Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Kevin - K4VD
Hi... with all the hoopla over the new $7K Flex amplifier I was feeling a
little power envy so went on a search for options. I own an Elecraft KX3
and absolutely love the rig quality so I'm thinking about the KPA500/KAT500
combination assuming I'll get the same quality equipment.

Is anyone running this combination with the Flex 6500 who might share their
thoughts, configurations, hints & kinks?

I'm thinking the combination makes sense for me because (my decision
points):

1) Being a low power operator, 500 watts seems a lot more manageable than a
nuclear powered 1.5 KW setup. It seems like a good, safe step.

2) No electrician required. I think I can run it off 110 VAC already in my
shack.

3) If I understand correctly, there is little or no integration effort
required. I'm looking at putting it inline with the RF path and adding a
PTT connection. Voila.

4) The KX3 is able to easily tune my 600 ohm ladder line fed (via 4:1
BALUN) 80 meter dipole on any band so I would guess the KAT500 wouldn't
have an issue.

Is there a reason I shouldn't consider this setup with the Flex? The only
other thing that caught my eye was the ACOM 1010 which would also require
an external tuner.

73,
Kev K4VD

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Richard Thorne-4
Kevin,

I don't think you can go wrong with the KPA500/KAT500 combo.  I use one
with my 6700.

Download and install DDUTIL on your computer which does a great job
integrating the 6XXX and amp combo together.  A couple of things DDUTIL
will do for you:

     - Drive power by band
     - Amp will follow the 6XXX band changes
     - Tuner will follow band changes as well as band segment changes

It's very slick.  500 watts gets the job done.  The only time you may
wish you had more power is on 160 and 80 for dxing.

Rich - N5ZC

On 2/9/2017 8:49 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:

> Hi... with all the hoopla over the new $7K Flex amplifier I was feeling a
> little power envy so went on a search for options. I own an Elecraft KX3
> and absolutely love the rig quality so I'm thinking about the KPA500/KAT500
> combination assuming I'll get the same quality equipment.
>
> Is anyone running this combination with the Flex 6500 who might share their
> thoughts, configurations, hints & kinks?
>
> I'm thinking the combination makes sense for me because (my decision
> points):
>
> 1) Being a low power operator, 500 watts seems a lot more manageable than a
> nuclear powered 1.5 KW setup. It seems like a good, safe step.
>
> 2) No electrician required. I think I can run it off 110 VAC already in my
> shack.
>
> 3) If I understand correctly, there is little or no integration effort
> required. I'm looking at putting it inline with the RF path and adding a
> PTT connection. Voila.
>
> 4) The KX3 is able to easily tune my 600 ohm ladder line fed (via 4:1
> BALUN) 80 meter dipole on any band so I would guess the KAT500 wouldn't
> have an issue.
>
> Is there a reason I shouldn't consider this setup with the Flex? The only
> other thing that caught my eye was the ACOM 1010 which would also require
> an external tuner.
>
> 73,
> Kev K4VD

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

George Thornton
I have toyed with the idea of moving up to an amp.  My problem is I live in an urban location with houses close together.  I am concerned that with too much power I might start lighting up the neighbors' TV's and computers.

I think the best money invested is in the antenna.  I got a used 3 element SteppIr a few years ago, paying about what it would have cost for a KPA 500 by the time I added a rooftop tower and used rotor.  I have been very pleased with what I have been able to do using 100 watts and that antenna, and I have found only a few situations where power would have helped me.

Of course, now we are down in the solar cycle and I am now looking at what I can do to improve low band performance.  I am contemplating a 43 ft vertical and a SteppIr DB 18e.

I have owned pretty much only Elecraft over the past decade and a half and I have been well pleased with the quality of their equipment.
[...]

Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Kevin,

You will find success with the KPA500/KAT500 combo with any transceiver
that uses an RCA jack for KEYOUT.  Elecraft announced last week that it
is working on adapter cables for transceivers which use connectors other
than an RCA jack for KEYOUT.

You will be pleased with the KPA500/KAT500 with almost any driver
transceiver.

On 2/9/2017 9:49 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
> Hi... with all the hoopla over the new $7K Flex amplifier I was feeling a
> little power envy so went on a search for options. I own an Elecraft KX3
> and absolutely love the rig quality so I'm thinking about the KPA500/KAT500
> combination assuming I'll get the same quality equipment.

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Kevin - K4VD
Thanks for your advice everyone. I just ordered the combo KPA/KAT package.
Now comes the long wait.

Is it here yet?

73,
Kev K4VD

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Al K0VM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kev,
>
>    I use Elecrafts KXUSBa USB to 3.5 serial for the KAT500 to PC/Flex. And
> USB to RS232 serial for the KPA500 to PC/Flex ( the KUSB included now
> included with the KPA500 should work).
>
> AL, K0VM
>
> On 2/10/2017 10:37 AM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
>
> Hi Al...
>
> This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. The "500 watt radio" is
> perfect. I think I'm about to place the order for the combo KPA/KAT-500. Do
> you know of any accessories/additional cables I will need? Also, as I set
> things up, would you mind if I hit you up with additional questions?
>
> Kev
>

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Al K0VM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I find the KPA500/KAT500 a perfect match for my 6500.. The simple set up
>> is just a key line from the 6500 thru the KAT to the KPA.  With a couple of
>> USB cables to the back of the 6500, both will track frequency/band changes.
>> DDUtil will give you a bit more automation with the USB cables attached to
>> the PC instead.
>>
>> Its almost a plug and play, and almost acts like as a 500 watt radio
>> rather separate boxes
>>
>> AL, K0VM
>>
>> On 2/9/2017 8:49 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
>>
>> Hi... with all the hoopla over the new $7K Flex amplifier I was feeling a
>> little power envy so went on a search for options. I own an Elecraft KX3
>> and absolutely love the rig quality so I'm thinking about the KPA500/KAT500
>> combination assuming I'll get the same quality equipment.
>>
>> Is anyone running this combination with the Flex 6500 who might share their
>> thoughts, configurations, hints & kinks?
>>
>> I'm thinking the combination makes sense for me because (my decision
>> points):
>>
>> 1) Being a low power operator, 500 watts seems a lot more manageable than a
>> nuclear powered 1.5 KW setup. It seems like a good, safe step.
>>
>> 2) No electrician required. I think I can run it off 110 VAC already in my
>> shack.
>>
>> 3) If I understand correctly, there is little or no integration effort
>> required. I'm looking at putting it inline with the RF path and adding a
>> PTT connection. Voila.
>>
>> 4) The KX3 is able to easily tune my 600 ohm ladder line fed (via 4:1
>> BALUN) 80 meter dipole on any band so I would guess the KAT500 wouldn't
>> have an issue.
>>
>> Is there a reason I shouldn't consider this setup with the Flex? The only
>> other thing that caught my eye was the ACOM 1010 which would also require
>> an external tuner.
>>
>> 73,
>> Kev K4VD
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Kevin - K4VD
I feel like a kid with his first BB gun. Real nervous every time I pull the
trigger. But so far things seem to be working as they should.

I hooked the Flex 6500 through the KPA500 to the KAT500 after doing all the
setup stuff. My supply voltage is 120.7 VAC and HV reads 73.7 until I key
down. I used the yellow tap. It drops to 54 V which seems kind of low. The
book says less than 60 volts with reduced output power and as low as 40.
Not sure if I should move the tap from yellow to red. I'll leave it on
yellow for now.

A quick test of input vs. output shows around 14 A max:

in    out
10    190
15    290
20    380
25    460
30    520

That was on 40 meters. On 20 meters the output is a bit lower with 500
being reached at 35 in. I'm setting the rig's max out to 35 watts.

I'm not using DDUtils or the new USB band data stuff from Flex quite yet. I
just have the basic setup of keying and letting the auto-band detect do its
job. So far so good I think.

Still some testing and getting over the nerves left to do. The antenna is a
dipole except hex on 20.

Did anyone else almost jump out of their chair the first time the KAT500
tuned up? I'm having a good day! :)

73,
Kev K4VD

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Kevin - K4VD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> 2) No electrician required. I think I can run it off 110 VAC already in my
>>> shack.
>>>
>>> 3) If I understand correctly, there is little or no integration effort
>>> required. I'm looking at putting it inline with the RF path and adding a
>>> PTT connection. Voila.
>>>
>>> 4) The KX3 is able to easily tune my 600 ohm ladder line fed (via 4:1
>>> BALUN) 80 meter dipole on any band so I would guess the KAT500 wouldn't
>>> have an issue.
>>>
>>> Is there a reason I shouldn't consider this setup with the Flex? The only
>>> other thing that caught my eye was the ACOM 1010 which would also require
>>> an external tuner.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Kev K4VD
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Bill K9YEQ
Ken, From what I know, sounds like the line voltage may be low when keying down.  Measure it with the amp running if you can.  If it stays steady, you are ok.   I don't know your house wiring and fusing, check that.  #14 wire is good at 15 amps at the breaker and #12 is fused at 20 amps.  If the line voltage dips and nothing blows in the fuse box given these numbers, then might moving the tap.  The manual is clear on settings.  Depending on the line load and the house wiring size and fusing, then you might have to do a bit more.  My line voltage is closer to 125V and fused at 20, the amp stays above the 60 volts always and I run full power with SSB.  I left the default on my factory KPA500.  I think it comes set at the higher voltage.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

> [...]

>>> and adding a PTT connection. Voila.
>>>
>>> 4) The KX3 is able to easily tune my 600 ohm ladder line fed (via
>>> 4:1
>>> BALUN) 80 meter dipole on any band so I would guess the KAT500
>>> wouldn't have an issue.
>>>
>>> Is there a reason I shouldn't consider this setup with the Flex? The
>>> only other thing that caught my eye was the ACOM 1010 which would
>>> also require an external tuner.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Kev K4VD
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
>>> [hidden email]

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Hi Bill.

A Fluke plugged into the same outlet shows 120.0 VAC unkeyed and 116.9 VAC
(60 V internal) keyed with 190 watts out. 114.4 (55 V internal) with 500
watts out.

This is CW.

I could drop the tap down to RED (106-115 VAC). I kind of feel I'm on the
borderline. I'm trying to get a buddy to listen for my signal to see if
there's any anomalies he can identify. I'm getting a low hum at key down
but reading the book that seems about normal. Nothing bothersome.

Kev

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Bill Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ken, From what I know, sounds like the line voltage may be low when keying
> down.  Measure it with the amp running if you can.  If it stays steady, you
> are ok.   I don't know your house wiring and fusing, check that.  #14 wire
> is good at 15 amps at the breaker and #12 is fused at 20 amps.  If the line
> voltage dips and nothing blows in the fuse box given these numbers, then
> might moving the tap.  The manual is clear on settings.  Depending on the
> line load and the house wiring size and fusing, then you might have to do a
> bit more.  My line voltage is closer to 125V and fused at 20, the amp stays
> above the 60 volts always and I run full power with SSB.  I left the
> default on my factory KPA500.  I think it comes set at the higher voltage.
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Don Wilhelm
Kevin,

I would suggest that you get an electrician to check the wiring to that
outlet and the end in the breaker box.  That sounds like too much AC
line drop to me.

You may have to do that check on all outlets on that AC circuit.  If
they are wired with "Backstab" connections, those connections should be
changed to move the wires under the screwheads.
Failure to do so can result in overheating a poor AC junction, and in
the worst case a fire.

I would attend to that matter before changing the transformer tap.

If you are calling in an electrician, you might be better off to have
him run a dedicated 240 volt line to the shack, but while that would
solve the problem for the KPA500, my feeling is that you still would
have a potentially hazardous situation in the AC circuit you are
currently using.

On 2/15/2017 4:51 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
> Hi Bill.
>
> A Fluke plugged into the same outlet shows 120.0 VAC unkeyed and 116.9 VAC
> (60 V internal) keyed with 190 watts out. 114.4 (55 V internal) with 500
> watts out.

Re: Considering KPA500/KAT500 Combo with Flex 6500

Kevin - K4VD
It is worth bringing someone in to check the lines. A 220 VAC circuit might
be part of it but I'll have what I have checked out. The entry panel is on
the other side of the house unfortunately.