ERR XV3

Sebastian, W4AS
I received today the new KXV3B module, and installed it in my K3 serial number 05864, using K3 Utility Revision 1.15.5.1.

I also updated my K3 firmware, to revision 05.26.  I completed the Milliwatt TX Gain Calibration (since I also have an XV222).  For good measure, I also completed both the 5 and 50 watt calibration, using an old Heathkit Cantenna.  All of those completed with no errors.

However, upon powering up the K3, I see the ‘ERR XV3’ message.

I have twice removed and reinstalled the module, everything visually appears to be ok.  Since I had the original KXV3 module, I did not open the bottom of the case, and I used the same TMP cable.

Using the menu settings, I show that PREAMP2 is off, it cannot be changed. KXV3 is ‘nor'; I can however cycle through ’not inSt’ and ’tESt’.  ATTEN is 10 db and also cannot be changed.

What puzzles me is that my 222 MHz transverter appears to be functioning, which of course is installed to the KXV3B module.  And the IF Output port is functioning since I have it installed with an external SDR (Elad FDM-S1).  Additionally, while I do not have a different antenna for receive, the RX ANT switch appears to be working, as pressing it heavily attenuates and/or removes signals completely.

Since it is the weekend and I won’t be able to reach Elecraft, I would appreciate any suggestions, or perhaps something that I may have missed that I did not describe above.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

Re: ERR XV3

Jim Sheldon
I have exactly the same problem here.  My K3 doesn't recognize the KXV3B.  I triple checked the install.  Funny, but the RX-IN works and my original VLF mod works fine and it depends on the XV3's RX-IN jack so contrary to my thinking I have a defective module, I suspect a problem in FW beta 5.26 that doesn't show up on the factory lab's K3's.  Mine's #5027.

Jim, W0EB

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 6, 2015, at 12:23 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I received today the new KXV3B module, and installed it in my K3 serial number 05864, using K3 Utility Revision 1.15.5.1.
>
> I also updated my K3 firmware, to revision 05.26.  I completed the Milliwatt TX Gain Calibration (since I also have an XV222).  For good measure, I also completed both the 5 and 50 watt calibration, using an old Heathkit Cantenna.  All of those completed with no errors.
>
> However, upon powering up the K3, I see the ‘ERR XV3’ message.
>
> I have twice removed and reinstalled the module, everything visually appears to be ok.  Since I had the original KXV3 module, I did not open the bottom of the case, and I used the same TMP cable.
>
> Using the menu settings, I show that PREAMP2 is off, it cannot be changed. KXV3 is ‘nor'; I can however cycle through ’not inSt’ and ’tESt’.  ATTEN is 10 db and also cannot be changed.
>
> What puzzles me is that my 222 MHz transverter appears to be functioning, which of course is installed to the KXV3B module.  And the IF Output port is functioning since I have it installed with an external SDR (Elad FDM-S1).  Additionally, while I do not have a different antenna for receive, the RX ANT switch appears to be working, as pressing it heavily attenuates and/or removes signals completely.
>
> Since it is the weekend and I won’t be able to reach Elecraft, I would appreciate any suggestions, or perhaps something that I may have missed that I did not describe above.
>
> 73 de Sebastian, W4AS

Re: ERR XV3

Guy Olinger K2AV
I'm not at home to check, but isn't there a CONFIG: setting required for
that?   73, Guy K2AV

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: ERR XV3

Jim Sheldon
Yes there is, but it doesn't work because the K3 (not K3S) firmware is
not recognizing the KXV3B module or at least not recognizing some parts
of it.  Some of the hardware apparently works for some people and not
for others.  I'm thinking this may depend on the age of the K3?  Mine is
#5027 just for reference.

The IF output to the P3 works just fine for me, the RX-IN works and I
don't have the internal 2 meter transverter or any external transverters
installed.  Also, the 1 milliwat transmitter gain calibration completed
with no problem according to the utility program.  I can not, however
enable Preamp 2 in the menu and I get ERR XV3 every time the K3 is
turned on.

I have removed and re-installed the KXV3B module 3 times, checked for
proper seating of the connector pins and checked to ensure they were in
the right socket positions all with the exact same results.  I even
re-downloaded and re-installed the version 5.26 beta firmware to rule
out a download glitch in the zip file.

We'll most likely have to wait for the guys to get back from Pacific Con
and get to work Monday for them to address this unless the firmware
engineer for the XV3 module happens to check the reflector or the
"support at elecraft" email and is able to address the situation.

Jim - W0EB

>I'm not at home to check, but isn't there a CONFIG: setting required
>for that?   73, Guy K2AV
>
>On Saturday, June 6, 2015, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>I have exactly the same problem here.  My K3 doesn't recognize the
>>KXV3B.  I triple checked the install.  Funny, but the RX-IN works and
>>my original VLF mod works fine and it depends on the XV3's RX-IN jack
>>so contrary to my thinking I have a defective module, I suspect a
>>problem in FW beta 5.26 that doesn't show up on the factory lab's
>>K3's.  Mine's #5027.
>>
>>Jim, W0EB
>>
>>Sent from my iPad
>>
>> > On Jun 6, 2015, at 12:23 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I received today the new KXV3B module, and installed it in my K3
>>serial number 05864, using K3 Utility Revision 1.15.5.1.
>> >
>> > I also updated my K3 firmware, to revision 05.26.  I completed the
>>Milliwatt TX Gain Calibration (since I also have an XV222).  For good
>>measure, I also completed both the 5 and 50 watt calibration, using an
>>old Heathkit Cantenna.  All of those completed with no errors.
>> >
>> > However, upon powering up the K3, I see the ‘ERR XV3’ message.
>> >
>> > I have twice removed and reinstalled the module, everything visually
>>appears to be ok.  Since I had the original KXV3 module, I did not
>>open the bottom of the case, and I used the same TMP cable.
>> >
>> > Using the menu settings, I show that PREAMP2 is off, it cannot be
>>changed. KXV3 is ‘nor'; I can however cycle through ’not inSt’ and
>>’tESt’.  ATTEN is 10 db and also cannot be changed.
>> >
>> > What puzzles me is that my 222 MHz transverter appears to be
>>functioning, which of course is installed to the KXV3B module.  And
>>the IF Output port is functioning since I have it installed with an
>>external SDR (Elad FDM-S1).  Additionally, while I do not have a
>>different antenna for receive, the RX ANT switch appears to be
>>working, as pressing it heavily attenuates and/or removes signals
>>completely.
>> >
>> > Since it is the weekend and I won’t be able to reach Elecraft, I
>>would appreciate any suggestions, or perhaps something that I may have
>>missed that I did not describe above.
>> >
>> > 73 de Sebastian, W4AS

>> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>> > Message delivered to [hidden email]
>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>Message delivered to [hidden email]
>

>--
>Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: ERR XV3

Robert Friess
Go to Config, KXV3, tap 9

Exit the menu.

73,
Bob, N6CM

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes there is, but it doesn't work because the K3 (not K3S) firmware is not
> recognizing the KXV3B module or at least not recognizing some parts of it.
> Some of the hardware apparently works for some people and not for others.
> I'm thinking this may depend on the age of the K3?  Mine is #5027 just for
> reference.
>
> The IF output to the P3 works just fine for me, the RX-IN works and I
> don't have the internal 2 meter transverter or any external transverters
> installed.  Also, the 1 milliwat transmitter gain calibration completed
> with no problem according to the utility program.  I can not, however
> enable Preamp 2 in the menu and I get ERR XV3 every time the K3 is turned
> on.
>
> I have removed and re-installed the KXV3B module 3 times, checked for
> proper seating of the connector pins and checked to ensure they were in the
> right socket positions all with the exact same results.  I even
> re-downloaded and re-installed the version 5.26 beta firmware to rule out a
> download glitch in the zip file.
>
> We'll most likely have to wait for the guys to get back from Pacific Con
> and get to work Monday for them to address this unless the firmware
> engineer for the XV3 module happens to check the reflector or the "support
> at elecraft" email and is able to address the situation.
>
> Jim - W0EB

BINGO!  I must have missed that somewhere in the release notes or
something.  Works like a champ now! THANK YOU!!!!!

Jim - W0EB

>On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Yes there is, but it doesn't work because the K3 (not K3S) firmware is
>>not recognizing the KXV3B module or at least not recognizing some
>>parts of it.  Some of the hardware apparently works for some people
>>and not for others.  I'm thinking this may depend on the age of the
>>K3?  Mine is #5027 just for reference.
>>
>>The IF output to the P3 works just fine for me, the RX-IN works and I
>>don't have the internal 2 meter transverter or any external
>>transverters installed.  Also, the 1 milliwat transmitter gain
>>calibration completed with no problem according to the utility
>>program.  I can not, however enable Preamp 2 in the menu and I get ERR
>>XV3 every time the K3 is turned on.
>>
>>I have removed and re-installed the KXV3B module 3 times, checked for
>>proper seating of the connector pins and checked to ensure they were
>>in the right socket positions all with the exact same results.  I even
>>re-downloaded and re-installed the version 5.26 beta firmware to rule
>>out a download glitch in the zip file.
>>
>>We'll most likely have to wait for the guys to get back from Pacific
>>Con and get to work Monday for them to address this unless the
>>firmware engineer for the XV3 module happens to check the reflector or
>>the "support at elecraft" email and is able to address the situation.
>>
>>Jim - W0EB

Solution: ERR XV3

Matt Zilmer-2
I'm running 5.26 here.  I don't have the KXV3B in this K3.

In CONFIG:KXV3, tapping the '9' key toggles between KXV3 and KXV3B.  I
haven't consulted the current manual, so don't know if this hidden
function is suposed to work.  It will get you out of the woods though.

73!
matt
W6NIA

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:26:36 +0000, you wrote:

>Yes there is, but it doesn't work because the K3 (not K3S) firmware is
>not recognizing the KXV3B module or at least not recognizing some parts
>of it.  Some of the hardware apparently works for some people and not
>for others.  I'm thinking this may depend on the age of the K3?  Mine is
>#5027 just for reference.
>
>The IF output to the P3 works just fine for me, the RX-IN works and I
>don't have the internal 2 meter transverter or any external transverters
>installed.  Also, the 1 milliwat transmitter gain calibration completed
>with no problem according to the utility program.  I can not, however
>enable Preamp 2 in the menu and I get ERR XV3 every time the K3 is
>turned on.
>
>I have removed and re-installed the KXV3B module 3 times, checked for
>proper seating of the connector pins and checked to ensure they were in
>the right socket positions all with the exact same results.  I even
>re-downloaded and re-installed the version 5.26 beta firmware to rule
>out a download glitch in the zip file.
>
>We'll most likely have to wait for the guys to get back from Pacific Con
>and get to work Monday for them to address this unless the firmware
>engineer for the XV3 module happens to check the reflector or the
>"support at elecraft" email and is able to address the situation.
>
>Jim - W0EB

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
www.elecraft.com
831-763-4211  x129

Re: Solution: ERR XV3

Matt Zilmer-3
Ah, yes....

After setting KXV3B mode, don't forget to exit the CONFIG menu and
power-cycle the K3.  It should be fine after that step.

73,
matt
W6NIA

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Always store beer in a dark place."  -R. Heinlein

Re: ERR XV3

Sebastian, W4AS
Yes, thanks for the information.

I don’t see that in the KXV3B installation instructions, or at their web site which mentions the changes to the firmware revisions here: http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm.