Just a thought

VE3WDM
Septembers QST arrived the other day and on page 13 is a run down of W1AW. Noticed its loaded with all non U.S. made rigs! No Elecraft or Ten Tec rigs both made in America.
Just a thought that makes me go hmmmm?
Mike
VE3WDM

Re: Just a thought

turnbull
Mike,
    I bet the equipment is donated and besides these non-USA manufacturers
have been advertising and thus supporting the league for many years.    They
also make good gear but remember that there are one hell of a lot of K3, K2
and KX3 radios being used outside North America.   Our hobby is world wide -
DX is the driving point for many of us.   Note also that ARRL remains aloof
as it needs to if producing credible reviews in QST.

    Competition is good.   The old USA manufactures lost it with SSB and
solid state electronics for a number of years.   Now there is a new group of
companies really competing.   I bet no one offers the service and attention
to its customers that Elecraft does.   The bar has been lifted and the
standard of radios from overseas has also improved but can they match the
personal touch of Eric, Wayne and friends?

     Yes I am happy to see my country of birth and citizenship again
producing quality ham radio equipment.   It is natural to feel this way but
my dream car is still a Porsche.

                      73 Doug EI2CN

Re: Just a thought

 > Noticed its loaded with all non U.S. made rigs!

Only because that's what has been donated - "Much of the studio
equipment has been donated by Amateur Radio Manufacturers".   When
a manufacturer makes cheap rigs they can afford to give them away!

On 8/16/2013 7:30 AM, Mike wrote:

> Septembers QST arrived the other day and on page 13 is a run down of W1AW. Noticed its loaded with all non U.S. made rigs! No Elecraft or Ten Tec rigs both made in America.
> Just a thought that makes me go hmmmm?
> Mike
> VE3WDM

Re: Just a thought

Fred Smith
Very well put and true.....except when it comes to cars then it has to be a
Carol Shelby 2013 Mustang again all "AMERICAN MADE". But they were all sold
before production even started, it was the highest HP engine ever produced
in a production car in excess of 850 HP. If you had one of them you could
trade for a dozen Porsche's and still have money left over. It was one of
those cars that if you had to ask how much it was you couldn't afford it.

Not like Elecraft radios and equipment where the highest performance is at
the most reasonable cost of any.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Septembers QST arrived the other day and on page 13 is a run down of W1AW.
Noticed its loaded with all non U.S. made rigs! No Elecraft or Ten Tec rigs
both made in America.
Just a thought that makes me go hmmmm?
Mike
VE3WDM

-----
No virus found in this message.

Hop

Re: Just a thought

Hop

Re: Just a thought

Tim Hague
Yes but they didn't go round  corners like a Porsche:)!

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 16 Aug 2013, at 15:32, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very well put and true.....except when it comes to cars then it has to be a
> Carol Shelby 2013 Mustang again all "AMERICAN MADE". But they were all sold
> before production even started, it was the highest HP engine ever produced
> in a production car in excess of 850 HP. If you had one of them you could
> trade for a dozen Porsche's and still have money left over. It was one of
> those cars that if you had to ask how much it was you couldn't afford it.
>
> Not like Elecraft radios and equipment where the highest performance is at
> the most reasonable cost of any.
>

> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ
> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2
>

> Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 8:30 AM
> To: 'Mike'; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Just a thought
>
> Mike,
>    I bet the equipment is donated and besides these non-USA manufacturers
> have been advertising and thus supporting the league for many years.    They
> also make good gear but remember that there are one hell of a lot of K3, K2
> and KX3 radios being used outside North America.   Our hobby is world wide -
> DX is the driving point for many of us.   Note also that ARRL remains aloof
> as it needs to if producing credible reviews in QST.
>
>    Competition is good.   The old USA manufactures lost it with SSB and
> solid state electronics for a number of years.   Now there is a new group of
> companies really competing.   I bet no one offers the service and attention
> to its customers that Elecraft does.   The bar has been lifted and the
> standard of radios from overseas has also improved but can they match the
> personal touch of Eric, Wayne and friends?
>
>     Yes I am happy to see my country of birth and citizenship again
> producing quality ham radio equipment.   It is natural to feel this way but
> my dream car is still a Porsche.
>
>                      73 Doug EI2CN

Alan Watson

I see a Flex - 5000 in the list.

Hey I'm an Elecraft fan.  I love there products and people. I own and operate KX3.  I do not have any Flex equipment.  But I believe there is an American designed and made transceiver in the equipment list (Studio 2).

73 de AA5XQ

Re: Just a thought

Chester Alderman
NOTHING goes around a corner like a Porsche !!!

My Mini Cooper S does a great simulation, but it is not a Porsche!

Tom - W4BQF

Yes but they didn't go round  corners like a Porsche:)!

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 16 Aug 2013, at 15:32, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very well put and true.....except when it comes to cars then it has to
> be a Carol Shelby 2013 Mustang again all "AMERICAN MADE". But they
> were all sold before production even started, it was the highest HP
> engine ever produced in a production car in excess of 850 HP. If you
> had one of them you could trade for a dozen Porsche's and still have
> money left over. It was one of those cars that if you had to ask how much
it was you couldn't afford it.

> Not like Elecraft radios and equipment where the highest performance
> is at the most reasonable cost of any.
>

> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ
> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2
>

> Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 8:30 AM
> To: 'Mike'; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Just a thought
>
> Mike,
>    I bet the equipment is donated and besides these non-USA manufacturers
> have been advertising and thus supporting the league for many years.
They
> also make good gear but remember that there are one hell of a lot of K3,
K2
> and KX3 radios being used outside North America.   Our hobby is world wide
-
> DX is the driving point for many of us.   Note also that ARRL remains
aloof
> as it needs to if producing credible reviews in QST.
>
>    Competition is good.   The old USA manufactures lost it with SSB and
> solid state electronics for a number of years.   Now there is a new group
of
> companies really competing.   I bet no one offers the service and
attention
> to its customers that Elecraft does.   The bar has been lifted and the
> standard of radios from overseas has also improved but can they match
> the personal touch of Eric, Wayne and friends?
>
>     Yes I am happy to see my country of birth and citizenship again
> producing quality ham radio equipment.   It is natural to feel this way
but

> my dream car is still a Porsche.
>
>                      73 Doug EI2CN

MontyS
Tom, I have owned 2 Porsches, a 944 and a Boxster.  I now have a Scion FR-S,
and its cornering is awfully close, if not on a par, with those machines.
Still dreaming of a 911, though.

Monty K2DLJ

NOTHING goes around a corner like a Porsche !!!

My Mini Cooper S does a great simulation, but it is not a Porsche!

Tom - W4BQF

Re: Just a thought

AD6XY
I thought the thing about Porsche 911s was that in the wet you have to go round roundabouts twice. (I suspect this joke won't traverse the Atlantic well, but never mind)

I don't have a problem with Non-US radios in W1AW but I agree it would be nice to see an Elecraft radio there as well.

Japan have dominated the market for some time because they have produced the best radios for the price. The investment has been enormous, supported by a large local market. Elecraft have only dented this dominance. We have to remember that even if the radio is designed and built nationally, many of the components will have been designed in Europe or Japan but manufactured in China or elsewhere. These days there is probably no such thing as an entirely American radio, or a Japanese one, or a British one.

Mike G0MJW/AD6XY

Re: Just a thought

Jim Low man
I asked someone at ARRL HQ, and was told that much of the equipment has
been donated by the respective manufacturers.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 8/16/2013 4:30 AM, Mike wrote:
> Septembers QST arrived the other day and on page 13 is a run down of W1AW. Noticed its loaded with all non U.S. made rigs! No Elecraft or Ten Tec rigs both made in America.
> Just a thought that makes me go hmmmm?
> Mike
> VE3WDM

Re: Just a thought

alsopb
Look at the LOTW Home page.  Yaesu is emblazoned on the top half.

73 de Brian/K3KO