Elecraft compatible WX station

Mike KS7D
I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3 or KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on this list who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.

My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.

I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.

Mike, ks7d
Sent from my iPhone
www.ks7d.com
@ks7d

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

KF5WBS
Mike and the group,

I would also be interested in suggestions for a WX station.  Especially from the standpoint of playing well with the K3.  Hurricane season will start soon here on the gulf coast and I would like to have a station in place.

Thanks,

Tom KF5WBS

On Mar 1, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Mike KS7D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3 or KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on this list who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.
>
> My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.
>
> I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.
>
> Mike, ks7d
> Sent from my iPhone
> www.ks7d.com
> @ks7d

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Dave, W8OV
I've used a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless weather station for several
years.  The only problem it has had with my K3 is that occasionally,
when I'm on certain bands, the weather station will stop displaying the
outside temperature while I transmit, though it resumes withing a few
seconds.  I also use software that sends the weather data through the
computer to a couple of places on the web and, again occasionally, that
transmission will stop and I have to restart the software to restart the
transmission to the web.  This does not happen every time I'm on the
air.  However, so far, no known problems in the other direction.

Dave W8OV

On 3/1/2014 1:24 PM, Mike KS7D wrote:

> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3 or KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on this list who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.
>
> My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.
>
> I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.
>
> Mike, ks7d
> Sent from my iPhone
> www.ks7d.com
> @ks7d

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

jeff stai-2
I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OSJ08S/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ambient WS2080. I've not experienced any interference with it either way.
The console on mine died recently but their customer service has been
excellent in getting it replaced. It shows out of stock on amazon currently
but it should be findable. Jeff wk6i

On Saturday, March 1, 2014, Mike KS7D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be
> compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3 or
> KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on this list
> who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.
>
> My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked
> fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.
>
> I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect
> Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.
>
> Mike, ks7d
> Sent from my iPhone
> www.ks7d.com
> @ks7d
> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:;>

Jeff Stai ~ [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Rick WA6NHC
I use an AccuRite wireless with no computer interface or radio interference.  I got it at WalMart.  Prices vary accordingly to features, this one has a rain cup for ~US$100 total.  Check the hardware department (odd place, but there it is).

Rick, WA6NHC

iPad = small keypad = typos = sorry ;-)

> On Mar 1, 2014, at 12:07 PM, W8OV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've used a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless weather station for several years.  The only problem it has had with my K3 is that occasionally, when I'm on certain bands, the weather station will stop displaying the outside temperature while I transmit, though it resumes withing a few seconds.  I also use software that sends the weather data through the computer to a couple of places on the web and, again occasionally, that transmission will stop and I have to restart the software to restart the transmission to the web.  This does not happen every time I'm on the air.  However, so far, no known problems in the other direction.
>
> Dave W8OV
>

>> On 3/1/2014 1:24 PM, Mike KS7D wrote:
>> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3 or KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on this list who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.
>>
>> My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.
>>
>> I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.
>>
>> Mike, ks7d
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> www.ks7d.com
>> @ks7d

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Robert Nobis - N7RJN
I am also interested in this topic. I am in the process of getting a Davis
Vantage Pro and wonder where this should be located relative to proximity
to an antenna?

On 3/1/14, 13:07, "W8OV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I've used a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless weather station for several
>years.  The only problem it has had with my K3 is that occasionally,
>when I'm on certain bands, the weather station will stop displaying the
>outside temperature while I transmit, though it resumes withing a few
>seconds.  I also use software that sends the weather data through the
>computer to a couple of places on the web and, again occasionally, that
>transmission will stop and I have to restart the software to restart the
>transmission to the web.  This does not happen every time I'm on the
>air.  However, so far, no known problems in the other direction.
>
>Dave W8OV
>

>On 3/1/2014 1:24 PM, Mike KS7D wrote:
>> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be
>>compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3
>>or KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on
>>this list who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.
>>
>> My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked
>>fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.
>>
>> I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect
>>Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.
>>
>> Mike, ks7d
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> www.ks7d.com
>> @ks7d

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
I use the same system but direct connected to the internet.  Never once had
an issue with it while running the K3/KPA500...

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ / J68HZ/ 8P6HK/ ZF2HZ

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch
Staunton, Illinois

email:  [hidden email]

I've used a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless weather station for several
years.  The only problem it has had with my K3 is that occasionally,
when I'm on certain bands, the weather station will stop displaying the
outside temperature while I transmit, though it resumes withing a few
seconds.  I also use software that sends the weather data through the
computer to a couple of places on the web and, again occasionally, that
transmission will stop and I have to restart the software to restart the
transmission to the web.  This does not happen every time I'm on the
air.  However, so far, no known problems in the other direction.

Dave W8OV

On 3/1/2014 1:24 PM, Mike KS7D wrote:
> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be
compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2, K3 or
KX3 radios. I would very much appreciate the thoughts of those on this list
who have experience with wireless WX stations for home use.

> My previous WX station, La Cross Technology WS-2010 has died. It worked
fine, but didn't last long. I want a better quality WX station this time.

> I apologize for the bandwidth for an issue that is only an indirect
Elecraft radio issue. Please respond off-list if you prefer.

> Mike, ks7d
> Sent from my iPhone
> www.ks7d.com
> @ks7d

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Interference works both ways ... I know. :-)  I had a Davis station,
don't remember which one, and so long as I was at QRP or near QRP power
levels, all was well.  The display was in the shack, the rain gauge was
on the roof, and the anemometer, wind direction, and temperature sensors
were at the top of my flag pole.  The tower was about 250 ft away.

I noticed that, at 100 watts, particularly on 15 meters, transmitting
disrupted the displays, thus screwing up the wx record in the memory.
Then I got a 1 KW amplifier.  The first transmission at high power,
which happened to be on 15 meters, rendered the entire wx station
inoperative ... permanently.

I finally took it apart just before putting it in the ewaste bin.  There
was no RF-proofing at all, multiple examples of K9YC's "Pin 1 Problems,"
and no shielding.  So, whatever one you choose, be advised that there
could be no weather while you're transmitting. :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

On 3/1/2014 11:24 AM, Mike KS7D wrote:
> I would like to get a good wireless weather station that would be
> compatible with amateur radio use - no interference to Elecraft K2,
> K3 or KX3 radios.

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

mcduffie

> I am also interested in this topic. I am in the process of getting a Davis
> Vantage Pro and wonder where this should be located relative to proximity
> to an antenna?

I'm running mine mounted right at the top of the tower, within a few feet of the
tribander (see picture on QRZ page).  I've never had any RF issues with it, but
this one sure is built cheap!  It doesn't take much hail to break a cup.  They
are VERY fragile.  I've never even given thought to the station causing
interference to my rigs, and I've never run into any.  I worry more about
interfering with the instruments, but haven't seen any.

Gary

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

alsopb
This begs the question.  The original poster said he was getting ready
for the hurricane season.  Given what you say, I doubt the Davis
anemometer cups would survive a near hurricane blow.

Ditto with my Oregon scientific.

So maybe the original postee has to reassess just what he wants from him
WX station.  It looks like he needs something more robust than a hobby
grade wx station.

However, my first concern when a hurricane is approaching is how robust
is my house, the escape route, environment and the surrounding trees!

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 3/1/2014 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:

>> I am also interested in this topic. I am in the process of getting a Davis
>> Vantage Pro and wonder where this should be located relative to proximity
>> to an antenna?
>
> I'm running mine mounted right at the top of the tower, within a few feet of the
> tribander (see picture on QRZ page).  I've never had any RF issues with it, but
> this one sure is built cheap!  It doesn't take much hail to break a cup.  They
> are VERY fragile.  I've never even given thought to the station causing
> interference to my rigs, and I've never run into any.  I worry more about
> interfering with the instruments, but haven't seen any.
>
> Gary

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Mel

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Mel
I have the Davis Pro also for about 6 years.  No RF issues.  Antennas all over the place 160- 450 MHz.  Only problem is I can't keep the spiders out of the rain bucket, hi.. Put up a Home Depot tube gauge.  Easy to clean.

Mel, K6KBE

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:04 PM, Brian Alsop <[hidden email]> wrote:

This begs the question.  The original poster said he was getting ready
for the hurricane season.  Given what you say, I doubt the Davis
anemometer cups would survive a near hurricane blow.

Ditto with my Oregon scientific.

So maybe the original postee has to reassess just what he wants from him
WX station.  It looks like he needs something more robust than a hobby
grade wx station.

However, my first concern when a hurricane is approaching is how robust
is my house, the escape route, environment and the surrounding trees!

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 3/1/2014 22:50, [hidden email] wrote:

>> I am also interested in this topic. I am in the process of getting a Davis
>> Vantage Pro and wonder where this should be located relative to proximity
>> to an antenna?
>
> I'm running mine mounted right at the top of the tower, within a few feet of the
> tribander (see picture on QRZ page).  I've never had any RF issues with it, but
> this one sure is built cheap!  It doesn't take much hail to break a cup.  They
> are VERY fragile.  I've never even given thought to the station causing
> interference to my rigs, and I've never run into any.  I worry more about
> interfering with the instruments, but haven't seen any.
>
> Gary

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

mcduffie

> This begs the question.  The original poster said he was getting ready
> for the hurricane season.  Given what you say, I doubt the Davis
> anemometer cups would survive a near hurricane blow.

Hard to say.  I would expect any hail or flying debris to be ample to killing
the anemometer, but you'd be surprised how many small hail storms it did come
through.  As for wind, mine has been to 81MPH with no centrifugal destruction.

> Ditto with my Oregon scientific.

This one is a LaCrosse, I think WS 2800 series, was something like $79 at Cosco
several years ago.  Everything is plastic, and the anemometer is quite light. Of
course, that gives good inertial response to wind gusts.  I really want a
commercial unit with no moving parts like our highway department has installed
locally.  I think it will take much more abuse, but I'm sure it is much more
expensive too, and probably not available in wireless version.

Oh, and parts are NOT available for repair on my cheapie.  That's something to
keep in mind.

A little OT for the group, but I know many here are interested, and I'm
certainly one who would like a source of better wireless units.

Gary
KTNESCOTT2 on WeatherUnderground
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNESCOTT2
--

Web: http://ag0n.net
NodeOp Page: http://ag0n.net/irlp

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Robert Nobis - N7RJN
Gary,

I am surprised to hear they are cheaply built, as depending on the model
and options that are selected, these could run nearly $1000.

Bob

On 3/1/14, 15:50, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am also interested in this topic. I am in the process of getting a
>>Davis
>> Vantage Pro and wonder where this should be located relative to
>>proximity
>> to an antenna?
>
>I'm running mine mounted right at the top of the tower, within a few feet
>of the
>tribander (see picture on QRZ page).  I've never had any RF issues with
>it, but
>this one sure is built cheap!  It doesn't take much hail to break a cup.
>They
>are VERY fragile.  I've never even given thought to the station causing
>interference to my rigs, and I've never run into any.  I worry more about
>interfering with the instruments, but haven't seen any.
>
>Gary

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

John Harper AE5X
I have a Davis VantageVue mounted on my Hazer a few feet from my Yagi. A kw
out of that Yagi doesn't phase it in the least despite the close proximity.

http://www.ae5x.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wx.jpg

If I had it to do over again I'd buy another one.

And no - no RFI to the K3.

John AE5X

http://www.ae5x.com/blog

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

mcduffie

> Gary,
>
> I am surprised to hear they are cheaply built, as depending on the model
> and options that are selected, these could run nearly $1000.

The cheaply built comment is about my weather station.  I sells for less than
$100 when available.

Gary

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

John Lemay
I have a Davis Vantage Vue, and by complete coincidence I have had to take
it down today. It has failed after two years. Tried new battery, many hard
resets etc but it is now totally non-functional.

I have therefore no hesitation in not recommending Davis Instruments.

John G4ZTR

Mel

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Gary Ferdinand
I’ve had a Vantage Pro 2 (wireless), a side-kick Anemometer (wireless) and they’ve been literally directly under my multi band wire with power levels up to 1500 watts. The exciter is a K3.  Never an issue for me at all.   As for reliability, I’ve had to replace one humidity sensor in 8 years of operation.

73/Gary W2CS

On Mar 2, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Mel Farrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After much thought on my purchase of the Davis, I opt'd for the wired version.  6 years and rolling, only problems, stated earlier is the spiders in the rain gauge.
>
> Mel, K6KBE
>

> On Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:25 AM, John Lemay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a Davis Vantage Vue, and by complete coincidence I have had to take
> it down today. It has failed after two years. Tried new battery, many hard
> resets etc but it is now totally non-functional.
>
> I have therefore no hesitation in not recommending Davis Instruments.
>
> John G4ZTR

I think it is only fair that I grab one more email in order to put right my
earlier comments. I have opened up my weather station on the bench;
dismantling it as far as I dare. I could not see any problems and all the
electronics is potted against ingress so fault finding is near impossible. I
put it back together, and now it works !

So, I'm not sure why it failed and I suppose it might happen again, but I'm
very relieved to have it operational once more.

John G4ZTR

Re: Elecraft compatible WX station

Edward R Cole
Probably overkill on wx station comments.

I bought a Peet Bros Ultimeter 800 at Dayton last year and it blew
apart in 50mph wind gusts a month ago.  I wondered why I was seeing
0mph and the trees were laying over at 45-degrees! ;-)

I had been having electronic problems before the storm:  Wind speed
would cease functioning even though the cups were spinning madly up
at 35-feet on my tower.  I found I had to remove power from the unit
(essentially doing a hard boot up of the electronic unit) to restore
windspeed operation.  It has worked fine as digital thermometer.

But I lost the wind vane and the cups blew off loosing one cup and
vane all togther (I found the remnant 50-feet from the tower on the
ground.  Now I have to decide whether to try getting warranty repair
of the electronics and buying a new windspeed sender?

It was hard-wired with ordinary 4 conductor flat phone wire and RJ11
connectors.  I saw no RFI Tx or Rx running 275w on HF 20-feet above
or 125w 6m ten feet below the speed unit.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: