Headset

Mike Harris-9
Hi,

If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a
suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any
experience out there?

My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the
foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult
to source.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: Headset

bdenley
I use the Koss SB45 headset.  Works very well.

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

> On May 26, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any experience out there?
>
> My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult to source.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: Headset

Tony Scandurra K4QE
Same here.  Better physical design than the CM500 except for the boom mic.

Audio performance is the same.

73, Tony K4QE
On May 26, 2016 11:45 AM, "Brian Denley" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use the Koss SB45 headset.  Works very well.
>
> Brian Denley
> KB1VBF
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On May 26, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a
> suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any
> experience out there?
> >
> > My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the
> foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult to
> source.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mike VP8NO

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Headset

The CM500 is offered on Amazon for $59.  Don't know about shipping to
the Falklands.

Buck
k4ia  K3 #101
Honor Roll 334
8 Band DXCC

On 5/26/2016 11:44 AM, Brian Denley wrote:

> I use the Koss SB45 headset.  Works very well.
>
> Brian Denley
> KB1VBF
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 26, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any experience out there?
>>
>> My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult to source.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike VP8NO

Re: Headset

John Kramer
I use the KOSS SB45, it has the same electret element as in the Yamaha. In fact
it is almost identical to the Yamaha, but uses silver ear cups. I understand some
of the components used in the Yamaha are made by Koss…perhaps the CM500
is made in the Koss factory, but labeled Yamaha ?
Terrific RX and TX audio with my KX3 and Flex rigs using my Koss SB45 - make sure
you get the SB45 (electret) and not the SB40 (dynamic)

73
John

On 26 May 2016, at 4:14 PM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any experience out there?

My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult to source.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: Headset

Mike Reublin NF4L
Amazon lists the SB-45 at 1/2 the price of the CM500.

73, Mike NF4L

> On May 26, 2016, at 12:06 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use the KOSS SB45, it has the same electret element as in the Yamaha. In fact
> it is almost identical to the Yamaha, but uses silver ear cups. I understand some
> of the components used in the Yamaha are made by Koss…perhaps the CM500
> is made in the Koss factory, but labeled Yamaha ?
> Terrific RX and TX audio with my KX3 and Flex rigs using my Koss SB45 - make sure
> you get the SB45 (electret) and not the SB40 (dynamic)
>
> 73
> John
>

> On 26 May 2016, at 4:14 PM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any experience out there?
>
> My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult to source.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: Headset

Another vote for the KOSS SB45, especially as it is much easier to buy in the UK.

I had a CM500 but the mic broke after about a year, so I kept it just as a pair of stereo headphones.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 26 May 2016, at 17:06, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use the KOSS SB45, it has the same electret element as in the Yamaha. In fact
> it is almost identical to the Yamaha, but uses silver ear cups. I understand some
> of the components used in the Yamaha are made by Koss…perhaps the CM500
> is made in the Koss factory, but labeled Yamaha ?
> Terrific RX and TX audio with my KX3 and Flex rigs using my Koss SB45 - make sure
> you get the SB45 (electret) and not the SB40 (dynamic)
>
> 73
> John
>

> On 26 May 2016, at 4:14 PM, Mike Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any experience out there?
>
> My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult to source.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: Headset

Dave Hachadorian-2
I have both the CM500 and SB-45.  The SB-45 is the one I use.  It
is more comfortable on my head.  I wear eyeglasses, and it
doesn't squeeze the side rails as hard, and is generally more
comfortable for me.  Both headsets function equally well, but the
SB-45 microphone need a couple more dB of boost in equalizer bin
4.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as
suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500.
Any
experience out there?

My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering
and the
foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather
difficult
to source.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Please help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Headset

Dave Hachadorian-2
I forgot to mention that the SB-45 also has a nice padded
headband.  It doesn't irritate the top of my bald head as much as
the rough webbing of the CM500.  Judging from the pictures of the
crowds at Dayton this year,  this could be a very significant
feature for a lot of hams!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Re: Headset

Ken Miller K6CTW
All - Just my 2 cents worth as an almost 100% CW guy.  I have been using the Radiosport Headsets from Arlan Communications for a while.

I have their model RS20S with the gel earpads and cloth covers for my K2 (serial #455) as it is my QRP contesting rig and these phones are SUPERB!  Has great isolation so I don't hear anything but what is coming thru the phones (which would be good for field day). The gel pads and cloth covers make them very comfortable for long sessions while contesting.  Additionally, they are stereo so they would work perfectly with a K3/K3s where you could put one receiver's output in each ear for chasing DX when running split.

I also have their model RS20CR, which is monaural and 600 ohms. This is for use with my vintage gear (Drake C-Line, R-4A and 2-B and Collins 75A-1).  Also a outstanding performer, particularly when listening to the SW broadcast.

I have not used their headset with microphone combination but if it works as well as these listen-only units it should be just terrific!

Just my thoughts and hope this helps!  Their website is here:

http://www.arlancommunications.com/

73 - Ken Miller, K6CTW

(Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Arlan Communications just a very happy user)

Re: Headset

john@kk9a.com
If you want a great and amazingly comfortable CW headphone, consider the
Sony MDR-7506. I bought mine after reading K9YC's recommendation on
cq-contest and I could not be happier.

John KK9A

Ken Miller
Thu May 26 21:31:26 EDT 2016

[...]

Troy, W6HV
My K3 is used strictly CW and I have the “Audio-Technica ATH-M30x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones”. Very comfortable, Amazon has them for $55.34.

Re: Headset

GaryK9GS
I second that John.  I bought one 2+ years ago.  It arrived days before
CQWW CW.  I wore them all weekend and never a complaint. One of the
really cool things is that they come with a parts list.  If you ever
have to repair them they sell replacement parts.

I've never looked back.

On 5/26/2016 8:52 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> If you want a great and amazingly comfortable CW headphone, consider the
> Sony MDR-7506. I bought mine after reading K9YC's recommendation on
> cq-contest and I could not be happier.
>
> John KK9A
>
> Ken Miller
> Thu May 26 21:31:26 EDT 2016
>
> All - Just my 2 cents worth as an almost 100% CW guy.  I have been using the
> Radiosport Headsets from Arlan Communications for a while.
>
> I have their model RS20S with the gel earpads and cloth covers for my K2
> (serial #455) as it is my QRP contesting rig and these phones are SUPERB!
> Has great isolation so I don't hear anything but what is coming thru the
> phones (which would be good for field day). The gel pads and cloth covers
> make them very comfortable for long sessions while contesting.
> Additionally, they are stereo so they would work perfectly with a K3/K3s
> where you could put one receiver's output in each ear for chasing DX when
> running split.
>
> I also have their model RS20CR, which is monaural and 600 ohms. This is for
> use with my vintage gear (Drake C-Line, R-4A and 2-B and Collins 75A-1).
> Also a outstanding performer, particularly when listening to the SW
> broadcast.
>
> I have not used their headset with microphone combination but if it works as
> well as these listen-only units it should be just terrific!
>
> 73 - Ken Miller, K6CTW

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: Headset

Ken Arck
I have a set of KOSS SB 40's and they're great on the RX side but the
cheap dynamic mic that comes as part of it sounds like @#*^%#@ on TX,
regardless of how I've tried to compensate using the EQ

Ken

At 10:27 AM 5/26/2016, Dave Hachadorian wrote:

>I forgot to mention that the SB-45 also has a nice padded
>headband.  It doesn't irritate the top of my bald head as much as
>the rough webbing of the CM500.  Judging from the pictures of the
>crowds at Dayton this year,  this could be a very significant
>feature for a lot of hams!
>
>Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>Yuma, AZ
>

>-----Original Message----- From: Mike Harris
>Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:14 AM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Elecraft] Headset
>
>Hi,
>
>If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a
>suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any
>experience out there?
>
>My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the
>foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult
>to source.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike VP8NO

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

Re: Headset

Jim Rhodes-2
I wore out one SB-40 over 15 to 20 years,  so I bought another one. Get
good audio reports on the rare instances I get on phone.
On Jun 21, 2016 3:12 PM, "Ken Arck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a set of KOSS SB 40's and they're great on the RX side but the
> cheap dynamic mic that comes as part of it sounds like @#*^%#@ on TX,
> regardless of how I've tried to compensate using the EQ
>
> Ken
>

> At 10:27 AM 5/26/2016, Dave Hachadorian wrote:
>
>> I forgot to mention that the SB-45 also has a nice padded headband.  It
>> doesn't irritate the top of my bald head as much as the rough webbing of
>> the CM500.  Judging from the pictures of the crowds at Dayton this year,
>> this could be a very significant feature for a lot of hams!
>>
>> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>> Yuma, AZ
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Mike Harris
>> Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:14 AM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Elecraft] Headset
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I remember correctly the Koss SB45 headset has been offered as a
>> suitable substitute for the K3 weapon of choice the Yamaha CM500. Any
>> experience out there?
>>
>> My much used CM500 are starting to shed the leatherette covering and the
>> foam inside the cavities is wearing away. CM500 can be rather difficult
>> to source.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike VP8NO

> President and CTO - Arcom Communications
> Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
> http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
> Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
> we offer complete repeater packages!
> AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
> http://www.irlp.net
> "We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

Re: Headset

gm3sek
>I have a set of KOSS SB 40's and they're great on the RX side but the
>cheap dynamic mic that comes as part of it sounds like @#*^%#@

But weren't we discussing the SB-forty-FIVE?

The *electret* mic in the Koss SB-45 is excellent, and works very well
with the K3 for a wide range of different voices. For those who prefer a
lighter headset with on-ear earpieces, the Koss CS-100 gives equally
good results.

Both the SB-45 and the CS-100 can be highly recommended.

73 from Ian GM3SEK