX3 subreceiver.
>>>
>>> Phil W7OX

Re: Configuring: KX3 --> KPA500 --> KAT500

Mike Reublin
Download the .pdf version of the manual(s). They're searchable.

73, Mike NF4L