External speaker recommendation.....

Eddy

I'm amazed at how well my K2 internal speaker works and sounds! Every time I plug in an external speaker, I've quickly gone back to the internal speaker........

So, has anyone found an external speaker for the k2 that sounds "better" than the internal unit? Also, I'm really not willing to spend a bunch of $$ on one...

Thanks and 73

ed

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Fred Smith
YES!

The West Mountain Radio COMspkr $39, I have several sets of them on my
K2/K3.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 5210--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KAT500--W2
Amps Elecraft KPA500 HF/6m--Alpha's 9500 HF--87A HF--Mirage B-5030-G
300+w--(2) B-5016-G's 165w 2m

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Rose
I too endorse the West Mountain speakers!  I have them in  use on my K2,
K3, KX3 and two commmputers.

73 !
Ken - K0PP

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Ed,

One possible reason for your lack of satisfaction in external speakers
may be that they are all 8 ohm speakers.
The K2 audio amplifier does not have a lot of excess gain (that was by
design to limit the receive current). If you are to get a decent amount
of power out of it, the speaker load must be 4 ohms or less. A higher
impedance (or less efficient) speaker will sound quite weak compared to
the internal speaker.

An amplified speaker can be used to fix that.

On 1/6/2014 4:01 PM, Eddy wrote:

> I'm amazed at how well my K2 internal speaker works and sounds! Every time I plug in an external speaker, I've quickly gone back to the internal speaker........
>
> So, has anyone found an external speaker for the k2 that sounds "better" than the internal unit? Also, I'm really not willing to spend a bunch of $$ on one...
>
> Thanks and 73
>
> ed

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Eric J
I thought something was wrong with my ears (OK, there is, but not this).
I've tried several external speakers as well. The latest was the West
Mountain ones which I made the mistake of opening and lost all
confidence in what I saw.

The K2 speaker has been better for CW than anything else I have tried.
No explanation.

Eric
KE6US

On 1/6/2014 1:01 PM, Eddy wrote:

> I'm amazed at how well my K2 internal speaker works and sounds! Every time I plug in an external speaker, I've quickly gone back to the internal speaker........
>
> So, has anyone found an external speaker for the k2 that sounds "better" than the internal unit? Also, I'm really not willing to spend a bunch of $$ on one...
>
> Thanks and 73
>
> ed

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Fred Smith
I have paid upwards of $350 for a sets of speakers for radios and ending up
selling all the others in favor of the West Mountain ones......If you're
only going to use your single receiver K2 for CW and digital modes
headphones might be the only required. Come to think of it I do still have 1
set of Icom speakers left for low clearance and match an Icom radio I have.
But they only cost about $300 for the set and don't sound as good as the $39
set.

On 1/6/2014 1:01 PM, Eddy wrote:

> I'm amazed at how well my K2 internal speaker works and sounds! Every time
I plug in an external speaker, I've quickly gone back to the internal
speaker........

> So, has anyone found an external speaker for the k2 that sounds "better"
than the internal unit? Also, I'm really not willing to spend a bunch of $$
on one...

> Thanks and 73
>
> ed

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Scotty Long
The best I've used for monitoring while working in the shack or letting my kids listen to an active cw QSO is the speaker from my Drake TR4C.  Otherwise I use headphones most of the time...

Scotty/NU0S

K1-4...S/N. 3206

Eddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm amazed at how well my K2 internal speaker works and sounds! Every time I plug in an external speaker, I've quickly gone back to the internal speaker........

So, has anyone found an external speaker for the k2 that sounds "better" than the internal unit? Also, I'm really not willing to spend a bunch of $$ on one...

Thanks and 73

ed

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Bob-270
Hi Ed,

           Well "better"  is very subjective but I liked the powered Motorola
speaker. I used the original built in Motorola amp, Type 1 as shown here:

http://www2.opparc.org/mirrors/n0ss/www.n0ss.net/index_general.html

            They are widely available at ham flea markets and Ebay. To me the
better aspect was level as I felt the K2 was lacking for my ears. Maybe one of
the none powered ones would even work for you.

73,
Bob
K2TK

On 1/6/2014 2:02 PM, EricJ wrote:
> The K2 speaker has been better for CW than anything else I have tried.

Elecraft found a VERY good speaker for the K2.  Don's advice about
looking for a 4 ohm speaker is also good -- virtually all loudspeaker
amplifiers have a VERY low output Z, typically 0.1 Ohm or less, making
them a constant voltage source. By simple Ohm's law, they will provide
maximum power to the lowest impedance  which they are designed. Power is
E squared divided by R, so you can use them with higher Z speakers, but
you will lose 3 dB of level for 8 ohms, another 3dB for 16 ohms.

The second part of the equation is loudspeaker efficiency. In general,
the smaller the loudspeaker, the less efficient it is. In other words,
louder = bigger. The best 4 ohm loudspeaker I know of is the MR55, made
by RCF, and Italian company. I've used them in some high profile
projects. They're not cheap. Smaller speakers in their line are not
nearly as nice.

Mel

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Mel
So far with my KX3, I have found the the self powered X-Mini speaker does well on CW and SSB.  While not hifi, it is very good.  <$40.

Mel, K6KBE

On Monday, January 6, 2014 2:59 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

Then I should plan on using my Magneplanar SMGa's, because they are 2 Ohm speakers. Except I don't have a K2. Dang.

wunder
K6WRU

On Jan 6, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/6/2014 2:02 PM, EricJ wrote:
>> The K2 speaker has been better for CW than anything else I have tried.
>
> Elecraft found a VERY good speaker for the K2.  Don's advice about looking for a 4 ohm speaker is also good -- virtually all loudspeaker amplifiers have a VERY low output Z, typically 0.1 Ohm or less, making them a constant voltage source. By simple Ohm's law, they will provide maximum power to the lowest impedance  which they are designed. Power is E squared divided by R, so you can use them with higher Z speakers, but you will lose 3 dB of level for 8 ohms, another 3dB for 16 ohms.
>
> The second part of the equation is loudspeaker efficiency. In general, the smaller the loudspeaker, the less efficient it is. In other words, louder = bigger. The best 4 ohm loudspeaker I know of is the MR55, made by RCF, and Italian company. I've used them in some high profile projects. They're not cheap. Smaller speakers in their line are not nearly as nice.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Randy Lake
I am currently using the Bose Companion2 Series 2. They sound really nice.
They are roughly 3in.x 7in. and dual inputs so I can have the radio and my
system sound card going into it without having to switch or have a second
set of speakers. I think I got them on www.woot.com for around $70.
73 HNY
Randy N1KWF

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
>           Well "better"  is very subjective but I liked the powered
> Motorola speaker. I used the original built in Motorola amp, Type 1 as
> shown here:
>
> http://www2.opparc.org/mirrors/n0ss/www.n0ss.net/index_general.html
>
>            They are widely available at ham flea markets and Ebay. To me
> the better aspect was level as I felt the K2 was lacking for my ears. Maybe
> one of the none powered ones would even work for you.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK
>

> On 1/6/2014 4:01 PM, Eddy wrote:
>
>> I'm amazed at how well my K2 internal speaker works and sounds! Every
>> time I plug in an external speaker, I've quickly gone back to the internal
>> speaker........
>>
>> So, has anyone found an external speaker for the k2 that sounds "better"
>> than the internal unit? Also, I'm really not willing to spend a bunch of $$
>> on one...
>>
>> Thanks and 73
>>
>> ed

Randy Lake N1KWF
73 Gunn Rd.
Keene,NH

Re: External speaker recommendation.....

Mike Maloney

________________________________

The K2 speaker has been better for CW than anything else I have tried.
No explanation.

Eric
KE6US

 My experience likewise and this includes my K3.   The CW sidetone is improved and boosted
even more with a right angle deflector on top of the internal speaker.  A 2 inch PVC elbow (painted black) does this nicely.

Mike
AC5P

KX3 Construction

Eugene Balinski
All,

  I am finally getting around to assembling my KX3. If I
read the invoice correctly, the Serno is 888.

   I know that there have been a number of ECO's for
various issues.  Is there some place that they are all
collected such that I can order the necessary parts at once
?  How about from-to instructions or errata  so one would
know when to use the new parts ?

Thanks es 73

Gene K1NR