Elecraft Support

James Rogers
Does anyone remember the good old days, back when the K2 was king, you
would call support and would be routed to an engineer or perhaps in the
case of the DSP2,  Lyle himself? I remember developing a real friendship
with a guy out west, who worked from his home. Eventually we shared
phone numbers. Or you would turn to the back of the K2 manual and there
find the complete schematics and chapter 9, "Circuit Details"?  Yeah, I
know, those were the days of thru-hole kits, solder smoke, and, "gee I
wish I had not done that", when you lifted a trace and had to break out
the blue wire to make things right again. Things were better
then....those really were the good old days...things were more personal
then.....

Jim, W4ATK

Licensed: General Class Sept 1953

K2, K-Line

Re: Elecraft Support

kevinr@coho.net
Sigh

     Kevin.  KD5ONS

On 1/7/2017 2:36 PM, Jim Rogers wrote:

> Does anyone remember the good old days, back when the K2 was king, you
> would call support and would be routed to an engineer or perhaps in
> the case of the DSP2,  Lyle himself? I remember developing a real
> friendship with a guy out west, who worked from his home. Eventually
> we shared phone numbers. Or you would turn to the back of the K2
> manual and there find the complete schematics and chapter 9, "Circuit
> Details"?  Yeah, I know, those were the days of thru-hole kits, solder
> smoke, and, "gee I wish I had not done that", when you lifted a trace
> and had to break out the blue wire to make things right again. Things
> were better then....those really were the good old days...things were
> more personal then.....
>
> Jim, W4ATK
>
> Licensed: General Class Sept 1953
>
> K2, K-Line

Re: Elecraft Support

Scott Manthe-2
I kind prefer things the way they are now: Elecraft as a thriving,
innovative company that offers state of the art, high performance
equipment that'll be around for a while. The past is gone, so there's no
use pining for it.

73,
Scott N9AA

On 1/7/17 5:36 PM, Jim Rogers wrote:

> Does anyone remember the good old days, back when the K2 was king, you
> would call support and would be routed to an engineer or perhaps in
> the case of the DSP2,  Lyle himself? I remember developing a real
> friendship with a guy out west, who worked from his home. Eventually
> we shared phone numbers. Or you would turn to the back of the K2
> manual and there find the complete schematics and chapter 9, "Circuit
> Details"?  Yeah, I know, those were the days of thru-hole kits, solder
> smoke, and, "gee I wish I had not done that", when you lifted a trace
> and had to break out the blue wire to make things right again. Things
> were better then....those really were the good old days...things were
> more personal then.....
>
> Jim, W4ATK
>
> Licensed: General Class Sept 1953
>
> K2, K-Line

Re: Elecraft Support

Jim and all,

Yes, I remember those "good old days" when the only Elecraft support
person was Gary (I was one of the K2 Field Testers).  Unfortunately as
the Elecraft product line grew, the number of support persons has grown
too - it now numbers 4 - David, Craig, Howard and Gary, and the Monday
morning support email load is large.
Problems that the support staff cannot handle are still passed along to
the engineers, but that may be in the background while the support
people handle the major communications back to the customer.

Yes, I am close to the Elecraft team (particularly the support and sales
folks), and do most of the repairs on the K2 and other "thru-hole" kits
in the Elecraft line.  So I am quite familiar with that part of their
operation as well as their problems.  Personal phone numbers are no
longer given out (protections for the employees except in extreme
cases), but you will still receive personalized customer support service
via email or they will often phone customers with problems.

I do serve as support for those "Thru-hole" products when Gary is not
available, and I can say for myself that (from me) you will receive
extended personal support when required - yes even help with a lifted
solder pad.
I am in North Carolina, and am in a different time zone than Elecraft,
but that makes little difference,  we still communicate with each other
and the customers when the need arises.

On 1/7/2017 5:36 PM, Jim Rogers wrote:

> Does anyone remember the good old days, back when the K2 was king, you
> would call support and would be routed to an engineer or perhaps in the
> case of the DSP2,  Lyle himself? I remember developing a real friendship
> with a guy out west, who worked from his home. Eventually we shared
> phone numbers. Or you would turn to the back of the K2 manual and there
> find the complete schematics and chapter 9, "Circuit Details"?  Yeah, I
> know, those were the days of thru-hole kits, solder smoke, and, "gee I
> wish I had not done that", when you lifted a trace and had to break out
> the blue wire to make things right again. Things were better
> then....those really were the good old days...things were more personal
> then.....
>
> Jim, W4ATK
>
> Licensed: General Class Sept 1953
>
> K2, K-Line

Re: Elecraft Support

Jack Brindle-2
Have things really changed?

I think you will find most, if not all, of us lurk on the list. Some are more active than others.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering
(i.e. Product developer)

> On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:36 PM, Jim Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone remember the good old days, back when the K2 was king, you would call support and would be routed to an engineer or perhaps in the case of the DSP2,  Lyle himself? I remember developing a real friendship with a guy out west, who worked from his home. Eventually we shared phone numbers. Or you would turn to the back of the K2 manual and there find the complete schematics and chapter 9, "Circuit Details"?  Yeah, I know, those were the days of thru-hole kits, solder smoke, and, "gee I wish I had not done that", when you lifted a trace and had to break out the blue wire to make things right again. Things were better then....those really were the good old days...things were more personal then.....
>
> Jim, W4ATK
>
> Licensed: General Class Sept 1953
>
> K2, K-Line

Re: Elecraft Support

Don Wilhelm
Yes, the engineers still lurk on the list.  I know because they correct
me when I post "nonsense" - Jack is one of them.  Yes, we are good
friends who respect each others expertise.

Don W3FPR

On 1/7/2017 6:37 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:
> Have things really changed?
>
> I think you will find most, if not all, of us lurk on the list. Some are more active than others.
>
> - Jack Brindle, W6FB
> Elecraft Engineering
> (i.e. Product developer)

Re: Elecraft Support

N1IX-2
The one time I needed support on my K3 I was called back within an hour.
The problem was fixed within minutes.

Dave N1IX

Re: Elecraft Support

Leroy
Maybe its just about the most fun I had as a QRP OP.
Bought a  K2 that did not exist yet.
Anxiously waited months for the bags of parts to build
what I was sure was going to be the ultimate QRP kit of all time.
You worked with Wayne directly if you had a problem.
Now that I own the complete K-line and every radio Elecraft
has made, and most of the board kits,
the K2 experience was the most fun of my QRP days.
Thanks Elecraft for that.

Leroy,  AB7CE ,    K2  SN 40

Re: Elecraft Support

Cameron Francey
I must have stepped back into the dark ages!  I just sold all my modern (big three makes) stuff and my shack now consists only of a K2/100 and a KAT100 and a K1 for when I feel like getting out of the shack.

I tried all sorts of modern high end feature rich rigs with DSP/NR and all sorts of other variants and I felt it was just distorting what I was listening to. Please don't take that last comment as an excuse to drag out the pros and cons of each... I totally get that to some ears DSP is great and to others its not something enjoyable to listen to.

Of the few little issues I've had with my K1 and K2 for things I wasn't able for figure out myself a quick email to support always returned a friendly reply with the help I needed, they genuinely do want to get you up and running when you have any issues.  I think that's really good after sales service!

On top of this, I like reading the emails on this group, mostly since they are K3 and computer related things they are not of great interest to me, but the ones that have a technical content (or K1/K2 realted) I find really interesting and I've either been reminded of something, or as in a lot of cases I've expanded my knowledge by reading the posts here.  What I really like is that so many people chime into a subject and you get a broad range of solutions or views.  Don't fall for the first answer that google happens to throw your way!

Anyway, just felt like sharing my recent thoughts and experiences on the subject.

73, Cameron AF7DK

________________________________

Re: Elecraft Support

Bill K9YEQ
I was an FT so not an issue to remember. Unit was #35.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Re: Elecraft Support

Bill K9YEQ
Don, nice understatement when it comes to your contribution.  You are one of
the kings of support and do so much for free, oftentimes without reward. I
would hope that users would know that... thus my post.
The amount of donated time to make the Elecraft products the best is
amazing.  I cannot even imagine how much time I have donated for the K2,
KX1, KX3, KAT500 and other products offered by Elecraft.  This is one of the
main reasons for their success; we are dedicated to the hobby and asking
nothing in return.  Wayne and Eric and their team know this.  Elecraft rules
when it comes to product, quality and performance. There are users new to
the product line that don't understand the  lineage and find faults base on
their limited knowledge an ability to compare products.  Wayne and Eric know
this and use the feedback for product improvement.  And this is that!  You
and others are such a benefit to the product but so much more to the hobby.
God bless you and the rest!
(On that note, working on getting into KX2 portable on all sorts of
antennas!!!  KX3 sits in the living room and using CW for all modes not to
disturb the wife.  Just need a high powered amp to get back onto low bands
in the pathetic sun cycle.)  I love this hobby, but need more FT to really
feel the love.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Yes, I remember those "good old days" when the only Elecraft support person
was Gary (I was one of the K2 Field Testers).  Unfortunately as the Elecraft
product line grew, the number of support persons has grown too - it now
numbers 4 - David, Craig, Howard and Gary, and the Monday morning support
email load is large.
Problems that the support staff cannot handle are still passed along to the
engineers, but that may be in the background while the support people handle
the major communications back to the customer.

Yes, I am close to the Elecraft team (particularly the support and sales
folks), and do most of the repairs on the K2 and other "thru-hole" kits in
the Elecraft line.  So I am quite familiar with that part of their operation
as well as their problems.  Personal phone numbers are no longer given out
(protections for the employees except in extreme cases), but you will still
receive personalized customer support service via email or they will often
phone customers with problems.

I do serve as support for those "Thru-hole" products when Gary is not
available, and I can say for myself that (from me) you will receive extended
personal support when required - yes even help with a lifted solder pad.
I am in North Carolina, and am in a different time zone than Elecraft, but
that makes little difference,  we still communicate with each other and the
customers when the need arises.

On 1/7/2017 5:36 PM, Jim Rogers wrote:

> Does anyone remember the good old days, back when the K2 was king, you
> would call support and would be routed to an engineer or perhaps in
> the case of the DSP2,  Lyle himself? I remember developing a real
> friendship with a guy out west, who worked from his home. Eventually
> we shared phone numbers. Or you would turn to the back of the K2
> manual and there find the complete schematics and chapter 9, "Circuit
> Details"?  Yeah, I know, those were the days of thru-hole kits, solder
> smoke, and, "gee I wish I had not done that", when you lifted a trace
> and had to break out the blue wire to make things right again. Things
> were better then....those really were the good old days...things were
> more personal then.....
>
> Jim, W4ATK
>
> Licensed: General Class Sept 1953
>
> K2, K-Line

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: Elecraft Support

Jessie Oberreuter-2

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017, Cameron Francey wrote:

> I must have stepped back into the dark ages!  I just sold all my modern
> (big three makes) stuff and my shack now consists only of a K2/100 and a
> KAT100 and a K1 for when I feel like getting out of the shack.

      Elecraft has had a profound impact on me.  It started with the K1. I
bought two kits, one for myself and one for my elmer (ki7el).  We had a
wonderful time building them, and then I was shocked when it ran cw
circles around my fully loaded 706m2!  That experience ultimately lead me
to a much deeper understanding of every aspect of radio engineering.
      Bolstered by my success with the K1, I built a K2, and then became a
kit junky.  When the K3 was announced, I pre-ordered without a second
thought.  Today, I also have a KX3.  The K1 remains my backpacking rig of
choice.  The KX3 travels with me to ki7el's place roughly once a month for
multi-op contesting -- the rig, the amp, and the pan-adaptor all fit in a
shoulder bag :).  James (ki7el) rocks a K2/100, so for multi-mode
contests, I try to bring my K2/10 and KXPA100 so we're both running K2s.
Finally, the K3 is the beloved center of my home station.
      Over the years, we've both become convinced that nothing beats an
Elecraft.  They aren't inexpensive, but you really do get what you pay for
in quality, survivability, serviceability, and support. -kb7psg

Elecraft Support

Don and all,
Yes, I have been contacting Gary for more than a decade for various elecraft support matters.  My first contact with him was for my K2# 14xx.
He and other support staff from Elecraft do give a personal touch and I can feel their enthusiasm.
One of my main reason to stay with Elecraft is their support services. Product support is important to me because I am outside USA.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
 收件人︰ [hidden email]
 傳送日期︰ 2017年01月8日 (週日) 7:15 AM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft Support

[...]

And I agree with you and Kevin Ron.  Sometimes with growth cracks occur
and you might just fall through one now and then. But you remain
faithful to the cause. There is one Elecraft radio that will never leave
my shack and that one is my faithful K2/10 with that wonderful receiver.
It has the battery supply and that great antenna tuner and every option
except the 100W amp.

Jim, W4ATK

K2, K-Line

On 1/7/2017 9:32 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Yes, it is clear Elecraft's primary customer base has shifted from builders
> to operators. By "operators" I mean Hams who want a rig they plug in, turn
> on, and use on the air or perhaps tinker with interfacing it with their
> computer, etc.
>
> I agree with Kevin.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Elecraft Support

Clay Autery
Not completely....  I chose Elecraft specifically because it's the only
major maker that allows me to participate in the process of building the
device.

Since assembling my K3s/P3, I continue to improve my knowledge and
skills in theory, design, and construction.

I've always gotten as much or more enjoyment out of the design and
construction phases of projects as from the operation thereof.

Building is not dead...  not at my house anyway.

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 1/7/2017 9:32 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> Yes, it is clear Elecraft's primary customer base has shifted from builders
> to operators. By "operators" I mean Hams who want a rig they plug in, turn
> on, and use on the air or perhaps tinker with interfacing it with their
> computer, etc.
>
> I agree with Kevin.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

KPA-500 fix

I thought I would share a fix to my KPA-500 with the group in case someone
else might have the same problem.
I have an old amp (two-digit serial number), and it has performed flawlessly
until yesterday. Suddenly the Operate-Standby button stopped working, and
then I noticed that other buttons worked, but did strange things.  The cure
was simply to take off the front panel and reseat the two ribbon connectors.
Actually I could only reseat the large connector at the panel end, and the
small one at the board it plugs into in the main body.  The other end of the
large connector is at the back of the amp and not accessible without
considerable disassembly.  And the panel end of the small connector was
stuck on so tight that I was afraid I would break something in removal.  But
reseating 2 of the 4 possible connectors did the trick.  Now it seems to be
back to normal.
  73, andy ae6y

Re: Elecraft Support

Much of the market has changed over the years with more and more coming into amateur radio who are moreor less operators and not builders (as I view it they are the ones missing out on 90% of the fun of amateur radio).But as I would tend to believe Elecraft wants to stay in business they need to evolve with the changing market.
I have built a few radios that were surface mount and they can be a little more of a challenge than through hole,but not nearly as hard as I initially thought they would be, just a but different in the thought process and work.I think Elecraft would be hard pressed to sell a lot of K3's that were 100% in Kit form (as in solder the boards).

The K2 was a great radio and I really enjoyed building it (and in a moment of foolishness I sold it).
Of the few radios I regret selling the ones I actually built are the ones I regret the most.

And I agree with you and Kevin Ron.  Sometimes with growth cracks occur
and you might just fall through one now and then. But you remain
faithful to the cause. There is one Elecraft radio that will never leave
my shack and that one is my faithful K2/10 with that wonderful receiver.
It has the battery supply and that great antenna tuner and every option
except the 100W amp.

Jim, W4ATK

K2, K-Line

On 1/7/2017 9:32 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Yes, it is clear Elecraft's primary customer base has shifted from builders
> to operators. By "operators" I mean Hams who want a rig they plug in, turn
> on, and use on the air or perhaps tinker with interfacing it with their
> computer, etc.

> I agree with Kevin.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Elecraft Support

kevinr@coho.net
I grew up with a stack of pristine ARC-5 receivers.  My dad had worked
on them during WWII and bought half a dozen when they were cheap in the
50s.  When I opened them up I found each part was placed just so; the
resistor color bands all lined up with the tolerance bands in lock
step.  I just could not bring myself to touch them with a soldering iron
even years after dad had passed away.  It would be like dismantling a
sculpture.

     73,

         Kevin.  KD5ONS

> Please everyone, we don’t need the “appliance operators vs builders” argument here. Those are flavors of amateur radio, not levels of goodness.
>
> I was an appliance operator in 1970, with a BC-348 receiver and an ARC-5 transmitter. My Elmer got those working for me.
>
> See you on the æther,
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
>> On Jan 8, 2017, at 1:51 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Much of the market has changed over the years with more and more coming into amateur radio who are moreor less operators and not builders (as I view it they are the ones missing out on 90% of the fun of amateur radio).But as I would tend to believe Elecraft wants to stay in business they need to evolve with the changing market.
>> I have built a few radios that were surface mount and they can be a little more of a challenge than through hole,but not nearly as hard as I initially thought they would be, just a but different in the thought process and work.I think Elecraft would be hard pressed to sell a lot of K3's that were 100% in Kit form (as in solder the boards).
>>
>> The K2 was a great radio and I really enjoyed building it (and in a moment of foolishness I sold it).
>> Of the few radios I regret selling the ones I actually built are the ones I regret the most.

Re: Elecraft Support

kstover
I don't either. I read every single post in this thread and I didn't
think anybody was trying to start a holy war.

To the guys who built all your gear from through hole parts...good for
ya. Those days are gone. There will be no more rigs like the K2 when the
parts are unobtainable. Better get you heads around SMT.

To all the guys who just want to operate...good for you. You are at
distinct disadvantage when it comes to how the radio works. Quality time
with ALL the manuals, including the assembly manuals, can help.

To all the guys who like and do both...I'm one of you. K2/100 #4684 was
my main rig for years. I will NEVER sell it.

On 1/8/2017 5:33 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> I've been following this thread noting how the focus of many Hams has changed. I see no "appliance operator vs builder" argument.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

---

Re: Elecraft Support

Alan Bloom
Hams have been complaining about appliance operators at least since I
got into ham radio in 1968 and probably a long time before that.  In the
early days of radio, you *had* to build your own station because
ready-built equipment was not available (unless you were one of the 1%
and could pay someone to do it for you).

In those days, you could build something close to state-or-the-art on
your kitchen table.  But building a spark transmitter or a 2-tube MOPA
rig was far simpler than building a state-of-the-art multi-band
synthesized radio would be today.

I think you can make a good argument that the little projects that hams
do build today - for example some Arduino gizmo with a dozen parts - is
of similar complexity to the all-homebrew stations of old.

Alan N1AL