Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Edward A. Dauer
This discussion of shack and desk arrangements inspired me to look further
into it . . .   Well, not too much further.  I simply went to Google
Images and entered ³Amateur Radio Stations.²  Some Elecraft-centered
setups appeared, as one might imagine.  But here¹s one that just blew me
away:
https://stationproject.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/george-w9evts-shack.jpg.
  There is even more on the W9EVT QRZ.com entry, and its links.  Note,
however, how much woodworking would have to be done to fit in one more
speaker.

I have heard it said that He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.  So far as
I can tell George is still active and well, and may that long be so.  But
would this be the pole position contender?

Ted, KN1CBR

>Message: 7
>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:41:26 -0400
>From: Mike Reublin NF4L <[hidden email]>
>To: Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
>Cc: Elecraft List <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Station setup
>
>Unless there's a real space issue, forego the wheels ans just put the
>desk a couple of feet from the wall. KISS
>8-{o}.....
>
>73, Mike NF4L
>

>> On Sep 16, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>
>> On Wed,9/16/2015 7:50 AM, Dennis wrote:
>>> This desk will go in a room corner tight against the walls with a
>>>window to the left of this location.
>>
>> Make sure that it moves, so that you can get behind it to hook up gear.
>>If you can't get behind it, hookups are a PITA, and wiring can quickly
>>become a mess. It also makes it difficult to reconfigure your station.
>>Ask me how I know. :)
>>
>> Also make sure that you have easy cable paths between levels, and
>>between the desk and antenna entry, and for power.
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

GaryK9GS
W9EVT attended the W9DXCC convention in Chicago this past weekend.

On 9/16/2015 10:10 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:

> This discussion of shack and desk arrangements inspired me to look further
> into it . . .   Well, not too much further.  I simply went to Google
> Images and entered ³Amateur Radio Stations.²  Some Elecraft-centered
> setups appeared, as one might imagine.  But here¹s one that just blew me
> away:
> https://stationproject.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/george-w9evts-shack.jpg.
>    There is even more on the W9EVT QRZ.com entry, and its links.  Note,
> however, how much woodworking would have to be done to fit in one more
> speaker.
>
> I have heard it said that He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.  So far as
> I can tell George is still active and well, and may that long be so.  But
> would this be the pole position contender?
>
> Ted, KN1CBR
>

>> Message: 7
>> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:41:26 -0400
>> From: Mike Reublin NF4L <[hidden email]>
>> To: Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Elecraft List <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Station setup
>>
>> Unless there's a real space issue, forego the wheels ans just put the
>> desk a couple of feet from the wall. KISS
>> 8-{o}.....
>>
>> 73, Mike NF4L
>>

>>> On Sep 16, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

>>> Make sure that it moves, so that you can get behind it to hook up gear.
>>> If you can't get behind it, hookups are a PITA, and wiring can quickly
>>> become a mess. It also makes it difficult to reconfigure your station.
>>> Ask me how I know. :)
>>>
>>> Also make sure that you have easy cable paths between levels, and
>>> between the desk and antenna entry, and for power.
>>>
>>> 73, Jim K9YC

> Gary K9GS
>
> Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
> Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
> CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Charlie T, K3ICH
He's also a helluva nice guy.

He often helps out on the "pre-net" for the Sunday
Collins Collectors Assn 14.263 net at 2000Z.

73, Charlie k3ICH

W9EVT attended the W9DXCC convention in Chicago
this past weekend.

On 9/16/2015 10:10 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:
> This discussion of shack and desk arrangements
inspired me to look further
> into it . . .   Well, not too much further.  I
simply went to Google
> Images and entered ³Amateur Radio Stations.²
Some Elecraft-centered
> setups appeared, as one might imagine.  But
here¹s one that just blew
> me
> away:

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Chip Stratton
He has always welcomed hams who come to visit on his little island and
offers to let them use almost any of his incredible collection of installed
ham gear.

I haven't taken advantage of this myself, but have communicated with him by
email. He has a B&B, but also suggested to me that I could come and just
camp nearby to save money - but could still use his ham gear.

Very generous and nice man.

Chip
AE5KA

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Charlie T, K3ICH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> He's also a helluva nice guy.
>
> He often helps out on the "pre-net" for the Sunday
> Collins Collectors Assn 14.263 net at 2000Z.
>
> 73, Charlie k3ICH

Chuck Milam, N9KY
I've really enjoyed the conversation about shack and desktop setups, as I'm
about to get into the garage, get behind the saw, and build a desktop
equipment shelf.

I've been talked out of building vertical supports, thanks to this
list.  So now I'm trying to future-proof my design. Eventually, I'd hope to
have a complete K-Line. So, I'm thinking I'd just add up the front panel
widths of all the K-Line components and perhaps add an inch or two. Does
this sound reasonable or am I missing something obvious?

--
Chuck Milam, N9KY

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Elecraft mailing list
>>> am I missing something obvious? <<<
YES! The "K" Line !   :-D
((((73)))) Milverton / W9MMS.

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Depending on the desk top, the routing of the cables can be a mess.  I put a false back and dressed the cable through slots and the mess was behind the panel.  A thought.
Mel,, K6KBE

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Don Wilhelm-4
Mel,

Your determination of the required shelf length sounds quite reasonable.
If you are working with plywood, a normal maximum length for a bookcase
shelf of 3/4 plywood is 32 inches without interim supports.
If the shelf is going to be longer than that, or you will have
substantial weight on the shelf, glue 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch high edging
strips of 3/4 inch thick solid wood to the front and back to conceal the
plywood edges.

To keep the shelf assembly from racking, rabbet the back of the assembly
and fasten in a 1/4 inch plywood back - then cut large slots (at least 3
inches wide leaving 2 1/2 inches of material at the ends and under the
top) in that back panel to provide adequate ventilation and space to
pass cables through.

I have had considerable woodworking experience both as a hobby with 10
years running a small custom woodworking shop and doing specialty
designs for customers.  Make it look like furniture - go to a shop that
deals in hardwoods and buy quality materials.  If you buy at a DIY
store, check the materials carefully to be certain sheet goods are flat
and the solid materials are not warped.

On 9/17/2015 10:56 AM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft wrote:

> Depending on the desk top, the routing of the cables can be a mess.  I put a false back and dressed the cable through slots and the mess was behind the panel.  A thought.
> Mel,, K6KBE

Fwd: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

K6GVW

Sent from Jerry's iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
> Date: September 17, 2015 at 8:17:20 AM PDT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT
>
> Mel,
>
> Your determination of the required shelf length sounds quite reasonable.
> If you are working with plywood, a normal maximum length for a bookcase shelf of 3/4 plywood is 32 inches without interim supports.
> If the shelf is going to be longer than that, or you will have substantial weight on the shelf, glue 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch high edging strips of 3/4 inch thick solid wood to the front and back to conceal the plywood edges.
>
> To keep the shelf assembly from racking, rabbet the back of the assembly and fasten in a 1/4 inch plywood back - then cut large slots (at least 3 inches wide leaving 2 1/2 inches of material at the ends and under the top) in that back panel to provide adequate ventilation and space to pass cables through.
>
> I have had considerable woodworking experience both as a hobby with 10 years running a small custom woodworking shop and doing specialty designs for customers.  Make it look like furniture - go to a shop that deals in hardwoods and buy quality materials.  If you buy at a DIY store, check the materials carefully to be certain sheet goods are flat and the solid materials are not warped.

>> On 9/17/2015 10:56 AM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft wrote:
>> Depending on the desk top, the routing of the cables can be a mess.  I put a false back and dressed the cable through slots and the mess was behind the panel.  A thought.
>> Mel,, K6KBE

cheng076

Also don't forget to add a bit over 1/2" for each piece of equipment to allow for the handles.... or remove them.

PJH, N7PXY

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Alan. G4GNX
I am about to do the same, as soon as I've finished building the staircase
to my attic conversion ham shack.

At present I have a bare room with a lot of scope and I intend to have an
operating position on one side and a small construction/repair bench on the
other.

I was discussing this with a friend and he suggested that to take cables
away from the equipment, I could screw a length of industrial cable trunking
to the stud wall and butt the operating "desk" to it. To make it more
pretty, I could mount a wooden lid on it and cut holes in that whenever a
cable is added.

I thought about the idea of building a hutch for the K3 and came up with the
idea of a top shelf with movable partitions so that I can add to the K-Line
as needed.

For the cables that will end up outside, I've purchased a 2 inch fitting
that's used to make a connection with a fish pond. It comes in two pieces
which will clamp either side of the eaves/soffit board and will have a butyl
rubber membrane across the entry to prevent the wind from blowing in. From
there to a 45 degree 2 inch adaptor and a 2 inch tube (all ABS) so that
cables will pass easily from either end.

Actual layout of the operating area still to be decided, but at least I have
a clean slate.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
For something called "wireless" there sure are a lot of wires.

On 9/17/2015 7:56 AM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft wrote:
> Depending on the desk top, the routing of the cables can be a mess.  I put a false back and dressed the cable through slots and the mess was behind the panel.

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

bill steffey
for shelving , spend a bit more for this one time event...
use multi-ply  'baltic birch" plywood,,,7 or 9 ply...

they have it at  home depot /lowes type stores, but a visit to the
rockler woodworking store was great,
as they had some 9 ply on sale .,..

why balticbirch :
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/6_plywood.html

My elecraft / ICOM ACOM shack  in a cabinet    NY9H  at QRZ.com

bill ny9h

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Alan. G4GNX
Me too Don. I am fortunate enough to have a fully equipped woodworking shop
at home.

I don't think that Home Depot, Lowes and the like are any different to the
"pile it high, sell it (not so) cheap" DIY stores we have in the UK. Even
some of our trade building suppliers are a bit suspect and you really do
have to carefully select your lumber and have a keen eye. :-)

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

k6mkf
I started with an old smaller pine kitchen table about 2 feet from the back
wall of the shack.  I walk behind it to do cabling, etc.

On this I built a 3-level riser out of unpainted 5/8" exterior grade plywood
- maybe $40 into the whole thing including cuts at the lumber yard.
Elmer's carpenter's glue and deck screws hold it together.

A 1-1/4" spade bit or a 4" hole saw make routing lines easy.

Not even in the same league with some of the cabinetmaker's masterpieces
I've seen in some shacks, but it's functional.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, President - NCDXC

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Phil Hystad-3
Woodworking is my number one hobby (except for the coldest winter months).  Ham radio is second to woodworking and my work is primarily furniture using hand-joinery (mortise & tenon, dovetails, etc.) and all hardwoods (favorites are Padauk and Maple).

Yet, for my shack combined den/office, I bought two tables from IKEA.  They have a blond maple like plastic laminate surface measuring 36 inches deep (which is special order when I bought these) and 64 inches long.  They have a gray metal stand with adjustable height legs.  For the shelving, I used 16 inch wide melamine type shelving from Home Depot (3/4 inches thick).

I have two IKEA tables, one is used for ham radio desk and the other right next to it is my iMac computer work station.  The photo at the URL below is of the ham radio desk portion showing the table and the melamine shelves.  Note that this photo is several years old, I think it dates just after I added the P3 but does not show re-arrangement and changes because of adding the KAT500 and KPA500 to the mix.

http://k7peh.us/hamradio/k7peh_1.jpg

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 9:04 AM, bill NY9H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> for shelving , spend a bit more for this one time event...
> use multi-ply  'baltic birch" plywood,,,7 or 9 ply...
>
> they have it at  home depot /lowes type stores, but a visit to the rockler woodworking store was great,
> as they had some 9 ply on sale .,..
>
> why balticbirch :
> http://www.woodworkerssource.com/6_plywood.html
>
> My elecraft / ICOM ACOM shack  in a cabinet    NY9H  at QRZ.com
>
> bill ny9h

Fwd: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Phil Hystad-3
Actually, I think a different photo would show the tables I mention below a bit better.

http://k7peh.us/hamradio/peh_hamshack_1.jpg <http://k7peh.us/hamradio/peh_hamshack_1.jpg>

http://k7peh.us/hamradio/peh_hamshack_3.jpg <http://k7peh.us/hamradio/peh_hamshack_3.jpg>

The room shown is the lower level (split level house) 4th bedroom which is my shack/den/office/mancave.  And, these photos are at least three years old as they show the Icom PW-1 (black box on floor in far rear corner) and my Icom 756 Pro III is on the shelf to the right of the K3 but it can’t be clearly seen.

The photo below is my sometimes “portable” operations of QRP CW using my KX3 and Buddipole Antenna in the back yard.  Our back yard is like a cosy little park with birds chirping all over and it is a nice place for a QRP afternoon on 20 meters.

http://k7peh.us/hamradio/Phil.jpg <http://k7peh.us/hamradio/Phil.jpg>

73, phil, K7PEH

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT
> Date: September 17, 2015 at 9:35:53 AM PDT
> To: bill NY9H <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Woodworking is my number one hobby (except for the coldest winter months).  Ham radio is second to woodworking and my work is primarily furniture using hand-joinery (mortise & tenon, dovetails, etc.) and all hardwoods (favorites are Padauk and Maple).
>
> Yet, for my shack combined den/office, I bought two tables from IKEA.  They have a blond maple like plastic laminate surface measuring 36 inches deep (which is special order when I bought these) and 64 inches long.  They have a gray metal stand with adjustable height legs.  For the shelving, I used 16 inch wide melamine type shelving from Home Depot (3/4 inches thick).
>
> I have two IKEA tables, one is used for ham radio desk and the other right next to it is my iMac computer work station.  The photo at the URL below is of the ham radio desk portion showing the table and the melamine shelves.  Note that this photo is several years old, I think it dates just after I added the P3 but does not show re-arrangement and changes because of adding the KAT500 and KPA500 to the mix.
>
> http://k7peh.us/hamradio/k7peh_1.jpg
>

> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

>> On Sep 17, 2015, at 9:04 AM, bill NY9H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> for shelving , spend a bit more for this one time event...
>> use multi-ply  'baltic birch" plywood,,,7 or 9 ply...
>>
>> they have it at  home depot /lowes type stores, but a visit to the rockler woodworking store was great,
>> as they had some 9 ply on sale .,..
>>
>> why balticbirch :
>> http://www.woodworkerssource.com/6_plywood.html
>>
>> My elecraft / ICOM ACOM shack  in a cabinet    NY9H  at QRZ.com
>>
>> bill ny9h

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Merv Schweigert
I have always had the problem of new or added gear fitting the "hutch"
space,
it was either to wide etc
In my last desk top "hutch" I solved that problem,  I made the
horizontal shelves
full width of the desk top,  but the vertical supports or dividers I
made loose or
adjustable,  I can slide the vertical supports anyplace along the
shelves,  that
way new or different size gear can be accommodated with no revision to
the desk.
Get a new radio and need another inch space?  bump the vertical support
over
an inch.   I used 3/4 inch shelf board for both the shelves and
divider/supports,
the end supports of course are fixed and screwed and glued.

73 Merv K9FD/KH6

> I've really enjoyed the conversation about shack and desktop setups, as I'm
> about to get into the garage, get behind the saw, and build a desktop
> equipment shelf.
>
> I've been talked out of building vertical supports, thanks to this
> list.  So now I'm trying to future-proof my design. Eventually, I'd hope to
> have a complete K-Line. So, I'm thinking I'd just add up the front panel
> widths of all the K-Line components and perhaps add an inch or two. Does
> this sound reasonable or am I missing something obvious?

Re: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Bob-270
I've enjoyed it too.    My woodworking skills are at best poor and more likely
nonexistent so cabinetry is out of the question.

What I did years ago and has worked out very well was some standard shelving
from Lowe'a or HD.  Vertical risers screwed into the studding and 18 inch deep
brackets mounted on them.   Finished the shelves to match the desk top and done.

I've been thru a couple of redo's over the years.  The last when the high SB220
was replaced by the KPA 500 and KAT500.  Very flexible arrangements.  Desk can
be pulled out from underneath if cables are an extra few feet long.  Besides we
all have to plan for when the K4 comes out with the large built in display and
is 2 inches higher.

No pictures online but if anyone has interest I'll send JPEG's on request.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 9/17/2015 10:15 AM, Chuck Milam, N9KY wrote:

> I've really enjoyed the conversation about shack and desktop setups, as I'm
> about to get into the garage, get behind the saw, and build a desktop
> equipment shelf.
>
> I've been talked out of building vertical supports, thanks to this
> list.  So now I'm trying to future-proof my design. Eventually, I'd hope to
> have a complete K-Line. So, I'm thinking I'd just add up the front panel
> widths of all the K-Line components and perhaps add an inch or two. Does
> this sound reasonable or am I missing something obvious?

Re: Fwd: Ham Shack Arrangements - just a little OT

Jim Low man
If nothing else, all of these photos of such nicely-organized and neat
shacks are inspiring me to get mine in better order.

73 de Jim - AD6CW