I wish Elecraft would make this radio

N7EDK
I agree with Barry, I own both the KX3 and KX1 (and K2), an updated KX1 would be great ! I love the little KX1 and would never sell it. And it does go with me more often on camping/kayak trips than the KX3 does.

That being said.....I guess we'll just have to wait and see what develops at the skunk works in Aptos !

73 de Ed N7EDK

Re: I wish Elecraft would make this radio

Jeffrey Blumenfeld
I have a KX-1, and will soon have a KX-3.

I agree they are different radios, in the best possible way.  I would also say that adding the features that would turn a KX-1 into a KX-3 not only makes no business sense for Elecraft, but also would disserve the loyal customer base.

That said, the two features of the KX-1 I would love to see added/changed are:
1. More digits in the display.  Maybe it's just me, but I often have to toggle among resolutions to remember where I am in the band.
2. More bands.  Not necessarily all.  For qrp, 20 and 30 are great for daytime, and 40 and 80 for night.  Would be nice to have 15.

I do love the size of the KX-1, which makes it the perfect take-along-on-a-business-trip-even-when-unsure-you-will-have-time-to-play radio.  I think the KX-3 is a little too big for that, but the perfect size for taking along when you KNOW you'll have time to play.

Thanks for being Elecraft.  Best thing that has happened to fun ham radio since I was licensed in 1964.

73,

Jeff  KB3DX

Jeffrey Blumenfeld

<[hidden email]>

M:  202.255.6300
F:  202.686.1837

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Phil Hystad <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] I wish Elecraft would make this radio
> Date: January 4, 2013 11:22:18 AM EST
> To: "hawley, charles j jr" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, N1EU <[hidden email]>
>

> I have the KX1 and the KX3 and I would not call the KX3 huge compared to the KX1, I would say that it was larger.  Huge would be maybe comparing a K3 to a KX1.
>
> Having said that I am almost always leaning towards the KX3 for QRP and portable work now.  No, I will not sell the KX1 because I like it and there are good reasons I want to use that as well (still).  But, if the KX1 had a larger screen and handled 80 thru 10 and maybe one or two other more modern features then it would be so close to the KX3 that it would not be a good decision for product lineup.  The KX1 having its special place at the lower end of available QRP rigs is a good marketing objective.  Oh, I also have a Norcal 40A but it does collect dust now-a-days.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
>

> On Jan 4, 2013, at 8:17 AM, "hawley, charles j jr" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have one and the lack of a full display is probably the thing I would like changed the most. I think that alone could put new life into the KX1...but more the better :)
>> And I do have a KX3 but its huge compared to the 1.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>> Chuck, KE9UW
>> (Jack for BMW motorcycles)
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2013, at 9:43 AM, "N1EU" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Gee, thanks for the lecture Chris.
>>>
>>> We're coming up on the 10th anniversary of a VERY popular qrp rig and it
>>> would be fantastic if a little design effort helped inject new life into THE
>>> best portable auto-tuning cw rig on the market.  Just throwing out some
>>> ideas and specific personal wishes - no need to squelch the dreams of the
>>> fan base . . .
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Barry N1EU

Re: I wish Elecraft would make this radio

N0AZZ
I wish that Elecraft just keeps doing as it has in the past and present with
new and old products. Being it parts, improvements, firmware upgrades they
are so far ahead of all the others all they need to do is what they have
been doing all along!

It sure works for me...

Fred/N0AZZ

Re: I wish Elecraft would make this radio

Doug Turnbull
Fred,
   You are right but small is beautiful.   This is a dream or wish and I can
understand.   The wee KX1 sure does look like fun.   The Kx3 is incredible
and thanks be for the K3!   Now for the remoter operators who would love
remote P3 capabilities; well the list goes on.   A bit of the Dear Santa
Claus letters is surely okay.   Elecraft has kept us a pretty happy lot.
              73 EI2CN