Feature Wishlist...

Phil Hystad-3
The other day I was reminded that I do not like the LED light display that is on the W2 meter and also the KPA500 (although, I do not yet have a KPA500).  Although the LED lights have not persuaded me NOT to purchase a KPA500, it would be nice if Elecraft could experiment with other kinds of interfaces such as the K3 display methods.

I have an Icom PW-1 amplifier and one thing I really like about it is that it has a remote control head.  This big hunking amp sits on the floor out of the way and only this little control head is in front of me on the desk.

I wonder how much difficult it would be to add a K3 type display to a KPA500.  Maybe this would be called a KPA500X or whatever.  Also, although I have an LPA100A SWR meter, it seems that Elecraft might come out with a competing product, a quality and accurate SWR meter using a K3 type display interface (or, LPA100A like).

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Feature Wishlist...

Jack Brindle
Phil;

You might want to take a good look at the KPA500 manual. What you want
is already in place for the KPA500. You want to see the output power
or SWR in a digital form? Just tap or hold the PWR button. Need a
remote control for the KPA? Your PC should do very well running the
appropriate software. In fact Elecraft's KPA Utility will do an
outstanding job for you in this area. It's all there, ready for you.
You just need the KPA500!

73!

Jack B, W6FB

On Dec 20, 2011, at 8:01 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> The other day I was reminded that I do not like the LED light
> display that is on the W2 meter and also the KPA500 (although, I do
> not yet have a KPA500).  Although the LED lights have not persuaded
> me NOT to purchase a KPA500, it would be nice if Elecraft could
> experiment with other kinds of interfaces such as the K3 display
> methods.
>
> I have an Icom PW-1 amplifier and one thing I really like about it
> is that it has a remote control head.  This big hunking amp sits on
> the floor out of the way and only this little control head is in
> front of me on the desk.
>
> I wonder how much difficult it would be to add a K3 type display to
> a KPA500.  Maybe this would be called a KPA500X or whatever.  Also,
> although I have an LPA100A SWR meter, it seems that Elecraft might
> come out with a competing product, a quality and accurate SWR meter
> using a K3 type display interface (or, LPA100A like).
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Feature Wishlist...

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Jack, for the W2, I notice the RS232 command set lacks something like the AI1; mode of the K2 and K3.
Having an auto-info mode would mean a remote program wouldn't need to poll; the W2 itself ought to know when something interesting happens.
Leigh/WA5ZNU