Quantcast

Elecraft Amps

K4KGG
Group -

     For those who believe Elecraft can't compete in the amp market, I ask you to consider the market into which Elecraft introduced the K3. Now almost 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality transceivers for the K3.
    It's excellent that many K3 owners already have quality amps that function well for them. Many of us, however would like to purchase an amp from Elecraft with true K3 compatribility and the kind of quality and service advantages that Elecraft has brought to the K3.

                                                               K4KGG,   Larry

Re: Elecraft Amps

Dunc Carter - W5DC
Right!

lawrence libsch wrote:

> Group -
>
>      For those who believe Elecraft can't compete in the amp market, I ask you to consider the market into which Elecraft introduced the K3. Now almost 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality transceivers for the K3.
>     It's excellent that many K3 owners already have quality amps that function well for them. Many of us, however would like to purchase an amp from Elecraft with true K3 compatribility and the kind of quality and service advantages that Elecraft has brought to the K3.
>
>                                                                K4KGG,   Larry

Re: Elecraft Amps

Buck - k4ia

I am not so sure.  A watt is a  watt is a watt and it is very difficult to
conceive an amp that is going to be  so superior (as the K3 is to every
other XVCR) that someone will give up what  they have to get one.  What would
you add to, or do different from, what is  already available?  The draw of a
matching nameplate or color scheme is not  enough to make the sale.  How many
K3/K2 owners are even in the market for  an amp?

Buck
k4ia

In a message dated 2/11/2010 10:49:11 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:
Group  -

For those who believe Elecraft can't compete  in the amp market, I ask you
to consider the market into which Elecraft  introduced the K3. Now almost
4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality  transceivers for the K3.
It's excellent that many K3  owners already have quality amps that function
well for them. Many of us,  however would like to purchase an amp from
Elecraft with true K3 compatribility  and the kind of quality and service
advantages that Elecraft has brought to the  K3.

K4KGG,    Larry
Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

[hidden email] writes:
Group  -

For those who believe Elecraft can't compete  in the amp market, I ask you
to consider the market into which Elecraft  introduced the K3. Now almost
4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality  transceivers for the K3.
It's excellent that many K3  owners already have quality amps that function
well for them. Many of us,  however would like to purchase an amp from
Elecraft with true K3 compatribility  and the kind of quality and service
advantages that Elecraft has brought to the  K3.

K4KGG,    Larry
Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Elecraft Amps

Phil Hystad
I would give up my Icom PW-1 for an Elecraft solid-state amp.  Oh, wait a minute.
No, I won't give it up as long as I still have my Icom 756 Pro III but I would very
much buy the Elecraft amp given that it is a 1 KW solution at least and the price
is not too bad.  Well, I might even consider a less then 1 KW amp.

A watt may be a watt on the receiving end but they are not always the same on the
sending end.  And, with regard to amp ownership and usefulness, I am always on the
sending end, never on the receiving end.

So, what features would an Elecraft amp add that you can't get elsewhere:

1.  Wayne  &  Eric.
2.  Hopefully, Kit Quality with that "we are not finished yet" attitude for add-ons.
     [Actually, what do you add onto an amplifier?].
3.  This forum which is something that is unique to this hobby and especially when
     you are like myself, a person who can be very technical in some topics, but I
     am no expert in most of these ham radio technologies.  Having access to the
     many smart and expert people here is a great asset.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Feb 11, 2010, at 8:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am not so sure.  A watt is a  watt is a watt and it is very difficult to
> conceive an amp that is going to be  so superior (as the K3 is to every
> other XVCR) that someone will give up what  they have to get one.  What would
> you add to, or do different from, what is  already available?  The draw of a
> matching nameplate or color scheme is not  enough to make the sale.  How many
> K3/K2 owners are even in the market for  an amp?
>
> Buck
> k4ia
>
> In a message dated 2/11/2010 10:49:11 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
> Group  -
>
> For those who believe Elecraft can't compete  in the amp market, I ask you
> to consider the market into which Elecraft  introduced the K3. Now almost
> 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality  transceivers for the K3.
> It's excellent that many K3  owners already have quality amps that function
> well for them. Many of us,  however would like to purchase an amp from
> Elecraft with true K3 compatribility  and the kind of quality and service
> advantages that Elecraft has brought to the  K3.
>
> K4KGG,    Larry
> Post:  mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> In a message dated 2/11/2010 10:49:11 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
> Group  -
>
> For those who believe Elecraft can't compete  in the amp market, I ask you
> to consider the market into which Elecraft  introduced the K3. Now almost
> 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality  transceivers for the K3.
> It's excellent that many K3  owners already have quality amps that function
> well for them. Many of us,  however would like to purchase an amp from
> Elecraft with true K3 compatribility  and the kind of quality and service
> advantages that Elecraft has brought to the  K3.
>
> K4KGG,    Larry
> Post:  mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Elecraft Amps

srife
        I agree whole heartedly. I don't want an Alpha or any of the other
brands out there. I want an Elecraft Amp to match my station.

Stan Rife
W5EWA

>      For those who believe Elecraft can't compete in the amp market, I ask
you to consider the market into which Elecraft introduced the K3. Now almost
4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality transceivers for the K3.
>     It's excellent that many K3 owners already have quality amps that
function well for them. Many of us, however would like to purchase an amp
from Elecraft with true K3 compatribility and the kind of quality and
service advantages that Elecraft has brought to the K3.

>                                                                K4KGG,
Larry

01:35:00

Re: Elecraft Amps

Doug Turnbull
I wonder what true compatibility is.   An amplifier either works well with
the K3 or it does not.   I know that both Acom 1000 and Acom 2000A work
perfectly with the K3.   Interfacing an amplifier is not such a big deal
with the K3.   Of course some of our fellows have questions from time to
time but I believe that most people get their amplifier to work just fine
with the K3.

I should love to see Elecraft with successful amplifiers which were making
good money for them.   I would be very sorry to see them bring out such a
major product which did not return its investment.

Maybe Elecraft will show us all again that they can beat all the competition
but amplifiers are a bit more basic.   An old Heathkit SB200/220 can still
do wonders to raise the output a few dB.

                 73 Doug EI2CN

Re: Elecraft Amps

K4KGG
Buck, Group -

Snip

>  A watt is a  watt is a watt and it is very difficult to

>conceive an amp that is going to be  so superior (as the K3 is to every

>other XVCR) that someone will give up what  they have to get one.  What
would
>you add to, or do different from, what is  already available?

I don't think this is a relevant question. How many K3 owners could have listed the superior qualities of the K3 in answer to a similar question about a new transceiver prior to the introduction of the K3?

> How many K3/K2 owners are even in the market for  an amp?

How many current K3 owners were in the market for a K3 when the K3 was introduced? And purchasers of a new Elecrft amp need not come only from the ranks of K2/K3 owners.

                                                                         K4KGG,   Larry

>  What
would you add to, or do different from, what is  already available?

  How many
>K3/K2 owners are even in the market for  an amp?

     How many K3 owners could have answered this question for the K3 prior to its introduction?

Re: Elecraft Amps

Paul - WW2PT
I'll weigh in, just in case the Aptos crew is taking notes and
counting votes. ;-)

An off-the-shelf, high-end appliance to compete with THP or SPE would
be a high-cost, low-volume, low-profit venture, something I would not
want to undertake in the current economic conditions if I were CEO of
a small company like Elecraft.

Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state amplifier kit
that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
everything!). Some of us don't have the time, tools, and/or smarts to
homebrew such a creature on our own and would jump all over a kit like
this. It doesn't have to be anything revolutionary, just a simple amp
built around MRF150's or whatever. Base model would work with any rig
to make it appeal to the mass market, with options to expand
functionality (built-in ATU, K2/K3 interface, etc.), kind of like the
way the K2 is marketed -- buy what you need. If it could be sold for
less than a comparable Ameritron, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

73,
Paul WW2PT

On Feb 11, 2010, at 9:48 AM, lawrence libsch wrote:

> Group -
>
>      For those who believe Elecraft can't compete in the amp market,
> I ask you to consider the market into which Elecraft introduced the
> K3. Now almost 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality
> transceivers for the K3.
>     It's excellent that many K3 owners already have quality amps
> that function well for them. Many of us, however would like to
> purchase an amp from Elecraft with true K3 compatribility and the
> kind of quality and service advantages that Elecraft has brought to
> the K3.
>

> K4KGG,   Larry

Re: Elecraft Amps

Phil Hystad
I would also vote for a soldering style kit but I also recognize that there could
be some SMT components already in place.  Indeed, there are kits like this already
where many of the components are SMT on the PCB but there is still work to be
done with other components and a soldering iron.

I like the idea of a full soldering solution for the PA board though as that would
provide the kit interest and motivation with enough challenge adding new
skills to deal with high-current RF transistors, cooling issues, and possibly
winding your own splitters and combiners (if they are needed).

I disagree somewhat with the "If I were CEO..." comment.  That logic may
be true for a big company but small aggressive companies win more often
by taking the less conservative road and springing out with new ideas.  Isn't
that where Elecraft came from in the first place.

Adding to that idea, back in 1978, several of us engineers & mathematicians
and programmers had an idea for a new somewhat aggressive
business venture so we proposed this
to the CEO and other executives of our company.  They turned us down.  So,
we split and formed our own company and within 5 years we had totally
surpassed our former company beating them out on more and more
competitive bids (large custom projects) in the north american market.  Our
former company chose to get out of the market that they could no longer
effectively compete and they sold that division to someone else.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Feb 11, 2010, at 10:15 AM, WW2PT wrote:

> I'll weigh in, just in case the Aptos crew is taking notes and
> counting votes. ;-)
>
> An off-the-shelf, high-end appliance to compete with THP or SPE would
> be a high-cost, low-volume, low-profit venture, something I would not
> want to undertake in the current economic conditions if I were CEO of
> a small company like Elecraft.
>
> Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state amplifier kit
> that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
> everything!). Some of us don't have the time, tools, and/or smarts to
> homebrew such a creature on our own and would jump all over a kit like
> this. It doesn't have to be anything revolutionary, just a simple amp
> built around MRF150's or whatever. Base model would work with any rig
> to make it appeal to the mass market, with options to expand
> functionality (built-in ATU, K2/K3 interface, etc.), kind of like the
> way the K2 is marketed -- buy what you need. If it could be sold for
> less than a comparable Ameritron, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
>
> 73,
> Paul WW2PT
>

> On Feb 11, 2010, at 9:48 AM, lawrence libsch wrote:
>
>> Group -
>>
>>     For those who believe Elecraft can't compete in the amp market,
>> I ask you to consider the market into which Elecraft introduced the
>> K3. Now almost 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality
>> transceivers for the K3.
>>    It's excellent that many K3 owners already have quality amps
>> that function well for them. Many of us, however would like to
>> purchase an amp from Elecraft with true K3 compatribility and the
>> kind of quality and service advantages that Elecraft has brought to
>> the K3.
>>

>> K4KGG,   Larry

Re: Elecraft Amps

AB3EN
As Paul said "Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state amplifier kit
that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
everything!). "

Amen! A kit with soldering would keep the cost down and give us K3 folks something to make smoke with!

My vote is yes for small solid state kit.

Dan

Dan AB3EN

Re: Elecraft Amps

David Gilbert

I find it kind of funny that all these folks who want Elecraft to develop and market a high power amplifier are able to list all of the features it should have, but not a single one so far (including the other "met too" answers to this particular post) are able to define how much they'd be willing to pay for it.  So I'm going to ask it outright ... what price would be your upper limit for a legal limit amplifier from Elecraft?  Please specify whether you are including autotune or not.

73,
Dave   AB7E

     For those who believe Elecraft can't compete in the amp market, I ask you to consider the market into which Elecraft introduced the K3. Now almost 4000 of us have sold or retired other high quality transceivers for the K3.
    It's excellent that many K3 owners already have quality amps that function well for them. Many of us, however would like to purchase an amp from Elecraft with true K3 compatibility and the kind of quality and service advantages that Elecraft has brought to the K3.

                                                               K4KGG,   Larry

Re: Elecraft Amps

Paul - WW2PT
Hi Phil,

As I recall, the place Elecraft came from in the first place was a
seller of really cool and affordable kits for those who didn't want
another expensive plug-and-play appliance. ;-)

73,
WW2PT

On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I disagree somewhat with the "If I were CEO..." comment.  That logic
> may
> be true for a big company but small aggressive companies win more
> often
> by taking the less conservative road and springing out with new
> ideas.  Isn't
> that where Elecraft came from in the first place.

Re: Elecraft Amps

Merv Schweigert
I have no doubt that a full featured 1.5KW output SS amp with tuner yada
yada
would be in the 10,000 or over category.
And I am sure there is a limited market for that,  but look at how many
Ameritron
amps are sold,  the SS series,  I have replaced finals in many of the ALS
series amps.  there is nothing special or exotic about those amps,
making a kit
that used the same type finals,  was truly breakin capable, had proper
cooling,
and in a same size matching cabinet as the K3 would not be difficult at
all.
I do not see any problem for any one who can assemble a K2 to build an amp
kit,  it would be much easier.  And sales would be 10 times more than a 1.5
KW amp at the higher price.  Cover 160 to 6 meters.
I would be interested in one just for a driver for my homebrew amps.  the K3
at 100 watts in insufficient,  so I use an Alpha 99 with the K3,  and it
works
QSK etc fine.  Close match to the K3 also, black with white labels.

My only suggestion to Elecraft is to not leak any new products until
they are
very close to release,  outsiders and some insiders are getting the opinion
that if a product is "announced" you can figure a year to 1 1/2 years
before you can
actually own it.  Not a real good reputation.  May work for a product
like the
K3 one time, but repeats on "delays" will kill the goose that laid the
golden
egg.
Merv KH7C

> As Paul said "Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state
> amplifier kit
> that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
> everything!). "
>
> Amen! A kit with soldering would keep the cost down and give us K3 folks
> something to make smoke with!
>
> My vote is yes for small solid state kit.
>
> Dan
>
> -----
>
> Dan AB3EN

Re: Elecraft Amps

Mike Reublin
Good question, Dave.

$3600.00 for a 1Kw 160-6M with auto-tune.

73, Mike NF4L

Dave - AB7E wrote:
> I find it kind of funny that all these folks who want Elecraft to develop and market a high power amplifier are able to list all of the features it should have, but not a single one so far (including the other "met too" answers to this particular post) are able to define how much they'd be willing to pay for it.  So I'm going to ask it outright ... what price would be your upper limit for a legal limit amplifier from Elecraft?  Please specify whether you are including autotune or not.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

Re: Elecraft Amps

w7go
The Acom 2000A is a fine amp and works great with my K3.
The amp is a beast to move though and I would consider
selling it and getting an Elecraft amp when and if they become available.

73

Tony W7GO

Doug Turnbull wrote:

> I wonder what true compatibility is.   An amplifier either works well with
> the K3 or it does not.   I know that both Acom 1000 and Acom 2000A work
> perfectly with the K3.   Interfacing an amplifier is not such a big deal
> with the K3.   Of course some of our fellows have questions from time to
> time but I believe that most people get their amplifier to work just fine
> with the K3.
>
> I should love to see Elecraft with successful amplifiers which were making
> good money for them.   I would be very sorry to see them bring out such a
> major product which did not return its investment.
>
> Maybe Elecraft will show us all again that they can beat all the competition
> but amplifiers are a bit more basic.   An old Heathkit SB200/220 can still
> do wonders to raise the output a few dB.
>
>                  73 Doug EI2CN

Re: Elecraft Amps

Craig Smith
OK, I might as well document my personal wish list:

500W is more than enough.  I want it physically small and acoustically
quiet.
Solid state.  Auto tune and QSK with K3.  AC powered.  Kit is fine.  No
internal tuner, but see options below.  Target price $2K.

Option:  REMOTE/WEATHERPROOF auto tuner.  Target price $1K.

Then I'll be happy (and quiet).

        73    Craig  AC0DS

Re: Elecraft Amps

srife
I wouldn't give up my old SB-200, but I would MOST CERTAINLY buy an Elecraft
amplifier should they choose to continue down the path to production. I
think they only need to build one amp at this time though, say in the 800 to
1000 watt range. And I don't think it needs to be 100% duty cycle, but
certainly something that would support digital modes for several minutes (8
to 10)at half power, or maybe full power. An 8 minute transmit time on
digital is a long transmission. I'm no amp expert for sure, but this would
seem like an adequate duty cycle. I don't think they need to design another
Alpha amp that some of us can't afford. I was going to be quite happy with
the KPA-800 for around 3500 bucks (I believe), and it was all automatic with
a tuner.

        As someone stated, making it a modular kit like the K3 is a very
good idea. That way you can buy the basic amp and then add accessories as
you can afford them (automatic rig following, tuner, built in wattmeter,
etc.).

Stan Rife
W5EWA

>  A watt is a  watt is a watt and it is very difficult to

>conceive an amp that is going to be  so superior (as the K3 is to every

>other XVCR) that someone will give up what  they have to get one.  What
would
>you add to, or do different from, what is  already available?

I don't think this is a relevant question. How many K3 owners could have
listed the superior qualities of the K3 in answer to a similar question
about a new transceiver prior to the introduction of the K3?

> How many K3/K2 owners are even in the market for  an amp?

How many current K3 owners were in the market for a K3 when the K3 was
introduced? And purchasers of a new Elecrft amp need not come only from the
ranks of K2/K3 owners.

K4KGG,   Larry

>  What
would you add to, or do different from, what is  already available?

  How many
>K3/K2 owners are even in the market for  an amp?

     How many K3 owners could have answered this question for the K3 prior
to its introduction?
01:35:00

Re: Elecraft Amps

Paul - WW2PT
Since we're dreaming, how about a base model kit (500W) with the
option to add up to two additional 500W PA modules via a power
combiner circuit. This would allow people to configure it to their
needs and/or budget and it would meet Phil's "something new"
requirement. Optional: auto-tuner, optional interface (remote band
switching, antenna management, SO2R operation, RS232 control, etc.).
Offer a fully assembled version for those with Instant Gratification
Syndrome, and everyone's happy!

An added benefit would be fault tolerance; the amp could continue to
operate at reduced power in the event of failure of an individual PA
module -- just pop out the damaged module and repair/replace it.

de WW2PT

Re: Elecraft Amps

srife
        Doesn't have to be legal limit. Seems everyone is expressing
something in the less than 1000 watt category.
What ever Elecraft comes out with in this venue is going to be acceptable
price wise because of their superior marketing skill. The KPA-800 with all
the bells and whistles was priced at around 3500 if memory serves me
correctly. I'd pay that for a full featured 800 watt out amp.

        I think the modular approach is a better idea. Get the basic amp and
add full control & a tuner, etc,  as you can afford it.

Stan Rife
W5EWA

Re: Elecraft Amps

srife
        Read the previous posts from a year and a half ago. The KPA-1500 was
priced at around 4500 bucks.

Stan Rife
W5EWA

I have no doubt that a full featured 1.5KW output SS amp with tuner yada
yada
would be in the 10,000 or over category.
And I am sure there is a limited market for that,  but look at how many
Ameritron
amps are sold,  the SS series,  I have replaced finals in many of the ALS
series amps.  there is nothing special or exotic about those amps,
making a kit
that used the same type finals,  was truly breakin capable, had proper
cooling,
and in a same size matching cabinet as the K3 would not be difficult at
all.
I do not see any problem for any one who can assemble a K2 to build an amp
kit,  it would be much easier.  And sales would be 10 times more than a 1.5
KW amp at the higher price.  Cover 160 to 6 meters.
I would be interested in one just for a driver for my homebrew amps.  the K3
at 100 watts in insufficient,  so I use an Alpha 99 with the K3,  and it
works
QSK etc fine.  Close match to the K3 also, black with white labels.

My only suggestion to Elecraft is to not leak any new products until
they are
very close to release,  outsiders and some insiders are getting the opinion
that if a product is "announced" you can figure a year to 1 1/2 years
before you can
actually own it.  Not a real good reputation.  May work for a product
like the
K3 one time, but repeats on "delays" will kill the goose that laid the
golden
egg.
Merv KH7C

> As Paul said "Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state
> amplifier kit
> that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
> everything!). "
>
> Amen! A kit with soldering would keep the cost down and give us K3 folks
> something to make smoke with!
>
> My vote is yes for small solid state kit.
>
> Dan
>
> -----
>
> Dan AB3EN

01:35:00