Future Kradio?

Ray Coles
If the Elecraft R&D team is looking for inspiration on future products then
my wish list would include a KX3 sized radio covering the V/UHF bands from
6m through 70cm (at least).

Ray M0XDL

Ray Coles, C.Eng. M0XDL

10 Littlemoor Road,

Weymouth DT3 6AA

Tel: +44 (0) 1305 833699

Mob: 07831 516517

Re: Future Kradio?

Gil G.
I would like to see a merging of the K1 and KX1 into a tiny surface-mount CW radio… KX2?

Gil.

Re: Future Kradio?

Roger Dallimore-2
That would get my attention!

Roger MW0IDX

On 21/08/2013 19:08, Gil G. wrote:
> I would like to see a merging of the K1 and KX1 into a tiny surface-mount CW radio… KX2?
>
> Gil.

Re: Future Kradio?

Eric J
The charm of the K1 is that it is NOT a tiny surface mount CW radio.
My K1 gets dusty from camping. My KX1 gets dusty from the shelf.

Eric
KE6US

On 8/21/2013 11:08 AM, Gil G. wrote:

> I would like to see a merging of the K1 and KX1 into a tiny surface-mount CW radio… KX2?
>
> Gil.

Re: Future Kradio?

Gil G.
On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 12:24 -0700, EricJ wrote:
> The charm of the K1 is that it is NOT a tiny surface mount CW radio.
> My K1 gets dusty from camping. My KX1 gets dusty from the shelf.
> Eric

Certainly.. I built one, and it is a great radio. I would think the KX1
would make a better camping radio though.. Why do you prefer the K1 in
the field? When I go camping, I take my Weber MTR with me while my K1
and KX3 stay home. I am talking real camping here, where you have to
hike miles to get there and there are no facilities... I would actually
take my K1 before my KX3, because the latest does cost more and is
bigger..
I might yet build a KX1 because of the four bands and the included
batteries.. I am waiting to see what the next Weber MTR will offer, but
I might lose patience and pull the trigger on a KX1..
Of course if Elecraft would make say, a three-band surface-mount kit,
I'd buy it immediately. I was worried bout building the MTR, but
surface-mount kits are really not much harder than through-hole ones,
except that the components being smaller, they are harder to identify
and easier to lose. I built my MTR with a fine-tip soldering iron. It
was much easier than I thought. The hardest being the ICs..
My KX3, surprisingly, though it is my best radio, gets used the least..

Gil.

Re: Future K-radio?

Lewis Phelps
There's a niche in the ham radio market that once was filled by the Yaesu FT-736. Even though it's semi-obsolete technologically, mediocre in receive quality, and known to have a number of maintenance issues, the '736 still is going on eBay for $700 to $1,000, depending on which modules it has installed.

So my "ideal" for a new K-line would be a K3-sized "box" that would essentially be a motherboard providing a 50 mHz transceiver and IF strip, with daughter board slots for a number of transverter boards, starting at 2 meters and going all the way to light....well, at least to 1296.  I'll call this the K4 for convenience.

Alternatively, one could design a single box that would contain multiple transverters, which would plug into the K3 transverter input.  This would no doubt be less costly, since it would not need to replicate the K3 transceiver circuitry to provide 50 mHz IF strip and the 6 meter  transceiver.  Preamps would be built into the new K4 or K-Line daughter boards, rather than attaching to the BNC plugs on the K3. This product might be called the XV-ALL.

Either product/rig would be great for VHF-UHF contesting, moon-bounce (I think the original market target for the '736) and other weak signal V/UHF work.

Frequency switching should be provided on each board so that the entire available band (e.g. 420-450 Mhz) would be available even with an IF strip of only 4 mhz wide.  And, ideally, some way to allow 70 cm repeater work even with the standard 5 mhz repeater offset on that band.

The "footprint" for the main circuit board of XV series transverters is about 50 square inches; a daughter board running front to back and standing edge-on a K3-sized motherboard would have about 25 square inches, so you might need two boards for each band module, or perhaps engineered from scratch it could be shrunk to fit. It should be relatively easy to fit four daughter boards into a fully separate "k-4" and perhaps 6 into an XV-ALL. The latter would give a weak signal VHF enthusiast access to 2M, 1.25m,70 cm, 33 cm, 23 cm, 13 cm, and maybe one or two more if you picked up 2M with a KXV2 in your K3.

We'd love to see separate amps in the 100 to 300 watt range for each band, as well....since this is all wish-list stuff anyway.

Meanwhile, thanks to the folks at Elecraft for building and supporting great radios!

Lew

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10
Yaesu FT-7800
[hidden email]
www.ntlew.us

On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:14 AM, Ray Coles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the Elecraft R&D team is looking for inspiration on future products then
> my wish list would include a KX3 sized radio covering the V/UHF bands from
> 6m through 70cm (at least).
>
> Ray M0XDL
>

> Ray Coles, C.Eng. M0XDL
>
> 10 Littlemoor Road,
>
> Weymouth DT3 6AA
>
> Tel: +44 (0) 1305 833699
>
> Mob: 07831 516517

Re: Future K-radio?

Rick WA6NHC
I like it but add full duplex, rotator control, automatic Doppler shift and crossband ability.  Plus native Bluetooth as a fourth audio source or control option and USB (control with audio) for a fifth option.

Making it an optional network appliance would simplify remoting too, just plug in the RJ-45, port forward and you're golden.

And since we're dreaming out loud, to hear a digital mode on one receiver and transmit that data in another digital mode on another band (PSK in, packet out).

Basically, build it around a laptop for the extra computing power, and add a solid state hard drive to store operating modes, different users, styles or interconnect setups.

The only 'real' issues are cost (OW!!!) and keeping the energy budget low and tight per normal Elecraft style.

Rick wa6nhc

Tiny iPhone 5 keypad, typos are inevitable

On Aug 22, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Lewis Phelps <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So my "ideal" for a new K-line would be a K3-sized "box" that would essentially be a motherboard providing a 50 mHz transceiver and IF strip, with daughter board slots for a number of transverter boards, starting at 2 meters and going all the way to light....well, at least to 1296.  I'll call this the K4 for convenience.

2M module

Jeff Herr
this would be a good thread.

with the amp almost here..
..and all the thought toward the future..
...what is the scoop with this accessory?

WW6L

Re: 2M module

Robert Vargas (KP4Y)
Precisely...I made the same question and someone said it's been discussed in the KX3 reflector. I couldn't find such thread. I sold my FT-897D to partially fund the KX3, believing it wouldn't long before the 2M module came out. It's been more than a year without 2M module and VHF capability. I drank the kool aid (K3, KPA500 and KX3), but I must admit this has been very disappointing.

73,
Robert-KP4Y

________________________________
..and all the thought toward the future..
...what is the scoop with this accessory?

WW6L

Re: 2M module

Fred Smith
I think they went with the right option first the amp and tuner to make the
KX3 a full blown desktop radio a smart move IMHO. It also will produce the
greatest amount of return good business since and profitability. The 2m
mogul I think will not have nearly as many buyers as the amp/tuner because
of the power output on 2m with the KX3. If you must have a QRP rig with 2m
buy an old FT-817 non D model there cheap and have a backup radio then when
you think you really need 2m take it with you. I have one sitting here in
the shack right now.

I guess if I die before it ships that I really didn't need one anyway 8>).

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

..and all the thought toward the future..
...what is the scoop with this accessory?

WW6L

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: 2M module

Tim Hague
Could someone tell us non Americans what Kool Aid is?, and if it's so good for stress where can we get it?

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:04, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think they went with the right option first the amp and tuner to make the
> KX3 a full blown desktop radio a smart move IMHO. It also will produce the
> greatest amount of return good business since and profitability. The 2m
> mogul I think will not have nearly as many buyers as the amp/tuner because
> of the power output on 2m with the KX3. If you must have a QRP rig with 2m
> buy an old FT-817 non D model there cheap and have a backup radio then when
> you think you really need 2m take it with you. I have one sitting here in
> the shack right now.
>
> I guess if I die before it ships that I really didn't need one anyway 8>).
>

> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ
> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Stewart@twinwood
It's an acceptable alternative to American Beer...

:-)

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:32:48 +0100, Tim Hague wrote:
> Could someone tell us non Americans what Kool Aid is?, and if it's so good for
stress where can we get it?

> Best regards, Tim Hague
> Skype m0afj.Tim
> Sent on my iPad
>

> On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:04, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think they went with the right option first the amp and tuner to make the
>> KX3 a full blown desktop radio a smart move IMHO. It also will produce the
>> greatest amount of return good business since and profitability. The 2m
>> mogul I think will not have nearly as many buyers as the amp/tuner because
>> of the power output on 2m with the KX3. If you must have a QRP rig with 2m
>> buy an old FT-817 non D model there cheap and have a backup radio then when
>> you think you really need 2m take it with you. I have one sitting here in
>> the shack right now.
>>
>> I guess if I die before it ships that I really didn't need one anyway 8>).
>>

>> 73,
>> Fred/N0AZZ
>> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
>> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Everything is an acceptable alternative to American Beer lol

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:53, Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's an acceptable alternative to American Beer...
>
> :-)
>
> 73
> Stewart G3RXQ
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:32:48 +0100, Tim Hague wrote:
>> Could someone tell us non Americans what Kool Aid is?, and if it's so good for
> stress where can we get it?
>>
>> Best regards, Tim Hague
>> Skype m0afj.Tim
>> Sent on my iPad
>>

>> On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:04, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I think they went with the right option first the amp and tuner to make the
>>> KX3 a full blown desktop radio a smart move IMHO. It also will produce the
>>> greatest amount of return good business since and profitability. The 2m
>>> mogul I think will not have nearly as many buyers as the amp/tuner because
>>> of the power output on 2m with the KX3. If you must have a QRP rig with 2m
>>> buy an old FT-817 non D model there cheap and have a backup radio then when
>>> you think you really need 2m take it with you. I have one sitting here in
>>> the shack right now.
>>>
>>> I guess if I die before it ships that I really didn't need one anyway 8>).
>>>

>>> 73,
>>> Fred/N0AZZ
>>> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
>>> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Bill Hammond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
............."Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a metaphor commonly used in the United States that refers to a person or group holding an unquestioned belief, argument, or philosophy without critical examination. The phrase typically carries a negative connotation when applied to an individual or group"...........

On Aug 23, 2013, at 1:32 AM, Tim Hague wrote:

> Could someone tell us non Americans what Kool Aid is?, and if it's so good for stress where can we get it?
>
> Best regards, Tim Hague
> Skype m0afj.Tim
> Sent on my iPad
>

> On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:04, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think they went with the right option first the amp and tuner to make the
>> KX3 a full blown desktop radio a smart move IMHO. It also will produce the
>> greatest amount of return good business since and profitability. The 2m
>> mogul I think will not have nearly as many buyers as the amp/tuner because
>> of the power output on 2m with the KX3. If you must have a QRP rig with 2m
>> buy an old FT-817 non D model there cheap and have a backup radio then when
>> you think you really need 2m take it with you. I have one sitting here in
>> the shack right now.
>>
>> I guess if I die before it ships that I really didn't need one anyway 8>).
>>

>> 73,
>> Fred/N0AZZ
>> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
>> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

[OT] American Beer, was: 2M module

Bill Frantz
I was in the Czech Republic last month for a caving conference.
A large number of us were traveling on a railroad from Prague to
Brno in a hired dining car. The only beer available on the menu
was Budweiser. We Americans almost rioted until the Czechs
explained that the beer was Budvar, a German light larger whose
maker is in a trademark dispute with the American Budweiser.

American craft brewers, a movement started by Fritz Maytag's
Anchor Steam beer, make creditable beers. This movement is
similar in goals to the British Real Beer movement. Good locally
made beers are available almost everywhere in the US these days
at small breweries with attached pubs and in stores.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/1

On 8/23/13 at 12:28 AM, [hidden email] (Tim Hague) wrote:

>Everything is an acceptable alternative to American Beer lol
>

>On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:53, Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>It's an acceptable alternative to American Beer...
>>
>>:-)

Re: [OT] American Beer, was: 2M module

Tim Hague
Definitely OT but a subject dear to a Brits heart!, the story of Budvar and Budweiser is interesting and worth looking up, Budvar is certainly worth drinking, Budweiser.....well...

Yes I spend a lot of time in the US, I lived in Texas for a year in the mid 80s and beer was a problem, these days you have seen the light!  I've even seen proper English beer pumps serving real ale in PA.

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 23 Aug 2013, at 15:39, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was in the Czech Republic last month for a caving conference. A large number of us were traveling on a railroad from Prague to Brno in a hired dining car. The only beer available on the menu was Budweiser. We Americans almost rioted until the Czechs explained that the beer was Budvar, a German light larger whose maker is in a trademark dispute with the American Budweiser.
>
> American craft brewers, a movement started by Fritz Maytag's Anchor Steam beer, make creditable beers. This movement is similar in goals to the British Real Beer movement. Good locally made beers are available almost everywhere in the US these days at small breweries with attached pubs and in stores.
>
> Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/1
>
> On 8/23/13 at 12:28 AM, [hidden email] (Tim Hague) wrote:
>
>> Everything is an acceptable alternative to American Beer lol
>>

>> On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:53, Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It's an acceptable alternative to American Beer...
>>>
>>> :-)

Re: [OT] American Beer, was: 2M module

Stewart@twinwood
My first visit to the US was in 1971. I spent 9 weeks in Anaheim CA.
Too much fun to be homesick. The only thing I missed was decent beer.

Apart from a pint of Watneys Red Barrel on the QE2 at Long Beach and some
Guiness in a bar that a sales rep had left a crate on approval, it was a pretty
dry time.

Since then I have been back to the US many times both on business and pleasure.
Whether the UK Real Ale movement can take any credit I don't know, but each
visit gets better beer wise. Micro Breweries and locally produced  beers are
making a big difference.

This year we managed to travel to Chicago, Vegas, Memphis and Nashville
"sampling" great beers at every opportunity...

Cheers & Beers
Stewart G3RXQ

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:39:36 -0700, Bill Frantz wrote:

> I was in the Czech Republic last month for a caving conference.
> A large number of us were traveling on a railroad from Prague to
> Brno in a hired dining car. The only beer available on the menu
> was Budweiser. We Americans almost rioted until the Czechs
> explained that the beer was Budvar, a German light larger whose
> maker is in a trademark dispute with the American Budweiser.
>
> American craft brewers, a movement started by Fritz Maytag's
> Anchor Steam beer, make creditable beers. This movement is
> similar in goals to the British Real Beer movement. Good locally
> made beers are available almost everywhere in the US these days
> at small breweries with attached pubs and in stores.
>
> Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/1
>
> On 8/23/13 at 12:28 AM, [hidden email] (Tim Hague) wrote:
>
>>Everything is an acceptable alternative to American Beer lol
>>

>>On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:53, Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>It's an acceptable alternative to American Beer...
>>>
>>>:-)

Re: [OT] American Beer, was: 2M module

Keith Heimbold
Got to comment on a local San Diego brewery that may or may not be well known called Stone brewery. They have some great beers in the IPA realm; Arrogant Bastard, Self Righteous, Ruination to name a few. Pliny the elder from Russian River Northern California is a superb IPA too.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Aug 23, 2013, at 8:47 AM, "Stewart" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My first visit to the US was in 1971. I spent 9 weeks in Anaheim CA.
> Too much fun to be homesick. The only thing I missed was decent beer.
>
> Apart from a pint of Watneys Red Barrel on the QE2 at Long Beach and some
> Guiness in a bar that a sales rep had left a crate on approval, it was a pretty
> dry time.
>
> Since then I have been back to the US many times both on business and pleasure.
> Whether the UK Real Ale movement can take any credit I don't know, but each
> visit gets better beer wise. Micro Breweries and locally produced  beers are
> making a big difference.
>
> This year we managed to travel to Chicago, Vegas, Memphis and Nashville
> "sampling" great beers at every opportunity...
>
> Cheers & Beers
> Stewart G3RXQ
>
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:39:36 -0700, Bill Frantz wrote:
>> I was in the Czech Republic last month for a caving conference.
>> A large number of us were traveling on a railroad from Prague to
>> Brno in a hired dining car. The only beer available on the menu
>> was Budweiser. We Americans almost rioted until the Czechs
>> explained that the beer was Budvar, a German light larger whose
>> maker is in a trademark dispute with the American Budweiser.
>>
>> American craft brewers, a movement started by Fritz Maytag's
>> Anchor Steam beer, make creditable beers. This movement is
>> similar in goals to the British Real Beer movement. Good locally
>> made beers are available almost everywhere in the US these days
>> at small breweries with attached pubs and in stores.
>>
>> Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/1
>>
>> On 8/23/13 at 12:28 AM, [hidden email] (Tim Hague) wrote:
>>
>>> Everything is an acceptable alternative to American Beer lol

Re: 2M module

Wes (N7WS)
Actually, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of craft brewers in the USA
producing beer the equal of or superior to non-American brews.

And don't forget, most of the mass produced "American" beers are from companies
started by "Germans" and are now owned by foreign companies.  So they're not
American anyway.

Wes  N7WS

On 8/23/2013 12:28 AM, Tim Hague wrote:

> Everything is an acceptable alternative to American Beer lol
>
> Best regards, Tim Hague
> Skype m0afj.Tim
> Sent on my iPad
>

> On 23 Aug 2013, at 07:53, Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's an acceptable alternative to American Beer...
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> 73
>> Stewart G3RXQ
>> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:32:48 +0100, Tim Hague wrote:
>>> Could someone tell us non Americans what Kool Aid is?, and if it's so good for
>> stress where can we get it?
>>> Best regards, Tim Hague
>>> Skype m0afj.Tim
>>> Sent on my iPad

Re: [OT] American Beer, was: 2M module

Edward R Cole
Wow, talk about off topic...well
As a young man growing up in Michigan it was Carling and Shlitz and
rhymed with ....  OK, I'll keep it clean!
I never cared for beer in those years (because all that we had was
American beer).

Now I enjoy an occasional dark beer or ale. Alaska has pretty active
group of micro-brewers.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
[hidden email]