Help setting up digital

w5sum
howdy friends
I recently upgraded my K3 by adding the KIO3BUPKT  KIO3B Upgrade Kit for K3.  I would love to start working digital. I’m a total and complete newbie at digital. I need someone who is willing to walk me through step by step in setting this up.
I’m primarily interested in RTTY only.  I did buy a Signal Link USB before I purchased the KIO3 Upgrade, but never used it. I understand that with the KIO3B Upgrade I DO NOT need the signal link.

I run Windows 7 on my computer. Rig control with the K3 and N1MM is working great.

I use N1MM and would like to work RTTY with that. I don’t want to clutter up with a bunch of different programs.

Anyone willing to help out a Digital Newb?

Thanks and God Bless

Ronnie W5SUM

Re: Help setting up digital

Don Pomplun-2
I, too echo my sense of confusion with my K3S and data modes. With 4
Data Modes to select from, a couple of which support the keyer paddle,
and some external audio connections, and some that use the USB cable,
not to mention the fact that there is a built-in "sound card" capability
. . .

A few times I've sat down and tried to summarize all this for myself
with no luck, even with Fred's book.  So far I've managed to decode both
RTTY and PSK31 signals via the Utility progam, and with MMTTY for RTTY.
I hesitate to take the "just shut up and do it" approach, preferring
instead to understand what's going on.

Maybe some one has already published a "white paper" on this topic.  The
ARRL books on digital aren't much help because of the unique
capabilities of the K3S.

TIA    Don K2BIO

On 03/19/2017 01:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> howdy friends
> I recently upgraded my K3 by adding the KIO3BUPKT  KIO3B Upgrade Kit for K3.  I would love to start working digital. I’m a total and complete newbie at digital. I need someone who is willing to walk me through step by step in setting this up.
> I’m primarily interested in RTTY only.  I did buy a Signal Link USB before I purchased the KIO3 Upgrade, but never used it. I understand that with the KIO3B Upgrade I DO NOT need the signal link.
>
> I run Windows 7 on my computer. Rig control with the K3 and N1MM is working great.
>
> I use N1MM and would like to work RTTY with that. I don’t want to clutter up with a bunch of different programs.
>
> Anyone willing to help out a Digital Newb?
>
> Thanks and God Bless
>
> Ronnie W5SUM

Re: Help setting up digital

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
The biggest problem is that there are several right answers.

I can't give you a K3S cookbook because I have a KX3, but I can nudge
you in the right general direction.

If you don't mind using a computer, then ignore the "paddle" methods.
Same with the internal encoding/decoding and the utility.

Use one of the "sound card" or "modem" programs.

DATA A is basically Upper Sideband.  Use the built-in sound card.

Now, any program that uses a sound card for any digital mode will work.

Personally, I like FLDIGI.  It does RTTY, PSK-31 (which is popular) and
a whole bunch of other modes.

If you hit your favorite search engine with K3S FLDIGI you'll get a
number of hits, most of them pointed at the Nabble archive of this list.

It seems that the biggest problem may be picking one path and following
it, I hope my input helps.

73 -- Lynn

On 3/19/2017 11:40 AM, Don Pomplun wrote:

> A few times I've sat down and tried to summarize all this for myself
> with no luck, even with Fred's book.  So far I've managed to decode both
> RTTY and PSK31 signals via the Utility progam, and with MMTTY for RTTY.
> I hesitate to take the "just shut up and do it" approach, preferring
> instead to understand what's going on.

Re: Help setting up digital

Barry K3NDM
Don,
     Using the K3s for digital modes is a lot simpler than it might
appear. It has a built in sound card that will show up an a USB codec,
assuming you're connected to your computer using a USB connection.

     Whatever you use for your digital software, it should be set for
input and output to the USB codec. You will then set the radio to mode:
DIGITAL A. The rest is setting the levels according to the radio manual.
This is so much simpler than using external, or internal, sound cards
and needing additional cables for ins and outs.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

>I, too echo my sense of confusion with my K3S and data modes. With 4
>Data Modes to select from, a couple of which support the keyer paddle,
>and some external audio connections, and some that use the USB cable,
>not to mention the fact that there is a built-in "sound card"
>capability . . .
>
>A few times I've sat down and tried to summarize all this for myself
>with no luck, even with Fred's book.  So far I've managed to decode
>both RTTY and PSK31 signals via the Utility progam, and with MMTTY for
>RTTY.  I hesitate to take the "just shut up and do it" approach,
>preferring instead to understand what's going on.
>
>Maybe some one has already published a "white paper" on this topic.
>The ARRL books on digital aren't much help because of the unique
>capabilities of the K3S.
>
>TIA    Don K2BIO
>

>On 03/19/2017 01:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>howdy friends
>>I recently upgraded my K3 by adding the KIO3BUPKT  KIO3B Upgrade Kit
>>for K3.  I would love to start working digital. I’m a total and
>>complete newbie at digital. I need someone who is willing to walk me
>>through step by step in setting this up.
>>I’m primarily interested in RTTY only.  I did buy a Signal Link USB
>>before I purchased the KIO3 Upgrade, but never used it. I understand
>>that with the KIO3B Upgrade I DO NOT need the signal link.
>>
>>I run Windows 7 on my computer. Rig control with the K3 and N1MM is
>>working great.
>>
>>I use N1MM and would like to work RTTY with that. I don’t want to
>>clutter up with a bunch of different programs.
>>
>>Anyone willing to help out a Digital Newb?
>>
>>Thanks and God Bless
>>
>>Ronnie W5SUM
>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>Message delivered to [hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Help setting up digital (2)

Barry K3NDM
OOPs! Brain Cramp. The mode should be data a not digital a.  Sorry for
the confusion

73,
Barry
K3NDM

>I, too echo my sense of confusion with my K3S and data modes. With 4
>Data Modes to select from, a couple of which support the keyer paddle,
>and some external audio connections, and some that use the USB cable,
>not to mention the fact that there is a built-in "sound card"
>capability . . .
>
>A few times I've sat down and tried to summarize all this for myself
>with no luck, even with Fred's book.  So far I've managed to decode
>both RTTY and PSK31 signals via the Utility progam, and with MMTTY for
>RTTY.  I hesitate to take the "just shut up and do it" approach,
>preferring instead to understand what's going on.
>
>Maybe some one has already published a "white paper" on this topic.
>The ARRL books on digital aren't much help because of the unique
>capabilities of the K3S.
>
>TIA    Don K2BIO
>

>On 03/19/2017 01:44 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>howdy friends
>>I recently upgraded my K3 by adding the KIO3BUPKT  KIO3B Upgrade Kit
>>for K3.  I would love to start working digital. I’m a total and
>>complete newbie at digital. I need someone who is willing to walk me
>>through step by step in setting this up.
>>I’m primarily interested in RTTY only.  I did buy a Signal Link USB
>>before I purchased the KIO3 Upgrade, but never used it. I understand
>>that with the KIO3B Upgrade I DO NOT need the signal link.
>>
>>I run Windows 7 on my computer. Rig control with the K3 and N1MM is
>>working great.
>>
>>I use N1MM and would like to work RTTY with that. I don’t want to
>>clutter up with a bunch of different programs.
>>
>>Anyone willing to help out a Digital Newb?
>>
>>Thanks and God Bless
>>
>>Ronnie W5SUM
>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>Message delivered to [hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Help setting up digital

Don and Ronnie,

Let me see if I can help by pointing out the differences between the
Elecraft transceivers K3, K3S, KX2 and KX3 and other transceivers in the
use of data modes.

The following points are directed at soundcard oriented data modes.

1) Use DATA A instead of the normally recommended USB.  While USB will
work, you normally have the SSB set up for voice, including compression
and TX EQ.  The data modes automatically turn compression to zero and
turn off TX EQ.

2) For RTTY, use AFSK A - that is specifically designed for RTTY and
defaults to LSB which is normal for RTTY.

3) Audio levels - ignore the internet advice to adjust the power with
the audio level.  Adjust the audio to illuminate 4 bars solid on the ALC
meter with the 5th bar flashing.  This is the "NO ALC" point for these
Elecraft transceivers - the first 4 bars are present to allow you to
properly adjust the audio.  Once adjusted, you should not have to change
it unless something changes it in the computer.

4) Output power - adjust the desired power level with the POWER knob.
Do not try to adjust the power with the audio level.

5) LINE IN - It is easy to use LINE IN for soundcard data modes than
attempting to use the microphone.  If you have the K3S or K3 with the
KIO3B, you can use the internal soundcard which your computer should
recognize as USB CODEC.  If using the internal soundcard, do not plug
anything into the K3S LINE IN jack, because that will take precedence
over the output of the internal soundcard.
6) For a K3 without the KIO3B, you CAN use the computer's built-in
soundcard, but you will find an external soundcard will serve you
better.  (You can use the computer or USB soundcard with the K3S instead
of the K3S internal soundcard).  The LINE IN and LINE OUT signals are
isolated with transformers and no data mode interface is required.

That about takes care of the differences between the K3/K3S and other
non-Elecraft transceivers.  The operation of the data mode software will
be the same as for any other transceiver.

PSK D and FSK D data modes are there if you want to do other than
soundcard oriented data
They can encode data entered as CW via the paddles (not from a computer,
bug or straight key)  The display of decoded text is scrolled on the VFO
B display area.  The input can also be from the computer as ASCII
characters.
In the case of FSK D, the FSK keying from a 'one transistor keying
circuit' can be applied to the FSK pin on the ACC connector.

The hardest part for a newbie to data modes is normally getting the
computer software set up and learning to operate it.  This is a problem
for any transceiver, it is not unique to the Elecraft gear.

On 3/19/2017 2:40 PM, Don Pomplun wrote:

> I, too echo my sense of confusion with my K3S and data modes. With 4
> Data Modes to select from, a couple of which support the keyer paddle,
> and some external audio connections, and some that use the USB cable,
> not to mention the fact that there is a built-in "sound card" capability
> . . .
>
> A few times I've sat down and tried to summarize all this for myself
> with no luck, even with Fred's book.  So far I've managed to decode both
> RTTY and PSK31 signals via the Utility progam, and with MMTTY for RTTY.
> I hesitate to take the "just shut up and do it" approach, preferring
> instead to understand what's going on.
>
> Maybe some one has already published a "white paper" on this topic.  The
> ARRL books on digital aren't much help because of the unique
> capabilities of the K3S.
>
> TIA    Don K2BIO

>> howdy friends
>> I recently upgraded my K3 by adding the KIO3BUPKT  KIO3B Upgrade Kit
>> for K3.  I would love to start working digital. I’m a total and
>> complete newbie at digital. I need someone who is willing to walk me
>> through step by step in setting this up.
>> I’m primarily interested in RTTY only.  I did buy a Signal Link USB
>> before I purchased the KIO3 Upgrade, but never used it. I understand
>> that with the KIO3B Upgrade I DO NOT need the signal link.
>>
>> I run Windows 7 on my computer. Rig control with the K3 and N1MM is
>> working great.
>>
>> I use N1MM and would like to work RTTY with that. I don’t want to
>> clutter up with a bunch of different programs.
>>
>> Anyone willing to help out a Digital Newb?
>>
>> Thanks and God Bless
>>
>> Ronnie W5SUM

Re: Help setting up digital

I should add one thing which is not always obvious to new users of data
mode software --
You have to tell the software which COM port to use for rig control qnd
proper display of the frequency.
You also have to tell the software which soundcard you are using for the
data mode audio.
For details on that, refer to the documentation of whatever data mode
software you have chosen to use.

> [...]

> ARRL books on digital aren't much help because of the unique
> capabilities of the K3S.
>
> TIA    Don K2BIO

>> howdy friends
>> I recently upgraded my K3 by adding the KIO3BUPKT  KIO3B Upgrade Kit
>> for K3.  I would love to start working digital. I’m a total and
>> complete newbie at digital. I need someone who is willing to walk me
>> through step by step in setting this up.
>> I’m primarily interested in RTTY only.  I did buy a Signal Link USB
>> before I purchased the KIO3 Upgrade, but never used it. I understand
>> that with the KIO3B Upgrade I DO NOT need the signal link.
>>
>> I run Windows 7 on my computer. Rig control with the K3 and N1MM is
>> working great.
>>
>> I use N1MM and would like to work RTTY with that. I don’t want to
>> clutter up with a bunch of different programs.
>>
>> Anyone willing to help out a Digital Newb?

Re: Help setting up digital

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Low Space Means Fine Teletype....

Last time I ran RTTY I used a HAL-5000 and a 28KSR, so I'm a little
rusty, but I believe that nearly all sound card software can "flip" mark
and space so USB will work.

I like PSK-31 a lot.

73 -- Lynn

On 3/19/2017 12:47 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> 2) For RTTY, use AFSK A - that is specifically designed for RTTY and
> defaults to LSB which is normal for RTTY.

Re: Help setting up digital

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
This is grossly oversimplified, but it's a place to start: the software
makes noises, the transmitter transmits them, the remote receiver
receives them, and the software at the other end turns them back into
letters on the screen.

Different noises for RTTY, PSK-31, Olivia, Throb, Hellescriber, etc. but
the technique does not change, and once you get a program working, you
likely don't need to change anything but the VFO to change modes.

I'd start with PSK-31 because it's popular.  DATA A will do fine.

73 -- Lynn

On 3/19/2017 12:23 PM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:
> I'm also interested.
>
> Are you saying that the K3 should be set to DATA A and the controlling
> software on the PC will handle TX/RX, whether it's PSK, RTTY etc.?
>
> 73,
>
> Alan. G4GNX

Re: Help setting up digital

Don Wilhelm
Some data mode applications will do RTTY in USB by inverting the
mark/space.  If using one of those, stay in DATA A submode for RTTY.
But do follow the instructions in the documentation for the software you
are using.  Most DATA modes (other than RTTY) will operate from a
waterfall display where you click on a signal of interest and that
signal is decoded.  The bandwidth controls on the receiver would
normally be set wide to see a wide waterfall with many signals.

Most using RTTY prefer MMTTY which would normally be used with AFSK A
sub-mode on the K3/K3S (LSB on other transceivers).  You would normally
tune to the RTTY signal with the VFO knob, and operate with a narrow
bandwidth.

On 3/19/2017 4:23 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:

> This is grossly oversimplified, but it's a place to start: the software
> makes noises, the transmitter transmits them, the remote receiver
> receives them, and the software at the other end turns them back into
> letters on the screen.
>
> Different noises for RTTY, PSK-31, Olivia, Throb, Hellescriber, etc. but
> the technique does not change, and once you get a program working, you
> likely don't need to change anything but the VFO to change modes.
>
> I'd start with PSK-31 because it's popular.  DATA A will do fine.
>
> 73 -- Lynn
>
> On 3/19/2017 12:23 PM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:
>> I'm also interested.
>>
>> Are you saying that the K3 should be set to DATA A and the controlling
>> software on the PC will handle TX/RX, whether it's PSK, RTTY etc.?

Re: Help setting up digital

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Don knows this, so this is for those reading along.

Traditionally, a teletype Terminal Unit (TU) generates two tones: "mark"
at 2125 Hz and "space" at 2295 (170 Hz shift -- other shifts are
possible, but this is the main one).

Put a (clean) 2125 Hz tone into a SSB transmitter on Lower Sideband and
you'll get a carrier 2125 Hz below the VFO setting.  To transmit "mark"
on 14.070 you'd dial the VFO to 14.072125.

The space signal would be 170 Hz lower (because LSB inverts) and "low
space means fine teletype."

For teletype, the mark and space tones are generally pretty exact, and
you're going to tune the VFO.

For PSK and the like, you'll have a waterfall display showing a number
of different QSOs, and generally speaking, you click your mouse on the
one you want.  The software shifts the tone(s) as needed and the VFO
stays locked.  Everyone on PSK-31 is pretty much within 2 KHz of each other.

73 -- Lynn

On 3/19/2017 1:44 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Some data mode applications will do RTTY in USB by inverting the
> mark/space.  If using one of those, stay in DATA A submode for RTTY.

Re: Help setting up digital

Rick WA6NHC-2
One caveat here... if you happen to set the ALC levels for low freq
tones, say 600 Hz, then end up using 2150 Hz, that level may very well
be well off, overdriving or underdriving while the radio tries to
compensate with varying power levels or accidental distortion.  So one
should be cautious of that or ALWAYS use the same tones.

I've made that a non-issue for RTTY by using FSK but in PSK (sideband
doesn't matter) or others, the same issue remains.

RIck nhc

On 3/19/2017 1:23 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:

> This is grossly oversimplified, but it's a place to start: the
> software makes noises, the transmitter transmits them, the remote
> receiver receives them, and the software at the other end turns them
> back into letters on the screen.
>
> Different noises for RTTY, PSK-31, Olivia, Throb, Hellescriber, etc.
> but the technique does not change, and once you get a program working,
> you likely don't need to change anything but the VFO to change modes.
>
> I'd start with PSK-31 because it's popular.  DATA A will do fine.
>
> 73 -- Lynn
>
> On 3/19/2017 12:23 PM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:
>> I'm also interested.
>>
>> Are you saying that the K3 should be set to DATA A and the controlling
>> software on the PC will handle TX/RX, whether it's PSK, RTTY etc.?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Alan. G4GNX

Re: Help setting up digital

Bob Nielsen-4
Hmm, why does this make me think of an old cigarette advertisement?

Bob,N7XY

On 3/19/17 1:19 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
> Low Space Means Fine Teletype....

Re: Help setting up digital

Jim Brown-10
On Sun,3/19/2017 11:48 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> Hmm, why does this make me think of an old cigarette advertisement?

Because you're OLD! Like me. :)

Re: Help setting up digital

Charlie T, K3ICH
Why would you think that?

Did it taste good like RTTY should?

And I'll bet there wasn't a cough in a carrier either.....

If I REALLY date myself, did the "green go to war"? (with QRM ??)

73, Charlie k3ICH

Hmm, why does this make me think of an old cigarette advertisement?

Bob,N7XY

On 3/19/17 1:19 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
> Low Space Means Fine Teletype....

Re: Help setting up digital

Terry Schieler-2
Don wrote,

<"3) Audio levels - ignore the internet advice to adjust the power with the audio level.  Adjust the audio to illuminate 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing.  This is the "NO ALC" point for these Elecraft transceivers - the first 4 bars are present to allow you to properly adjust the audio.  Once adjusted, you should not have to change it unless something changes it in the computer.">

Thanks for the particularly timely  reply, Don.  I spent the past weekend trying to get my K3S set up for RTTY with MMTTY.  My old K3 (474) worked just fine for years.  Using Data A, AFSK, 45 baud, I can cleanly copy RTTY and Transmit via VOX, but, for the life of me, I cannot get the ALC set to "4 bars solid with the 5th bar flashing".  I can get it to set to 3 bars solid or 5 bars solid but nothing in between, no matter how sensitive I try to be.  Seems I recall someone else with this exact issue on her a few weeks ago.  I have spent this morning trying to find that post as I'm pretty sure his problem was solved.  I am setting the ALC via the Mic (Line) Gain.  I checked that Data A had reduced Compression to ZERO and TX EQ flat.  Any suggestions?

73, Terry W0FM

Re: Help setting up digital

Don Wilhelm
Terry,

Open the soundcard controls for the USB CODEC in your computer and
increase the "Speaker" or Line Out slider.

On 3/20/2017 10:57 AM, Terry Schieler wrote:
> Don wrote,
>
> <"3) Audio levels - ignore the internet advice to adjust the power with the audio level.  Adjust the audio to illuminate 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing.  This is the "NO ALC" point for these Elecraft transceivers - the first 4 bars are present to allow you to properly adjust the audio.  Once adjusted, you should not have to change it unless something changes it in the computer.">
>

> Thanks for the particularly timely  reply, Don.  I spent the past weekend trying to get my K3S set up for RTTY with MMTTY.  My old K3 (474) worked just fine for years.  Using Data A, AFSK, 45 baud, I can cleanly copy RTTY and Transmit via VOX, but, for the life of me, I cannot get the ALC set to "4 bars solid with the 5th bar flashing".  I can get it to set to 3 bars solid or 5 bars solid but nothing in between, no matter how sensitive I try to be.  Seems I recall someone else with this exact issue on her a few weeks ago.  I have spent this morning trying to find that post as I'm pretty sure his problem was solved.  I am setting the ALC via the Mic (Line) Gain.  I checked that Data A had reduced Compression to ZERO and TX EQ flat.  Any suggestions?

Re: Help setting up digital

Nr4c
Reduce the computer sound level to about 30% and you will gain finer adjustment with K3S Lin In.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Terry Schieler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Don wrote,
>
> <"3) Audio levels - ignore the internet advice to adjust the power with the audio level.  Adjust the audio to illuminate 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing.  This is the "NO ALC" point for these Elecraft transceivers - the first 4 bars are present to allow you to properly adjust the audio.  Once adjusted, you should not have to change it unless something changes it in the computer.">
>

> Thanks for the particularly timely  reply, Don.  I spent the past weekend trying to get my K3S set up for RTTY with MMTTY.  My old K3 (474) worked just fine for years.  Using Data A, AFSK, 45 baud, I can cleanly copy RTTY and Transmit via VOX, but, for the life of me, I cannot get the ALC set to "4 bars solid with the 5th bar flashing".  I can get it to set to 3 bars solid or 5 bars solid but nothing in between, no matter how sensitive I try to be.  Seems I recall someone else with this exact issue on her a few weeks ago.  I have spent this morning trying to find that post as I'm pretty sure his problem was solved.  I am setting the ALC via the Mic (Line) Gain.  I checked that Data A had reduced Compression to ZERO and TX EQ flat.  Any suggestions?
>
> 73, Terry W0FM

Bill Frantz
I had exactly this problem with my K3 and Mac. I reduced the
output level from the Mac using the Sound system control panel,
which gave me finer control at the K3. If you run Windows or
Linux the control will have a different name.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 3/20/17 at 7:57 AM, [hidden email] (Terry Schieler) wrote:

>I can cleanly copy RTTY and Transmit via VOX, but, for the life
>of me, I cannot get the ALC set to "4 bars solid with the 5th
>bar flashing".  I can get it to set to 3 bars solid or 5 bars
>solid but nothing in between, no matter how sensitive I try to be.

Re: Help setting up digital

Don Wilhelm
I am sorry if I mislead anyone by my prior response.  I initially
thought that the poster could not achieve 4 bars or 5 bars on the ALC
meter.  But after several emails, I realized that he was skipping from 3
bars to 5 bars with slight changes in the LINE IN gain.

Normally, I recommend that the soundcard sliders be set to 50 to 75% of
full scale, but that is actually soundcard dependent - and may be Mac
and Windows dependent as well.

Perhaps a better statement is to set the K3S (or K3) LINE IN gain for
about mid-scale and then adjust the soundcard sliders to produce the 4
ALC bars with the 5th one flashing.
Final fine adjustments can then be made with the K3S LINE IN gain which
will have a finer resolution at mid-scale than at extremely low or high
settings.