Field Day report

Hi all,

This year my son and I once again joined the K6SRA effort at Almaden Quicksilver park in San Jose. This is a well-organized, large 3A operation, with lots of radios, big batteries, solar panels, and no shortage of unhealthy snacks.

We had many drop-bys of hams and non-hams. Lots of excellent PR. At one point I had three 9 or 10 year olds kicking the tires on my KX2, seeing their names in CW and arguing over who would get to log the next contact. Oh, and lots of questions, like "what is a radio signal?"

Did I mention it was hot? Must have been close to 100 F at midday.

After working towards the K6SRA total for awhile, I unplugged the KX2 from the group's Yagi, plugged in a 4'-long 20 meter whip, and headed out for some /PM (pedestrian mobile) operation. I had a gent with me who was very skeptical of what could be done with a hand-held radio, whip, and trailing counterpoise wire.

While standing under a tree, we switched to 20 meters and started tuning around. Using the radio like an HT, running 10 watts (internal battery), we worked several stations in SSB, RTTY, and CW modes. Best DX while handheld was Massachusetts and Hawaii. This all happened over the course of about 3 minutes.

I did discover a couple of minor firmware bugs, in keeping with long Field Day tradition.

Re: Field Day report

Phil Wheeler-2
Nice report, Wayne:-)

Re "I did discover a couple of minor firmware
bugs, in keeping with long Field Day tradition.":
I guess DDT won't get rid of those!

Phil W7OX

On 6/27/16 9:19 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This year my son and I once again joined the K6SRA effort at Almaden Quicksilver park in San Jose. This is a well-organized, large 3A operation, with lots of radios, big batteries, solar panels, and no shortage of unhealthy snacks.
>
> We had many drop-bys of hams and non-hams. Lots of excellent PR. At one point I had three 9 or 10 year olds kicking the tires on my KX2, seeing their names in CW and arguing over who would get to log the next contact. Oh, and lots of questions, like "what is a radio signal?"
>
> Did I mention it was hot? Must have been close to 100 F at midday.
>
> After working towards the K6SRA total for awhile, I unplugged the KX2 from the group's Yagi, plugged in a 4'-long 20 meter whip, and headed out for some /PM (pedestrian mobile) operation. I had a gent with me who was very skeptical of what could be done with a hand-held radio, whip, and trailing counterpoise wire.
>
> While standing under a tree, we switched to 20 meters and started tuning around. Using the radio like an HT, running 10 watts (internal battery), we worked several stations in SSB, RTTY, and CW modes. Best DX while handheld was Massachusetts and Hawaii. This all happened over the course of about 3 minutes.
>
> I did discover a couple of minor firmware bugs, in keeping with long Field Day tradition.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: [KX3] Field Day report

hhoyt
This Field Day I operated once again with W4EZ the Orange County Radio
Amateurs in Hillsborough, NC in an 8A effort.  It was a lot of work
setting up 6 towers and many wire antennas in mid-90° heat and high
humidity but the end result was a lot of fun and Qs.

Despite our best efforts at eliminating cross-interference between
stations beforehand by antenna placement, we suffered quite a bit of
in-band phase noise interference.  All three CW stations and one SSB
station were using K3s, and no K3 station ever interfered with anyone
else or with each other.  Much credit is due to Elecraft for the
transmit purity and receive performance of this superb rig. However, we
experienced some pretty severe in-band phase noise interference ranging
from S3-4 on 40 and 20M from various YaeComWood rigs, to an
ear-shattering received S8-9 from a TS-570 running SSB on 15M when the
noise floor was S0.  Granted, with relatively close antenna spacing
Field Day is a torture test for transmit purity, but sometimes it was
difficult to tolerate...or operate.

Many of us now agree we would optimally be an all K3 Field Day next year
but that is most likely out of the question.  I am a big fan of the KX3,
although for Field Day purposes it would be great if its phase noise was
10-20 dB less; more in line with that of the K3. That being said, a KX3
running digi caused less interference than just about all the
non-Elecraft rigs.

One problem solving this scenario is the political issue of trying to
tell someone they cannot bring their rig to the party.   We did discuss
holding a testing session next year to evaluate phase noise beforehand
and accept or deny use of the rig based on performance, and maybe this
will be viewed as being more impartial.  After witnessing the problem
first-hand, at least one op said he was intending to get an Elecraft
rig.  Elecraft owners are in the minority overall, so instead of Field
Day being an inclusive club event, telling people it will be K3 only
would achieve the opposite.

Other than the phase noise issue, FD was once again a lot of fun and
camaraderie!

Cheers & 73,
Howie - WA4PSC

THE EFFORT OF FIELD DAY

K9ZTV
I can only shake my head in awe of Howie's 8-transmitter FD, as well as
other double-digit multi-transmitter operations .  My hat's off to that
kind of effort, believe me.

We used to do that, too.

But several years ago the Mid-MO Amateur Radio Club (NØSS) of Jefferson
City, Missouri, decided on wire-only Field Days.  We did so for several
reasons . . . (1) those doing the work are aging; (2) those doing the
work have no business being in the sun very long;  (3) those doing the
work are usually those doing the operating;  (4) Missouri weather always
throws 90-degrees and 100% humidity at us;  and (5) none of us enjoy the
labor of putting metal things together only to take them apart again.

Aside from Qs and scores, the goal for me (at 71)  is getting the darn
things up as fast as possible on Friday evening, seeing them stay up for
the duration, and getting the heck out of there when it's over.  To that
end, erection of three OCF dipoles on 30-foot masts aligned end-to-end
with 50-feet of separation took 45 minutes.  Tear-down and site clean-up
took exactly 33-minutes.

/THOSE/ are the reasons our 25-man crew happily stays at 2A!

Equipment-wise, we use nothing but K3s (one each for CW, SSB, GOTA,
VHF).  The CW and SSB rigs were often on the same bands at the same time
with no interference, no phase noise, and no activation of
carrier-operated relays.  Both HF stations stayed busy all weekend.

Again, my salute to the big clubs, the big antenna farms, and the big
scores.

But I suspect our level of fun was the same, with a whale of a lot
/less/ effort.

73,

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV
Jefferson City, Missouri

On 6/27/2016 1:35 PM, Howard Hoyt wrote:

> This Field Day I operated once again with W4EZ the Orange County Radio
> Amateurs in Hillsborough, NC in an 8A effort. It was a lot of work
> setting up 6 towers and many wire antennas in mid-90° heat and high
> humidity but the end result was a lot of fun and Qs.
>
> Despite our best efforts at eliminating cross-interference between
> stations beforehand by antenna placement, we suffered quite a bit of
> in-band phase noise interference.  All three CW stations and one SSB
> station were using K3s, and no K3 station ever interfered with anyone
> else or with each other.  Much credit is due to Elecraft for the
> transmit purity and receive performance of this superb rig. However,
> we experienced some pretty severe in-band phase noise interference
> ranging from S3-4 on 40 and 20M from various YaeComWood rigs, to an
> ear-shattering received S8-9 from a TS-570 running SSB on 15M when the
> noise floor was S0.  Granted, with relatively close antenna spacing
> Field Day is a torture test for transmit purity, but sometimes it was
> difficult to tolerate...or operate.
>
> Many of us now agree we would optimally be an all K3 Field Day next
> year but that is most likely out of the question.  I am a big fan of
> the KX3, although for Field Day purposes it would be great if its
> phase noise was 10-20 dB less; more in line with that of the K3. That
> being said, a KX3 running digi caused less interference than just
> about all the non-Elecraft rigs.
>
> One problem solving this scenario is the political issue of trying to
> tell someone they cannot bring their rig to the party.   We did
> discuss holding a testing session next year to evaluate phase noise
> beforehand and accept or deny use of the rig based on performance, and
> maybe this will be viewed as being more impartial.  After witnessing
> the problem first-hand, at least one op said he was intending to get
> an Elecraft rig.  Elecraft owners are in the minority overall, so
> instead of Field Day being an inclusive club event, telling people it
> will be K3 only would achieve the opposite.
>
> Other than the phase noise issue, FD was once again a lot of fun and
> camaraderie!
>
> Cheers & 73,
> Howie - WA4PSC

Re: THE EFFORT OF FIELD DAY

hhoyt
Hi Kent,

Funny you should mention this idea of minimizing effort, our crew had
discussed this exact issue this year...of course we blamed it on the
90+° and humidity, but it is true, we should all be aware of our
limitations as we age....bring on the youngsters!

Cheers & 73,

Howie - WA4PSC

On 6/27/2016 4:20 PM, KENT TRIMBLE wrote:

> [...]
>> phase noise was 10-20 dB less; more in line with that of the K3. That
>> being said, a KX3 running digi caused less interference than just
>> about all the non-Elecraft rigs.
>>
>> One problem solving this scenario is the political issue of trying to
>> tell someone they cannot bring their rig to the party.   We did
>> discuss holding a testing session next year to evaluate phase noise
>> beforehand and accept or deny use of the rig based on performance,
>> and maybe this will be viewed as being more impartial.  After
>> witnessing the problem first-hand, at least one op said he was
>> intending to get an Elecraft rig. Elecraft owners are in the minority
>> overall, so instead of Field Day being an inclusive club event,
>> telling people it will be K3 only would achieve the opposite.
>>
>> Other than the phase noise issue, FD was once again a lot of fun and

Re: THE EFFORT OF FIELD DAY

Bill-3
"Bring on the youngsters?????????"  Sure - If you can tear them away
from their smart phones and XBoxes!

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: THE EFFORT OF FIELD DAY

Scott Simpson
as the young guy in my club (37) i feel like i put up more antennas and
carried more stuff than i should have in the south texas heat and humidity!

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Bring on the youngsters?????????"  Sure - If you can tear them away
> from their smart phones and XBoxes!
>
> Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: THE EFFORT OF FIELD DAY

Tony Scandurra K4QE
I am happy to report that my 11 year old son, who plays on a PS4, a Xbox,
and his own computer, participated in FD at my local club's operation for
his first time.

He made 63 Qs with help from Dear Old Dad on the GOTA station.  He is also
studying for his Technician class license.

He said over and over again, "Best weekend ever!" to both his mother and
me.  He's already planning for next year.

BTW, we had two other youths at the site who have been hams for years now.
They both have very active lives outside of ham radio, but they still love
the hobby.

Don't give up on our youth!  Ham radio still holds appeal!

73, Tony K4QE (licensed at age 14 over 37 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Bring on the youngsters?????????"  Sure - If you can tear them away from
> their smart phones and XBoxes!
>
> Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Field Day report

Michael Babineau-2
VA3OVQ had an all-Elecraft 2A-Battery operation with a K2/10 and a couple of KX3s (on 20m and the free-be VHF station on 6m).
We also had one of our members bring along his Winlink/Winmor Setup to send some emails (bonus points), which also used a KX3.

What impressed me was how well the Elecraft Rigs handled the heat without any issues.  On Saturday
it was in the high 90s F and on Sunday well over 100 degrees F. The K2 was literally hot to the touch in spite of
being in the shade, but we had no problems.

Collectively we drank 24 litres (a bit over 6 US gallons) of water and made something in the order of 200 QSOs, so I figure that works out to about
8 QSOs / litre ;-)

Michael VE3WMB

Re: THE EFFORT OF FIELD DAY

joemoffatt
For everyone that complains about kids and their X Boxes, etc, I have a simple question for you.  Have you ever asked them to participate with you in an event like FD?

Guess what, some of the kids LOVE it.  They like to be included and wanted.    Not all kids are that way, but there are more than you think.  In fact, I have found some of the more gadgety kids take a real interest in CW.  They find using a key to spell their name very intriguing.

Next time you have an event, ask them to come eat some free food and tinker around with you.

joe

________________________________

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Bill <[hidden email]><redir.aspx?REF=NMHQPIQnSs27yoRXKuP-9vKW6OhPuCJcG71BxPw16ThD7AL07p7TCAFtYWlsdG86dzJibGNAbnljYXAucnIuY29tPg..> wrote:

> "Bring on the youngsters?????????" Sure - If you can tear them away from
> their smart phones and XBoxes!
>
> Bill W2BLC K-Line

> Post: mailto:[hidden email]<redir.aspx?REF=Fk81L_IPVK2tYBsOCatrKfJX2cFuqSFBvNkWd4sJN9dD7AL07p7TCAFtYWlsdG86RWxlY3JhZnRAbWFpbG1hbi5xdGgubmV0>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net<redir.aspx?REF=FUdPmO1taJCkk6qL73pAWF_mnmVK_DsEDBlRCnvHHYxD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnFzbC5uZXQ.>
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html<redir.aspx?REF=ql4vioE2pyKXKfL3Y1bHP-ZF2pz_1tsMBGZa4dxfNPdD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnFzbC5uZXQvZG9uYXRlLmh0bWw.>
> Message delivered to [hidden email]<redir.aspx?REF=7RfV3V8fGf8tpqPg-7kzqv_oRWboupKit_0ykwbxM8VD7AL07p7TCAFtYWlsdG86YW50aG9ueS5zY2FuZHVycmFAZ21haWwuY29t>

Post: mailto:[hidden email]<redir.aspx?REF=Fk81L_IPVK2tYBsOCatrKfJX2cFuqSFBvNkWd4sJN9dD7AL07p7TCAFtYWlsdG86RWxlY3JhZnRAbWFpbG1hbi5xdGgubmV0>

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net<redir.aspx?REF=FUdPmO1taJCkk6qL73pAWF_mnmVK_DsEDBlRCnvHHYxD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnFzbC5uZXQ.>
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html<redir.aspx?REF=ql4vioE2pyKXKfL3Y1bHP-ZF2pz_1tsMBGZa4dxfNPdD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnFzbC5uZXQvZG9uYXRlLmh0bWw.>
Message delivered to [hidden email]<redir.aspx?REF=-Io20oa5Jm157ibWvo3AHXFfVe_EOyayyBH0eauLOdRD7AL07p7TCAFtYWlsdG86am9lQHNlbGVjdGNvbm5lY3QubmV0>
Total Control Panel     Login<redir.aspx?REF=04Sp-pxK4sYJ2Y1Js-Oeaqs1pOx9che1uQ558zQwstRD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwczovL2FzcC5yZWZsZXhpb24ubmV0L2xvZ2luP2RvbWFpbj1zZWxlY3Rjb25uZWN0Lm5ldA..>

To: [hidden email]<redir.aspx?REF=VcrqcWY1BN0kojUKa0Mttq0Wb83R0nIAsgooxrz_dyZD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwczovL2FzcC5yZWZsZXhpb24ubmV0L2FkZHJlc3MtcHJvcGVydGllcz9hSUQ9NzUwNjA3NzYxJmRvbWFpbj1zZWxlY3Rjb25uZWN0Lm5ldA..>
From: [hidden email]

Message Score: 2        High (60): Pass
My Spam Blocking Level: Medium  Medium (75): Pass
        Low (90): Pass
Block<redir.aspx?REF=Xk6h8APHPUULSGmltWmwrHkPgJaIStkbPzKLRaq4Y_VD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwczovL2FzcC5yZWZsZXhpb24ubmV0L0Zvb3RlckFjdGlvbj92ZXI9MyZibC1zZW5kZXItYWRkcmVzcz0xJmhJRD0xNTU5ODMzNTUzOCZkb21haW49c2VsZWN0Y29ubmVjdC5uZXQ.> this sender / Block<redir.aspx?REF=wcOkqY8UhTuPOH4QRPIN1uvVI89n-1K7H0voDBppippD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwczovL2FzcC5yZWZsZXhpb24ubmV0L0Zvb3RlckFjdGlvbj92ZXI9MyZlbnQ9MSZibC1zZW5kZXItYWRkcmVzcz0xJmhJRD0xNTU5ODMzNTUzOCZkb21haW49c2VsZWN0Y29ubmVjdC5uZXQ.> this sender enterprise-wide
Block<redir.aspx?REF=5_rBXCTOfMKd9RboBMVFD9CW3qHCn3D2zchmA-2FBIhD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwczovL2FzcC5yZWZsZXhpb24ubmV0L0Zvb3RlckFjdGlvbj92ZXI9MyZibC1zZW5kZXItZG9tYWluPTEmaElEPTE1NTk4MzM1NTM4JmRvbWFpbj1zZWxlY3Rjb25uZWN0Lm5ldA..> mailman.qth.net / Block<redir.aspx?REF=e27HNEBKUiOw9StffRLSBtrF-sQh2mMANDr7nUmSgatD7AL07p7TCAFodHRwczovL2FzcC5yZWZsZXhpb24ubmV0L0Zvb3RlckFjdGlvbj92ZXI9MyZlbnQ9MSZibC1zZW5kZXItZG9tYWluPTEmaElEPTE1NTk4MzM1NTM4JmRvbWFpbj1zZWxlY3Rjb25uZWN0Lm5ldA..> mailman.qth.net enterprise-wide

This message was delivered because the content filter score did not exceed your filter level.