Quantcast

Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

Brett Howard
So I've done a few searches and I'm finding all sorts of people
wanting to sell me an adapter cable...  But what I'm trying to find
online is a place that gives the pinout for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...

I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
connector I'd appreciate that too..

I've already got a Kenwood adapter cable and I'm hoping to not destroy
that cable yet make another cable that will allow me to run the mic
into the back...

~Brett (N7MG)
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

Don Wilhelm-4
G4WPW has compiled a list of over 500 microphones and their pinouts.  
The Heil XLR connectors are included.  See
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/date.html whenever you have a
question about microphone wiring.
Specifically, the Heil 4 pin XLR uses pins 3 and 4 for PTT , pin 2 for
the Mic, and pin 1 is shield/ground.

Check the Pro-audio stores and websites for the XLR connector.  The 3
pin is much more common, but the 4 pin jobs do exist.

73,
Don W3FPR

Brett Howard wrote:
> So I've done a few searches and I'm finding all sorts of people
> wanting to sell me an adapter cable...  But what I'm trying to find
> online is a place that gives the pinout for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...
>
> I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
> be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
> connector I'd appreciate that too..
>
>  
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

Joe Subich, W4TV-4
In reply to this post by Brett Howard

 > But what I'm trying to find online is a place that gives the pinout
 > for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...

Try: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/date.html

 > I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
 > be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
 > connector I'd appreciate that too..

Good luck.  You will probably need to deal with someone like Mouser
or one of the broadcast supply houses.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV


On 7/2/2010 7:01 PM, Brett Howard wrote:

> So I've done a few searches and I'm finding all sorts of people
> wanting to sell me an adapter cable...  But what I'm trying to find
> online is a place that gives the pinout for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...
>
> I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
> be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
> connector I'd appreciate that too..
>
> I've already got a Kenwood adapter cable and I'm hoping to not destroy
> that cable yet make another cable that will allow me to run the mic
> into the back...
>
> ~Brett (N7MG)
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

Doug Person
  The 4-pin XLR can be obtained from cheapham.com.

On 7/2/2010 5:25 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>   >  But what I'm trying to find online is a place that gives the pinout
>   >  for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...
>
> Try: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/date.html
>
>   >  I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
>   >  be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
>   >  connector I'd appreciate that too..
>
> Good luck.  You will probably need to deal with someone like Mouser
> or one of the broadcast supply houses.
>
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV
>
>
> On 7/2/2010 7:01 PM, Brett Howard wrote:
>> So I've done a few searches and I'm finding all sorts of people
>> wanting to sell me an adapter cable...  But what I'm trying to find
>> online is a place that gives the pinout for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...
>>
>> I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
>> be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
>> connector I'd appreciate that too..
>>
>> I've already got a Kenwood adapter cable and I'm hoping to not destroy
>> that cable yet make another cable that will allow me to run the mic
>> into the back...
>>
>> ~Brett (N7MG)
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

Jim Brown-10
In reply to this post by Don Wilhelm-4
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:16:39 -0400, Don Wilhelm wrote:

>Check the Pro-audio stores and websites for the XLR connector.

It should be noted that the only standard within the PRO AUDIO world
for the wiring of an XL connector with more than three pins is that pin
1 is the designated shield contact. For a 3-pin XL connector used for
balanced audio, pin 1 is the shield, pin 2 is positive polarity, and
pin 3 is negative polarity.

There are two major mfrs of XL connectors -- Neutrik, and Switchcraft.
Both are widely distributed in North America. Both are first class
companies, but Switchraft also makes some cheapies. The high quality
cable-mounted 3-pin male is an A3M, a 4-pin is A4M. The cable mounted
females are an A3F and A4F, respectively. The only difference is the
inserts. AxM shells are identical, all AxF shells are identical. The
difference is the inserts.

One good place to buy them is Full Compass, in Madison, WI.

73, Jim Brown K9YC




______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

Brett Howard
I finally found some online... And after calling around for a bit I did
find 2 shops that had 4 pin XLR connectors.  One shop only had panel
mount versions and the other shop only has right angle versions.
Neither had more than 2 or 3 of them though.

I'm going to go get one of the right angle ones and I've ordered a set
of 3 of the straight ones online.  

Will be nice to get the mic moved to the back...  The plan is to put a
3.5mm jack and an RCA on the same cable with a lil pigtail so I don't
lose the ability to use the PTT button on the mic if its ever needed...

~Brett (N7MG)

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 22:23 -0700, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:16:39 -0400, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
> >Check the Pro-audio stores and websites for the XLR connector.
>
> It should be noted that the only standard within the PRO AUDIO world
> for the wiring of an XL connector with more than three pins is that pin
> 1 is the designated shield contact. For a 3-pin XL connector used for
> balanced audio, pin 1 is the shield, pin 2 is positive polarity, and
> pin 3 is negative polarity.
>
> There are two major mfrs of XL connectors -- Neutrik, and Switchcraft.
> Both are widely distributed in North America. Both are first class
> companies, but Switchraft also makes some cheapies. The high quality
> cable-mounted 3-pin male is an A3M, a 4-pin is A4M. The cable mounted
> females are an A3F and A4F, respectively. The only difference is the
> inserts. AxM shells are identical, all AxF shells are identical. The
> difference is the inserts.
>
> One good place to buy them is Full Compass, in Madison, WI.
>
> 73, Jim Brown K9YC
>
>
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Heil 4-pin XLR pinout

David Tritch
In reply to this post by Brett Howard
Heil pinouts are available online and MCM Electronics ( mcminone.com ) is a source that I've used for the 4 pin XLR connectors.

( http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NEUTRIK-NC4FX-/NC4FX )

And at $5.50 they're a deal. Although I've always favored Switchcraft, these Neutrik are a decent quality and easy to use.

73's
Dave N8YFQ
______________________________________________________________

Brett Howard wrote:
> So I've done a few searches and I'm finding all sorts of people
> wanting to sell me an adapter cable...  But what I'm trying to find
> online is a place that gives the pinout for Heil's 4-pin XLR mic's...
>
> I'm also trying to find a local source for the connector and seem to
> be striking out so if anyone knows a good place to procure said
> connector I'd appreciate that too..
>
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Loading...