Features wanted

n4cc
In an earlier comment Wayne said that Elecraft takes comments made on this
reflector into consideration for future improvement.  I have two K3's and
don't really have any negative comments but I do have some things that I
would like to see improved -- or perhaps a better word would be "different"
in the next Elecraft radio.  While I recognize that the K3 was designed to
be compact, light, and efficient for portability, I would like to see a
version that is designed with style in mind.  I would pay more for better
"finish".  I used a FT1000D for many years before switching to the K3.
Performance-wise the K3 is superior...and performance is the primary
criteria for me in choosing a radio.  However, with respect to "finish", the
Yaesu radio is superior.  It "looks" and feels more expensive.  Not everyone
wants or needs a radio that is designed to be portable (and most active hams
have more than one radio anyway).  I'd like to see K3 performance come in a
sleeker design...If you spin the tuning knob on the Yaesu, it is smooth and
coasts along on ball bearings...the feel of the knobs and switches is
better.  A larger cabinet would allow bandswitch buttons labeled as such and
a larger cabinet would give more working space on the rear.  (With the
preamp, KPA500, KAT500, RTTY, external keyer, etc, the back on the K3
becomes a real kluge.)  A radio designed to be more "fixed station" could
also have the power supply built in and perhaps even have 150 - 200 watt
capability.  The P3 could be built in as well.  The display on an IC7800 is
really nice (in my opinion)...Elecraft could do something of similar
quality.

I'm not suggesting that the K3 or K3S be "deleted" from the product line --
just an alternate packaging solution that would compete more favorably with
the Japanese look and feel.  I'd gladly pay significantly more for a radio
with K3 performance and IC7800 look and feel... and based on comments I have
heard from others, I think that Elecraft would find a market for it.  In
fact I know some  people who don't own a K3 because of the "look".  For some
price will always be the primary consideration.  For others, it is
secondary.  If Elecraft were to come out with a K3S "Deluxe" I would
probably own "both" radios...keeping the K3 for whatever portable
opportunity might present itself.  I do miss the "feel" of the FT1000D.

Also I would like to see the APF improved by allowing the peaking filter to
be "tuned" as it was on the FT1000D.  I almost always used the APF on the
Yaesu but end up turning it off when I try it on the K3.  I think the "peak"
is too narrow.

I realize I'm offering a lot of MY opinions here and not everyone will want
or agree with my suggestions...but it is what it is -- my wish list.  I'm
hoping that this subject does not start a lot of speculation on "what it
would cost" because that's not the point.  If Elecraft were to consider a
new design, they would have to determine the cost and its potential success
in the market.

Oh....one more thing -- tongue firmly in cheek -- a larger cabinet would
look good next to that 1500 watt amplifier that Elecraft teased us with at
Dayton some years ago...

73, Greg-N4CC

Re: Features wanted

Ken G Kopp
Hi Greg ....

The market already seems to be saturated with radios that appear to meet
your wants.

I sold an FT-990, an FT-1000D, plus an IC'756ProII shortly after my K-line
purchase and I've never regretted it.  Both were fine radios, but certainly
not equal to my K3.

As someone recently posted ... chrome plate it ... it'll perform better.
;-)

73!

Ken - K0PP

Re: Features wanted

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
You can adjust the frequency of the APF peak with the SHIFT encoder. You
can also tap the FINE button to get a slower tuning rate when you are
using the APF. This makes it a bit easier.

In some conditions the APF makes the difference between being able to
copy a station and not. Its usefulness depends on the nature of the
background noise. Don't give up on it.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

On 6 Aug 2015 21:50, Greg wrote:
> Also I would like to see the APF improved by allowing the peaking filter to
> be "tuned" as it was on the FT1000D.  I almost always used the APF on the
> Yaesu but end up turning it off when I try it on the K3.  I think the "peak"
> is too narrow.
> 73, Greg-N4CC

Re: Features wanted

Chris Hallinan
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

A larger cabinet would allow bandswitch buttons labeled as such and
> a larger cabinet would give more working space on the rear.  (With the
> preamp, KPA500, KAT500, RTTY, external keyer, etc, the back on the K3
> becomes a real kluge.)  A radio designed to be more "fixed station" could
> also have the power supply built in and perhaps even have 150 - 200 watt
> capability.  The P3 could be built in as well.  The display on an IC7800 is
> really nice (in my opinion)...Elecraft could do something of similar
> quality.

The one feature I miss the most is having a button for each band.  In my
previous Yaesu rig, each band button had two settings, push once for your
favorite CW settings and freq, and again for SSB.  I use HRD macros for
that now, but I really don't like to use the computer to push buttons on my
radio.  I could see a single additional button, a toggle function, which
changed the personality of the keypad to make them band buttons. Toggle
again, back to normal functionality for those buttons. Hey, and there's
room for that button right next to the CLR button.  Just saying... ;)

-Chris

Re: Features wanted

If you review past posts regarding this subject, you'll find that it has
been discussed in great detail.  Just search on "K4".  Many of us would
like to see a full-size, no-holds-bared Elecraft radio with the function
of the P3 built-in much like the Icom radios and the new Kenwood
TS-990.  When and if that will ever happen remains a topic of pure
speculation.  Hint: don't hold your breath.

73, Doug -- K0DXV

On 8/6/2015 12:50 PM, Greg wrote:

> [...]
>
> Also I would like to see the APF improved by allowing the peaking filter to
> be "tuned" as it was on the FT1000D.  I almost always used the APF on the
> Yaesu but end up turning it off when I try it on the K3.  I think the "peak"
> is too narrow.
>
> I realize I'm offering a lot of MY opinions here and not everyone will want
> or agree with my suggestions...but it is what it is -- my wish list.  I'm
> hoping that this subject does not start a lot of speculation on "what it
> would cost" because that's not the point.  If Elecraft were to consider a
> new design, they would have to determine the cost and its potential success
> in the market.
>
> Oh....one more thing -- tongue firmly in cheek -- a larger cabinet would
> look good next to that 1500 watt amplifier that Elecraft teased us with at

Re: Features wanted

On Thu,8/6/2015 12:40 PM, Chris Hallinan wrote:
> The one feature I miss the most is having a button for each band.

Study the parts of the manual that talk about memories. A lot of what
you want can be achieved by programming memories.

Re: Features wanted

Chris,

My K3 is set up with a button for each band (except for 60 meters).

Check out the manual for "Quick Memories" (Under Memory Controls) Which
use the first 10 memory slots.
I tap M>V and then tap one of the 10 keypad buttons to go to the last
used frequency, mode, etc. on the band related to that memory.
You can arrange the key number/band correlation in any manner you so desire.

In addition, I set up the M1 thru M4 buttons to navigate to my favorite
spot in each band.  I use M1 for CW, M2 for SSB and M3 for data modes.
I leave M4 blank, but I can quickly add it to remember a frequency,
mode, etc. within the band if I think I may want to return to it after
tuning away.

For 60 meters, I have 5 memories set for channel hopping, and normally
when I tap the M>V button, that sequence of 5 channels comes up, and
tapping M>V again puts me on 60 meters with channel hopping active, so I
can change from one channel to another with the VFO knob.  See Channel
Hopping in the manual.

So I do have band buttons on my K3. Only rarely do I use the BAND up/dn
buttons.

On 8/6/2015 3:40 PM, Chris Hallinan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> A larger cabinet would allow bandswitch buttons labeled as such and

Re: Features wanted

Chris Hallinan
Ah, thanks Jim and Don.  While I have made some use of memories, I have not
done anything with M1 through M4, and I didn't realize the first 10 are
"special".  That's why I hang around this list, to learn more about this
great rig!!!  Time for some manual reading and button playing tonight!

Thanks & 73,

Chris
K1AY

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.

Re: Features wanted

I have a Genovation Keypad that I can program up to do many functions.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

A larger cabinet would allow bandswitch buttons labeled as such and
> a larger cabinet would give more working space on the rear.  (With the
> preamp, KPA500, KAT500, RTTY, external keyer, etc, the back on the K3
> becomes a real kluge.)  A radio designed to be more "fixed station" could
> also have the power supply built in and perhaps even have 150 - 200 watt
> capability.  The P3 could be built in as well.  The display on an IC7800 is
> really nice (in my opinion)...Elecraft could do something of similar
> quality.

The one feature I miss the most is having a button for each band.  In my
previous Yaesu rig, each band button had two settings, push once for your
favorite CW settings and freq, and again for SSB.  I use HRD macros for
that now, but I really don't like to use the computer to push buttons on my
radio.  I could see a single additional button, a toggle function, which
changed the personality of the keypad to make them band buttons. Toggle
again, back to normal functionality for those buttons. Hey, and there's
room for that button right next to the CLR button.  Just saying... ;)

-Chris

Re: Features wanted

alsopb
Don,

Respectfully, this isn't one button per band.   It is two.

Also tapping M>V isn't foolproof because this button has two functions.
Tap too long and you don't get M>V.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 8/6/2015 20:23 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Chris,
>
> My K3 is set up with a button for each band (except for 60 meters).
>
> Check out the manual for "Quick Memories" (Under Memory Controls)
> Which use the first 10 memory slots.
> I tap M>V and then tap one of the 10 keypad buttons to go to the last
> used frequency, mode, etc. on the band related to that memory.
> You can arrange the key number/band correlation in any manner you so
> desire.
>
> In addition, I set up the M1 thru M4 buttons to navigate to my
> favorite spot in each band.  I use M1 for CW, M2 for SSB and M3 for
> data modes.
> I leave M4 blank, but I can quickly add it to remember a frequency,
> mode, etc. within the band if I think I may want to return to it after
> tuning away.
>
> For 60 meters, I have 5 memories set for channel hopping, and normally
> when I tap the M>V button, that sequence of 5 channels comes up, and
> tapping M>V again puts me on 60 meters with channel hopping active, so
> I can change from one channel to another with the VFO knob.  See
> Channel Hopping in the manual.
>
> So I do have band buttons on my K3. Only rarely do I use the BAND
> up/dn buttons.
>
> On 8/6/2015 3:40 PM, Chris Hallinan wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> A larger cabinet would allow bandswitch buttons labeled as such and

> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> 08/06/15

Re: Features wanted

N5GE
I have a beautiful thirty inch wide Sonora 5 1920's eara tube batery
receiver model C-10642 in perfect cosmetic shape with three large
bakelite knobs, and two small bakelite knobs, but I can only look at
it.

I also have a brand new Yaesu FTdx1200 that is 14 inches wide and
can't hold a candle to my K3 SN 1025.  It's big and it's pretty, but
that's all it has that the K3 doesn't have.

I'd rather have a better ugly rig that has superior performance than a
a pretty one that doesn't.  I'll stick with the K3 I have, and the K3S
I have ordered.

That's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 12:50:23 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
>
>Also I would like to see the APF improved by allowing the peaking filter to
>be "tuned" as it was on the FT1000D.  I almost always used the APF on the
>Yaesu but end up turning it off when I try it on the K3.  I think the "peak"
>is too narrow.
>
>I realize I'm offering a lot of MY opinions here and not everyone will want
>or agree with my suggestions...but it is what it is -- my wish list.  I'm
>hoping that this subject does not start a lot of speculation on "what it
>would cost" because that's not the point.  If Elecraft were to consider a
>new design, they would have to determine the cost and its potential success
>in the market.
>
>Oh....one more thing -- tongue firmly in cheek -- a larger cabinet would
>look good next to that 1500 watt amplifier that Elecraft teased us with at

Amateur Radio Operator
N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Features wanted

Brian,

You are correct, it is a 2 button sequence, but I did not present it as
a single button operation.

If you hold the M>V button instead of tapping it, you get AF Play -
which is no problem if you do not have the DVR3 installed.
Guest operators using my K3 at Field Day have had no problem with it
even though they have had little experience with the K3.

On 8/6/2015 5:33 PM, brian wrote:
> Don,
>
> Respectfully, this isn't one button per band.   It is two.
>
> Also tapping M>V isn't foolproof because this button has two
> functions.  Tap too long and you don't get M>V.

Re: Features wanted

Alan. G4GNX
I would be happy to own an Elecraft rig that had those extra features, but I
generally find that the buttons are large enough for my fat fingers and
they're spaced far enough apart for me not to make mistakes.

The only time I've been dissatisfied with the cabinet size is when someone
else (who usually doesn't own a K3) complains that it doesn't look like a
'real' radio. Do I care? Do I ****. :-)

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Re: Features wanted

I'm not suggesting you buy a KPA500, but those that have them do have a dedicated band button when properly cabled.
Bob/AA6VB

On 8/6/2015 5:33 PM, brian wrote:
> Don,
>
> Respectfully, this isn't one button per band.  It is two.
>
> Also tapping M>V isn't foolproof because this button has two
> functions.  Tap too long and you don't get M>V.

P3TXMon

Merv Schweigert
Received my P3 TX mon kit the other day and put it in today,
as someone mentioned, took 30 mins or less,  very easy
and great fit etc.
Worked as soon as I fired up the P3 and turned on the TX
feature.

One thing I would like to mention is that my P3 is a older beta
version,  and I have been seeing some odd "noise" on the
display,   it seemed to be internal,   while having the P3 lid off,
I cleaned and applied DeOxit to the cables,  and installed the
cable clip that holds the ribbon cable to the side of the cabinet,
after reassembly all the "noise" is gone and the P3 works like
new.
If your seeing any thing strange on your P3 and cannot find an
external source,  perhaps clean your TMP cables and BNC
connectors etc,  check if you have the cable clip on your
model,
73 Merv K9FD/KH6