Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Elecraft mailing list
Four Elecraft Digests in one day is more than I can swallow.  As I  attempt
to wade through the messages, I find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem
worthy of taking up everyone's time.  Microphones, seriously?

With this much message traffic, is there a better way?

73, George, K5KG

George  Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL  34242
941-400-1960

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Jim Bolit
.

Nope
JimW6AIM

.

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

George,

Yes, I believe there is a 'better way'.  It takes 3 steps.
1) Change your subscription to individual emails
2) In your email client create a folder named "Elecraft" or any other
name you choose.
3) Also in your email client, create a filter that moves any email with
[Elecraft] in the subject line to the Elecraft folder.

Now you have you own personal "digest" in your email.
You can quickly scan through it exercising the delete key for those
posts that are not of interest, and you can easily reply to any one of
them - Reply should go only to the sender, Reply All will go to the list
and the sender, and Reply To List (if your email client has it) will
reply only to the list.

On 9/20/2015 8:33 AM, George via Elecraft wrote:
> Four Elecraft Digests in one day is more than I can swallow.  As I  attempt
> to wade through the messages, I find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem
> worthy of taking up everyone's time.  Microphones, seriously?

Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Guy Olinger K2AV
Paradoxically, the digest mode seems least useful for large amounts of
traffic. It was originally designed for very slow circuits to end users
when individual fetches were problematic. Decades later systems like Gmail
handle that seamlessly and allow individual sorting of email to taste.

With my smartphone and the Gmail app I can sort out mail I **don't** want
to read, by visually scanning subject lines in just a few seconds. If there
are thirty posts on the same subject and thread they come up as a single
subject line, not thirty scattered around on separate lines.

Then tap tap tap tap on unwanted subject lines to highlight them. Tap on
the garbage can icon to send them to the folder that deletes them
automatically after thirty days.

The alternative is mail censorship or endless bickering about what and how
much ought to be on the reflector.

Having learned to use Gmail's filters, over time a personal collection
of filters plus the Gmail web or smartphone app can deal with even a
hundred Elecraft emails in a minute or two.

That does not include the time to read, absorb, and respond to the email
you have *chosen* to actually read.

Email today is way better as a process than what was going on when digest
mode was invented. To me anyway, it's mildly mystifying that anyone still
uses digest mode.

73, Guy K2AV

On Sunday, September 20, 2015, George via Elecraft <[hidden email]
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:

> Four Elecraft Digests in one day is more than I can swallow.  As I  attempt
> to wade through the messages, I find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem
> worthy of taking up everyone's time.  Microphones, seriously?
>
> With this much message traffic, is there a better way?
>
> 73, George, K5KG
>
> George  Wagner, K5KG
> Sarasota, FL  34242
> 941-400-1960

Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I too became annoyed of the mass amount of e-mails received and changed
to the "digest" mode.    That, in my opinion, proved to be less than
satisfactory as well, although those are much easier to delete as done
one key stroke.     I went back to the regular e-mail distribution and
elect to use the DELETE function very aggressively as most e-mails do
not apply to my needs or interest.   I guess there is no happy medium
for me.

73 Bob, K4TAX
  K3S s/n 10,163

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

k5wmg
My only issue is that while I surely admire the K3 and K3s, I'm really only
interested in the posts on the KX so I do a lot of deleting also. This is a
marvelous list and one of the few where there is no doubt an answer will be
forthcoming from either a member or Eric. Wish it was a little more
specific to my needs, but read it all day long nonetheless.

Mike, k5wmg
Bella-Green Bed & Breakfast
www.bella-green.com

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I too became annoyed of the mass amount of e-mails received and changed to
> the "digest" mode.    That, in my opinion, proved to be less than
> satisfactory as well, although those are much easier to delete as done one
> key stroke.     I went back to the regular e-mail distribution and elect to
> use the DELETE function very aggressively as most e-mails do not apply to
> my needs or interest.   I guess there is no happy medium for me.
>
> 73 Bob, K4TAX
>  K3S s/n 10,163

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Sebastian, W4AS
I only wish.  By far this mailing list has the most off topic posts than any of the others I read.  I wish Eric would just create an “Elecraft Off-Topic” list.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

> On Sep 20, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Jim Bolit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> .
>
> Nope
> JimW6AIM
>
> .

Phil Wheeler-2
George,

Re mics: Most Elecraft rigs do SSB, so mics are an
apt topic. Some work well, some don't, and wiring
is an issue -- as are such subtleties as bias vs.
no bias, etc.

I'm surprised you say "Microphones, seriously?";
but there are likely topics where I could say
"xyz, seriously?" and get a similar response.

OTOH -- the filtering suggestions on all msgs
offered do work, as does the DEL key.

73, Phil W7OX

On 9/20/15 5:33 AM, George via Elecraft wrote:

> Four Elecraft Digests in one day is more than I can swallow.  As I  attempt
> to wade through the messages, I find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem
> worthy of taking up everyone's time.  Microphones, seriously?
>
> With this much message traffic, is there a better way?
>
> 73, George, K5KG
>
> George  Wagner, K5KG
> Sarasota, FL  34242
> 941-400-1960

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

N7US
I do as Don recommends but also have another rule in Outlook, my email
client, to move Elecraft reflector emails with subjects I'm not following to
a separate subfolder.  The rules work if the sender remembers to include the
radio or whatever (e.g., [K3], [KX3], etc.) in the subject line.

I have that rule at the top of my Outlook rules so it's processed on
incoming emails first.

73, Jim N7US

Yes, I believe there is a 'better way'.  It takes 3 steps.
1) Change your subscription to individual emails
2) In your email client create a folder named "Elecraft" or any other name
you choose.
3) Also in your email client, create a filter that moves any email with
[Elecraft] in the subject line to the Elecraft folder.

Now you have you own personal "digest" in your email.
You can quickly scan through it exercising the delete key for those posts
that are not of interest, and you can easily reply to any one of them -
Reply should go only to the sender, Reply All will go to the list and the
sender, and Reply To List (if your email client has it) will reply only to
the list.

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
There is a pretty wonderful program called POPFILE that will work with
Thunderbird and classify your mail.

The technique is kind of like the spam filter in Thunderbird.  You start
by tagging a message or two for each topic/folder, and then you classify
when it gets it wrong.  After a few days, the sorting becomes quite
accurate, and you rarely have to touch it.

I don't use it currently because quite frankly, in my opinion, this list
is a little bit slow, and the traffic is easily managed.  I at least
skim the first part of every message.

73 -- Lynn

On 9/20/2015 7:25 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

> I too became annoyed of the mass amount of e-mails received and
> changed to the "digest" mode.    That, in my opinion, proved to be
> less than satisfactory as well, although those are much easier to
> delete as done one key stroke.     I went back to the regular e-mail
> distribution and elect to use the DELETE function very aggressively as
> most e-mails do not apply to my needs or interest.   I guess there is
> no happy medium for me.
>
> 73 Bob, K4TAX
>  K3S s/n 10,163

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Wes (N7WS)
I fail to see what all the hand wringing is all about. I don't filter anything.

On 9/20/2015 8:54 AM, Wes (N7WS) wrote:
> I fail to see what all the hand wringing is all about. I don't filter
> anything.
POPFILE is a classifier, not a filter.  It will do a great job sorting
by topic.

I have used it in the past.  It'll work with any POP3 account and real
mail client.

73 -- Lynn

On Sun,9/20/2015 5:33 AM, George via Elecraft wrote:
> With this much message traffic, is there a better way?

Sure. Stop using the digest -- it only makes things worse. Instead, use
email software that allows you to set up filters to sort all the emails
from a given reflector into its own mailbox. Now, you can quickly glance
at each to see of it interests you and use your delete key liberally
when it does not.

I use Thunderbird, which is free and works really well.

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

David Gilbert

Sure, it's easy ... just don't use the digests.  If you get all the
messages individually it is trivial to scan through the message titles
and delete the ones you don't want to see.  That allows you to set up
manual filters, or in my case, I can literally manually cull the 60 or
70 messages I get per day in about ten seconds.

I don't see why any of this is so difficult ...

Dave   AB7E

On 9/20/2015 5:33 AM, George via Elecraft wrote:

> Four Elecraft Digests in one day is more than I can swallow.  As I  attempt
> to wade through the messages, I find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem
> worthy of taking up everyone's time.  Microphones, seriously?
>
> With this much message traffic, is there a better way?
>
> 73, George, K5KG
>
> George  Wagner, K5KG
> Sarasota, FL  34242
> 941-400-1960

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Josh Fiden
Sending with a straight key:
CQ CQ DE W6XU W6XU K

is the same effort as deleting 53 off topic emails.

Perspective...hi!

73,
Josh

Sent from my mobile device

> as does the DEL key.

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

David Gilbert

I meant setting up *automatic* filters, which any credible mail app
should be able to do with ease.

Using the digest is like asking the USPS mailman to open all your mail
ahead of time and put all the materials in the same envelope.

Dave   AB7E

On 9/20/2015 9:54 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Sure, it's easy ... just don't use the digests.  If you get all the
> messages individually it is trivial to scan through the message titles
> and delete the ones you don't want to see.  That allows you to set up
> manual filters, or in my case, I can literally manually cull the 60 or
> 70 messages I get per day in about ten seconds.
>
> I don't see why any of this is so difficult ...
>
> Dave   AB7E

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

May we ALL sit for a minute and ponder.How many of these posts Eric has to read on any given day?!!!!

((((73)))) Milverton / W9MMS.

Sure, it's easy ... just don't use the digests.  If you get all the
messages individually it is trivial to scan through the message titles
and delete the ones you don't want to see.  That allows you to set up
manual filters, or in my case, I can literally manually cull the 60 or
70 messages I get per day in about ten seconds.

I don't see why any of this is so difficult ...

Dave  AB7E

On 9/20/2015 5:33 AM, George via Elecraft wrote:

> Four Elecraft Digests in one day is more than I can swallow.  As I  attempt
> to wade through the messages, I find a lot of stuff that doesn't seem
> worthy of taking up everyone's time.  Microphones, seriously?

> With this much message traffic, is there a better way?

> 73, George, K5KG

> George  Wagner, K5KG
> Sarasota, FL  34242
> 941-400-1960

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Jim Low man
And how many messages has this comment spawned, for those of us who
aren't on digest mode?
Talk about cluttering the list!

73 de Jim - AD6CW

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Fred Smith-2
My thoughts exactly.
Fred  N0AZZ

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message --------From: Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> Date: 09/20/2015  6:53 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Four Elecraft Digests in one day
And how many messages has this comment spawned, for those of us who
aren't on digest mode?
Talk about cluttering the list!

73 de Jim - AD6CW

Re: Four Elecraft Digests in one day

Chris Hallinan
<DELETE>

;)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM, mfsj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My thoughts exactly.
> Fred  N0AZZ
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone--------
> Original message --------From: Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> Date:
> 09/20/2015  6:53 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: [hidden email] Subject:
> Re: [Elecraft] Four Elecraft Digests in one day
> And how many messages has this comment spawned, for those of us who
> aren't on digest mode?
> Talk about cluttering the list!
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW

Life is like Linux - it never stands still.