Help with PSK

Tom Wylie
I am trying (and failing miserably) to set up my K3 to work PSK31 mode.

I am using a Microham USB Microkeyer II and my normal Logger 32 software
which I have used for aged with my MP running very fb.

The outgoing tones from my K3 dont "sound right" and a near neighbour
says my signal is very bad
unreadable and very broad.

In the K3,   I have the compression set to 0  the mike gain set to 0.  I
am in Data mode   and using DATA MD have    PSK  D showing -  31 bps.....

My K3 ALC meter is still showing almost full ALC (according to the
meter) with almost now poer output (turned right down).
I have the TX knob on my Microkeyer set at zero and within Logger
soundcard - psk window, have the output set right back, well below the
settings for the MP!

I am receiving PSK no problem at all.     The radio is connected to my
computer via the serial port on the rear...

I can run RTTY FSK without any problem whatsoever.

I think i need a little guidance here...

Tom
GM4FDM

--
So I met the bloke who invented crosswords today. I can't remember his
name, it's P something T something R.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080728-0, 28/07/2008
Tested on: 29/07/2008 12:35:55

Re: Help with PSK

KK7P
> I am trying (and failing miserably) to set up my K3 to work PSK31 mode.

PSK D is only for use with the internal CW-to-PSK feature.  If you are
using a soundcard program, use DATA A.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: Help with PSK

Steef PA2A
Tom,

You should use the 31 bPS PSK-D setting as DATA MODE. If you want to use
AFSK anyway, set it to DATA-A.

If you want to generate AFSK-PSK31 with the Microham MKII, read
http://www.microham-usa.com/Downloads/MKII_RFI_Fix.pdf There is a problem
with the shield of the USB-cable.

73 's Steef PA2A

>I am trying (and failing miserably) to set up my K3 to work PSK31 mode.
>
> I am using a Microham USB Microkeyer II and my normal Logger 32 software
> which I have used for aged with my MP running very fb.
>
> The outgoing tones from my K3 dont "sound right" and a near neighbour says
> my signal is very bad
> unreadable and very broad.
>
> In the K3,   I have the compression set to 0  the mike gain set to 0.  I
> am in Data mode   and using DATA MD have    PSK  D showing -  31 bps.....
>
> My K3 ALC meter is still showing almost full ALC (according to the meter)
> with almost now poer output (turned right down).
> I have the TX knob on my Microkeyer set at zero and within Logger
> soundcard - psk window, have the output set right back, well below the
> settings for the MP!
>
> I am receiving PSK no problem at all.     The radio is connected to my
> computer via the serial port on the rear...
>
> I can run RTTY FSK without any problem whatsoever.
>
> I think i need a little guidance here...
>
> Tom
> GM4FDM
>

> --
> So I met the bloke who invented crosswords today. I can't remember his
> name, it's P something T something R.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 080728-0, 28/07/2008
> Tested on: 29/07/2008 12:35:55

Re: Help with PSK

John Trager
Tom,

You have to use DATA A with a soundcard program such as HRD or MultiPSK.
Here is what I do:

Turn off Tx ALC in menu.  I use VOX instead of the PTT line.  Adjust VOX and
ANTIVOX as needed.  Adjust LINE IN and audio output from soundcard so that
you get the power output that you want to use (no more than 50 watts with
the 100 watt K3).  Use the K3's power meter to adjust.  With my HT OMEGA
Claro+ soundcard, I use a LINE setting of 3 and a low output on my soundcard
(about 1/3 from full output).  It doesn't take much.  Of course you will see
no ALC reading, because it is turned off.  The K3 will automatically go into
Tx when it detects audio input... why use PTT if your don't have to.  Use
1500Hz center frequency with software, and adjust bandwidth as needed.  You
can go as low as 50Hz with PSK31.

John,
N2KBE
>I am trying (and failing miserably) to set up my K3 to work PSK31 mode.
>
> I am using a Microham USB Microkeyer II and my normal Logger 32 software
> which I have used for aged with my MP running very fb.
>
> The outgoing tones from my K3 dont "sound right" and a near neighbour says
> my signal is very bad
> unreadable and very broad.
>
> In the K3,   I have the compression set to 0  the mike gain set to 0.  I
> am in Data mode   and using DATA MD have    PSK  D showing -  31 bps.....
>
> My K3 ALC meter is still showing almost full ALC (according to the meter)
> with almost now poer output (turned right down).
> I have the TX knob on my Microkeyer set at zero and within Logger
> soundcard - psk window, have the output set right back, well below the
> settings for the MP!
>
> I am receiving PSK no problem at all.     The radio is connected to my
> computer via the serial port on the rear...
>
> I can run RTTY FSK without any problem whatsoever.
>
> I think i need a little guidance here...
>
> Tom
> GM4FDM
>

> --
> So I met the bloke who invented crosswords today. I can't remember his
> name, it's P something T something R.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 080728-0, 28/07/2008
> Tested on: 29/07/2008 12:35:55

Re: Help with PSK

Dave, G4AON
Tom the K3 works fine on sound card data modes and doesn't need an
additional interface, I run Ham Radio Deluxe with it's DM780 data
program and it's perfect on RTTY, PSK31, MFSK and Olivia. Use the normal
RS232 cable without any settings for keying on the K3, the program will
key the K3 via serial command. Common 3.5mm stereo leads to/from the PC
sound card and the rear line sockets of the K3 are all the extra
interfacing needed. Run DATA mode A.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80
==============

I am trying (and failing miserably) to set up my K3 to work PSK31 mode.

I am using a Microham USB Microkeyer II and my normal Logger 32 software
which I have used for aged with my MP running very fb.
<SNIP>

RE: Help with PSK

There is no problem with the shield of the USB cable.

> If you want to generate AFSK-PSK31 with the Microham MKII, read
> http://www.microham-usa.com/Downloads/MKII_RFI_Fix.pdf There
> is a problem with the shield of the USB-cable.

This fix applies only audio from microphones connected to the
microKEYER II (RF into the mic preamp in microKEYER II) and
makes no difference with audio generated in the microKEYER II
"soundcard."

If you are going to do PSK31 (or any audio based digital mode)
you must use AFSK A or DATA A.  AFSK A is nominally LSB with
center frequency equal to (MARK+SPACE)/2.  DATA A is nominally
USB with center frequency equal to 1500 Hz.

Typical operating conditions for PSK1 and AFSK in AFSK A or
DATA A would have the Lin In level of the K3 at 10 and the TX
output of microKEYER adjusted to give five bars on the K3
ALC meter.