First QSO!

Sean Wall
Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know I got my first ever QSO today!  It was with an
ARRL Centennial station in New Mexico, W1AW/5.  I was on my KX3 with 10W
running into a 10m dipole. Pretty exciting!

-Sean
KK4YPE

Re: First QSO!

Joe K2UF
Nice going Sean.  I remember my first QSO almost 60 years ago.  About 6
miles from my QTH.  Some DX!!!

You are now hooked.  Might just as well sit back and enjoy.

Good Luck  es 73  Joe K2UF

Re: First QSO!

Congratulations Sean!  I remember my first, a little over 60 years ago,
rig was on a card table in my bedroom and when I heard him call me, I
almost tipped the table over.  "Pretty exciting?"  You bet!  There's a
nearly uncountably infinity of ways to enjoy this hobby.  And, after
awhile, no one can ever beat you in a geography quiz, and you'll have
international friends.  Welcome to the group Sean!

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

On 3/22/2014 5:23 PM, Sean Wall wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to let you know I got my first ever QSO today!  It was with an
> ARRL Centennial station in New Mexico, W1AW/5.  I was on my KX3 with 10W
> running into a 10m dipole. Pretty exciting!
>
> -Sean
> KK4YPE

Re: First QSO!

Sean Wall
Hi Phil,

It was on SSB, and yes, I was definitely nervous. In fact, I was mostly
caught off guard when they replied because I had been calling CQ for a
while and got no response and I had just scanned through the band when I
heard W1AW/5 calling CQ. I tried it and - bam! - he replied back. I sent
back my signal report and, like a knucklehead, asked what they were doing
in region 5. He just laughed and told me he was working the ARRL centennial
station in NM. Oops.

-Sean
KK4YPE

On Saturday, March 22, 2014, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations.  Were you as nervous as I remember being with my first
> about 50 years ago.  Was it CW or SSB with W1AW/5.  I picked up the NM
> W1AW/5  CW yesterday morning at 14.02525 MHz.
>
> Have fun...
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Mar 22, 2014, at 5:23 PM, Sean Wall <[hidden email] <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just wanted to let you know I got my first ever QSO today!  It was with
> an
> > ARRL Centennial station in New Mexico, W1AW/5.  I was on my KX3 with 10W
> > running into a 10m dipole. Pretty exciting!
> >
> > -Sean
> > KK4YPE
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:;>

> > Message delivered to [hidden email] <javascript:;>

Re: First QSO!

Ted Edwards W3TB
Yes, Great Congrats to you, Sean!
I always remember my first QSO as well.
The other station had the letter X in the callsign, and the way I
discovered that I did not really know the letter in CW was that I had to
write the _.._ on paper and look it up afterward.  Yes, I really learned X
that morning.

Super news, and do enjoy that KX3 ---- it will serve you well!

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations Sean!  I remember my first, a little over 60 years ago,
> rig was on a card table in my bedroom and when I heard him call me, I
> almost tipped the table over.  "Pretty exciting?"  You bet!  There's a
> nearly uncountably infinity of ways to enjoy this hobby.  And, after
> awhile, no one can ever beat you in a geography quiz, and you'll have
> international friends.  Welcome to the group Sean!
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
> - www.cqp.org
>

> On 3/22/2014 5:23 PM, Sean Wall wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know I got my first ever QSO today!  It was with an
>> ARRL Centennial station in New Mexico, W1AW/5.  I was on my KX3 with 10W
>> running into a 10m dipole. Pretty exciting!
>>
>> -Sean
>> KK4YPE

73 de Ted Edwards, W3TB and GØPWW

and thinking about operating CW:
"Do today what others won't,
so you can do tomorrow what others can't."

Re: First QSO!

Phil Wheeler-2
Same here, Fred -- In August 1953 on 80 CW with my
(necessarily rock-bound) 6AG7-6L6 transmitter and
a SWBC table model receiver with BFO added. My
first was 3 miles away and we went to the same
high school (of 2500) and had never met, but
became close friends. Such things were really
magical, before the days of cell phones and such.

But I guess that *first* QSO is still exciting
today!  Plus the hobby is so much more varied
today. All good :-)

And, congratulations, Sean. You're into a
marvelous hobby, one which will bring you much
satisfaction, and the occasional frustration ;-)

73, Phil w7ox

On 3/22/14, 6:08 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> Congratulations Sean!  I remember my first, a
> little over 60 years ago, rig was on a card
> table in my bedroom and when I heard him call
> me, I almost tipped the table over.  "Pretty
> exciting?"  You bet!  There's a nearly
> uncountably infinity of ways to enjoy this
> hobby.  And, after awhile, no one can ever beat
> you in a geography quiz, and you'll have
> international friends.  Welcome to the group Sean!
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW

Re: First QSO!

Sean, for 99.99% of hams, there really are no "knuckleheads."  Your call
gives you away, at least to me and I think many, as a new ham and
there's really nothing you can do that is going give us any heartburn
whatsoever.  We do have our yahoo's, thankfully they're a very small
minority, and if you ever hear one, ignore him [guaranteed he'll be
male], avoid 75m at night. :-)

If you try a contest, and you get the exchange wrong, it won't matter,
you'll get help.  Just get on the air as much as you can.  If you have
other outdoor interests ... hiking, backpacking, etc ... email me,
there's a bunch of connections.  This hobby is bigger than anyone can
really describe.

On 3/22/2014 7:00 PM, Sean Wall wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> It was on SSB, and yes, I was definitely nervous. In fact, I was mostly
> caught off guard when they replied because I had been calling CQ for a
> while and got no response and I had just scanned through the band when I
> heard W1AW/5 calling CQ. I tried it and - bam! - he replied back. I sent
> back my signal report and, like a knucklehead, asked what they were doing
> in region 5. He just laughed and told me he was working the ARRL centennial
> station in NM. Oops.

Re: First QSO!

Bill Frantz
If I count the number of dumb things I've done on the air I
might never again key the transmitter. :-) QRP can give you the
illusion of keeping a low profile.

It is like learning to speak a foreign language. You will make
mistakes. The vast majority of hams will be fairly gentle in
pointing them out, as are the native speakers of foreign
languages. And you will learn.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

On 3/22/14 at 7:00 PM, [hidden email] (Sean Wall) wrote:

>I sent
>back my signal report and, like a knucklehead, asked what they were doing
>in region 5. He just laughed and told me he was working the ARRL centennial
>station in NM. Oops.

Re: First QSO!

Dick Roth
May I add another congratulations, Sean!

I think we all remember our first QSO.  Mine was in 1960.  My call was
WV2LBV back then.  The rig was my first build from the ARRL Handbook
(6146 osc/amp) and of course since I was a rank novice it was rock
bound.  I had a very used Hallicrafters SX-99 for a receiver and a trap
dipole wrapped around the outside of the 4th floor of the apartment
building we lived in.  My first contact was in the Dakotas (memory fails
so I don't remember whether it was north or south).

I was nervous as all get out...knees knocking, key stuttering!  I also
discovered that if I didn't sit still my body would warp the crystal
frequency by capacitive coupling (very early FM).

No, I don't think any ham forgets that very first QSO.  What joy!

73 de Dick, ka1oz
Elecraft K3/100K #859
G5RV Doublet

[snip]

Re: First QSO!

Phil Hystad-3
Sean,

If you are interested in the W1AW QSO party for the centennial year, follow this link:

http://www.arrl.org/centennial-qso-party

The simple rules are to get all states but there are variations on modes and so on.  There is a schedule for the full year where you can see which states will be having W1AW stations operating.  It is located on the ARRL web site and you can probably find it from the link I included above.

This is a very casual contest but the trick is finding the different stations.  They are on multiple bands, operating with multiple modes although I am 100 percent CW on these.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Mar 22, 2014, at 7:00 PM, Sean Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> It was on SSB, and yes, I was definitely nervous. In fact, I was mostly caught off guard when they replied because I had been calling CQ for a while and got no response and I had just scanned through the band when I heard W1AW/5 calling CQ. I tried it and - bam! - he replied back. I sent back my signal report and, like a knucklehead, asked what they were doing in region 5. He just laughed and told me he was working the ARRL centennial station in NM. Oops.
>
> -Sean
> KK4YPE
>

> On Saturday, March 22, 2014, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Congratulations.  Were you as nervous as I remember being with my first about 50 years ago.  Was it CW or SSB with W1AW/5.  I picked up the NM W1AW/5  CW yesterday morning at 14.02525 MHz.
>
> Have fun...
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Mar 22, 2014, at 5:23 PM, Sean Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just wanted to let you know I got my first ever QSO today!  It was with an
> > ARRL Centennial station in New Mexico, W1AW/5.  I was on my KX3 with 10W
> > running into a 10m dipole. Pretty exciting!
> >
> > -Sean
> > KK4YPE

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: First QSO!

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Sean,

Please allow me to add my "congratulations" to this already long and august
list.  I, too, remember my first QSO, mere hours after my call appeared in
the FCC database.  It led me to  years of fun, a DXCC, several WAS, and
more intesting contacts than I can count.  Welcome to the hobby!

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA

Re: First QSO!

KC6CNN
Congratulations and welcome aboard. There will be many first to come. 1st
QSO , 1st DX many of us have been doing this for years, and still get
excited over different things.
You have chosen a great hobby. And  "when all else fails" you will be
communicating.
Congratulations again Sean
73's KC6CNN
Gerald
On Mar 22, 2014 7:23 PM, "Sean Wall" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just wanted to let you know I got my first ever QSO today!  It was with an
> ARRL Centennial station in New Mexico, W1AW/5.  I was on my KX3 with 10W
> running into a 10m dipole. Pretty exciting!
>
> -Sean
> KK4YPE

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294