Elecraft KX3: Dual Watch or Split - newbie Dave needs help!

Elecraft KX3: Dual Watch or Split - newbie Dave needs help!

Esquer Dave
Hello folks,
Newbie Dave, K6WDE/KH6 with my Elecraft KX3.

Question: Dual Watch versus Split Mode, which is best? Is is personal preference? Yes, I did read the Elecraft Operating Note - Working a Pile-Up using the Dual Watch feature on the KX3 article. I am still confused though.

As I understand it, for:
SPLIT
Split has a wider range of frequencies to utilize beyond the +/- 15kHz limitation of Dual Watch.
VFO A (DX station) on the left and VFO B (calling station, me) on the right headphone.

DUAL WATCH
VFO A (DX station) on the right and VFO B (me) on the left headphone.
Easier to tune up and down with the big tuning knob as I try to catch the DX station (instead of the little tuning knob).

I must be missing something. I’ve used Split quite successfully and tried Dual Watch but they just seem to be the reverse of each other. When running a KX3, I need all the help when attempting to break through the pileups (especially here on the island)!

Aloha,

More static, more of the time …

Dave Esquer, K6WDE
[hidden email]
http://www.qrz.com/db/K6WDE

Re: Elecraft KX3: Dual Watch or Split - newbie Dave needs help!

Jim Bennett
Hi Dave -

When I'm trying to get a DX station that is working split or during the QRP Fox hunts, I use Dual Watch and Split together. Before engaging, I tune in the "target" station to suit my hearing pitch preference, then I press A-->B twice to get both VFO's equal. Next I hit Split and then Dual Watch. Using the small tuning knob, I tune VFO-B up to a point where I want to transmit - either on the frequency of the guy currently being worked, or into a "hole" where there are few strong signals present. I can hear the DX / Fox station in my left headphone and the "pack" in the right ear. I also use NaP3 as a visual display to actually "see" where the pack is operating - helps a lot!

Jim / W6JHB

On   Saturday, Mar 22, 2014, at  Saturday, 11:02 AM, Esquer Dave wrote:

> Hello folks,
> Newbie Dave, K6WDE/KH6 with my Elecraft KX3.
>
> Question: Dual Watch versus Split Mode, which is best? Is is personal preference? Yes, I did read the Elecraft Operating Note - Working a Pile-Up using the Dual Watch feature on the KX3 article. I am still confused though.
>
> As I understand it, for:
> SPLIT
> Split has a wider range of frequencies to utilize beyond the +/- 15kHz limitation of Dual Watch.
> VFO A (DX station) on the left and VFO B (calling station, me) on the right headphone.
>
> DUAL WATCH
> VFO A (DX station) on the right and VFO B (me) on the left headphone.
> Easier to tune up and down with the big tuning knob as I try to catch the DX station (instead of the little tuning knob).
>
> I must be missing something. I’ve used Split quite successfully and tried Dual Watch but they just seem to be the reverse of each other. When running a KX3, I need all the help when attempting to break through the pileups (especially here on the island)!
>
> Aloha,
>
> More static, more of the time …
>
> Dave Esquer, K6WDE
> [hidden email]
> http://www.qrz.com/db/K6WDE

Re: Elecraft KX3: Dual Watch or Split - newbie Dave needs help!

Dave,

I don't know how you are hearing both VFO frequencies at the same time
with only SPLIT engaged (unless you have Dual Watch turned on at the
same time).

With split (and not Dual Watch), you have VFO A in both ears.  If you
use the REV button, you can hear on the VFO B frequency (again in both
ears).  You do not hear both at once.  You can swap the VFOs with the
A/B button.
Without SPLIT, transmit will be on VFO A, but with SPLIT turned on,
transmit will be on VFO B - observe the direction the arrow is pointing
on the display to see which VFO will be used for transmit.

If you turn on Dual Watch, you will hear both VFOs as long as they are
not separated by more than +/- 15 kHz.  You may or may not want to use
SPLIT in conjunction with Dual Watch - usually you would want to use
SPLIT, but not necessarily - say you want to use VFO B to scour around
the band area while carrying on a non-split QSO on the VFO A frequency.