Future KX3/KX2 accessories?

J Robert Witmer
First on my list would be a version of the KX3 Utility and any required associated interface HW, that could directly interface with IOS devices.

Bob W3RW

Re: Future KX3/KX2 accessories?

I would like to have new card for the KX2. Replace the KXIO2 Aux/RTC card
with a RTC/IQ to send IQ to a PX3. The PX3 is great with the KX3, now how
about  the KX2?
73,
Jim H
K7SSS

In a message dated 3/29/2017 6:42:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Hi  all,

The weather's been great in the Bay Area lately. That always makes  us want
to escape the lab for microDXpeditions to local parks, trails,  beaches,
and summits. This is what the KX-line is all about.

Here's  your chance to get us back into the lab :)  What future
accessories,  antennas, etc. would you like to see for the KX-line?

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to  [hidden email]

Re: Future KX3/KX2 accessories?

My wish list includes a mini hand mic without the spiral cable for hiking/SOTA applications. The KX2 is so small and light the stretchy mic cable often yanks the radio out of position - especially when you have it sitting on a rock on the ground. Just use the same cable as what is used for the audio cables, and make it 3 or 4 feet long. A smaller mic housing would be great as well. The MH3 is massive in relation to the KX2.
I realize memory is probably very tight, but if we could somehow get 2 minutes of continuous recording, it would be possible to record a WSPR transmission and transmit it manually in the field without a computer/smartphone.
I would also love to see the option to replace all the knobs on the KX2 with a low profile set, so the entire radio is more compact, and fits better inside of the various Pelican cases and carrying pouches. In the field I don't spin the knobs much anyway.
If the hardware is capable, a dimmable backlight would be handy.
I'm all for any new or more convenient portable antennas. Whether they're wire or compact loaded whips (like the MFJ-18xx series).
Compact battery charger for the KX2. The standard charger is huge.
Thanks!LukeAD0KI

Re: Future KX3/KX2 accessories?

vk3byd
Sorry if you have this more than once, but I cannot get the KX Yahoo group
to post my messages.

Good question Wayne,
For me it's the KX2 battery, the space for internal battery is limited in
size and original pack is difficult to source in VK.
A larger bottom plate that would accommodate a larger range of batteries
would be nice. Maybe even a AA cell holder. This would allow some
flexibility when travel both by air and when using the rig on a multi-day
walking trip.

As for software changes,
Using the OFS mode for Course tuning and the Main VFO knob for Fine tuning
is great but this is at the expense of the DISPlay function.

It would be great to leave the VFO B display set as DISPlay but still have
the option to Course tune via the VFO B Knob, rather than changing the
tuning rate of the Main VFO knob between course and fine when DISPlay is on.
This would be similar to how the TEXT DECODE mode works, and would allow the
operator to leave the DISPlay on Voltage, Clock or whatever they wanted and
still have course tuning.
Another advantage of this feature is it allows the Main VFO Knob to be
locked thus reducing the Bump and QSY risk.

Implementation could be via a new option in the Menu setup, VFO B display
[VFO B or DISP] when in OFS Mode.
Or maybe When OFS On, Display [VFO B, Voltage, Time, Ah etc..]

73,
Warren, vk3byd KX2 # 479

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 18:35:21 -0700
From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
To: Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>,
        "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft] Future KX3/KX2 accessories?

Hi all,

The weather's been great in the Bay Area lately. That always makes us want
to escape the lab for microDXpeditions to local parks, trails, beaches, and
summits. This is what the KX-line is all about.

Here's your chance to get us back into the lab :)  What future accessories,
antennas, etc. would you like to see for the KX-line?

Re: Future KX3/KX2 accessories?

Holger Schurig-2
Opensource KX3Utilities (and KX2Utilities) so that people can compile it by
themselves for x86, amd_64, arm (e.g. Raspberry), Android, MacOSX, Windows
CE, normal Windows and so on. Qt5 plus some simple C++ is an awesome
programming environment.

Elecraft could only compile it for, e.g. Windows, but keep the source on
Github so people can contribute if needed. But usually you don't have to
apply any OS specific things, even the serial port is nicely abstracted
from OS to OS.