Import Costs from America

Gary G7USC

Hi All recently I've inherited some money.
I'm considering buy a K3/100 and the Elecraft 500W linear direct from Elecraft (UK prices are the same in pounds as the price in dollars).
Buying direct would save about £1600.
Obviously the import charges then have to be pains and was wondering if any one might have a rough idea of these?
73 Gary G7USC

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Import Costs from America

Don Wilhelm-4
Gary,

I don't know what the import fees might be, but I have understood if you
order kits, there is no import duty added - Amateur Radio kit of parts
is exempt.  Of course, it is still subject to VAT.

On 9/21/2014 9:22 AM, Gary McKelvie wrote:
> Hi All recently I've inherited some money.
> I'm considering buy a K3/100 and the Elecraft 500W linear direct from Elecraft (UK prices are the same in pounds as the price in dollars).
> Buying direct would save about £1600.
> Obviously the import charges then have to be pains and was wondering if any one might have a rough idea of these?
> 73 Gary G7USC

Re: Import Costs from America

Pierfrancesco Caci
On 21 September 2014 15:22:17 CEST, Gary McKelvie <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All recently I've inherited some money.
>I'm considering buy a K3/100 and the Elecraft 500W linear direct from
>Elecraft (UK prices are the same in pounds as the price in dollars).
>Buying direct would save about £1600.
>Obviously the import charges then have to be pains and was wondering if
>any one might have a rough idea of these?
>73 Gary G7USC
>
>Sent from my iPhone

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

You'd pay VAT and duties on the total of your purchase plus shipping costs. As far as I understand no duties are applied on kits. Duty should be around 3 or 4 percent anyway.
Pf
--
Pierfrancesco Caci

Re: Import Costs from America

Ken Chandler
Gary
Order kits, and just pay VAT! Plus £11 handling charge!!!!

Ken.. G0ORH K Line

Sent from my iPad

> On 21 Sep 2014, at 15:36, Pierfrancesco Caci <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 21 September 2014 15:22:17 CEST, Gary McKelvie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All recently I've inherited some money.
>> I'm considering buy a K3/100 and the Elecraft 500W linear direct from
>> Elecraft (UK prices are the same in pounds as the price in dollars).
>> Buying direct would save about £1600.
>> Obviously the import charges then have to be pains and was wondering if
>> any one might have a rough idea of these?
>> 73 Gary G7USC
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

> You'd pay VAT and duties on the total of your purchase plus shipping costs. As far as I understand no duties are applied on kits. Duty should be around 3 or 4 percent anyway.
> Pf
> --
> Pierfrancesco Caci

Re: Import Costs from America

Gary G7USC
Hi to the list,
Once again this list has answered my question.
Thank you to all who have replied on list and direct to me.
Much appreciated.
Once I'm in a situation to I will be ordering direct rather than pay a dealer.
73 Gary G7USC

Sent from my iPhone

> On 22 Sep 2014, at 04:26, Don Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all you pay is VAT I have bought a KPA 500,2xP3 and 2xKAT500 and all have only had VAT.
> Good luck on what ever you do.
> Don G6CMV
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Import Costs from America

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
Hi Gary
I have done that with my K2, K3 and KPA/KAT500.

However you should take into account (I did not) that for any repair (including warranty repair) you will have to pay for the shipping both ways when not being in the US. Shipping the KPA is not exactly cheap. I happen to know for a fact :-(
I have suggested that Elecraft provide the same service for all, America's and others alike. But dont think it is going to happen.
However, I dont know the probability for any of these to need repair for a given period. Maybe it is not an issue after all. Can someone give a figure? How many K3s and KPA500 and KAT500 are sent for repair in a year (and how many units are out there)?

73 de OZ4UN

> Den 22/09/2014 kl. 08.05 skrev "Gary McKelvie" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi to the list,
> Once again this list has answered my question.
> Thank you to all who have replied on list and direct to me.
> Much appreciated.
> Once I'm in a situation to I will be ordering direct rather than pay a dealer.
> 73 Gary G7USC
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 22 Sep 2014, at 04:26, Don Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all you pay is VAT I have bought a KPA 500,2xP3 and 2xKAT500 and all have only had VAT.
>> Good luck on what ever you do.
>> Don G6CMV
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

Import Costs from America

Johnny Siu
Most of the elecraft products are modular in design.  In other words, it is quite easy to identify a problematic PCB / Module.  You can simply send the problematic module back to Elecraft for repair.  Shipping costs for a module or PCB are very afffordable

If you buy the kit version, you will be familiar with the way to dismantle the radio / linear amplifier.  For overseas users like me, it is attractive to buy elecraft gears from the view point of future maintenance easiness.

There is not any elecraft dealer in Hong Kong.  We all bought direct from USA.  I am very satisfied with elecraft's quality and after sales service support.

Similarly, there is no repairing facilities in Hong Kong for all major ham gear manufacturers.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Gary McKelvie <[hidden email]>
副本(CC)︰ Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2014年09月24日 (週三) 10:49 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Import Costs from America

Hi Gary
I have done that with my K2, K3 and KPA/KAT500.

However you should take into account (I did not) that for any repair (including warranty repair) you will have to pay for the shipping both ways when not being in the US. Shipping the KPA is not exactly cheap. I happen to know for a fact :-(
I have suggested that Elecraft provide the same service for all, America's and others alike. But dont think it is going to happen.
However, I dont know the probability for any of these to need repair for a given period. Maybe it is not an issue after all. Can someone give a figure? How many K3s and KPA500 and KAT500 are sent for repair in a year (and how many units are out there)?

73 de OZ4UN

> Den 22/09/2014 kl. 08.05 skrev "Gary McKelvie" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi to the list,
> Once again this list has answered my question.
> Thank you to all who have replied on list and direct to me.
> Much appreciated.
> Once I'm in a situation to I will be ordering direct rather than pay a dealer.
> 73 Gary G7USC
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 22 Sep 2014, at 04:26, Don Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all you pay is VAT I have bought a KPA 500,2xP3 and 2xKAT500 and all have only had VAT.
>> Good luck on what ever you do.
>> Don G6CMV
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

Re: Import Costs from America

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
Hi Johnny
Yes I know. I built the K2/100, K3/100, KPA500 and KAT500 all from kits.
All bought in USA (and hand carried to Denmark)
I am a big fan of the Elecraft K-family. Don’t misunderstand.

But sending a KPA for repair is expensive even if you take out the transformer as Elecraft will request you to do. I had to do it and one of my friends (OZ8SW) also had to send both his KAT and later his  KPA for repair.
If you live in USA, Elecraft will pay for the shipping from Elecraft to the customer. But for customers outside US the customer must pay for shipping both ways (also if using an Elecraft associated repair service in Italy).

And that is not providing equal service to all customers. That’s my only point.

73 and thanks for your mail.
/OZ4UN Poul-Erik

Most of the elecraft products are modular in design.  In other words, it is quite easy to identify a problematic PCB / Module.  You can simply send the problematic module back to Elecraft for repair.  Shipping costs for a module or PCB are very afffordable

If you buy the kit version, you will be familiar with the way to dismantle the radio / linear amplifier.  For overseas users like me, it is attractive to buy elecraft gears from the view point of future maintenance easiness.

There is not any elecraft dealer in Hong Kong.  We all bought direct from USA.  I am very satisfied with elecraft's quality and after sales service support.

Similarly, there is no repairing facilities in Hong Kong for all major ham gear manufacturers.

73

Johnny VR2XMC
寄件人︰ Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
收件人︰ Gary McKelvie <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
副本(CC)︰ Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
傳送日期︰ 2014年09月24日 (週三) 10:49 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Import Costs from America

Hi Gary
I have done that with my K2, K3 and KPA/KAT500.

However you should take into account (I did not) that for any repair (including warranty repair) you will have to pay for the shipping both ways when not being in the US. Shipping the KPA is not exactly cheap. I happen to know for a fact :-(
I have suggested that Elecraft provide the same service for all, America's and others alike. But dont think it is going to happen.
However, I dont know the probability for any of these to need repair for a given period. Maybe it is not an issue after all. Can someone give a figure? How many K3s and KPA500 and KAT500 are sent for repair in a year (and how many units are out there)?

73 de OZ4UN

> Den 22/09/2014 kl. 08.05 skrev "Gary McKelvie" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi to the list,
> Once again this list has answered my question.
> Thank you to all who have replied on list and direct to me.
> Much appreciated.
> Once I'm in a situation to I will be ordering direct rather than pay a dealer.
> 73 Gary G7USC
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 22 Sep 2014, at 04:26, Don Palmer <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all you pay is VAT I have bought a KPA 500,2xP3 and 2xKAT500 and all have only had VAT.
>> Good luck on what ever you do.
>> Don G6CMV
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/
> Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Post: mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/
Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Import Costs from America

Doug Turnbull
Friends,
    If you purchased in the USA and hand carry back then your deal was made
in America.   How can you expect that Elecraft would ever cover the costs of
international shipment which varies across the world not to mention customs
handling charges?   If you purchase in the UK or EI from the UK then the
basic price is Pounds Sterling for Dollars or about 70% higher and in EI we
pay a high shipping cost to and from the UK.   You do get service in the UK
but you pay shipping.

     Elecraft could never pick up the tab for international shipment.   When
you purchase overseas you also pay for international shipment.   There are
no free lunches.   We in the EU have very high purchase taxes to pay for
much valued social benefits and perhaps inefficiencies.   We vote in the
governments who impose these taxes and costs so we must pay the piper.   We
should not expect that our costs would be spread across those living in the
USA whose public services are demeaned in Europe.

    John in Hong Kong is right the wise move is to send back the defective
module for repair.   It makes good sense to purchase in kit form and
assemble so that one is better able to remove modules and trouble shoot if
something goes wrong.   This modular approach is a strong point in the
Elecraft approach to design.

    It is painful for all of us when something goes wrong.   Fortunately
this does not seem to happen too often with Elecraft product.    Take a look
at QST and compare prices in your currency to the prices in your country for
the same products made outside the USA.

     I do not wish to step on any toes.    We all struggle at times to keep
finances in order but we do not have one world market with equal costs.
You should see the price difference between automobiles purchased in EI and
in G land.    Sometime G land looks attractive - sometimes.   Well we like
our own boat in EI and sometimes it springs a leak.

                  73 Doug EI2CN

[...]

????? 2014?09?24? (??) 10:49 PM
??? Re: [Elecraft] Import Costs from America

Hi Gary
I have done that with my K2, K3 and KPA/KAT500.

However you should take into account (I did not) that for any repair
(including warranty repair) you will have to pay for the shipping both ways
when not being in the US. Shipping the KPA is not exactly cheap. I happen to
know for a fact :-(
I have suggested that Elecraft provide the same service for all, America's
and others alike. But dont think it is going to happen.
However, I dont know the probability for any of these to need repair for a
given period. Maybe it is not an issue after all. Can someone give a figure?
How many K3s and KPA500 and KAT500 are sent for repair in a year (and how
many units are out there)?

73 de OZ4UN

> Den 22/09/2014 kl. 08.05 skrev "Gary McKelvie"
<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:

> Hi to the list,
> Once again this list has answered my question.
> Thank you to all who have replied on list and direct to me.
> Much appreciated.
> Once I'm in a situation to I will be ordering direct rather than pay a
dealer.
> 73 Gary G7USC
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 22 Sep 2014, at 04:26, Don Palmer
<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>> Hi all you pay is VAT I have bought a KPA 500,2xP3 and 2xKAT500 and all
have only had VAT.

>> Good luck on what ever you do.
>> Don G6CMV
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/
> Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
Post: mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/
Message delivered to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Import Costs from America

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Elecraft has an official repair/warranty station inside the EU. Carlo Bianconi
in Bologna, Italy is a very experienced repair technician who also speaks
excellent English, among other languages. He has a very extensive lab with
current test instruments and Elecraft test software, and his work is at the same
level as work performed at the factory.

Shipping to Carlo is much cheaper, and faster, in most circumstances than
shipping to the U.S.

73,
Eric
elecraft.com

On Wed,9/24/2014 11:38 AM, Doug Turnbull wrote:
>   Elecraft could never pick up the tab for international shipment.   When
> you purchase overseas you also pay for international shipment.   There are
> no free lunches.   We in the EU have very high purchase taxes to pay for
> much valued social benefits and perhaps inefficiencies.   We vote in the
> governments who impose these taxes and costs so we must pay the piper.

Well said, Doug. I also strongly endorse the practice of buying Elecraft
gear in kit form. So far, I've built two loaded K3s, two P3s, an KPA500,
a KX3, KXPA100, and one sub-RX. Not only do I know how the gear is put
together and have confidence in their modular board construction, I
saved enough buying in kit form to buy the KXPA100. The kits are easy to
put together and test unless you have some sort of disability that gets
in the way.

Re: Import Costs from America

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
I didn't see anybody question the quality of repair. You confuse the issue!
However you like to argue, there is a fact. For warranty repair, shipping costs are higher for non US customers than for US customers first of all because Elecraft only pays the shipping both ways for US customers - even when the repair is done "locally" from Elecraft in EU (=Italy for EU)

Regards
OZ4UN

> Den 24/09/2014 kl. 21.31 skrev "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Elecraft has an official repair/warranty station inside the EU. Carlo Bianconi in Bologna, Italy is a very experienced repair technician who also speaks excellent English, among other languages. He has a very extensive lab with current test instruments and Elecraft test software, and his work is at the same level as work performed at the factory.
>
> Shipping to Carlo is much cheaper, and faster, in most circumstances than shipping to the U.S.
>
> 73,
> Eric
> elecraft.com
>
>> On 9/24/2014 10:24 AM, Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) wrote:
>> Hi Johnny
>> Yes I know. I built the K2/100, K3/100, KPA500 and KAT500 all from kits.
>> All bought in USA (and hand carried to Denmark)
>> I am a big fan of the Elecraft K-family. Don’t misunderstand.
>>
>> But sending a KPA for repair is expensive even if you take out the transformer as Elecraft will request you to do. I had to do it and one of my friends (OZ8SW) also had to send both his KAT and later his  KPA for repair.
>> If you live in USA, Elecraft will pay for the shipping from Elecraft to the customer. But for customers outside US the customer must pay for shipping both ways (also if using an Elecraft associated repair service in Italy).
>>
>> And that is not providing equal service to all customers. That’s my only point.
>>
>> 73 and thanks for your mail.
>> /OZ4UN Poul-Erik

Phil Wheeler-2
You said "Elecraft only pays the shipping both
ways for US customers" indicating that if I have a
problem and have to ship my KPA500 to Elecraft
they pay the shipping both ways. If true, that's
great news :-)

Phil w7ox

p.s. -- Good to hear there is authorized service
in Europe. Someone did mention sending their rig
to Carlo, but I didn't know he was acting as an
agent of Elecraft.  Not all that useful to Johnny
in Hong Kong, I guess :-(

On Thu,9/25/2014 10:45 AM, Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) wrote:
> For warranty repair, shipping costs are higher for non US customers than for US customers first of all because Elecraft only pays the shipping both ways for US customers - even when the repair is done "locally" from Elecraft in EU (=Italy for EU)

Perhaps you would be happier with a Danish rig, where the shipping costs
would be lower?

Re: Import Costs from America

For warranty repairs, Elecraft will pay the return shipping only unless
special agreements are made.
For non-warranty repairs, the customer pays for the shipping both
directions.

On 9/25/2014 4:07 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
> You said "Elecraft only pays the shipping both ways for US customers"
> indicating that if I have a problem and have to ship my KPA500 to
> Elecraft they pay the shipping both ways. If true, that's great news :-)

Re: Import Costs from America

I should have specified, that information is for US customers only.  For
non-US addresses the customer pays for shipping both ways, even if a
warranty repair.

For warranty repairs, Elecraft will pay the return shipping only unless
special agreements are made.
For non-warranty repairs, the customer pays for the shipping both
directions.

On 9/25/2014 4:07 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
> You said "Elecraft only pays the shipping both ways for US customers"
> indicating that if I have a problem and have to ship my KPA500 to
> Elecraft they pay the shipping both ways. If true, that's great news :-)

Re: Import Costs from America

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
Hi Jim
Yes I saw that coming, but you are missing the point.
No Jim, all I ask for is that *for warranty repair* that the manufacturer pays for the return shipping. I believe that is normal commercial practice (also for other US manufacturers).

It should (hopefully) not be a big financial burden for the manufacturer. Depending of course on the quality of his product and the number of units needing repair during the warranty period.

I did not see anyone giving a figure of how many KPA500 and KAT500 units have been needing warranty repair. Maybe Elecraft could enligthen?

/Paul OZ4UN

> Den 25/09/2014 kl. 22.17 skrev "Jim Brown" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Thu,9/25/2014 10:45 AM, Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) wrote:
>> For warranty repair, shipping costs are higher for non US customers than for US customers first of all because Elecraft only pays the shipping both ways for US customers - even when the repair is done "locally" from Elecraft in EU (=Italy for EU)
>
> Perhaps you would be happier with a Danish rig, where the shipping costs would be lower?
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Import Costs from America

Jim Brown-10
On Fri,9/26/2014 2:08 AM, Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) wrote:
> Hi Jim
> Yes I saw that coming, but you are missing the point.
> No Jim, all I ask for is that*for warranty repair*  that the manufacturer pays for the return shipping. I believe that is normal commercial practice (also for other US manufacturers).

Several years ago, I needed warranty repair on consumer product made in
the US. I paid shipping to the mfr, and he paid return shipping. Every
company sets its own warranty policy.  Elecraft has set theirs. Do
Kenwood, Yaesu, and ICOM pay warranty shipping?  Do they have a warranty
service center in Denmark?

> It should (hopefully) not be a big financial burden for the manufacturer. Depending of course on the quality of his product and the number of units needing repair during the warranty period.

The other man's job always looks easier.

> I did not see anyone giving a figure of how many KPA500 and KAT500 units have been needing warranty repair. Maybe Elecraft could enligthen?

That's their business.

Consider this, Paul.  Most companies that manufacture ham transceivers
sell through dealers and/or distributors that add a significant mark-up
to the selling price. In exchange for that mark-up, they deal with
import/export, sell the product, and provide warranty service.

Elecraft has chosen to sell direct to their customers in most parts of
the world. This greatly reduces the initial purchase cost, especially if
the customer buys in kit form. But part of that cost difference is made
up if the product must be returned for warranty service.

And -- as hams, we profess at least some level of technical competence
in radio and electronics.  We certainly ought to be able to perform
minimal troubleshooting with advice from competent tech support by the
manufacturer, and Elecraft certainly does provide that support. We also
ought to be able to remove circuit boards and other key components for
exchange, and reinstall replacements.  And in areas where we're not
particularly competent, we should be able to call on neighbor hams who
are competent in those areas.  We certainly do that in the places I've
lived -- West Virginia where I grew up, Chicago, and the San Francisco
Bay Area. The hams fitting this description are Elecraft's target
customer base.

Elecraft is a small business, their only products are for ham radio. The
owners are not independently wealthy, but they are first-rate engineers
and good businessmen. They know that international shipping costs could
eat them alive, so their terms of sale are that the customer is
responsible for those costs. What other ham radio company makes its
Owners and Chief Engineer available via email to its customers via an
email reflector that they read every day? Certainly not ICOM, Yaesu,
Kenwood, or Ten Tec.

Re: Import Costs from America

Clive Lorton
Come on guys,  The original question was about import duty and VAT
(sales Tax) to the UK.
I purchased my K3 knowing that if there was a problem I would have to
return part or all of the radio to either the U$ or Italy at my own cost.

PLEASE stop hijacking any thread that eludes to transport costs to
Europe to why won't the Factory pay return cost.......  Its boring and
no ones listening.

Clive G8POC.

Fwd: Import Costs from America

Gary G7USC
Hi to the list,
As Clive said the original question I asked has been answered and once again I thank those that have answered this (both privately and publicly).
As to the way the thread has now gone can we either discontinue this or if people wish to continue the new discussion change the thread title so that those of us who wish not to become imbroiled in the thread can set a filter to ignore it please 😊
73 Gary G7USC

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message: