Elecraft USB interface.

Gil G.
Hello,

I was going to buy a Signalink USB for my KX3, but after reading about the noise problems I am not so sure. I wish Elecraft would build a USB interface… It would undoubtedly be a hot seller and I am sure perform flawlessly… Anyone in support…?

Gil.
--
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

W4GRJ
Gil,
What kind of noise problem are you referring to? I use a SL USB with my K3 with no issue.
Jack
W4GRJ

On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:43, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I was going to buy a Signalink USB for my KX3, but after reading about the noise problems I am not so sure. I wish Elecraft would build a USB interface… It would undoubtedly be a hot seller and I am sure perform flawlessly… Anyone in support…?

Gil.
--
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Gil G.
This is what I found:

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v6.pdf

http://www.k7sfn.com/projects/signalink.html

Maybe not a big problem on HF, but I wonder..

I am not saying that the Signalink is bad. Apparently it is widely used and appreciated. I just want to get the best possible product to use with my KX3, being it a Signalink or something else. Suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, it would be cool if Elecraft made one..

Gil.
--

On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:46 AM, W4GRJ wrote:

> Gil,
> What kind of noise problem are you referring to? I use a SL USB with my K3 with no issue.
> Jack
> W4GRJ
>

> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:43, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was going to buy a Signalink USB for my KX3, but after reading about the noise problems I am not so sure. I wish Elecraft would build a USB interface… It would undoubtedly be a hot seller and I am sure perform flawlessly… Anyone in support…?
>
> Gil.
> --
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

W4JBB
Gil,

I have used a SLUSB for years.  I have used it on everything from PSK31
to Olivia to JT65 (HF).  It works.  Could it be better? Perhaps.  I am
familiar with the pages you link below.  In my opinion, the "juice is
not worth the squeeze."

All that said, this is amateur radio.  One of the things that set us
apart from other radio services is our "experimental nature."

In my opinion, if you're looking for the absolute lowest NF (i.e. weak
signal VHF and above), buy the SLUSB and make the mods or buy something
else.  If you're working HF, it just ain't gonna matter. When I can copy
JT-65HF at 22 dB below the NF, I'm good with that.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

On 2/10/13 11:06 AM, Gil G. wrote:

> This is what I found:
>
> http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html
>
> http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v6.pdf
>
> http://www.k7sfn.com/projects/signalink.html
>
> Maybe not a big problem on HF, but I wonder..
>
> I am not saying that the Signalink is bad. Apparently it is widely used and appreciated. I just want to get the best possible product to use with my KX3, being it a Signalink or something else. Suggestions are welcome.
>
> Anyway, it would be cool if Elecraft made one..
>
> Gil.
> --
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc
>
> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:46 AM, W4GRJ wrote:
>
>> Gil,
>> What kind of noise problem are you referring to? I use a SL USB with my K3 with no issue.
>> Jack
>> W4GRJ
>>

>> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:43, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was going to buy a Signalink USB for my KX3, but after reading about the noise problems I am not so sure. I wish Elecraft would build a USB interface… It would undoubtedly be a hot seller and I am sure perform flawlessly… Anyone in support…?
>>
>> Gil.
>> --
>> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

W4GRJ
Gil,
Interesting articles on the SL interface. All I know is, I use one all the time mainly on MARS MT-63 and Olivia with no issues. I also use a US Navigator which I think is the gold standard for digital interfaces   http://www.navigator-interface.com/

Jack
W4GRJ

On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:06, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is what I found:

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html

http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v6.pdf

http://www.k7sfn.com/projects/signalink.html

Maybe not a big problem on HF, but I wonder..

I am not saying that the Signalink is bad. Apparently it is widely used and appreciated. I just want to get the best possible product to use with my KX3, being it a Signalink or something else. Suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, it would be cool if Elecraft made one..

Gil.
--
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:46 AM, W4GRJ wrote:

> Gil,
> What kind of noise problem are you referring to? I use a SL USB with my K3 with no issue.
> Jack
> W4GRJ
>

> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:43, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was going to buy a Signalink USB for my KX3, but after reading about the noise problems I am not so sure. I wish Elecraft would build a USB interface… It would undoubtedly be a hot seller and I am sure perform flawlessly… Anyone in support…?
>
> Gil.
> --
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Buck - k4ia
Check the date on the article. He says they made mods to the later models.

Craig Buck

On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:06 PM, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is what I found:
>
> http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html
>
> http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v6.pdf
>
> http://www.k7sfn.com/projects/signalink.html
>
> Maybe not a big problem on HF, but I wonder..
>
> I am not saying that the Signalink is bad. Apparently it is widely used and appreciated. I just want to get the best possible product to use with my KX3, being it a Signalink or something else. Suggestions are welcome.
>
> Anyway, it would be cool if Elecraft made one..
>
> Gil.
> --
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc
>
> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:46 AM, W4GRJ wrote:
>
>> Gil,
>> What kind of noise problem are you referring to? I use a SL USB with my K3 with no issue.
>> Jack
>> W4GRJ
>>

>> On Feb 10, 2013, at 11:43, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was going to buy a Signalink USB for my KX3, but after reading about the noise problems I am not so sure. I wish Elecraft would build a USB interface… It would undoubtedly be a hot seller and I am sure perform flawlessly… Anyone in support…?
>>
>> Gil.
>> --
>> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Phil LaMarche-2
I have a like new Signal Link USB that has a cable for the K3 and USB cable. Just didn't use it. 60.00 shipped if anyone has a need.

Phil

Philip LaMarche

727-944-3226
727-510-5038 Cell
 www.w9dvm.com
WWW.FLAMGROUP.COM

K3 # 1605
KPA500 # 029
P3 #1480
KAT500  #50

 CCA 98-00827
CRA 1701
W9DVM

email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Jeff Herr
If you want your panadapter to sample and display a properly I would think
most folks would ASSUME some signal fidelity was in order.

Most don't care about freq response.....i guess they dont expect much when
they use hrd or dm780 or nap3 etc.

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Don Wilhelm-4
I believe the question was about using an interface box (with integral
soundcard) for digital modes.  That application does not need a great
soundcard or a wide frequency response.

Those wanting a panadapter display using the I and Q outputs from the
KX3, then a good quality soundcard is a real benefit, not only in
bandwidth, but in the noise floor of the soundcard.

For digital modes, the headphone output and the mic input are used, and
they are not wide range (limited to about 3 kHz).  The I/Q outputs have
a much greater range.

On 2/10/2013 4:18 PM, Jeff Herr wrote:
> If you want your panadapter to sample and display a properly I would think
> most folks would ASSUME some signal fidelity was in order.
>
> Most don't care about freq response.....i guess they dont expect much when
> they use hrd or dm780 or nap3 etc.

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

 > it just chafes me that we're fussing with the best A/D converter for
 > a signal that was originally digital.

Whoa!  *Any* signal you receive with an antenna is *analog*.  You may
convert it to digital for detection but it is an analog signal.  In
addition, any voice (phone) signal started out life as an analog
pressure wave impacting the diaphragm of a microphone which produced
an analog electrical voltage.

> My single disappointment in the KX3 is that it has a forest of cables instead of a single USB port. I understand that the available USB chips create a lot of RF noise, but dang, we've had USB for fifteen years, and it just chafes me that we're fussing with the best A/D converter for a signal that was originally digital. That D->A->D path just seems  wrong.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
>
> On Feb 10, 2013, at 9:49 AM, K4ia wrote:
>
>> Check the date on the article. He says they made mods to the later models.
>>
>> Craig Buck
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:06 PM, "Gil G." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> This is what I found:
>>>
>>> http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html
>>>
>>> http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/images/Wireless%20Article%20-%20Signalink%20USB%20Mods%20v6.pdf
>>>
>>> http://www.k7sfn.com/projects/signalink.html
>>>
>>> Maybe not a big problem on HF, but I wonder..
>>>
>>> I am not saying that the Signalink is bad. Apparently it is widely used and appreciated. I just want to get the best possible product to use with my KX3, being it a Signalink or something else. Suggestions are welcome.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it would be cool if Elecraft made one..
>>>
>>> Gil.
>>> --
>>> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Don Pomplun
Plus, I understand that the SL USB sound card is not stereo, and you
need that to use the I/Q interface from the KX3
Don  K2BIO

At 02:10 PM 2/10/2013, you wrote:

>I believe the question was about using an interface box (with
>integral soundcard) for digital modes.  That application does not
>need a great soundcard or a wide frequency response.
>
>Those wanting a panadapter display using the I and Q outputs from
>the KX3, then a good quality soundcard is a real benefit, not only
>in bandwidth, but in the noise floor of the soundcard.
>
>For digital modes, the headphone output and the mic input are used,
>and they are not wide range (limited to about 3 kHz).  The I/Q
>outputs have a much greater range.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
>
>On 2/10/2013 4:18 PM, Jeff Herr wrote:
>>If you want your panadapter to sample and display a properly I would think
>>most folks would ASSUME some signal fidelity was in order.
>>
>>Most don't care about freq response.....i guess they dont expect much when
>>they use hrd or dm780 or nap3 etc.

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Bill Frantz
On 2/10/13 at 1:47 PM, [hidden email] (Walter Underwood) wrote:

> That D->A->D path just seems  wrong.

Amen!

Bill, AE7JV

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Don Wilhelm-4
Would you want to support a driver for all OS platforms on all versions
in use by the ham community?
I think not.

On 2/10/2013 8:18 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 2/10/13 at 1:47 PM, [hidden email] (Walter Underwood) wrote:
>
>> That D->A->D path just seems  wrong.
> Amen!
>
> Bill, AE7JV

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

As an example of the difficulty of using a digital to digital path, I
recently tried to load the drivers for the USB 'dongle' that was
featured in a recent QST article - "Cheap and Easy SDR".  I found it not
so easy, and so far have been ultimately unsuccessful.

Give me a soundcard based panadapter any time.  If the soundcard is
supported with drivers for the OS I am using, the solution is like
'falling off a log'.

On 2/10/2013 8:18 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 2/10/13 at 1:47 PM, [hidden email] (Walter Underwood) wrote:
>
>> That D->A->D path just seems  wrong.
> Amen!
>
> Bill, AE7JV

Re: Elecraft USB interface.

Bill Frantz
I've thought about this kind of device for a while. Here is what
I think it should do:

* It should include a USB hub to it can appear as several devices
   to the computer.

* One device should emulate a USB sound card. This emulation
   will allow standard drivers to be used. (They are included in
   OS/X, I don't know about Windows or Linux.)

* Another device should emulate a USB <--> RS232 converter. If
   the interface uses the FTDI chipset, the same drivers will be
   required as are required for the KUSB product.

I think this architecture will allow the interface to be used
with Widows, Linux, and Macintosh with no more driver problem
than exist now. All the software that people currently use, HRD,
FLDIGI, cocoaModem, etc. should also work.

It will eliminate one USB connection to my powered USB hub. :-)

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

On 2/10/13 at 5:24 PM, [hidden email] (Don Wilhelm) wrote:

>Would you want to support a driver for all OS platforms on all versions in use by the ham community?
>I think not.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
>
>On 2/10/2013 8:18 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
>>On 2/10/13 at 1:47 PM, [hidden email] (Walter Underwood) wrote:
>>
>>>That D->A->D path just seems  wrong.
>>Amen!
>>
>>Bill, AE7JV

Re: Elecraft USB interface

Raymond Sills
HI Walter:

There's a thread going on over at the KX3 Yahoo group regarding using
the USB connection for the KX3 utility.  At least -some- single-cable
operation is possible with the KX3.  You can use the KX3 utility as a
terminal for RTTY (and presumably PSK31) operation.  There is a text
window that shows the data presented in the VFO B window.. and with a
much larger character count.  Also, there is an input text window,
plus 16 message memories.. which can work quite nicely for a contest
situation.  You still have to do logging and keep track of serial
numbers.

So, maybe there is a possibility on the horizon.  The USB cable is
converting the USB data into RS-232 format/mode to connect to the KX3.
Of course, this will not do a thing for passing I/Q data in digital
mode, which is what I suspect you would like.

Maybe that will show up in the K4 or KX4?  :)

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

On Feb 10, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:

> My single disappointment in the KX3 is that it has a forest of
> cables instead of a single USB port. I understand that the available
> USB chips create a lot of RF noise, but dang, we've had USB for
> fifteen years, and it just chafes me that we're fussing with the
> best A/D converter for a signal that was originally digital. That D-
> >A->D path just seems  wrong.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU

Re: Elecraft USB interface

Julian, G4ILO
Excuse my jumping in, but I'd like to add that KComm can also be used if you want single cable operation of the KX3. It supports keyboard CW, PSK31 and RTTY just like the KX3 utility, but has more of the features of a logging and digimode program.

Ray Sills-2 wrote
HI Walter:

There's a thread going on over at the KX3 Yahoo group regarding using
the USB connection for the KX3 utility.  At least -some- single-cable
operation is possible with the KX3.  You can use the KX3 utility as a
terminal for RTTY (and presumably PSK31) operation.  There is a text
window that shows the data presented in the VFO B window.. and with a
much larger character count.  Also, there is an input text window,
plus 16 message memories.. which can work quite nicely for a contest
situation.  You still have to do logging and keep track of serial
numbers.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: Elecraft USB interface

KB2NGK
Julian,

Your software looks promising for my portable / laptop solution for the KX3
- I'll give a try shortly.

Thanks
73-  Dave - KB2NGK

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Julian, G4ILO <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Excuse my jumping in, but I'd like to add that KComm can also be used if
> you
> want single cable operation of the KX3. It supports keyboard CW, PSK31 and
> RTTY just like the KX3 utility, but has more of the features of a logging
> and digimode program.
>

> Ray Sills-2 wrote
> > HI Walter:
> >
> > There's a thread going on over at the KX3 Yahoo group regarding using
> > the USB connection for the KX3 utility.  At least -some- single-cable
> > operation is possible with the KX3.  You can use the KX3 utility as a
> > terminal for RTTY (and presumably PSK31) operation.  There is a text
> > window that shows the data presented in the VFO B window.. and with a
> > much larger character count.  Also, there is an input text window,
> > plus 16 message memories.. which can work quite nicely for a contest
> > situation.  You still have to do logging and keep track of serial
> > numbers.
>

> -----
> Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
> * G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
> * KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
> * KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: Elecraft USB interface

WS5K
Julian,
Your timing was great!  I took a look at KComm and it was just what I needed for a portable operation I plan to make shortly with the KX3.  The 16 message capability that I can initiate with one mouse click (if needed) was the clincher.  This should then give me more time to type (hunt and peck) the call signs in the log!

Stan
WS5K