Hello again fellow listers. I'm the guy who wondered whether an
inventory was important a couple weeks ago.
Well...yes it was! It made my "warm up" project, KX1 #2411, go very
smoothly with no errors and no desoldering.
I just had my first QSO, running on six "AA" alkaline cells and hooked
up to my 40 meter dipole up in my attic. I had the KX1 hooked up to my
switch-mode power supply but had forgotten to turn it on!! Thus the
battery contact.... Worked KN4ZQ in Palmyra, VA with a 229. That's a
good enough signal report for what must have been only one watt or so
and so-so band condx this morning. I still have to build and install
the autotuner and KX3080. On 7.022 my dipole's SWR was around 2:1
according to my MFJ259.
Now I'm really looking forward to building the K2!
Oh yes, the inventory...I did a complete inventory. I punched holes in
a few sheets of heavy cardstock and put them into a large three ring
binder. Then, as I inventoried each part, I Scotch taped it to the
cardstock and wrote its ID next to it. I organized it according to
capacitors, resistors, inductors, and so forth. For the components that
did not easily lend themselves to taping I put them into a muffin tin.
The ESD-sensitive stuff I kept in the appropriate packaging. As I
built, I double checked each component's value with my Fluke DMM. I
used the Toroid Guy's coils and that really was a worthwhile investment
of a few bucks. I have them for the K2 also.
The instructions were excellent with the same kind of attention to
detail that I remember from Heathkit. I was skeptical that all those
controls would line up and fit in the case and that the battery
clearance would work out. No problem!