FS: Internal battery for K2

walter renner
I have for sale complete including new top cover, the internal battery installed w/ speaker and
all ready to mount to your QRP K2.
$45.00 plus shipping. Contact me off list.

Kurt  -  K0ARO

Elecraft roofing filters

Kjeld Holm
Dear all,

In the "Roofing Filter Notes from Wayne and Eric" link on the Order page I see the two sentences: "Add narrower/wider filters as you prefer. I like to use the 1.0 kHz crystal filter when tuning a crowded band or listening to a pile up."

Can anyone point me to a place that can tell me what "the 1.0 kHz crystal filter" is, where to obtain one and when it is worth using?

Vy 73
OZ1CCM Kjeld

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

Bob Naumann W5OV

On the K3 order page you will find:

KFL3A-1.0K  1 kHz, 8-pole roofing filter

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

Kjeld Holm
Dear all,

Thanks for all the kind answers.

Sorry for all that fuss. Somehow I mixed up everything so I ended up
thinking of some nonsense like 1.0 kHz for SSB. :-o

I will go for 250 Hz and 400 Hz for CW plus 2.8 kHz for SSB. And also
filters for AM and FM.

Vy 73
OZ1CCM Kjeld

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

K4GM-George
I have the 400 and don't see the need for 250

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

M0XDF
I agree with that, but the 1.8kHz sure helps in SSB Contests
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe.
-Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

On 5 Feb 2009, at 16:53, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have the 400 and don't see the need for 250

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
The 250Hz and 400Hz filters are very similar, in reality.  Having both
is redundant.  But having a 1.8kHz or 2.1kHz for SSB RX is a good
thing for contesting.  Note that some people have used a custom 1.5kHz
roofing filter with good success for SSB contesting.

This is all from a little experience, and listening to people with
LOTS of experince and knowledge.
73, doug

   From: "David Ferrington, M0XDF" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:46:52 +0000

   I agree with that, but the 1.8kHz sure helps in SSB Contests
   73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
   --
   Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe.
   -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

   On 5 Feb 2009, at 16:53, [hidden email] wrote:

   > I have the 400 and don't see the need for 250

The difference between the 250 and 400 Hz filters is not
enough to be worthwhile (approximately 375 Hz vs. 430 Hz).
If you want a narrow filter get the Elecraft 200 Hz 5-pole
unit.

In addition, you should not need both the FM and AM filters
if the firmware was fixed to allow the use of the FM filter
for ESSB and AM transmit.  If you plan to use the AM filter
only for receiving, that is even more reason to bypass the
AM roofer and leave a space for the 1.5 or 1.8 KHz SSB filter.

Andreas Junge

> The 250Hz and 400Hz filters are very similar, in reality.  Having both
> is redundant.  But having a 1.8kHz or 2.1kHz for SSB RX is a good
> thing for contesting.  Note that some people have used a custom 1.5kHz
> roofing filter with good success for SSB contesting.

I have to agree with Doug on this, get either one, but not both. I have both
the 400Hz and 250Hz and I saw little difference between them. When I
installed my KRX3 I took the 400hz filter out of the main receiver and moved
it over to the 2nd receiver. I am happy the way it works now. So, that's
2.7Khz and 250Hz for the main receiver and 2.7Khz and 400Hz for the sub.
Diversity receive still works fine. YMMV.

Andreas, N6NU

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

Kjeld Holm
Dear all,

Once and again: Thanks to all for very interesting and informative answers.

Right now my conclusion according to my planed way of operation is the
following setup

2 pcs KFL3A-2.8_2.7sw replacement K3 and KRX3
2 pcs KFL3A-1.8K SSB
2 pcs KFL3A-200 5-pole CW + matching
2 pcs KFL3A-400 CW
2 pcs KFL3B-FM FM

For the purpose of working as many DXCC countries as possible including
picking new ones during contests on crowded  bands.

As I understand this configuration will not allow me to receive or transmit
on AM but it will maybe allow ESSB later if the firmware can be modified to
use the FM filter for ESSB.

Any further comments before my ordering will be appreciated.

Vy 73
OZ1CCM Kjeld

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

Dave, G4AON
Kleld there has been some debate over the use of FM bandwidth filtering
to transmit AM (or ESSB), I don't have an FM filter so cannot give a
measurement for the bandwidth that may result from transmitting AM or
ESSB through the filter. Using the 6 KHz "AM" filter gives a nice tight
transmission on AM with a bandwidth of approximately +/- 3KHz down to
many dB's below peak. ESSB through the 6 KHz filter is also nice and
tight. There are some excessively wide AM transmissions here in the UK
on AM, several have been measured at +/- 10 KHz or more, these are
usually older, or home built, transmitters rather than recent commercial
units. AM can use excessive bandwidth so I would hope K3 users would set
a good example and keep their transmissions within reasonable limits.

Bottom line, if you want to transmit AM or ESSB consider using the 6 KHz
rather than the 13 KHz filter unless you can be sure your bandwidth
isn't excessive with one.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80

<SNIP>
2 pcs KFL3A-2.8_2.7sw replacement K3 and KRX3
2 pcs KFL3A-1.8K SSB
2 pcs KFL3A-200 5-pole CW + matching
2 pcs KFL3A-400 CW
2 pcs KFL3B-FM FM

For the purpose of working as many DXCC countries as possible including
picking new ones during contests on crowded bands.

As I understand this configuration will not allow me to receive or transmit
on AM but it will maybe allow ESSB later if the firmware can be modified to
use the FM filter for ESSB.

Any further comments before my ordering will be appreciated.

Vy 73
OZ1CCM Kjeld

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

Bob Naumann W5OV
This filter mystery seems to be a common exercise for purchasers of a K3.

Having just gone through this myself, reading all of the data available, and
consulting with K3 owners for their experiences, I settled on the following
assortment of filters for my new K3:

KFL3A-6K   6.0  kHz   8 pole
KFL3A-2.7K 2.7  kHz   5 pole (standard)
KFL3A-500    500 Hz   5 pole
KFL3A-200    200 Hz   5 pole

I am extremely pleased with the performance with these filters and along
with the DSP, even the bedlam that was going on in the recent CQWW 160
contest was easy to listen to and to sort out weak signals among the very
strong. I cannot say enough about how pleased I am with the performance. My
only wish is that I could be heard as well as I now hear!

If I was to add anything, it might be the 1 kHz filter to fill in the wide
gap between the 2.7k and 500 Hz filters but this is a personal suspicion
rather than a scientific determination.

73,

Bob W5OV

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

w0mu
Does he really need two FM filters?

If you want to do diversity receive make sure you ask for matching filters.

I don't know if you really need all those filters in the sub receiver.  I
would assume most of your main operating would be off the main receiver.

Mike W0MU

never get over." Ben Franklin

Re: Elecraft roofing filters

> Right now my conclusion according to my planed way of
> operation is the following setup
>
> 2 pcs KFL3A-2.8_2.7sw replacement K3 and KRX3
> 2 pcs KFL3A-1.8K SSB
> 2 pcs KFL3A-200 5-pole CW + matching
> 2 pcs KFL3A-400 CW
> 2 pcs KFL3B-FM FM

Having done the 2 x KFL3A-2.8_2.7sw replacement, I am not
convinced that there is enough (any) performance gain to
justify the significant cost.  As others have commented,
you probably don't need the extra FM, 1.8K and 200 Hz
filters in the subreceiver.  However, with the soon to be
released independent band operation, the FM filter might be
worthwhile to permit SWL or other general purpose listening.

> As I understand this configuration will not allow me to
> receive or transmit on AM but it will maybe allow ESSB later
> if the firmware can be modified to use the FM filter for ESSB.

The FM filter will allow you to receive AM but not transmit
at the present time.  With the concern for transmit image
rejection when using the FM filter in AM or ESSB, there is
no reason that the filter could not be offset to place the
image well down the skirt when transmitting if the skirts
are marginal with the signal centered.

WILLIS COOKE
I would say that you don't really need all those filters.  The DSP filter does all the heavy lifting except for removing the artifacts from signals that are inside the pass band of the roofing filter.  I have the 2.7k, 500 Hz and 250 Hz in my main receiver and just the 2.7K and 500 Hz in my second receiver.  I don't feel the need for more, but I have zero interest in FM, AM and ESSB.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ