DSP Noise Reduction and contesting

W0JFR
Interesting point about about the DSP in the KX3. I was told at Dayton
that the DSP in the KX3 was several generations newer than what we have
in the K3.

With the audio problems Elecraft has had on the board (additional
daughter card) and the continued continued complaints about audio
distortion (Sherwood), maybe they will redesign the card with the newest
DSP generation and offer it to K3 owners as an upgrade. Of course, this
would lead to some interesting DSP firmware distribution problems with
different hardware platforms to support!
   - 73, John, N0TA

  [Elecraft] DSP Noise Reduction and contesting

Johnny Siu
Wed, 07 Nov 2012 07:59:57 -0800

Hello Tony,

I concur with your observation.  In SSB, the NR in Icom is far better.  Among
all the 8 x 4 = 32 choices in NR settings in K3, I am afraid that none of them
is as good as that of NR of Icom in SSB.

The success of the implementation of IF DSP will depend on:

1.  the processing power of the DSP chip set;
2.  the ability to write an efficent firmware to optimise the performance of
the DSP chip set.

Surprisingly, while I was told that the NR in KX3 was the same as that in K3, I
feel the NR in KX3 sounds better and less artifact.

I trust elecraft keeps on looking for ways to improve the NR performance.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

DSP Noise Reduction and contesting

Johnny Siu
Yes, John.  I did find the NR in KX3 is better.  Among all the three elecraft radios, in SSB, the order of usefulness (in decending order) of NR could be of the following:

KX3, K3 and KDSP2 in K2

I believe the DSP chip set in KX3 could be newer.  The process power of the DSP chip could be easily found in the data sheet of that particular chip set.  The process power, like CPU speed in our PC, does affect the performance (including NR) and design of the radio.

Finding the 'sweet spot' for NR in KX3 is much easier but none of the 32 selections in K3 in NR is really useful for SSB.  Unless for contest (I switch off the NR), I would go back to my Icom rather than K3.  Luckily, I now have KX3 which has a much better NR.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ John Reilly <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Elecraft <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2012年11月8日 (週四) 6:12 AM
主題︰ [Elecraft] DSP Noise Reduction and contesting

[...]

Just a short note following my previous email below.

I am now in IARU Region 3 conference in, Ho Chi Ming City, Vietnam.  I am very happy to meet a number of Elecrafters as well.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ John Reilly <[hidden email]>; Elecraft <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2012年11月8日 (週四) 7:28 AM
[...]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

Re: DSP Noise Reduction and contesting

Gary Gregory
*My thinking is the FW will change when Lyle and Wayne have finished as
Wayne has already posted on here awhile ago. Hence this discussion may
indeed be mute?

Just my observations along with successful use today on 40M yet again.

There will always be room for improvement but the noise changes daily, even
minute by minute at times and there most likely will be times when nothing
helps, nature of the beast springs to mind.

I will wait for Wayne and Lyle to complete their next version and see how
that goes.

Regards,
Gary
*
On 8 November 2012 10:28, Johnny Siu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, John.  I did find the NR in KX3 is better.  Among all the three
> elecraft radios, in SSB, the order of usefulness (in decending order) of NR
> could be of the following:
>
> KX3, K3 and KDSP2 in K2
>
> I believe the DSP chip set in KX3 could be newer.  The process power of
> the DSP chip could be easily found in the data sheet of that particular
> chip set.  The process power, like CPU speed in our PC, does affect the
> performance (including NR) and design of the radio.
>
> Finding the 'sweet spot' for NR in KX3 is much easier but none of the 32
> selections in K3 in NR is really useful for SSB.  Unless for contest (I
> switch off the NR), I would go back to my Icom rather than K3.  Luckily, I
> now have KX3 which has a much better NR.
>

> TNX & 73,
>
> Johnny VR2XMC
>

> ________________________________
>  寄件人︰ John Reilly <[hidden email]>
> 收件人︰ Elecraft <[hidden email]>
> 傳送日期︰ 2012年11月8日 (週四) 6:12 AM
> 主題︰ [Elecraft] DSP Noise Reduction and contesting
>
> Interesting point about about the DSP in the KX3. I was told at Dayton
> that the DSP in the KX3 was several generations newer than what we have
> in the K3.
>
> With the audio problems Elecraft has had on the board (additional
> daughter card) and the continued continued complaints about audio
> distortion (Sherwood), maybe they will redesign the card with the newest
> DSP generation and offer it to K3 owners as an upgrade. Of course, this
> would lead to some interesting DSP firmware distribution problems with
> different hardware platforms to support!
>    - 73, John, N0TA
>

>   [Elecraft] DSP Noise Reduction and contesting
>
> Johnny Siu
> Wed, 07 Nov 2012 07:59:57 -0800
>
> Hello Tony,
>
> I concur with your observation.  In SSB, the NR in Icom is far better.
> Among
> all the 8 x 4 = 32 choices in NR settings in K3, I am afraid that none of
> them
> is as good as that of NR of Icom in SSB.
>
> The success of the implementation of IF DSP will depend on:
>
> 1.  the processing power of the DSP chip set;
> 2.  the ability to write an efficent firmware to optimise the performance
> of
> the DSP chip set.
>
> Surprisingly, while I was told that the NR in KX3 was the same as that in
> K3, I
> feel the NR in KX3 sounds better and less artifact.
>
> I trust elecraft keeps on looking for ways to improve the NR performance.
>

> TNX & 73,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KX3 #2122
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007