Fully automatic operation of the K3 and KAT500 during TUNE mode?

Fully automatic operation of the K3 and KAT500 during TUNE mode?

AC6JA
Just wondering if the K3 and KAT500 are capable of fully automatic TUNE
operation?
What I mean is, is there any way you can just push the TUNE button on the
K3 (or the KAT500 for that matter), have the K3 transmit a carrier (25-30w),
 have the KAT500 tune the antenna, and then have the K3 AUTOMATICALLY go
back  into receive mode?
I believe the LDG tuners work this way.
I still have to manually initiate the TUNE sequence at the K3 and then
manually end the TUNE cycle by pushing TUNE again to get the K3 back into
receive mode.
Or am I doing it wrong?  Let me know.
Other than that, I'm  very happy with the tuner and it works great!

Mike   AC6JA

Re: Fully automatic operation of the K3 and KAT500 during TUNE mode?

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
That sort of integration is not implemented yet, but AUXBUS
communication will allow for it, so expect to see something along the
lines of what you describe in future firmware releases (both KAT500
and K3).

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wondering if the K3 and KAT500 are capable of fully automatic TUNE
> operation?
> What I mean is, is there any way you can just push the TUNE button on the
> K3 (or the KAT500 for that matter), have the K3 transmit a carrier (25-30w),
>  have the KAT500 tune the antenna, and then have the K3 AUTOMATICALLY go
> back  into receive mode?
> I believe the LDG tuners work this way.
> I still have to manually initiate the TUNE sequence at the K3 and then
> manually end the TUNE cycle by pushing TUNE again to get the K3 back into
> receive mode.
> Or am I doing it wrong?  Let me know.
> Other than that, I'm  very happy with the tuner and it works great!
>
> Mike   AC6JA

Re: Fully automatic operation of the K3 and KAT500 during TUNE mode?

N5GE-2
For now you can attach a straight key and hold it down when you want
to do a manual tune and release it when the tuner stops tuning,
although I don't see the problem with two holds of the tune button.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 14:22:03 -0500 (EST), [hidden email] wrote:

>Just wondering if the K3 and KAT500 are capable of fully automatic TUNE
>operation?
>What I mean is, is there any way you can just push the TUNE button on the
>K3 (or the KAT500 for that matter), have the K3 transmit a carrier (25-30w),
> have the KAT500 tune the antenna, and then have the K3 AUTOMATICALLY go
>back  into receive mode?
>I believe the LDG tuners work this way.
>I still have to manually initiate the TUNE sequence at the K3 and then
>manually end the TUNE cycle by pushing TUNE again to get the K3 back into
>receive mode.
>Or am I doing it wrong?  Let me know.
>Other than that, I'm  very happy with the tuner and it works great!
>
>Mike   AC6JA

Re: Fully automatic operation of the K3 and KAT500 during TUNE mode?

Gary Gregory
After you set your preferred antennas to the bands you want etc...do tune
on say CW portion, then a couple of times through the SSB portions to
create 'store point in the kat500 memory bins'

>From this point on, no manual initiation of tuning is needed.

When the KAT500 reaches the threshold you set, it will flash to alert you
to press the tune button (or press a straight key) and you can also set a
Bypass threshold so that the kat500 will go into bypass when not needed.

I use this setup daily and no issues here.

I run the kat500 in AUTO all the time.

regards,
Gary

On 18 November 2012 15:20, N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For now you can attach a straight key and hold it down when you want
> to do a manual tune and release it when the tuner stops tuning,
> although I don't see the problem with two holds of the tune button.
>
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member
>
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 14:22:03 -0500 (EST), [hidden email] wrote:
>
> >Just wondering if the K3 and KAT500 are capable of fully automatic TUNE
> >operation?
> >What I mean is, is there any way you can just push the TUNE button on the
> >K3 (or the KAT500 for that matter), have the K3 transmit a carrier
> (25-30w),
> > have the KAT500 tune the antenna, and then have the K3 AUTOMATICALLY go
> >back  into receive mode?
> >I believe the LDG tuners work this way.
> >I still have to manually initiate the TUNE sequence at the K3 and then
> >manually end the TUNE cycle by pushing TUNE again to get the K3 back into
> >receive mode.
> >Or am I doing it wrong?  Let me know.
> >Other than that, I'm  very happy with the tuner and it works great!
> >
> >Mike   AC6JA
> >Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KX3 #2122
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007
P3 #1629

Re: Fully automatic operation of the K3 and KAT500 during TUNE mode?

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Hi Ron,

That's true, but in order to do the initial "full tune" for each band
[segment], you (currently) need to manually start and stop the ~20W
signal from the K3.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML