HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Tony Lyon-3
Folks,
I decided to try HRD/DM780 for first time after using another HF digital
software program for
probably 10 years.  I am using an Elecraft K3 and a SignaLink USB
interface and both
  MixW and MultiPSK fine with ZERO problems on either RX or TX. With
HRD/DM780 (version 6.2)  the K3
will  TX fine (great signal reports), but on RX (with the Audio input
set between 50-60%), I only get about
90% copy even with a solid OLIVIA signal in the waterfall. I have tried
all kinds of SYNC/TUNE Margins
(while using OLIVIA) to no avail. I have also tried all different levels
of audio RX input to no avail.
If someone could share their SignaLink  and any K3 LINE-IN/LINE-OUT
config values to get DM780 to work I
would appreciate it. I have been at this for a week (part time) and
still can't get DM780 to work correctly
with my K3.

There is clearly a parameter I am missing, but the documentation for
setting up the soundcard for version
is 6.2 is a tad vague.

73,
Tony L. (KJ5XF)

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

KC6CNN
Tony
I have the same setup.
I have not tried Olivia. I have worked all other modes.
What mode is radio set too? Data mode? Is the decode button highlighted
above the waterfall in DM780?
Is band with set properly as not to cut off the signal edges both on the K3
and DM780?
Once your on the signal barring any of the above settings, you should
decode. Try going to the HRD configure page and set to default settings. If
all else fails reload DM780 to make sure there is no corruption.
Let us know what you find.
Gerald - KC6CNN

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Steven Bertsch
Tony…

There is a SQUELCH slider near the top above the receive window (grayish horizontal bar moving). My slider was in the middle and when I moved the slider to the left all the way, I had solid copy. Where is yours set at?

73, Steve K6SAB

On Jun 24, 2014, at 6:47 PM, Tony Lyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
> I decided to try HRD/DM780 for first time after using another HF digital software program for
> probably 10 years.  I am using an Elecraft K3 and a SignaLink USB interface and both
> MixW and MultiPSK fine with ZERO problems on either RX or TX. With HRD/DM780 (version 6.2)  the K3
> will  TX fine (great signal reports), but on RX (with the Audio input set between 50-60%), I only get about
> 90% copy even with a solid OLIVIA signal in the waterfall. I have tried all kinds of SYNC/TUNE Margins
> (while using OLIVIA) to no avail. I have also tried all different levels of audio RX input to no avail.
> If someone could share their SignaLink  and any K3 LINE-IN/LINE-OUT config values to get DM780 to work I
> would appreciate it. I have been at this for a week (part time) and still can't get DM780 to work correctly
> with my K3.
>
> There is clearly a parameter I am missing, but the documentation for setting up the soundcard for version
> is 6.2 is a tad vague.
>
> 73,
> Tony L. (KJ5XF)

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Tony Lyon-3
Hi Gerald,
My K3 is indeed set to Data Mode. The bandwidth is set correctly and I
also have the default settings.
I also have re-installed HRD/DM780.... I also re-checked the Signalink
soundcard settings and they are OK.
Still no go... TX is fine, RX drops characters.

73,
Tony L. (KJ5XF)

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Tony Lyon-3
Hi Steve,
I had the slider at about 25% and I moved it all the way to the left.
Still no change.

73,
Tony L. (KJ5XF)

> Tony…
>
> There is a SQUELCH slider near the top above the receive window (grayish horizontal bar moving). My slider was in the middle and when I moved the slider to the left all the way, I had solid copy. Where is yours set at?
>
> 73, Steve K6SAB
>

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 6:47 PM, Tony Lyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I decided to try HRD/DM780 for first time after using another HF digital software program for
>> probably 10 years.  I am using an Elecraft K3 and a SignaLink USB interface and both
>> MixW and MultiPSK fine with ZERO problems on either RX or TX. With HRD/DM780 (version 6.2)  the K3
>> will  TX fine (great signal reports), but on RX (with the Audio input set between 50-60%), I only get about
>> 90% copy even with a solid OLIVIA signal in the waterfall. I have tried all kinds of SYNC/TUNE Margins
>> (while using OLIVIA) to no avail. I have also tried all different levels of audio RX input to no avail.
>> If someone could share their SignaLink  and any K3 LINE-IN/LINE-OUT config values to get DM780 to work I
>> would appreciate it. I have been at this for a week (part time) and still can't get DM780 to work correctly
>> with my K3.
>>
>> There is clearly a parameter I am missing, but the documentation for setting up the soundcard for version
>> is 6.2 is a tad vague.
>>
>> 73,
>> Tony L. (KJ5XF)

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Tony Lyon-3
Hi Sal,
Yes, I went through the Signalink audio level config again and no change.
The Signalink pots are also set just like yours.

73,
Tony L. (KJ5XF)

> Hi Tony!
> Have you gone through the Signalink audio levels config procedure?
> Is it possible that its just Windows audio levels that are low?
> All my Signalink pots (except Delay) are usually at 12 o'clock.
>
> __________________
> Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
> [hidden email]
>
> On Jun 24, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Tony Lyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I decided to try HRD/DM780 for first time after using another HF digital software program for
>> probably 10 years.  I am using an Elecraft K3 and a SignaLink USB interface and both
>> MixW and MultiPSK fine with ZERO problems on either RX or TX. With HRD/DM780 (version 6.2)  the K3
>> will  TX fine (great signal reports), but on RX (with the Audio input set between 50-60%), I only get about
>> 90% copy even with a solid OLIVIA signal in the waterfall. I have tried all kinds of SYNC/TUNE Margins
>> (while using OLIVIA) to no avail. I have also tried all different levels of audio RX input to no avail.
>> If someone could share their SignaLink  and any K3 LINE-IN/LINE-OUT config values to get DM780 to work I
>> would appreciate it. I have been at this for a week (part time) and still can't get DM780 to work correctly
>> with my K3.
>>
>> There is clearly a parameter I am missing, but the documentation for setting up the soundcard for version
>> is 6.2 is a tad vague.
>>
>> 73,
>> Tony L. (KJ5XF)

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Don Wilhelm-4
Tony,

First make sure that you have a good audio connection from Line Out to
the soundcard.  Use good quality cables that do not pick up noise.

What happens if you eliminate the Signalink - change HRD to use the
computer default soundcard and connect from that soundcard line out to
the K3 Line In - if decode is OK under that situation, look for the
problem in the Signalink soundcard.
The built-in soundcard in most modern computers is one of the HD types,
and is much more than sufficient for use with data modes.

On troubleshooting -- When you have a problem, suspect everything and
eliminate the possible suspects one at a time.  Substitution is always a
good analysis tool.

On 6/25/2014 7:42 PM, Tony Lyon wrote:

> Hi Sal,
> Yes, I went through the Signalink audio level config again and no change.
> The Signalink pots are also set just like yours.
>
> 73,
> Tony L. (KJ5XF)
>> Hi Tony!
>> Have you gone through the Signalink audio levels config procedure?
>> Is it possible that its just Windows audio levels that are low?
>> All my Signalink pots (except Delay) are usually at 12 o'clock.
>>
>> __________________
>> Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On Jun 24, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Tony Lyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>> I decided to try HRD/DM780 for first time after using another HF
>>> digital software program for
>>> probably 10 years.  I am using an Elecraft K3 and a SignaLink USB
>>> interface and both
>>> MixW and MultiPSK fine with ZERO problems on either RX or TX. With
>>> HRD/DM780 (version 6.2)  the K3
>>> will  TX fine (great signal reports), but on RX (with the Audio
>>> input set between 50-60%), I only get about
>>> 90% copy even with a solid OLIVIA signal in the waterfall. I have
>>> tried all kinds of SYNC/TUNE Margins
>>> (while using OLIVIA) to no avail. I have also tried all different
>>> levels of audio RX input to no avail.
>>> If someone could share their SignaLink  and any K3 LINE-IN/LINE-OUT
>>> config values to get DM780 to work I
>>> would appreciate it. I have been at this for a week (part time) and
>>> still can't get DM780 to work correctly
>>> with my K3.
>>>
>>> There is clearly a parameter I am missing, but the documentation for
>>> setting up the soundcard for version
>>> is 6.2 is a tad vague.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Tony L. (KJ5XF)

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Looking at what I sent, I got Line In and Line Out reversed.
Tony is having problems decoding, so the Soundcard Line In and the K3
Line Out are the ones that are to be moved to the computer built-in
soundcard.

Tony,

First make sure that you have a good audio connection from Line Out to
the soundcard.  Use good quality cables that do not pick up noise.

What happens if you eliminate the Signalink - change HRD to use the
computer default soundcard and connect from that soundcard line out to
the K3 Line In - if decode is OK under that situation, look for the
problem in the Signalink soundcard.
The built-in soundcard in most modern computers is one of the HD types,
and is much more than sufficient for use with data modes.

On troubleshooting -- When you have a problem, suspect everything and
eliminate the possible suspects one at a time.  Substitution is always a
good analysis tool.

On 6/25/2014 7:42 PM, Tony Lyon wrote:

> Hi Sal,
> Yes, I went through the Signalink audio level config again and no change.
> The Signalink pots are also set just like yours.
>
> 73,
> Tony L. (KJ5XF)
>> Hi Tony!
>> Have you gone through the Signalink audio levels config procedure?
>> Is it possible that its just Windows audio levels that are low?
>> All my Signalink pots (except Delay) are usually at 12 o'clock.
>>
>> __________________
>> Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On Jun 24, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Tony Lyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>> I decided to try HRD/DM780 for first time after using another HF
>>> digital software program for
>>> probably 10 years.  I am using an Elecraft K3 and a SignaLink USB
>>> interface and both
>>> MixW and MultiPSK fine with ZERO problems on either RX or TX. With
>>> HRD/DM780 (version 6.2)  the K3
>>> will  TX fine (great signal reports), but on RX (with the Audio
>>> input set between 50-60%), I only get about
>>> 90% copy even with a solid OLIVIA signal in the waterfall. I have
>>> tried all kinds of SYNC/TUNE Margins
>>> (while using OLIVIA) to no avail. I have also tried all different
>>> levels of audio RX input to no avail.
>>> If someone could share their SignaLink  and any K3 LINE-IN/LINE-OUT
>>> config values to get DM780 to work I
>>> would appreciate it. I have been at this for a week (part time) and
>>> still can't get DM780 to work correctly
>>> with my K3.
>>>
>>> There is clearly a parameter I am missing, but the documentation for
>>> setting up the soundcard for version
>>> is 6.2 is a tad vague.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Tony L. (KJ5XF)

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

KC6CNN
Tony
You said you used fldigi or some other software before.
Did you run Olvida? If so then hardware fine its a HRD setting.
Confirm that and I will go check mine in that mode while waiting.
Gerald

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: HRD/DM-780, Elecraft K3 and soundcard

Tony Lyon-3
Folks,
I want to thank _/*ALL*/_ of you who sent feedback!!! I narrowed the
issue I was having with the RX
down to the the following:

a) The SQUELCH default (25%) was simply too high. I lowered it to 4%
b) For some interesting reason, I had to drop the audio input down to
about 15%. This level
     is WAYYYY lower than what I need on either MixW or MultiPsk.

With the 2 tweaks mentioned above, now copy is where it should. That's
what I really enjoy
about this Elecraft email list. Lots of good feedback...

73,
Tony Lyon (KJ5XF)