Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Byron Peebles
The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
are probably related to that.

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

ab2tc
Hi,

Are you suggesting that this may be the reason why a number of us (apparently all with Verizon FIOS) cannot reach the web site?

AB2TC - Knut
Byron Peebles wrote
The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
are probably related to that.

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

N1EU
I don't understand why folks would be using https unless they're
browser/proxy is forcing it somehow.  A secure connection is not
needed.  And the shopping is handled by cartserver.com

But yes, if for some reason they are trying to access elecraft.com via
https, they would have a problem because of that SSL cert.

Barry N1EU

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 12:02 AM, ab2tc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you suggesting that this may be the reason why a number of us
> (apparently all with Verizon FIOS) cannot reach the web site?
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>
> Byron Peebles wrote
>> The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
>> are probably related to that.

>> Post: mailto:
>
>> Elecraft@.qth

>> Message delivered to
>
>> lists+1215531472858-365791@.nabble

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Raymond Sills
That might account for things.  The site is still unreachable here in EPA.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Jan 1, 2016, at 7:02 PM, ab2tc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Are you suggesting that this may be the reason why a number of us
> (apparently all with Verizon FIOS) cannot reach the web site?
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>
> Byron Peebles wrote
>> The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
>> are probably related to that.

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

WB4SON
Non https connections are being dropped in the near future on many devices,
there will be no other way to connect.  Unfortunately for some small
websites, that will be a huge pain as the security certificate is a small
fortune annually ($150).

I'm sure elecraft will renew their certificate once someone points out it
has expired.

73, Bob, WB4SON

PS:  I had lost connectivity to elecraft.com on BOTH AT&T and FIOS, but it
did come back late this afternoon.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Ray Sills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That might account for things.  The site is still unreachable here in EPA.
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
> KX3 #211
>
> > On Jan 1, 2016, at 7:02 PM, ab2tc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are you suggesting that this may be the reason why a number of us
> > (apparently all with Verizon FIOS) cannot reach the web site?
> >
> > AB2TC - Knut
> >
> > Byron Peebles wrote
> >> The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
> >> are probably related to that.

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Security certificates should cost $150 or more because they should be
identity documents, properly vetted by a trusted third party.

There are at least two CAs that will issue domain-vetted certificates
for free, and at least two under $20.

73 -- Lynn

On 1/1/2016 7:18 PM, Bob wrote:
> Non https connections are being dropped in the near future on many devices,
> there will be no other way to connect.  Unfortunately for some small
> websites, that will be a huge pain as the security certificate is a small
> fortune annually ($150).

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

ha4zd
Interesting, never experienced any Elecraft line fallout. Neither
recently, nor earlier.

73, István, HA4ZD

On 1/2/2016 4:18 AM, Bob wrote:

> Non https connections are being dropped in the near future on many devices,
> there will be no other way to connect.  Unfortunately for some small
> websites, that will be a huge pain as the security certificate is a small
> fortune annually ($150).
>
> I'm sure elecraft will renew their certificate once someone points out it
> has expired.
>
> 73, Bob, WB4SON
>
> PS:  I had lost connectivity to elecraft.com on BOTH AT&T and FIOS, but it
> did come back late this afternoon.
>

> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Ray Sills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That might account for things.  The site is still unreachable here in EPA.
>>
>> 73 de Ray
>> K2ULR
>> KX3 #211
>>
>>> On Jan 1, 2016, at 7:02 PM, ab2tc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Are you suggesting that this may be the reason why a number of us
>>> (apparently all with Verizon FIOS) cannot reach the web site?
>>>
>>> AB2TC - Knut
>>>
>>> Byron Peebles wrote

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Oliver Dröse
http://www.elecraft.com is not using any certificates (just checked),
it's just plain http, not https (thus no need for certificates). It only
switches to https when you are going to pay an order like in "Check Out
Now". And even then it's not Elecraft anymore but cartserver.com which
is providing the service and has a valid certificate.

Otherwise I'd appreciate if you'd discuss issues with your internet
provider in the appropriate forums. Everybody worldwide can access the
Elecraft website fine just not a handful of Verizon FIOS customers. Now
go figure where the fault is ...

Thanks,
Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 02.01.2016 um 00:46 schrieb Byron Peebles:

> The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
> are probably related to that.

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

N1EU
Yes, it is not an issue of an expired certificate.  There IS no Elecraft
certificate, and when you try to force https, Elecraft's ISP host cruzio.com
provides a self-signed certificate on Elecraft's behalf and that is
generally interpreted as suspicious activity.  The "issued to" domain is
the ISP and should be elecraft.com and the "issued by" agency is the ISP
and needs to be a trusted issuing agency.

*This server could not prove that it is elecraft.com <http://elecraft.com>;
its security certificate is from host6.cruzio.com
<http://host6.cruzio.com>. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an
attacker intercepting your connection.*

Barry N1EU

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.elecraft.com is not using any certificates (just checked),
> it's just plain http, not https (thus no need for certificates). It only
> switches to https when you are going to pay an order like in "Check Out
> Now". And even then it's not Elecraft anymore but cartserver.com which is
> providing the service and has a valid certificate.
>
> Otherwise I'd appreciate if you'd discuss issues with your internet
> provider in the appropriate forums. Everybody worldwide can access the
> Elecraft website fine just not a handful of Verizon FIOS customers. Now go
> figure where the fault is ...
>
> Thanks,
> Olli
>
> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>

> Am 02.01.2016 um 00:46 schrieb Byron Peebles:
>
>> The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues are
>> probably related to that.

Re: Elecraft.com - NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

N5GE
Well said Olli.

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 11:46:27 +0100, you wrote:

>http://www.elecraft.com is not using any certificates (just checked),
>it's just plain http, not https (thus no need for certificates). It only
>switches to https when you are going to pay an order like in "Check Out
>Now". And even then it's not Elecraft anymore but cartserver.com which
>is providing the service and has a valid certificate.
>
>Otherwise I'd appreciate if you'd discuss issues with your internet
>provider in the appropriate forums. Everybody worldwide can access the
>Elecraft website fine just not a handful of Verizon FIOS customers. Now
>go figure where the fault is ...
>
>Thanks,
>Olli
>
>Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>

>Am 02.01.2016 um 00:46 schrieb Byron Peebles:
>> The Elecraft site has an invalid certificate, so others having issues
>> are probably related to that.

>Message delivered to [hidden email]
ARS N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE