HI SIG Error on K3

K4MWB
Recently after updating firmware I started getting a HI SIG error in the Display's VFO B position when I power up the K3. I can power down the K3 with the HI SIG error showing, then immediately power it back on, and all works fine. Tried removing all antennas and 6m preamp, no change. Reloaded firmware, no change. When the K3 powers back up after the error, I noticed all instances of PRE are gone and ATT appears on the display.  Does anyone have some words of wisdom? Thanks!

Re: HI SIG Error on K3

Don Wilhelm
Do you have *anything* connected to the RX ANT or the unused TX antenna
jack?

The K3 is "thinking" it sees a high RF level on the receive input.
Remove everything from the K3 except the power and see if you still have
the problem.  The reconnect each cable one at a time and test again.
Observe when it re-appears.

If you find that you still get the indication with nothing but the K3
power cable connected, contact K3support.

Do you have a nearby broadcast station?  RF from that station could be
getting into your K3.

With a HI SIG, the K3 will automatically turn off the preamp and turn on
the ATT - that part is normal.

On 12/5/2016 4:07 PM, K4MWB wrote:
> Recently after updating firmware I started getting a HI SIG error in the
> Display's VFO B position when I power up the K3. I can power down the K3
> with the HI SIG error showing, then immediately power it back on, and all
> works fine. Tried removing all antennas and 6m preamp, no change. Reloaded
> firmware, no change. When the K3 powers back up after the error, I noticed
> all instances of PRE are gone and ATT appears on the display.  Does anyone
> have some words of wisdom? Thanks!

Re: HI SIG Error on K3

K4MWB
Don, yes I disconnected everything but power and ground and still get the same HI SIG indication.  The strange thing is if I quickly cycle power off and back on again, the error disappears and all functions normally... until I power it down for awhile and back on.

Re: HI SIG Error on K3

Guy Olinger K2AV
What is the serial number on this unit? Do you have the gold pins?

73, Guy

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM, K4MWB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don, yes I disconnected everything but power and ground and still get the
> same HI SIG indication.  The strange thing is if I quickly cycle power off
> and back on again, the error disappears and all functions normally... until
> I power it down for awhile and back on.

Re: HI SIG Error on K3

K4MWB@ARRL.net
Guy, s/n is 6101. Originally invoiced in January 2012, factory-built. Not sure of pins - how recent were they put in? Last feature upgrades were for 2nd rx and ATU in late 2012.

73, Bill

---- Guy Olinger K2AV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the serial number on this unit? Do you have the gold pins?
>
> 73, Guy
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM, K4MWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Don, yes I disconnected everything but power and ground and still get the
> > same HI SIG indication.  The strange thing is if I quickly cycle power off
> > and back on again, the error disappears and all functions normally... until
> > I power it down for awhile and back on.
> >

> > --

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: HI SIG Error on K3

K4MWB
Returned K3 to Elecraft and they fixed the "HI SIG" problem by replacing Q8 and Q9 on the RF Board.

Re: HI SIG Error on K3

Phillip Lontz
Ah yes, q8 and it's good friend Q9....

motto of the french revolution (Liberté, égalité, fraternité) is
inherently an oxymoron.