FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Stephen Bloom
Hope it isn't bad etiquette to send this to two email lists

I've thought that ExpertAmps and Elecraft should consider some type of
working agreement.  I have a K3 and 2K-FA that play very well together .very
nice for QSK, though I did buy the amp with the after market vacuum relay),
pretty similar to the way the K3 and KPA500 do.  A long time ago Elecraft
protopyed a single tube KPA-1500 but I think that project died.  Frosty
K5LBU ..the American Distributor for SPE puts together a lodge safari type
operation in Africa every year (last year it was 3D2A, this year I think it
will be 7P7 or 7Q7) and they pair K3's and 1K-FAs and 2K-FAs.

73

Steve KL7SB

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

You are partly correct.
Elecraft did prototype both an 800 watt amp and a 1500 watt amp long ago.
They were both all solid state - no tubes involved.
The 1500 watt version used two of the power bricks of the 800 watt unit.

On 5/12/2014 2:25 PM, Stephen Bloom wrote:

> Hope it isn't bad etiquette to send this to two email lists
>

> I've thought that ExpertAmps and Elecraft should consider some type of
> working agreement.  I have a K3 and 2K-FA that play very well together .very
> nice for QSK, though I did buy the amp with the after market vacuum relay),
> pretty similar to the way the K3 and KPA500 do.  A long time ago Elecraft
> protopyed a single tube KPA-1500 but I think that project died.  Frosty
> K5LBU ..the American Distributor for SPE puts together a lodge safari type
> operation in Africa every year (last year it was 3D2A, this year I think it
> will be 7P7 or 7Q7) and they pair K3's and 1K-FAs and 2K-FAs.

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

W1KSZ
Wait until the SPE 1.3K-FA comes out, 16.5 lb's, built-in Antenna Tuner.
If the price is right and it should be between the 1K and 2K, they should
sell a boatload of them.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On 5/12/2014 11:25 AM, Stephen Bloom wrote:

> Hope it isn't bad etiquette to send this to two email lists
>

> I've thought that ExpertAmps and Elecraft should consider some type of
> working agreement.  I have a K3 and 2K-FA that play very well together .very
> nice for QSK, though I did buy the amp with the after market vacuum relay),
> pretty similar to the way the K3 and KPA500 do.  A long time ago Elecraft
> protopyed a single tube KPA-1500 but I think that project died.  Frosty
> K5LBU ..the American Distributor for SPE puts together a lodge safari type
> operation in Africa every year (last year it was 3D2A, this year I think it
> will be 7P7 or 7Q7) and they pair K3's and 1K-FAs and 2K-FAs.
>

> 73
>
> Steve KL7SB

Steve, you sure have been doing a lot of " Thinking"
You better be careful now!   :-)

((((73)))) Milverton.

On Monday, May 12, 2014 2:16 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steve,

>You are partly correct.
>Elecraft did prototype both an 800 watt amp and a 1500 watt amp long ago.
>They were both all solid state - no tubes involved.
>The 1500 watt version used two of the power bricks of the 800 watt unit.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
>

>On 5/12/2014 2:25 PM, Stephen Bloom wrote:
>> Hope it isn't bad etiquette to send this to two email lists
>>

>> I've thought that ExpertAmps and Elecraft should consider some type of
>> working agreement.  I have a K3 and 2K-FA that play very well together .very
>> nice for QSK, though I did buy the amp with the after market vacuum relay),
>> pretty similar to the way the K3 and KPA500 do.  A long time ago Elecraft
>> protopyed a single tube KPA-1500 but I think that project died.  Frosty
>> K5LBU ..the American Distributor for SPE puts together a lodge safari type
>> operation in Africa every year (last year it was 3D2A, this year I think it
>> will be 7P7 or 7Q7) and they pair K3's and 1K-FAs and 2K-FAs.

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Scott Manthe-2
$6-$7K is a boatload of money, but I guess if you're a serious amateur,
it's worth it. Personally, it's pretty hard for me to justify $7K on an
amp. I might be able to swing $3.5K on a KPA1000, though...

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 5/12/14 3:17 PM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> Wait until the SPE 1.3K-FA comes out, 16.5 lb's, built-in Antenna Tuner.
> If the price is right and it should be between the 1K and 2K, they should
> sell a boatload of them.
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

KC6CNN
If elecraft made a full legal power amp like the Kpa500. I would be all
over it. Right now I use a Alpha 76PA. When I have to, only voice. Every
thing else is around 10 to 25 watts.
Gerald
On May 12, 2014 2:27 PM, "Scott Manthe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> $6-$7K is a boatload of money, but I guess if you're a serious amateur,
> it's worth it. Personally, it's pretty hard for me to justify $7K on an
> amp. I might be able to swing $3.5K on a KPA1000, though...
>
> 73,
> Scott, N9AA
>

> On 5/12/14 3:17 PM, Richard Solomon wrote:
>
>> Wait until the SPE 1.3K-FA comes out, 16.5 lb's, built-in Antenna Tuner.
>> If the price is right and it should be between the 1K and 2K, they should
>> sell a boatload of them.
>>
>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Ignacy
" SPE has succeeded in designing the 2K-FA
solid-state amplifier that has nearly a 5 out of 5 eham rating"

W8JI found that 5 out of 5 on eham does not mean much.

SPE 2k owners are like in a Corvette club: they bought it mostly because they have money and they want the most expensive stuff. Most seem to be ignorant and afraid of saying one slightest criticism.

With small modifications, 2k-fa can be great, but SPE is no Elecraft.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Wes (N7WS)
Disclaimer: The first and last Corvette I owned was a 1956.  (Don't I wish I had
that back?)

That said, what's your issue with Corvette owners?  The new Sting Ray will blow
the doors off exotics costing many times what it costs and get better fuel
mileage than some "economy" cars while doing it, and costing little more than
some boring mid-sized sedans or SUVs.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-stingray.html

 From edmunds.com:

    "You can also see the average miles per gallon figure, which was achieved on
    91-octane fuel, and with judicious use of cruise control and seventh gear. I
    did drive all day Sunday from Kansas City to Detroit (about 750 miles) in
    Economy mode, which seamlessly deactivates four of the engine's eight
    cylinders when their performance is not needed. That day I averaged over 29
    mpg. Like I said, amazing. I wish I had used that technology throughout the
    trip."

One could easily argue that the Corvette is the K3 of the automobile world.

Wes  N7WS

On 5/12/2014 2:21 PM, Ignacy wrote:

> " SPE has succeeded in designing the 2K-FA
> solid-state amplifier that has nearly a 5 out of 5 eham rating"
>
> W8JI found that 5 out of 5 on eham does not mean much.
>
> SPE 2k owners are like in a Corvette club: they bought it mostly because
> they have money and they want the most expensive stuff. Most seem to be
> ignorant and afraid of saying one slightest criticism.
>
> With small modifications, 2k-fa can be great, but SPE is no Elecraft.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Ignacy
No problems with the Corvette. The Stingray has impressive reviews.

Many Corvette owners seem to drive 5 miles below the limit and accelerate from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds.  It seems to be a status symbol. Also if it breaks down often (reliability much worse than average in CR), it is still  a great car to its owners.

One can have an intelligent QSO with Alpha or Ameritron owners. Hard to do with SPE 2k owners.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
Folks, we're drifting way OT. Let's end this thread at this time.

 73,
Eric
List Moderator, etc.
elecraft.com
_..._

> On May 12, 2014, at 6:42 PM, Ignacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No problems with the Corvette. The Stingray has impressive reviews.
>
> Many Corvette owners seem to drive 5 miles below the limit and accelerate
> from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds.  It seems to be a status symbol. Also if it
> breaks down often (reliability much worse than average in CR), it is still
> a great car to its owners.
>
> One can have an intelligent QSO with Alpha or Ameritron owners. Hard to do
> with SPE 2k owners.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: FW: [cwops] merger of Alpha and Ten Tec

Stephen Bloom
I know this thread has been closed ...but ..couldn't resist this one ...So
far I'm happy with the 2K but realize that it, much like an earlier Italian
import could end up as a 7500 Dollar Fiat (Fix It Again Tony).

73
Steve KL7SB