Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Elecraft mailing list
"- custom-built, high-quality 4-ohm oval speaker with outstanding passband characteristics"I have the honor of knowing the speaker designer and his reputation in the audio community. He put a lot of talent, love and care into that design. I'm putting it on my Christmas list!73 Don NA6Z

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4" ovals
in a nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep.  They stand the
same height as the K3S and are matte  black.  With the 2 channel
features  and audio of the radio they sure sound nice. New, $49.95 for
the pair.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163

On 9/12/2015 7:02 PM, Don Putnick via Elecraft wrote:

> "- custom-built, high-quality 4-ohm oval speaker with outstanding passband characteristics"I have the honor of knowing the speaker designer and his reputation in the audio community. He put a lot of talent, love and care into that design. I'm putting it on my Christmas list!73 Don NA6Z

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

W1KSZ
Would it be possible to buy just the enclosure ?
It is said the P3 and the SP3 are the same size.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4" ovals in a
nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep.  They stand the same height
as the K3S and are matte  black.  With the 2 channel features  and audio of
the radio they sure sound nice. New, $49.95 for the pair.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163

On 9/12/2015 7:02 PM, Don Putnick via Elecraft wrote:

> "- custom-built, high-quality 4-ohm oval speaker with outstanding
> passband characteristics"I have the honor of knowing the speaker
> designer and his reputation in the audio community. He put a lot of
> talent, love and care into that design. I'm putting it on my Christmas
> list!73 Don NA6Z

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.

On Sep 12, 2015, at 5:28 PM, "Richard W. Solomon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to buy just the enclosure ?
> It is said the P3 and the SP3 are the same size.
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

MarcV
You might consider it.  I'd love to hide my LiFePO4 pack and the PowerWerx power supply inside  one.  My PowerWerx V/A display just died anyway, no reason to have it visible anymore.
--
Marc  W8SDG

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 8:33 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
>> On Sep 12, 2015, at 5:28 PM, "Richard W. Solomon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to buy just the enclosure ?
>> It is said the P3 and the SP3 are the same size.
>>
>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Marc,

The SP3 is so solid you could park a truck on it. It might even be EMP-proof, but we don't have adequate test equipment to determine this.

So...good place to stick a battery or power supply. But if there's any risk of it getting too hot inside, add some ventilation holes and possibly a fan.

On Sep 12, 2015, at 5:40 PM, Marc Veeneman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might consider it.  I'd love to hide my LiFePO4 pack and the PowerWerx power supply inside  one.  My PowerWerx V/A display just died anyway, no reason to have it visible anymore.
> --
> Marc  W8SDG
>

>> On Sep 12, 2015, at 8:33 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
>>> On Sep 12, 2015, at 5:28 PM, "Richard W. Solomon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to buy just the enclosure ?
>>> It is said the P3 and the SP3 are the same size.
>>>
>>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

MarcV
Wayne, you know we need 2 of these things to handle pileups with split.

One for the battery (no heat) and one for the PS ($13 fan from Amazon).

I hope there's a "Buy one, get second for XX%" deal coming to the price list.

And for the KX3?  Same 2-speaker need, but in a smaller form factor.  Again, I hope we see a BOGO price structure -- as soon as the SPX3 is ready to ship.

:-)
--
Marc  W8SDG

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 8:44 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Marc,
>
> The SP3 is so solid you could park a truck on it. It might even be EMP-proof, but we don't have adequate test equipment to determine this.
>
> So...good place to stick a battery or power supply. But if there's any risk of it getting too hot inside, add some ventilation holes and possibly a fan.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

>> On Sep 12, 2015, at 5:40 PM, Marc Veeneman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You might consider it.  I'd love to hide my LiFePO4 pack and the PowerWerx power supply inside  one.  My PowerWerx V/A display just died anyway, no reason to have it visible anymore.
>> --
>> Marc  W8SDG
>>

>>> On Sep 12, 2015, at 8:33 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Wouldn't putting something inside the enclosure change the acoustic
properties?   I'd seem to think so.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163

On 9/12/2015 7:44 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Marc,
>
> The SP3 is so solid you could park a truck on it. It might even be EMP-proof, but we don't have adequate test equipment to determine this.
>
> So...good place to stick a battery or power supply. But if there's any risk of it getting too hot inside, add some ventilation holes and possibly a fan.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 5:40 PM, Marc Veeneman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You might consider it.  I'd love to hide my LiFePO4 pack and the PowerWerx power supply inside  one.  My PowerWerx V/A display just died anyway, no reason to have it visible anymore.
>> --
>> Marc  W8SDG
>>

>>> On Sep 12, 2015, at 8:33 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Wes (N7WS)
I'd love to have an (unpunched) KAT500 enclosure. I have some misc stuff that
could mount in one and it would get the K3 to the same height as the
KAT500/KPA500 combo.

Maybe a new product line?

On 9/12/2015 5:33 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Gary Gregory-2
Me too.
I suppose I could just get another kat500 for Ant. 2, but I don't have 6 antennas.

Anyone done this?

Gary

I'd love to have an (unpunched) KAT500 enclosure. I have some misc stuff that
could mount in one and it would get the K3 to the same height as the
KAT500/KPA500 combo.

Maybe a new product line?

On 9/12/2015 5:33 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> We don't have any current plan to offer the enclosure by itself.

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Wes (N7WS)
I've thought of making my own.  I can't bend sheet steel or even aluminum in
such narrow cross section but some 1 1/2" aluminum channel should work for the
front and back panels. Everything else is flat stock.

The sharp edges on the channel could be dressed by filing.  I'd probably try it
on a router table with a carbide round over bit for better precision.  I haven't
done this before but I've successfully cut aluminum plate on a table saw.  I
would assemble the plates using bar stock and screws like I did 30 years ago
when I was building amplifiers. For example:
http://sadxa.org/n7ws/Left%20Interior%20View.jpg   Sort of like Elecraft's "2D"
fasteners.

On 9/12/2015 7:46 PM, Gary wrote:

> Me too.
> I suppose I could just get another kat500 for Ant. 2, but I don't have 6 antennas.
>
> Anyone done this?
>
> Gary

Re: External Speaker details

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I've had many requests for the related information pertaining to the
external speakers which I use.    They are Realistic / Radio Shack Cat #
40-1313.    They can be used as powered, which we do for the music
system in the travel trailer, and I have a 2nd pair which I use as
passive here at the house.   There is a switch that allows for them to
be passive or use their internal 2 W amp.

  I've always found that 5 x 7 or 6 x 9 ovals sound good.   I recall
that EV used eight  6 x 9 ovals in several of their professional speaker
stacks.   These are just smaller ovals enclosed

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163

On 9/12/2015 7:15 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4"
> ovals in a nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep.  They stand
> the same height as the K3S and are matte  black.  With the 2 channel
> features  and audio of the radio they sure sound nice. New, $49.95 for
> the pair.
>
> 73
> Bob, K4TAX
> K3S s/n 10,163

Re: External Speaker details

Elecraft mailing list
I use a Radio Shack speaker/DSP combo.  They are a little hard to find but worth it.  It is a great addition for the KX3.

73
de
George, W6GF

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 13, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I've had many requests for the related information pertaining to the external speakers which I use.    They are Realistic / Radio Shack Cat # 40-1313.    They can be used as powered, which we do for the music system in the travel trailer, and I have a 2nd pair which I use as passive here at the house.   There is a switch that allows for them to  be passive or use their internal 2 W amp.
>
> I've always found that 5 x 7 or 6 x 9 ovals sound good.   I recall that EV used eight  6 x 9 ovals in several of their professional speaker stacks.   These are just smaller ovals enclosed
>

> 73
> Bob, K4TAX
> K3S s/n 10,163
>
>> On 9/12/2015 7:15 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
>> I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4" ovals in a nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep.  They stand the same height as the K3S and are matte  black.  With the 2 channel features  and audio of the radio they sure sound nice. New, $49.95 for the pair.
>>
>> 73
>> Bob, K4TAX
>> K3S s/n 10,163

Re: External Speaker details

EUGENE GABRY
I found a deal on Polk Audio T15 home theater book ends (passive) for $60.00
a while ago at Best Buy. Awesome sound and frequency response.

http://www.polkaudio.com/t15/d/1257C3666

73 Gene, N9TF

K3S 10057

I use a Radio Shack speaker/DSP combo.  They are a little hard to find but
worth it.  It is a great addition for the KX3.

73
de
George, W6GF

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 13, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've had many requests for the related information pertaining to the
external speakers which I use.    They are Realistic / Radio Shack Cat #
40-1313.    They can be used as powered, which we do for the music system in
the travel trailer, and I have a 2nd pair which I use as passive here at the
house.   There is a switch that allows for them to  be passive or use their
internal 2 W amp.

> I've always found that 5 x 7 or 6 x 9 ovals sound good.   I recall that EV
used eight  6 x 9 ovals in several of their professional speaker stacks.
These are just smaller ovals enclosed

> 73
> Bob, K4TAX
> K3S s/n 10,163
>
>> On 9/12/2015 7:15 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
>> I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4" ovals
in a nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep.  They stand the same
height as the K3S and are matte  black.  With the 2 channel features  and
audio of the radio they sure sound nice. New, $49.95 for the pair.

>> 73
>> Bob, K4TAX
>> K3S s/n 10,163

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
New products are always welcome.  I look forward to "hearing them" at
maybe one of the next ham fests.  I like the fact the SP3 uses an oval
speaker.  I've never figured out exactly why, but I find ovals typically
do sound better than rounds, but maybe it seems to be only in my findings.

As a comment, I prefer non-amplified speakers as this avoids the
potential RFI issues when used with the radio.  The model that I
mentioned and use has a slight tilt to the bottom which aligns the front
with the K3S with its front elevated by the stand.

I also find the audio system in the K3S to be really nice, specially the
2 channel effect using the AFX feature along with a stereo speaker
configuration.  This give a nice wide spatial effect to which I find
very pleasing.  Thanks Wayne and company for doing a fine job with the
K3S and its new features.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163

On 9/13/2015 2:09 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The K3 or K3S will work with a wide range of speakers, including the ones Bob (K4TAX) mentioned.
>
> Here are some possible reasons for using an SP3:
>
> - matches the K-Line perfectly, including a rugged fold-up tilt stand
> - full stereo A/B source selection, supporting dual-rig and dual-speaker configurations (or both)
> - plenty of room inside the cabinet for built-ins that might improve station integration
>
> Of course these factors don't apply to everyone. But the good news is that we will no longer have to say "maybe next year" every time someone asks us to add a matching speaker to the product line :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4" ovals in a nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep....

Re: External Speaker details

Bill-3
Behringer MS40 pair here - RF proof and best I have found to date. So
good that I have stopped looking/building. Stereo and  has inputs for a
couple of things - so I run the K3 and computer through them. Yes, they
are big and do not match the K-Line - but, the station is already
designed and no changes are planned. $150 now on Amazon. AFX is fun with
these speakers.

I rag chew - so rarely use headsets.

Bill W2BLC K3-Line

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

EUGENE GABRY

>I also find the audio system in the K3S to be really nice, specially the
>2 channel effect using the AFX feature along with a stereo speaker
configuration.  This give a nice wide spatial effect to which I find very
pleasing.  >Thanks Wayne and company for doing a fine job with the K3S and
its new features.

>73 Bob, K4TAX

For me, the AFX option was a real "WOW" experience. Over the years I have
been finding I have to turn my head back and forth listening to CW from a
single communications speaker, in order to find the right frequency peak in
my (failing) ears. With stereo configured speakers and AFX on, no more head
turning, and the sound is crisp. What a joy on SSB as well, especially
listening ESSB.

73 Gene N9TF

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

ae4pb
I believe when you consider the engineering reputation of Elecraft and
economies of scale for the manufacture of the SP3 several expectations
arise:
1. This is likely a very well-engineered component that's not easily
replaced by a similar sized speaker.
2. Performance of the speaker exceeds similarly priced speakers (and
definitely less expensive ones to a degree).
3. There is NOT likely a premium baked in to the price for the Elecraft name
due to the economies of scale (low quantity manufacture generally means
higher costs, thus higher price). Translation - the price isn't just for the
name.

At the end of the day consider the labor costs plus parts are likely fairly
high if they are US manufactured.

The US consumer is the sole reason most US manufacturing has gone overseas
(especially China). Buy cheap, get cheap.

So it comes down to a question of quality vs "good enough" vs "price"

I can only speak for myself in saying that it means something to have a
matching set rather than a hodgepodge.
I do compromise and use what I have to be able to get the job done UNTIL
I've saved enough for the next piece.

Personally the SP3 is last on my list because most if not all of my
operating will be with headphones.
The point here is that it's on my list :)

Jerry Moore
AE4PB, K3S SN# Arrives Wed.

> [...]

> Here are some possible reasons for using an SP3:
>
> - matches the K-Line perfectly, including a rugged fold-up tilt stand
> - full stereo A/B source selection, supporting dual-rig and
> dual-speaker configurations (or both)
> - plenty of room inside the cabinet for built-ins that might improve
> station integration
>
> Of course these factors don't apply to everyone. But the good news is
> that we will no longer have to say "maybe next year" every time
> someone asks us to add a matching speaker to the product line :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use a pair of "off the shelf" brand speakers which have 2" x 4" ovals
in a nice efficient solid enclosure that is 5" deep....

Re: Elecraft SP3 External Speaker details

I guess I shouldn't have assumed anything but I did..