Don't have a 50W dummy load

Tony Estep
Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to do
the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W calibration
went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

KT0NY, the human dummy

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Ross Primrose
Surely there's a local ham you can borrow one from....

73, Ross N4RP

On 3/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Estep wrote:

> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to do
> the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W calibration
> went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
> again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?
>
> KT0NY, the human dummy

FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Tony Estep
Hmmm, I am trying to restore 4.86. I have haux0283.hex, hdsp0283.hex, and
hmcu0486 and hmcu486b. However, the utility says I don't have some of the
files I need. I went to the Elecraft FTP site but can't figure out how to
get back to 4.86. Anybody have any constructive suggestions?

Tony KT0NY

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Tony Estep <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to
> do the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W
> calibration went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can
> use the K3 again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?
>
> KT0NY, the human dummy

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Tony Estep
Aha, I did have all the files for version 4.83.

Tony KT0NY

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Tony Estep <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm, I am trying to restore 4.86. I have haux0283.hex, hdsp0283.hex, and
> hmcu0486 and hmcu486b. However, the utility says I don't have some of the
> files I need. I went to the Elecraft FTP site but can't figure out how to
> get back to 4.86. Anybody have any constructive suggestions?
>
> Tony KT0NY
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Tony Estep <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to
>> do the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W
>> calibration went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can
>> use the K3 again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?
>>
>> KT0NY, the human dummy

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Tony,

"Scolding time" :-)
One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy load
capable of handling the maximum power that your station can develop.
Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to 1.5GHz for
$11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so that is an
additional $5.  See https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.

If ever you run into a problem, the first check is to see what happens
when you transmit into a dummy load.  That removes many variables - like
RFI problems and antenna problems.  It is the first check I recommend.
If the rig works into the dummy load, you need to look for the problem
somewhere other than the rig.

I have had rigs sent to me for "repair" only to find that there is
nothing wrong.  The resulting repair charge is greater than the cost of
a good dummy load.

If you look for one at a hamfest, take your ohmmeter along to check if
it is still a 50 ohm load - some are burned out from excessive power.

On 3/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to do
> the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W calibration
> went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
> again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Brian Murrey
Excellent advice Don.  I bought a 100w dummy load kit from OHR. It's
called the RFL-100 and it's about $40, comes in a very nice cabinet, and
takes less than an hour to build.  It has come in handy more times than
I can count.

http://www.ohr.com/rfl100.htm

Oak Hills has some good goods.

73 de KB9BVN
Brian Murrey

On 3/24/2015 5:25 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tony,
>
> "Scolding time" :-)
> One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy
> load capable of handling the maximum power that your station can
> develop.  Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to
> 1.5GHz for $11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so
> that is an additional $5.  See
> https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.
>
> If ever you run into a problem, the first check is to see what happens
> when you transmit into a dummy load.  That removes many variables -
> like RFI problems and antenna problems.  It is the first check I
> recommend.  If the rig works into the dummy load, you need to look for
> the problem somewhere other than the rig.
>
> I have had rigs sent to me for "repair" only to find that there is
> nothing wrong.  The resulting repair charge is greater than the cost
> of a good dummy load.
>
> If you look for one at a hamfest, take your ohmmeter along to check if
> it is still a 50 ohm load - some are burned out from excessive power.

> On 3/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
>> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have
>> to do
>> the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W
>> calibration
>> went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
>> again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Russ-2
Look on eBay - I have gotten great deals on precision loads. Get a hi power 30 dB attenuator if possible so you can monitor your signal.
73 Russ KD4JO

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy load
capable of handling the maximum power that your station can develop.
Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to 1.5GHz for
$11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so that is an
additional $5.  See https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.

If ever you run into a problem, the first check is to see what happens
when you transmit into a dummy load.  That removes many variables - like
RFI problems and antenna problems.  It is the first check I recommend.
If the rig works into the dummy load, you need to look for the problem
somewhere other than the rig.

I have had rigs sent to me for "repair" only to find that there is
nothing wrong.  The resulting repair charge is greater than the cost of
a good dummy load.

If you look for one at a hamfest, take your ohmmeter along to check if
it is still a 50 ohm load - some are burned out from excessive power.

On 3/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to do
> the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W calibration
> went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
> again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Bill Frantz
You can use it as a K3/10. The safe way is to set Config->KPA3
to PA BYP to disable the 100W amp. Now you can contact your
friends and ask to borrow a dummy load. <Repeat Don's scold here.>

73 Bill AE6JV

On 3/24/15 at 12:25 PM, [hidden email] (Tony Estep) wrote:

>Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have to do
>the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W calibration
>went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
>again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

I can add, for those who want a good 130+ watt  dummy load and are
willing to build one (a quart size Heath 'Cantenna'), take a look at
http://k4eaa.com/dummy.html.

I built 2, one for myself and another for my grandson (we did it as a
project together).  It is not difficult at all.
You may want to check for mineral oil at a lower price than the drug
store.  Tractor Supply has it because it is used for horses.  It might
be available at vet supply places as well.

On 3/24/2015 5:25 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tony,
>
> "Scolding time" :-)
> One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy
> load capable of handling the maximum power that your station can
> develop.  Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to
> 1.5GHz for $11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so
> that is an additional $5.  See
> https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.
>
> If ever you run into a problem, the first check is to see what happens
> when you transmit into a dummy load.  That removes many variables -
> like RFI problems and antenna problems.  It is the first check I
> recommend.  If the rig works into the dummy load, you need to look for
> the problem somewhere other than the rig.
>
> I have had rigs sent to me for "repair" only to find that there is
> nothing wrong.  The resulting repair charge is greater than the cost
> of a good dummy load.
>
> If you look for one at a hamfest, take your ohmmeter along to check if
> it is still a 50 ohm load - some are burned out from excessive power.

> On 3/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
>> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have
>> to do
>> the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W
>> calibration
>> went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
>> again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

W1KSZ
I tried that link and my computer lit up and said it was an
..."untrusted connection"... .
Did there site get hijacked ??

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On 3/24/2015 2:25 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tony,
>
> "Scolding time" :-)
> One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy
> load capable of handling the maximum power that your station can
> develop.  Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to
> 1.5GHz for $11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so
> that is an additional $5.  See
> https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.
>
> If ever you run into a problem, the first check is to see what happens
> when you transmit into a dummy load.  That removes many variables -
> like RFI problems and antenna problems.  It is the first check I
> recommend.  If the rig works into the dummy load, you need to look for
> the problem somewhere other than the rig.
>
> I have had rigs sent to me for "repair" only to find that there is
> nothing wrong.  The resulting repair charge is greater than the cost
> of a good dummy load.
>
> If you look for one at a hamfest, take your ohmmeter along to check if
> it is still a 50 ohm load - some are burned out from excessive power.

> On 3/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Estep wrote:
>> Well, now I downloaded the new firmware, only to discover that I have
>> to do
>> the 50W calibration. I have a 5W dummy load, but no 50W. The 5W
>> calibration
>> went okay. So do I have to get a 50W dummy load before I can use the K3
>> again? Or should I back down to the previous firmware? Or what?

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Don Wilhelm-4
Not hijacked, just that there are no valid certificates for that site -
I believe it is an OK site.
Ridge Equipment does have an Ebay store, so if you are hesitant to go
direct to the site, go to Ebay and look for Ridge Equipment from there -
they should be listed in the Test Equipment category.

On 3/24/2015 6:05 PM, Richard Solomon wrote:

> I tried that link and my computer lit up and said it was an
> ..."untrusted connection"... .
> Did there site get hijacked ??
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ
>
> On 3/24/2015 2:25 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Tony,
>>
>> "Scolding time" :-)
>> One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy
>> load capable of handling the maximum power that your station can
>> develop.  Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to
>> 1.5GHz for $11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so
>> that is an additional $5.  See
>> https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Dave KW4M
It's a good idea to check the resistance of any used dummy load, especially one that has some age on it.

The resistance of my 30+ year old Heath Cantenna gradually reduced to 42 ohms.  This was enough error for the power meter to indicate a potential transmitter problem.

W1GA is selling non-inductive replacement resistors on eBay for use in the Cantenna.  I purchased one and it brought the resistance back to 50 ohms.

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Don Wilhelm-4
I have heard the same thing about the original Heath Cantenna.
I have a homebrew gallon size "Cantenna" that I built many years ago.  I
happened along some large wattage carbon resistors (about 1/2 inch in
diameter and 2.5 inches long - maybe 25 watts each) and used several of
them in parallel to create a 50 ohm load ( I recall it was 11 560 ohm
resistors).  This was when I was a "cash-flow restricted ham".  I
measured mine recently with my antenna analyzer and was surprised to
find it was still less than 1.15 SWR up through 30 MHz.  This is despite
reports that the old 'trusted' carbon carbon resistor changed value with
age.  In any case, I am happy with the results of that old homebrew
dummy load.

In the same batch of resistors, I also had many 1500 ohm units.  I was
going to put 30 of them in parallel for a dry dummy load, but the lead
length was excessive and the leads gave it an inductive characteristic
above 14 MHz.

The original Cantenna used a single resistor which apparently did change
in value with aging.

On 3/24/2015 6:44 PM, Dave KW4M wrote:

> It's a good idea to check the resistance of any used dummy load, especially
> one that has some age on it.
>
> The resistance of my 30+ year old Heath Cantenna gradually reduced to 42
> ohms.  This was enough error for the power meter to indicate a potential
> transmitter problem.
>
> W1GA is selling non-inductive replacement resistors on eBay for use in the
> Cantenna.  I purchased one and it brought the resistance back to 50 ohms.
>

> -----
> Dave
> My Web Site

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Robin Moseley
I have a spare modern bird 150 watt load for sale, UK £100  + carriage if
any  one needs one.,   Wakefield UK

Robin  G1MHU

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Tony Estep
For those who may be wondering, I received some off-line emails which
actually tried to answer my question. The winner was the suggestion that I
rubber-band my little resistor array (which is actually good for 10W, not
5W as I said before) to a baggie filled with ice. Thanks to all who
provided constructive responses!

Tony KT0NY

Don't have a 50W dummy load

Johnny Siu
Hello Tony,
As suggested by Don W3FPR, you do need a proper 100W dummy load for long run.  Dummy load is  not expensive especially in the used market.  There are still plenty of left-over from the  paging industry.  My dummy load is a waste product dismantled from a paging station.
Finish the TX gain calibration first and look for a proper dummy load later.
73
Johnny VR2XMC
       寄件人︰ Tony Estep <[hidden email]>
 收件人︰ Elecraft <[hidden email]>
 傳送日期︰ 2015年03月25日 (週三) 9:28 AM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Don't have a 50W dummy load

For those who may be wondering, I received some off-line emails which
actually tried to answer my question. The winner was the suggestion that I
rubber-band my little resistor array (which is actually good for 10W, not
5W as I said before) to a baggie filled with ice. Thanks to all who
provided constructive responses!

Tony KT0NY

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Eugene Balinski
http://www.ohr.com/rfl100.htm

Gets good reviews...
73
K1NR

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 01:41:48 +0000 (UTC)
 Johnny Siu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Tony,
> As suggested by Don W3FPR, you do need a proper 100W
> dummy load for long run.  Dummy load is  not expensive
> especially in the used market.  There are still plenty of
> left-over from the  paging industry.  My dummy load is a
> waste product dismantled from a paging station.
> Finish the TX gain calibration first and look for a
> proper dummy load later.
> 73
> Johnny VR2XMC
>        寄件人︰ Tony Estep <[hidden email]>
>  收件人︰ Elecraft <[hidden email]>
>  傳送日期︰ 2015年03月25日 (週三) 9:28 AM
>  主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Don't have a 50W dummy load
>
> For those who may be wondering, I received some off-line
> emails which
> actually tried to answer my question. The winner was the
> suggestion that I
> rubber-band my little resistor array (which is actually
> good for 10W, not
> 5W as I said before) to a baggie filled with ice. Thanks
> to all who
> provided constructive responses!
>
> Tony KT0NY

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Mike Harris-9
I have both the RFL-100 and the WM-2 from my K2 building days.  They
work very well together with the Elecraft CP1 coupler for the use at the
100W level.

I've always found that analogue instruments are better than digital when
it comes to adjusting the likes of filter tuning.  Small changes are
much easier to see with a meter needle moving rather than digits changing.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

On 24/03/2015 18:39, Brian wrote:

> Excellent advice Don.  I bought a 100w dummy load kit from OHR. It's
> called the RFL-100 and it's about $40, comes in a very nice cabinet, and
> takes less than an hour to build.  It has come in handy more times than
> I can count.
>
> http://www.ohr.com/rfl100.htm
>
> Oak Hills has some good goods.
>
> 73 de KB9BVN
> Brian Murrey

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Brian Murrey
Our local radio club built the RFL-100 as a soldering training project and
a kit building exercise.   Everyone loved the instrument they had when all
done.  OHR is hard to beat, their kits are always well documented and easy
to understand.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have both the RFL-100 and the WM-2 from my K2 building days.  They work
> very well together with the Elecraft CP1 coupler for the use at the 100W
> level.
>
> I've always found that analogue instruments are better than digital when
> it comes to adjusting the likes of filter tuning.  Small changes are much
> easier to see with a meter needle moving rather than digits changing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO
>
> On 24/03/2015 18:39, Brian wrote:
>
>> Excellent advice Don.  I bought a 100w dummy load kit from OHR. It's
>> called the RFL-100 and it's about $40, comes in a very nice cabinet, and
>> takes less than an hour to build.  It has come in handy more times than
>> I can count.
>>
>> http://www.ohr.com/rfl100.htm
>>
>> Oak Hills has some good goods.
>>
>> 73 de KB9BVN
>> Brian Murrey

73 de KB9BVN
Brian Murrey

Re: Don't have a 50W dummy load

Barry
For how long does the K3 transmit at 50W in the calibration procedure?
If it's just a few seconds, will a 10W dummy load handle it?
Barry W2UP
123