Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Bill Turner-2
I'm a fairly new 2000A owner and trying to get the K3 and 2000A to
communicate properly.

I am using two different logging programs, DXLab and N1MM Logger.

I have the CAT cable with Y-adaptor plugged into the K3. I also am
running a P3 panadaptor, but I don't think that is involved in this
issue. I could be wrong.

When I am NOT running either program, the K3 and the 2000A communicate
properly, i.e. changing bands on the K3 makes the 2000A change bands
normally.

Likewise, when the 2000A is turned off, the K3 communicates to both
programs correctly, i.e. either program reads the VFO frequency
normally.

The problem happens when I have the K3, the 2000A and either logging
program running all at the same time. Communication is lost and I get
error messages saying "the radio on com1 is not responding" and the
like.

I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
Put the Y cable between the P3 and the computer etc, not on the K3 side. . The
K3 to P3 serial cable should not have any other devices sharing it.
73,
Eric
elecraft.com

On 9/11/2014 4:28 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

> I'm a fairly new 2000A owner and trying to get the K3 and 2000A to
> communicate properly.
>
> I am using two different logging programs, DXLab and N1MM Logger.
>
> I have the CAT cable with Y-adaptor plugged into the K3. I also am
> running a P3 panadaptor, but I don't think that is involved in this
> issue. I could be wrong.
>
> When I am NOT running either program, the K3 and the 2000A communicate
> properly, i.e. changing bands on the K3 makes the 2000A change bands
> normally.
>
> Likewise, when the 2000A is turned off, the K3 communicates to both
> programs correctly, i.e. either program reads the VFO frequency
> normally.
>
> The problem happens when I have the K3, the 2000A and either logging
> program running all at the same time. Communication is lost and I get
> error messages saying "the radio on com1 is not responding" and the
> like.
>
> I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Bill Turner-2

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:46:03 -0700, you wrote:

>Put the Y cable between the P3 and the computer etc, not on the K3 side. . The
>K3 to P3 serial cable should not have any other devices sharing it.
>73,
>Eric
>elecraft.com

REPLY:

Just to be clear:  I have the "root" of the Y adaptor plugged into the
P3 jack which is labeled PC. One arm of the Y goes to the computer and
the other arm goes to the K3.

Is that correct?

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Alan Bloom
Nope.  The K3's RS232 connector must connect directly to the P3's "XCVR"
RS232 connector.  The Y connector goes between the PC and the P3's "PC"
connector.

Alan N1AL

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 19:24:50 -0700, you wrote:

>Nope.  The K3's RS232 connector must connect directly to the P3's "XCVR"
>RS232 connector.  The Y connector goes between the PC and the P3's "PC"
>connector.
>
>Alan N1AL

REPLY:

My mistake. I have it connected right, I just said it wrong.

The root of the Y adaptor goes to the P3 jack labeled PC. One arm of
the Y adaptor goes to the computer and the other goes to the ACOM.

That's what I meant to say. Sorry.

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

turnbull
Bill,
     I too use the Acom 2000A and do not know why you bother with so many
control cables.    The Acom switches bands in a dit or syllable and tunes in
three seconds automatically.    I must be missing something but why do you
need to go to so much trouble with control cables for the amplifier.    It
is automatic.   Okay if you are changing antennas that may be another story
and I am spoiled by a SteppIR with 40 through 6 capabilities.   If I need
the lower bands then I manually switch antenna.

      Your amplifier is a real work horse, it is reliable, efficient and
automatic.

       The control cables are needed for the SteppIR controller and
Micro-Keyer II here but not for the amplifier.

             73 Doug EI2CN

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:46:23 -0000, you wrote:

>Bill,
>     I too use the Acom 2000A and do not know why you bother with so many
>control cables.    The Acom switches bands in a dit or syllable and tunes in
>three seconds automatically.    I must be missing something but why do you
>need to go to so much trouble with control cables for the amplifier.

REPLY:

The reason I bother is I do not like transmitting even a single dit
into an amplifier on the wrong band at full power. Yes, the ACOM is a
tough amplifier but I am pretty conservative about such things. When I
do send a dit to change bands, I reduce the drive power way down. If I
can get the automatic band change to work, I won't have to reduce
power or send a dit. It will already be pre-tuned.

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Nick - VE3EY
Hi Bill

Did you build your cable according to schematic on page 34 (figure 7-6)
from Acom 2000 manual?   This wiring diagram is for K3 CAT with ACOM 2000A
only.   I believe this diagram assumes there is no computer connected in.
It only describes the case in which there is a connection between the K3
and Acom 2000A.

If you look at the page 32 (Fig 7-2) which describes the "generic" wiring
between RS232 PC port and Transceiver with ACOM connected via "Y" cable,
you will notice that they only use the RXD wiring and the ground.   TXD
line has been omitted.

RCU DB15 Pin 1 <------->   RS-232 Pin 2
RCU DB15 Pin 5 <------->   RS-232 Pin 5 (Ground)

I initially built the CAT cable using all 3 wires (RXD, TXD + Ground) and
as soon as ACOM would come online,   K3 would not work properly with my
LP-PAN and LP Bridge.   I don't use P3.

I snipped the TXD line after reading your email and now everything appears
to be working fine.  K3+ACOM2000A+PC are tracking frequency smoothly like
usual.

If I now just type the frequency in Win-Test or change the band on my K3,
ACOM nicely parks itself on a whichever band segment it detects by sniffing
the comm traffic between K3 and the PC.

73, Nick
ve3ey

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Bill Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:46:23 -0000, you wrote:
>
> >Bill,
> >     I too use the Acom 2000A and do not know why you bother with so many
> >control cables.    The Acom switches bands in a dit or syllable and tunes
> in
> >three seconds automatically.    I must be missing something but why do you
> >need to go to so much trouble with control cables for the amplifier.
>
> REPLY:
>
> The reason I bother is I do not like transmitting even a single dit
> into an amplifier on the wrong band at full power. Yes, the ACOM is a
> tough amplifier but I am pretty conservative about such things. When I
> do send a dit to change bands, I reduce the drive power way down. If I
> can get the automatic band change to work, I won't have to reduce
> power or send a dit. It will already be pre-tuned.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Bill Turner-2
My cable is store bought, and it is the kind in figure 7.2, i.e.
without the TXD wire. I ohmed it to be sure. Actually, it is a cable
with a separate Y adaptor, but the effective wiring is the same as
figure 7.2.

And here's the kicker:  This morning when I fired up everything to do
some more troubleshooting, everything worked just as it should.  It
seems I have an intermittent connection somewhere, most likely in a
cable, connector or the Y adaptor. It's been working fine all day.

I think I will build a new cable and Y adaptor to eliminate that as a
possible cause and see if the problem stays gone.

I did notice one thing that seems odd. When I do not have a logging
program running and I do a manual band change on the K3, the ACOM does
not follow the change. I thought it should. Does your's work that way?
As soon as I start a logging program, everything returns to normal.

Don't you just love these intermittent gremlins?   :-)

73, Bill W6WRT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:47:48 -0400, Nick wrote:

>Hi Bill
>
>Did you build your cable according to schematic on page 34 (figure 7-6)
>from Acom 2000 manual?   This wiring diagram is for K3 CAT with ACOM 2000A
>only.   I believe this diagram assumes there is no computer connected in.
>It only describes the case in which there is a connection between the K3
>and Acom 2000A.
>
>If you look at the page 32 (Fig 7-2) which describes the "generic" wiring
>between RS232 PC port and Transceiver with ACOM connected via "Y" cable,
>you will notice that they only use the RXD wiring and the ground.   TXD
>line has been omitted.
>
>RCU DB15 Pin 1 <------->   RS-232 Pin 2
>RCU DB15 Pin 5 <------->   RS-232 Pin 5 (Ground)
>
>I initially built the CAT cable using all 3 wires (RXD, TXD + Ground) and
>as soon as ACOM would come online,   K3 would not work properly with my
>LP-PAN and LP Bridge.   I don't use P3.
>
>I snipped the TXD line after reading your email and now everything appears
>to be working fine.  K3+ACOM2000A+PC are tracking frequency smoothly like
>usual.
>
>If I now just type the frequency in Win-Test or change the band on my K3,
>ACOM nicely parks itself on a whichever band segment it detects by sniffing
>the comm traffic between K3 and the PC.
>
>73, Nick
>ve3ey
>

>On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Bill Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:46:23 -0000, you wrote:
>>
>> >Bill,
>> >     I too use the Acom 2000A and do not know why you bother with so many
>> >control cables.    The Acom switches bands in a dit or syllable and tunes
>> in
>> >three seconds automatically.    I must be missing something but why do you
>> >need to go to so much trouble with control cables for the amplifier.
>>
>> REPLY:
>>
>> The reason I bother is I do not like transmitting even a single dit
>> into an amplifier on the wrong band at full power. Yes, the ACOM is a
>> tough amplifier but I am pretty conservative about such things. When I
>> do send a dit to change bands, I reduce the drive power way down. If I
>> can get the automatic band change to work, I won't have to reduce
>> power or send a dit. It will already be pre-tuned.
>>
>> 73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Igor Sokolov-2
I do not have ACOM2000 but I use the same arrangement with Expert 1-KFA and
K3. Logging program polls the radio and the amp only "listens" for K3
response to learn the operating freq. When you terminate logger there is no
polling anymore. Therefore the system does not work as expected. This is
normal.

73, Igor UA9CDC
> [...]
>>sniffing
>>the comm traffic between K3 and the PC.
>>
>>73, Nick
>>ve3ey
>>

>>On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Bill Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)

>>> in
>>>
>>> REPLY:
>>>
>>> The reason I bother is I do not like transmitting even a single dit
>>> into an amplifier on the wrong band at full power. Yes, the ACOM is a
>>> tough amplifier but I am pretty conservative about such things. When I
>>> do send a dit to change bands, I reduce the drive power way down. If I
>>> can get the automatic band change to work, I won't have to reduce
>>> power or send a dit. It will already be pre-tuned.
>>>
>>> 73, Bill W6WRT

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Val-12
Bill,

When K3 AUTOINF menu entry is set to NOR, then the frequency is
reported only when polled.
Only the loger polls as the Y cable does not allow the ACOM to do it.
That is why K3 does not report the frequency when the logger is not
running.

The issue can be solved in two ways:

1. Set AUTOINF to AUTO 1. Then K3 will broadcast its frequency without
polling. Hope that your loger will not mind it.

2. If the logging program does not like no polling reports, then you
may add a SPDT switch to the Y cable. Than you may manually switchover
the TXD wire either to the PC when the logger is running, or to the
ACOM when no PC application polls.

73, Val LZ1VB

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:36:40 +0600, UA9CDC wrote:

>I do not have ACOM2000 but I use the same arrangement with Expert 1-KFA and
>K3. Logging program polls the radio and the amp only "listens" for K3
>response to learn the operating freq. When you terminate logger there is no
>polling anymore. Therefore the system does not work as expected. This is
>normal.

REPLY:

So the K3 does not send data unless polled? OK, now things make more
sense. This explains why, if you're not using the Y connector to your
computer, your data cable must have the TXD wire so the ACOM can poll
the K3.

Is my assumption correct? The ACOM does poll the K3 in that case?

Things are finally coming clear. I wish this had been explained in the
ACOM manual.

Many thanks to all who replied on this issue.

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Dick Dievendorff-4
I don't have an ACOM, SteppIR-controller, or Expert 1-KFA.

I'd suggest that you don't want two TxD connections on an RS-232 "Y"
connector.  You need one from the PC to the K3. I don't think you want TxD
from K3 to ACOM.

RS-232 is not a protocol that permits two senders. It's ok to "sniff" the Rx
line, multiple receivers.

I doubt that the ACOM (or the Expert) polls the K3.  I bet they are passive
listeners.

You need frequency messages to be presented to the ACOM on QSY.

The "normal" technique for this is to turn on K3 Auto Info (a K3 menu
configuration selection). Then as you QSY (or actually, your QSY stops), the
K3 sends a message with the new frequency.

If you are running a logging program, it probably polls the K3 for frequency
often, and the ACOM can "sniff" those responses, and then the K3 Auto Info
isn't as necessary.

Some loggers don't mind if you leave Auto Info on. It's just extra
information on change and the logger can either ignore or exploit those
unsolicited messages.

However it's possible that some loggers might not deal well with unexpected
messages that can occur in "auto info" mode. Then K3 Auto Info has to be
turned off (or the logging program needs to learn to deal with unexpected
auto info messages).

I think you're close, but I wouldn't connect two senders...

73 de Dick, K6KR

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:36:40 +0600, UA9CDC wrote:

>I do not have ACOM2000 but I use the same arrangement with Expert 1-KFA
>and K3. Logging program polls the radio and the amp only "listens" for
>K3 response to learn the operating freq. When you terminate logger
>there is no polling anymore. Therefore the system does not work as
>expected. This is normal.

REPLY:

So the K3 does not send data unless polled? OK, now things make more sense.
This explains why, if you're not using the Y connector to your computer,
your data cable must have the TXD wire so the ACOM can poll the K3.

Is my assumption correct? The ACOM does poll the K3 in that case?

Things are finally coming clear. I wish this had been explained in the ACOM
manual.

Many thanks to all who replied on this issue.

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Jim Brown-10
On Sat,9/13/2014 7:33 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

> RS-232 is not a protocol that permits two senders. It's ok to "sniff" the Rx
> line, multiple receivers.
>
> I doubt that the ACOM (or the Expert) polls the K3.  I bet they are passive
> listeners.
>
> You need frequency messages to be presented to the ACOM on QSY.
>
> The "normal" technique for this is to turn on K3 Auto Info (a K3 menu
> configuration selection). Then as you QSY (or actually, your QSY stops), the
> K3 sends a message with the new frequency.
>
> If you are running a logging program, it probably polls the K3 for frequency
> often, and the ACOM can "sniff" those responses, and then the K3 Auto Info
> isn't as necessary.

Good advice. I have no experience with these amps, but I do have a
SteppIR controller that functions as Dick describes. I used it with
Commander, the rig control program that is part of the DXLog suite, and
with N1MM. I found that I had to use the computer to set the K3's
frequency.

I no longer use that connection, because I switch the SteppIR between
two radios for SO2R.

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Nick - VE3EY
Hi Dick and Val
Thanks for sharing this valuable info with the group.

Similar to Bill, W6WRT after I fixed my CAT cable to exclude TXD line my
entire setup started working but later on I realized it wasn't working
reliably. On some occasions,  amp would not detect the frequency change
until after I started spinning the VFO knob.  This was while I had the
Win-Test logging program running and polling my K3.  Autonfo on my K3 is
set to "nor".

On some bands the amp refused to follow the frequency.   For example, I
would switch the radio to 20 meters but the amp for some reason thought it
was still on 15.   If I turn the CAT off on the Acom's RCU unit and
transmit some RF, the amp would correctly switch to 20 and tune up.
Without changing anything else and while the K3 and Win-Test were still on
20m, if I turn the on the CAT on the RCU unit, the amp would jump back on
15m for some reason.

The whole thing started working reliably after I took LP Bridge out of the
picture.   In Win-Test if I define the radio on the real COM port the PC is
connected to the K3 and change the pooling from "Auto" to 300msec the amp
works well.   I changed the band numerous times and Acom followed without a
hitch.

In my case LP-Bridge seems to be confusing the amp but I can't tell why.
LP-Bridge does read everything correctly from the  K3 and Win-Test works
perfectly along with it.

73,  Nick
ve3ey

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I don't have an ACOM, SteppIR-controller, or Expert 1-KFA.
>
> I'd suggest that you don't want two TxD connections on an RS-232 "Y"
> connector.  You need one from the PC to the K3. I don't think you want TxD
> from K3 to ACOM.
>
> RS-232 is not a protocol that permits two senders. It's ok to "sniff" the
> Rx
> line, multiple receivers.
>
> I doubt that the ACOM (or the Expert) polls the K3.  I bet they are passive
> listeners.
>
> You need frequency messages to be presented to the ACOM on QSY.
>
> The "normal" technique for this is to turn on K3 Auto Info (a K3 menu
> configuration selection). Then as you QSY (or actually, your QSY stops),
> the
> K3 sends a message with the new frequency.
>
> If you are running a logging program, it probably polls the K3 for
> frequency
> often, and the ACOM can "sniff" those responses, and then the K3 Auto Info
> isn't as necessary.
>
> Some loggers don't mind if you leave Auto Info on. It's just extra
> information on change and the logger can either ignore or exploit those
> unsolicited messages.
>
> However it's possible that some loggers might not deal well with unexpected
> messages that can occur in "auto info" mode. Then K3 Auto Info has to be
> turned off (or the logging program needs to learn to deal with unexpected
> auto info messages).
>
> I think you're close, but I wouldn't connect two senders...
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> In my case LP-Bridge seems to be confusing the amp but I can't tell
> why. LP-Bridge does read everything correctly from the K3 and
> Win-Test works perfectly along with it.

LP-Bridge acts as a *proxy* - polling from Win-Test and other programs
is answered by LP-Bridge and *not passed on to the rig*.  Thus, any
hardware that relies on the answers to polling from the rig does not
see any response.  Because LP-Pan blocks the majority of polls to the
rig, the 2000, SteppIR and other similar hardware never gets a chance
to recover when they miss an update as they would with a logger that
polls for frequency and mode two or three times per second.

On 2014-09-13 12:59 PM, Nick - VE3EY wrote:

> [...]
>> configuration selection). Then as you QSY (or actually, your QSY stops),
>> the
>> K3 sends a message with the new frequency.
>>
>> If you are running a logging program, it probably polls the K3 for
>> frequency
>> often, and the ACOM can "sniff" those responses, and then the K3 Auto Info
>> isn't as necessary.
>>
>> Some loggers don't mind if you leave Auto Info on. It's just extra
>> information on change and the logger can either ignore or exploit those
>> unsolicited messages.
>>
>> However it's possible that some loggers might not deal well with unexpected
>> messages that can occur in "auto info" mode. Then K3 Auto Info has to be
>> turned off (or the logging program needs to learn to deal with unexpected
>> auto info messages).
>>
>> I think you're close, but I wouldn't connect two senders...

Mike Harris-9
See K3 Config > AUTOINF

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

> REPLY:
>
> So the K3 does not send data unless polled? OK, now things make more
> sense. This explains why, if you're not using the Y connector to your
> computer, your data cable must have the TXD wire so the ACOM can poll
> the K3.
>
> Is my assumption correct? The ACOM does poll the K3 in that case?
>
> Things are finally coming clear. I wish this had been explained in the
> ACOM manual.
>
> Many thanks to all who replied on this issue.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Igor Sokolov-2
> I doubt that the ACOM (or the Expert) polls the K3.  I bet they are
> passive
> listeners.
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Expert can poll K3(as well as almost any other radio) according to its
manual. Sure enough you then need both TXD and RXD connected. Therefore you
can probably use it without computer. Actually Expert also got RF sense with
freq counter. It compairs the info from CAT with that from the counter and
in case of difference  the counter info has preference. I do not use that
because I always use computer logging anyway.

73, Igor UA9CDC

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

N8LP
LP-Bridge blocks commands that it polls itself to eliminate redundancy.
Especially with the K3, over-poling creates other problems. Since
LP-Bridge defaults to poling for the most common commands, including VFO
A and B frequencies, 5 times a second, I don't see how the amp can miss
a response. The responses are being sent by the K3 5 times per second.
There is something else going on. As a workaround, Nick, have you tried
feeding the amp with one of the Output ports in LP-Bridge? These outputs
only send VFO data, and only for the transmit VFO. It is set to Kenwood
format and 4800 baud to be broadly compatible with amps, tuners and
SteppIR. It also adds hysteresis to eliminate unnecessary retuning of
SteppIR antennas near a segment edge.

Larry N8LP

On 9/14/2014 7:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:26:29 -0400
> From: "Joe Subich, W4TV"<[hidden email]>
> To: Nick - VE3EY<[hidden email]>, Dick Dievendorff
> <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Elecraft<[hidden email]>, ACOM group
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A
>

>> >In my case LP-Bridge seems to be confusing the amp but I can't tell
>> >why. LP-Bridge does read everything correctly from the K3 and
>> >Win-Test works perfectly along with it.
> LP-Bridge acts as a*proxy*  - polling from Win-Test and other programs
> is answered by LP-Bridge and*not passed on to the rig*.  Thus, any
> hardware that relies on the answers to polling from the rig does not
> see any response.  Because LP-Pan blocks the majority of polls to the
> rig, the 2000, SteppIR and other similar hardware never gets a chance
> to recover when they miss an update as they would with a logger that
> polls for frequency and mode two or three times per second.
>
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2014-09-13 12:59 PM, Nick - VE3EY wrote:
>> >Hi Dick and Val
>> >Thanks for sharing this valuable info with the group.
>> >
>> >Similar to Bill, W6WRT after I fixed my CAT cable to exclude TXD line my
>> >entire setup started working but later on I realized it wasn't working
>> >reliably. On some occasions,  amp would not detect the frequency change
>> >until after I started spinning the VFO knob.  This was while I had the
>> >Win-Test logging program running and polling my K3.  Autonfo on my K3 is
>> >set to "nor".
>> >
>> >On some bands the amp refused to follow the frequency.   For example, I
>> >would switch the radio to 20 meters but the amp for some reason thought it
>> >was still on 15.   If I turn the CAT off on the Acom's RCU unit and
>> >transmit some RF, the amp would correctly switch to 20 and tune up.
>> >Without changing anything else and while the K3 and Win-Test were still on
>> >20m, if I turn the on the CAT on the RCU unit, the amp would jump back on
>> >15m for some reason.
>> >
>> >The whole thing started working reliably after I took LP Bridge out of the
>> >picture.   In Win-Test if I define the radio on the real COM port the PC is
>> >connected to the K3 and change the pooling from "Auto" to 300msec the amp
>> >works well.   I changed the band numerous times and Acom followed without a
>> >hitch.
>> >
>> >In my case LP-Bridge seems to be confusing the amp but I can't tell why.
>> >LP-Bridge does read everything correctly from the  K3 and Win-Test works
>> >perfectly along with it.
>> >
>> >73,  Nick
>> >ve3ey

Re: [acom-list] Re: Elecraft K3 and ACOM 2000A

Dick Dievendorff-4
That's surprising, but that's OK as long as you don't try to connect two
RS-232 transmitters. RS-232 isn't designed for multiple transmitters trying
to hold TxD at + or - 12V (or somewhere near there).

So if you depend on that amp polling, you wouldn't want to connect a
computer also.

73, Dick, K6KR