Controlled Envelope SSB

GM4JJJ
Having just read the article by Dave W9GR in Feb 2016 edition of QST magazine, where he details Controlled Envelope SSB, I am keen to know if the existing hardware in the KX3 and/or K3 could in the future support CESSB by a firmware update?

At first I was worried that this technology may be patented or licensed only to one manufacturer, but the author writes that it will be placed in the public domain and in particular the "ham domain" royalty free, which is marvellous news.

It certainly sounds most appealing.

73 from David GM4JJJ

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

NC3Z Gary
He had also published an article in QEX in 2014 about CESSB and said
that Flex is implementing it, and if improves the talk power by almost
3dB. I would love to see it in the KX3.

Gary Mitchelson
NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15

On 09-Jan-16 19:10, David Anderson wrote:
> Having just read the article by Dave W9GR in Feb 2016 edition of QST magazine, where he details Controlled Envelope SSB, I am keen to know if the existing hardware in the KX3 and/or K3 could in the future support CESSB by a firmware update?
>
> At first I was worried that this technology may be patented or licensed only to one manufacturer, but the author writes that it will be placed in the public domain and in particular the "ham domain" royalty free, which is marvellous news.
>
> It certainly sounds most appealing.
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

alorona
If there are any [Keysight Technologies] SystemVue users out there I had implemented W9GR's CESSB algorithm after his first excellent article, and I'd be happy to share the workspace with you.

Dave also made his MATLAB files available for download from the ARRL site after his initial article, for any MATLAB folks.

Al  W6LX

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

GM4JJJ
Yes Gary, I saw that QEX article and the new one in QEX this month that discusses the possibility of external CESSB processing for existing SSB rigs, and how different types of SSB modulators preserve the CESSB signal or not. He explains there may be benefits to using ECSSB externally even with a rig that do not preserve the ECSSB completely.

Although there are not commercial external ECSSB processors available, in the QEX article there is a link to ECSSB audio test files which can be used to evaluate with a scope looking at the RF envelope whether or not a rig is "ECSSB ready". It will be interesting to test this with my KX3 into a load.

The new QEX article:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2016/January_February_2016/Hershberger_QEX_1_16.pdf

Perhaps we are going off topic, but no doubt we will hear more about ECSSB in the years to come, and hopefully with their DSP expertise Elecraft will be participating.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 10 Jan 2016, at 00:49, NC3Z Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> He had also published an article in QEX in 2014 about CESSB and said
> that Flex is implementing it, and if improves the talk power by almost
> 3dB. I would love to see it in the KX3.
>

> Gary Mitchelson
> NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15
>

>> On 09-Jan-16 19:10, David Anderson wrote:
>> Having just read the article by Dave W9GR in Feb 2016 edition of QST magazine, where he details Controlled Envelope SSB, I am keen to know if the existing hardware in the KX3 and/or K3 could in the future support CESSB by a firmware update?
>>
>> At first I was worried that this technology may be patented or licensed only to one manufacturer, but the author writes that it will be placed in the public domain and in particular the "ham domain" royalty free, which is marvellous news.
>>
>> It certainly sounds most appealing.

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

NC3Z Gary
Thanks for the link, my ARRL magazines take more time to get to me now
that I am out in the boon-docks. The new QEX article is a good read, and
with flex incorporating CESSB we can hope that maybe Elecraft can
incorporated it into at least the KX3.

On 10-Jan-16 07:20, David Anderson wrote:

> Yes Gary, I saw that QEX article and the new one in QEX this month that discusses the possibility of external CESSB processing for existing SSB rigs, and how different types of SSB modulators preserve the CESSB signal or not. He explains there may be benefits to using ECSSB externally even with a rig that do not preserve the ECSSB completely.
>
> Although there are not commercial external ECSSB processors available, in the QEX article there is a link to ECSSB audio test files which can be used to evaluate with a scope looking at the RF envelope whether or not a rig is "ECSSB ready". It will be interesting to test this with my KX3 into a load.
>
> The new QEX article:
>
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2016/January_February_2016/Hershberger_QEX_1_16.pdf
>
> Perhaps we are going off topic, but no doubt we will hear more about ECSSB in the years to come, and hopefully with their DSP expertise Elecraft will be participating.

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

Michael Walker
This was presented at Dayton this year.  If memory serves me correctly, it
was installed in SmartSDR 1.2 back in March of 2015.

http://www.flex-radio.nl/flex-6000-serie/the-flex-insider/

It is very interesting just how big the impact of overshooting has on
killing your RF output.

This is one of those ... less is more .. situations.

Mike va3mw

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 7:53 AM, NC3Z Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the link, my ARRL magazines take more time to get to me now
> that I am out in the boon-docks. The new QEX article is a good read, and
> with flex incorporating CESSB we can hope that maybe Elecraft can
> incorporated it into at least the KX3.
>

> Gary Mitchelson
> NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15
>

> On 10-Jan-16 07:20, David Anderson wrote:
> > Yes Gary, I saw that QEX article and the new one in QEX this month that
> discusses the possibility of external CESSB processing for existing SSB
> rigs, and how different types of SSB modulators preserve the CESSB signal
> or not. He explains there may be benefits to using ECSSB externally even
> with a rig that do not preserve the ECSSB completely.
> >
> > Although there are not commercial external ECSSB processors available,
> in the QEX article there is a link to ECSSB audio test files which can be
> used to evaluate with a scope looking at the RF envelope whether or not a
> rig is "ECSSB ready". It will be interesting to test this with my KX3 into
> a load.
> >
> > The new QEX article:
> >

> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2016/January_February_2016/Hershberger_QEX_1_16.pdf
> >
> > Perhaps we are going off topic, but no doubt we will hear more about
> ECSSB in the years to come, and hopefully with their DSP expertise Elecraft
> will be participating.

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

GM4JJJ
Mike,

I don't know why but I kept using ECSSB when I meant CESSB obviously, sorry for any confusion!

Although the Elecraft power levelling is excellent, and I have not ever had bad reports of audio quality or splatter with my KX3 with the processor on or off, it certainly would be nice to be able to increase the talk power further as CESSB promises.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 10 Jan 2016, at 16:04, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This was presented at Dayton this year.  If memory serves me correctly, it
> was installed in SmartSDR 1.2 back in March of 2015.
>
> http://www.flex-radio.nl/flex-6000-serie/the-flex-insider/
>
> It is very interesting just how big the impact of overshooting has on
> killing your RF output.
>
> This is one of those ... less is more .. situations.
>
> Mike va3mw
>

>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 7:53 AM, NC3Z Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the link, my ARRL magazines take more time to get to me now
>> that I am out in the boon-docks. The new QEX article is a good read, and
>> with flex incorporating CESSB we can hope that maybe Elecraft can
>> incorporated it into at least the KX3.
>>

>> Gary Mitchelson
>> NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

Michael Walker
Hi David

I doubt you ever will.  If I remember correctly, what the CESSB does is
correctly clamp the gain while ensuring you continue to get full power.

The micro second you go over 100%, the radio starts to clamp RF out and in
fact reduces it considerably.  You would only be able to tell by watching
your RF envelope in a scope.

This is all off the top of my head, but that is what I remember.  I'll have
to read the paper on it again.

There are likely others that know more about it than I do.

Mike

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I don't know why but I kept using ECSSB when I meant CESSB obviously,
> sorry for any confusion!
>
> Although the Elecraft power levelling is excellent, and I have not ever
> had bad reports of audio quality or splatter with my KX3 with the processor
> on or off, it certainly would be nice to be able to increase the talk power
> further as CESSB promises.
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>
> > On 10 Jan 2016, at 16:04, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > This was presented at Dayton this year.  If memory serves me correctly,
> it
> > was installed in SmartSDR 1.2 back in March of 2015.
> >
> > http://www.flex-radio.nl/flex-6000-serie/the-flex-insider/
> >
> > It is very interesting just how big the impact of overshooting has on
> > killing your RF output.
> >
> > This is one of those ... less is more .. situations.
> >
> > Mike va3mw
> >

> >> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 7:53 AM, NC3Z Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for the link, my ARRL magazines take more time to get to me now
> >> that I am out in the boon-docks. The new QEX article is a good read, and
> >> with flex incorporating CESSB we can hope that maybe Elecraft can
> >> incorporated it into at least the KX3.
> >>

> >> Gary Mitchelson
> >> NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

GM4JJJ
I just finished playing the two test files that the author supplied, through the sound card to the KX3 and used the Data A input so that there was no compression or TX equalisation taking effect. I had the scope connected to a sampler on a dummy load and the KX3 set to 14.3 MHz at 3 watts PEP.

The RF power levelling in the KX3 does a very good job. Reducing the drive level of the audio well below ALC indication made almost no difference as the KX3 just went ahead and levelled the power again to 3 watts PEP ...

I captured the peak output on the digital sampling scope for both the conventional and CESSB signal from the KX3 RF output and here are links to the scope screen shots.

First the CESSB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kjrvzispyb45jy/CESSB%20ESSB%204KHz.BMP?dl=0

The conventional SSB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4mmlwkcb77540c/conventional%20ESSB%204Khz.BMP?dl=0

Not a lot of difference, certainly not as much as there is if you compare the audio files going into the rig.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 10 Jan 2016, at 18:36, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi David
>
> I doubt you ever will.  If I remember correctly, what the CESSB does is
> correctly clamp the gain while ensuring you continue to get full power.
>
> The micro second you go over 100%, the radio starts to clamp RF out and in
> fact reduces it considerably.  You would only be able to tell by watching
> your RF envelope in a scope.
>
> This is all off the top of my head, but that is what I remember.  I'll have
> to read the paper on it again.
>
> There are likely others that know more about it than I do.
>
> Mike
>

>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I don't know why but I kept using ECSSB when I meant CESSB obviously,
>> sorry for any confusion!
>>
>> Although the Elecraft power levelling is excellent, and I have not ever
>> had bad reports of audio quality or splatter with my KX3 with the processor
>> on or off, it certainly would be nice to be able to increase the talk power
>> further as CESSB promises.
>>
>> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>>
>>> On 10 Jan 2016, at 16:04, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This was presented at Dayton this year.  If memory serves me correctly,
>> it
>>> was installed in SmartSDR 1.2 back in March of 2015.
>>>
>>> http://www.flex-radio.nl/flex-6000-serie/the-flex-insider/
>>>
>>> It is very interesting just how big the impact of overshooting has on
>>> killing your RF output.
>>>
>>> This is one of those ... less is more .. situations.
>>>
>>> Mike va3mw

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

Don Wilhelm-4
David,

Reducing the audio drive level "well below ALC indication" is not a good
idea because the KX3 will 'power hunt'.
You should have at least 4 bars indicated on the ALC meter with the 5th
bar flickering.
ALC action is indicated by the 5th bar and above.  Below that the "ALC"
meter is more or less like a VU meter to allow you to adjust the audio
drive.

On 1/12/2016 4:26 PM, David Anderson wrote:

> I just finished playing the two test files that the author supplied, through the sound card to the KX3 and used the Data A input so that there was no compression or TX equalisation taking effect. I had the scope connected to a sampler on a dummy load and the KX3 set to 14.3 MHz at 3 watts PEP.
>
> The RF power levelling in the KX3 does a very good job. Reducing the drive level of the audio well below ALC indication made almost no difference as the KX3 just went ahead and levelled the power again to 3 watts PEP ...
>
> I captured the peak output on the digital sampling scope for both the conventional and CESSB signal from the KX3 RF output and here are links to the scope screen shots.
>
> First the CESSB
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kjrvzispyb45jy/CESSB%20ESSB%204KHz.BMP?dl=0
>
> The conventional SSB
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4mmlwkcb77540c/conventional%20ESSB%204Khz.BMP?dl=0
>
> Not a lot of difference, certainly not as much as there is if you compare the audio files going into the rig.
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>

>> On 10 Jan 2016, at 18:36, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David
>>
>> I doubt you ever will.  If I remember correctly, what the CESSB does is
>> correctly clamp the gain while ensuring you continue to get full power.
>>
>> The micro second you go over 100%, the radio starts to clamp RF out and in
>> fact reduces it considerably.  You would only be able to tell by watching
>> your RF envelope in a scope.
>>
>> This is all off the top of my head, but that is what I remember.  I'll have
>> to read the paper on it again.
>>
>> There are likely others that know more about it than I do.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I don't know why but I kept using ECSSB when I meant CESSB obviously,
>>> sorry for any confusion!
>>>
>>> Although the Elecraft power levelling is excellent, and I have not ever
>>> had bad reports of audio quality or splatter with my KX3 with the processor
>>> on or off, it certainly would be nice to be able to increase the talk power
>>> further as CESSB promises.
>>>
>>> 73 from David GM4JJJ

>>> it

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

GM4JJJ
Yes I know that Don, the purpose of the test was to see how much overshoot we got with an CESSB processed audio verses with normal audio and compare them. As part of my experiments I needed to see how much influence the audio drive level had and tried different audio drive levels from 0 to 5 bars of VU on the initial reference tone at the start of the transmission, to study how the power levelling worked on the KC3. I totally understand the function of the VU meter aspect of the "ALC" meter on the KX3.

What I didn't want to do was have -any- ALC taking place as it may have masked the effect I was trying to see on the output envelope, hence the experimentation on levels which I knew should be below ALC, though as it is impossible to to turn off the closed loop power levelling in the KX3 it is hard to do the test at all.

I did try at the normal drive levels as well, and with compression on/off, with SSB in ESSB and just about any other setting you care to mention.  It was an experiment, that is all.

What is apparent from looking at the output RF envelope is that the power levelling system always adjusts the peak power to what you have set in PWR very rapidly whatever speech audio drive level you apply to the radio. In this respect it is quite different to other radios, as we know from the instructions on how to set up levels for data and so on.

The KX3 does show some envelope overshoot even with an external CESSB signal, showing that the current system is not "CESSB ready" as W9GR would put it. Meaning that even if an external box was available to produce CESSB audio in realtime, it would not be of very much benefit with the existing KX3 SSB modulator. See the QEX article this month (link in earlier post).

I am still interested to know if it would be possible for Elecraft to implement CESSB (which is freely available) within the KX3 DSP modulator.

CESSB isn't a new MODE, and doesn't need a new receiver demodulator or anything.

Can I just finish by saying that I have no connection at all with W9GR or any other radio manufacturer.

I and am purely interested in whether this method of increasing average speech power within an SSB signal without production of clipped overshoot could be of benefit to Elecraft radios. From the detailed articles in QEX and QST it sounds to have great potential and is already available by one of the other USA radio manufacturers as I understand from the referenced article.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 12 Jan 2016, at 22:05, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> Reducing the audio drive level "well below ALC indication" is not a good idea because the KX3 will 'power hunt'.
> You should have at least 4 bars indicated on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flickering.
> ALC action is indicated by the 5th bar and above.  Below that the "ALC" meter is more or less like a VU meter to allow you to adjust the audio drive.

>> On 1/12/2016 4:26 PM, David Anderson wrote:
>> I just finished playing the two test files that the author supplied, through the sound card to the KX3 and used the Data A input so that there was no compression or TX equalisation taking effect. I had the scope connected to a sampler on a dummy load and the KX3 set to 14.3 MHz at 3 watts PEP.
>>
>> The RF power levelling in the KX3 does a very good job. Reducing the drive level of the audio well below ALC indication made almost no difference as the KX3 just went ahead and levelled the power again to 3 watts PEP ...
>>
>> I captured the peak output on the digital sampling scope for both the conventional and CESSB signal from the KX3 RF output and here are links to the scope screen shots.
>>
>> First the CESSB
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kjrvzispyb45jy/CESSB%20ESSB%204KHz.BMP?dl=0
>>
>> The conventional SSB
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4mmlwkcb77540c/conventional%20ESSB%204Khz.BMP?dl=0
>>
>> Not a lot of difference, certainly not as much as there is if you compare the audio files going into the rig.
>>
>> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>>

>>> On 10 Jan 2016, at 18:36, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David
>>>
>>> I doubt you ever will.  If I remember correctly, what the CESSB does is
>>> correctly clamp the gain while ensuring you continue to get full power.
>>>
>>> The micro second you go over 100%, the radio starts to clamp RF out and in
>>> fact reduces it considerably.  You would only be able to tell by watching
>>> your RF envelope in a scope.
>>>
>>> This is all off the top of my head, but that is what I remember.  I'll have
>>> to read the paper on it again.
>>>
>>> There are likely others that know more about it than I do.
>>>
>>> Mike

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 1/13/2016 6:07 AM, David Anderson wrote:
 > I and am purely interested in whether this method of increasing
 > average speech power within an SSB signal without production of
 > clipped overshoot could be of benefit to Elecraft radios. From the
 > detailed articles in QEX and QST it sounds to have great potential
 > and is already available by one of the other USA radio manufacturers
 > as I understand from the referenced article.

Since both the K3 and KX3 produce SSB purely by DSP - microphone
audio is digitized to I/Q streams, the streams processed numerically,
translated to an RF frequency and the I/Q streams converted back to
analog, the algorithms of CESSB should be applicable to both K3 and
KX3.

Implementing them (adding them to the DSP codes for voice modes while
maintaining traditional modulation algorithms for data modes) is a
question for Lyle and Wayne.

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

This may be possible, and we'll look into it when we get a chance.

On Jan 13, 2016, at 3:07 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am still interested to know if it would be possible for Elecraft to implement CESSB (which is freely available) within the KX3 DSP modulator...

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

NC3Z Gary
I would second the request to look into this if it truly improved SSB
performance as noted in the articles.

On 13-Jan-16 11:09, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> This may be possible, and we'll look into it when we get a chance.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 3:07 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am still interested to know if it would be possible for Elecraft to implement CESSB (which is freely available) within the KX3 DSP modulator...

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

N1EU
There was a discussion a while back on the Flex forum about their
implementation of CESSB in the 6000 series:
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cessb-questions

OpenHPSDR also implemented CESSB, about a year ago.

73, Barry N1EU

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM, NC3Z Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would second the request to look into this if it truly improved SSB
> performance as noted in the articles.
>

> Gary Mitchelson
> NC3Z/4 Pamlico County, NC FM15
>

> On 13-Jan-16 11:09, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> > This may be possible, and we'll look into it when we get a chance.
> >
> > 73,
> > Wayne
> > N6KR
> >

> > On Jan 13, 2016, at 3:07 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I am still interested to know if it would be possible for Elecraft to
> implement CESSB (which is freely available) within the KX3 DSP modulator...

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

Phil Wheeler-2
That would be a very interesting development, Wayne.

73, Phil W7OX

On 1/13/16 8:09 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> This may be possible, and we'll look into it when we get a chance.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 3:07 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am still interested to know if it would be possible for Elecraft to implement CESSB (which is freely available) within the KX3 DSP modulator...

Re: Controlled Envelope SSB

Bob Novas
I downloaded the 11x14_Hershberger zip archive and ran the cessb.m script
through a fresh install of Octave 4.0.0 on a Windows box.

- I had to install the signal package  (pkg install -forge signal)
- I have to load the signal package every time I start Octave (pkg load
signal)
- I had to comment out all lines starting with saveas - there appears to be
a bug in Octave that causes it to hang when saving plots. ("OpenGL feedback
buffer overflow). you can also just abort the gs.exe process to allow the
script to continue.  I tried adding 'graphics_toolkit("gnuplot");' as the
first line of the script, this was said to be helpful in some of the bug
reports, but didn't help me.
- if you step through the code you can see the plots, if you run the code,
you won't see the plots.

Interesting.  I can't actually hear much difference when I play the original
and processed wav files, but the script reports a power gain of 3.6db which
would be significant.

I'd love to try this out on the air!

Bob, W3DK

Message