K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Jim Hahn

I was out of Ham Radio since the late 1960's getting my license back as an extra class guy one of the last to get the extra when you still had to pass with the 20 wpm test about 10-15 years ago, although frankly I would have made the test alot more difficult as I can remember sitting before the FCC examiner when I was 14 years old in 1966 shaking in my boots taking the novice test............. I just ordered a K1-4 bander that should be here by the end of this week. My question is this. Those of you in the know on this group, can you please give me your input as to what additional items that I might want to order from Elecraft for this radio? I am remembering the Heathkits of the 1960's which made me nostalgic for a CW only radio. Brings back memories of my HW-16 now long gone ;>)............Thanks for any help that you fellows can give me. Lastly are there any other websites that you can suggest along this line of thought? Thanks guys! jim hahn dds at
 Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

-

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Don Wilhelm-4
Assuming you have made your own decisions about which band boards are
important to0 you, the only other decisions are on the VFO rqnge your
preferred sidetone pitch and the
On 8/27/2012 8:49 PM, Jim Hahn wrote:

> I was out of Ham Radio since the late 1960's getting my license back as an extra class guy one of the last to get the extra when you still had to pass with the 20 wpm test about 10-15 years ago, although frankly I would have made the test alot more difficult as I can remember sitting before the FCC examiner when I was 14 years old in 1966 shaking in my boots taking the novice test............. I just ordered a K1-4 bander that should be here by the end of this week. My question is this. Those of you in the know on this group, can you please give me your input as to what additional items that I might want to order from Elecraft for this radio? I am remembering the Heathkits of the 1960's which made me nostalgic for a CW only radio. Brings back memories of my HW-16 now long gone ;>)............Thanks for any help that you fellows can give me. Lastly are there any other websites that you can suggest along this line of thought? Thanks guys! jim hahn dds at
>   Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
>

> -

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Dick Dievendorff
Welcome back! I remember my HW-16 fondly, and I came back to the hobby after a multi-year hiatus as well. I also remember that CW test at the FCC office as a teenager.

I would only suggest that you take your time and really savor the build.  There are a number of accessories available, but you can order them as you find the need.  Try your new radio, engage with the community and get opinions. There are a lot of friendly and extremely knowledgeable folks on the Elecraft reflector.

I started my Elecraft experience with a couple of mini-modules to get my soldering skills honed again, then I built a KX1. Then a K2, then a K3, then... I ended up selling off my other gear and now use most of the Elecraft product line.  Now I work for them. I sold my first K2 and my second K2 kit is waiting for when I find a few hours free for a few days in a row.

73 de Dick, K6KR

On Aug 27, 2012, at 5:49 PM, Jim Hahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was out of Ham Radio since the late 1960's getting my license back as an extra class guy one of the last to get the extra when you still had to pass with the 20 wpm test about 10-15 years ago, although frankly I would have made the test alot more difficult as I can remember sitting before the FCC examiner when I was 14 years old in 1966 shaking in my boots taking the novice test............. I just ordered a K1-4 bander that should be here by the end of this week. My question is this. Those of you in the know on this group, can you please give me your input as to what additional items that I might want to order from Elecraft for this radio? I am remembering the Heathkits of the 1960's which made me nostalgic for a CW only radio. Brings back memories of my HW-16 now long gone ;>)............Thanks for any help that you fellows can give me. Lastly are there any other websites that you can suggest along this line of thought? Thanks guys! jim hahn dds at
> Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
>

> -

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Mike Morrow-3
Jim wrote:

> I was out of Ham Radio since the late 1960's getting my license
> back as an extra class guy one of the last to get the extra when
> you still had to pass with the 20 wpm test about 10-15 years ago,
> although frankly I would have made the test alot more difficult
> as I can remember sitting before the FCC examiner when I was 14
> years old in 1966 shaking in my boots taking the novice test...

Welcome to the Elecraft list, Jim.

I didn't realize that Novice exams were ever given at an FCC office,
nor Technician exams either, unless the examiner gave a person credit
for 5 wpm after a 13 wpm test failure, as sometimes occurred (as
it did for me in 1969).

> I just ordered a K1-4 bander that should be here by the end of this
> week. My question is this. Those of you in the know on this group,
> can you please give me your input as to what additional items that
> I might want to order from Elecraft for this radio?

I have found the following very useful, in order of importance:

1.  Optional LCD backlight - Don't even think of building a K1 without
this option!!  This is an extremely useful feature that is dirt simple
to install as part of the **initial** build of the K1 front panel board,
but a real pain in the butt to back fit afterwards.  This is truly an
important option. (K1BKLTKT LCD Mod Kit)

2.  Auto antenna tuner - It has 10 relays that switch its four inductors
and five capacitors to produce an inductance range from 0 to 4.9 uH and
a capacitance range from 0 to 300 pF in 2^10 (1024) various combinations,
of which 1020 are unique.  The tuning is a series inductor, with capacitance
on either the transmitter side or the antenna side. (KAT1)

3.  Noise Blanker - It does a good job on certain types of noise on its
minimal setting (HIGH threshold), but can affect dynamic range significantly
on the maximum (LOW threshold) setting. (KNB1)

I did not find the internal battery option to be useful...no way to charge,
a potential source of corrosion if leakage occurs, only eight AA-cells
utilized.  Also, the standard speaker sounds much better than the micro
speaker used with the internal battery kit. (KBT1)

I find the tilt stand to be way over-engineered when all I need is something
that props up the front of the K1.  (KTS1)

I would recommend choosing 40, 30, 20, and 15 meters for your KFL1-4 filter
board.  The 17m band is nice, but it does not compare with the usefulness of
15m.  That's one of the finest QRP bands as Solar Cycle 24 progresses.

I also have found the 150 kHz VFO span option (you'll actually get about
170 kHz) to be very manageable, at close to 17 kHz per turn of the VFO knob.
But some home-made felt washers between the front panel and the back of the
VFO knob can prevent disturbing the dial as you remove your fingers from
the dial.  The 10-turn potentiometer has almost no resistance to rotation
and is easily disturbed.

I also believe that four small squares of foam tape should be stuck to the
four corners of the front panel board, on the side with the MPU socket.  This
will prevent (1) Audible rattle/vibration at some audio frequencies when the
internal speaker is in use, and (2) Visible front panel push button recession
when one is depressed, due to play between the corners of the front panel PCB
and the support blocks behind them.

The K1 is a mature product that appeared in 2000.  I built S/N 175 and it has
always been my favorite QRP rig.  I know of very little else, such as any
electrical mods, which should be added.

> I am remembering the Heathkits of the 1960's which made me nostalgic for a
> CW only radio.

I love listening to 15m when it is open, at 0400, hearing VK, JA, and ZL stations
here in Alabama on 15 feet of hookup wire indoors.  It's a great portable or
backpack rig too.

I think you'll like it!

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

k6dgw
On 8/27/2012 8:04 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:

> I didn't realize that Novice exams were ever given at an FCC office,
> nor Technician exams either,

Yep, *all* exams were before an FCC Examiner except the Conditional
which was a General administered by others if you were too far from the
FCC office.  I can still remember, terrified at 13 in 1953, walking into
the office in Los Angeles and seeing that Boehme punched tape reader
with the "speedometer" dial sticking up.  It almost seemed like a
torture device.  My seat was right next to it at the long table, it sat
on a tin plate with a little lip around it into which the oil dripped,
and I can almost smell it today.

The examiner, who [not making this up] was wearing a green eyeshade,
explained the process, adjusted the speed to 5 WPM and asked two
applicants to verify it, and then ran it for 5 min.  We needed one
continuous minute of error-free copy -- 25 characters.  It was plain
text including numbers period, comma, slash, and question mark.

He collected the papers, and hand-graded them one by one, saying
nothing.  When he finished, he announced the names of those who passed,
one was me :-), and the rest left.  He handed out the written exams, as
I recall we had an hour but memory there is vague.  Like the code, he
collected the papers, graded all of them, and announced who passed.
KN6DGW arrived in the mail about 5 weeks later.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Bob Nielsen-2
Fred, you forgot the step between passing the received code test and the written test: a sending test.  When I upgraded from Novice to General in 1953 at that same office, one of the applicants passed on receiving but failed at sending.  He was so nervous that his fist was just too shaky to control the hand key.

Novice testing by volunteers started around 1956 or so.

73, Bob N7XY (WN6SWE/W6SWE in the old days).

On 8/28/2012 2:03 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> Fred, you forgot the step between passing the received code test and
> the written test: a sending test.  When I upgraded from Novice to
> General in 1953 at that same office, one of the applicants passed on
> receiving but failed at sending.  He was so nervous that his fist was
> just too shaky to control the hand key.

Indeed, I did.  I knew I could copy reliably at around 10 WPM with my
Elmer sending, but that "mechanical monster" right next to me seriously
increased my stress.  When I found out I passed, and that "thing" was
turned off, the sending test on the FCC's J-38 wasn't a problem.  I used
it for the General about six months later too.  When I went for the
Extra after the 2 years service was up, I took my Lionel J-36 bug.  I
ended up sending at 25 WPM for the 2T [accidentally, long story], but
got 20 WPM credit for the Extra that afternoon.

The nostalgia is fun [for a few minutes], but I think we in the US have
evolved very well in the examination process.  We're a volunteer,
hobby-oriented service ... far better we should have a volunteer
examination force rather than paying government employees with green
eyeshades and machines from hell to terrorize 13 yr olds. :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Alan Bloom
On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 14:03 -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> Novice testing by volunteers started around 1956 or so.

I actually took the Novice exam in an FCC office in 1968.  I lived in
Gettysburg, where the FCC's amateur licensing office was.  Probably it
was an informal arrangement with the local ham club.

Alan N1AL

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Cookie
I suspect that the FCC office could always give the novice test, but didn't have many takers when you could get the test from a volunteer in the comfort of his or your home.  Everyone knows that the examiners would kill you and eat you if you failed their test.  That is why there was so much fear of the office! At least it seemed that way from the fear shown by otherwise grown men.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 14:03 -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> Novice testing by volunteers started around 1956 or so.

I actually took the Novice exam in an FCC office in 1968.  I lived in
Gettysburg, where the FCC's amateur licensing office was.  Probably it
was an informal arrangement with the local ham club.

Alan N1AL

Re: K-1 4-bander suggestions?

Randy Moore
My Elmer gave me the Novice exam in 1961. Then a guy in a near-by town (I think he had to be an Extra) gave me the Conditional General test the next year. I don't remember taking a code test for that, but surely it was required???

Then in 1968, just before graduating from college, I figured I knew as much about electronics as I ever would (I was right about that), I took the Extra exam at a federal building in Jackson, MS. The examiner required me to pass, in sequence, all of the code speed tests.  I got the impression he was expecting me to fail, but CW was my thing and I think I got 100% copy on all of them. I remember him looking up at me after grading the 20 wpm test and smiling. I was very proud of my Extra ticket. My call back then was WA5ALL.

73,
Randy, KS4L

> On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 14:03 -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Novice testing by volunteers started around 1956 or so.

Re: FCC exams

Bill Tubbs, WK6A
The last time I visited the FCC (in San Francisco) just before the VEC program started, it was a nightmare. I drove a hundred miles, parked my car at a BART (rapid transit) station, and took the RT to downtown SF, and had an unexpected 30 minute delay.  I walked the four blocks to the FCC office and got to the testing office door just as the clock hit the start time of 10:00 am. As I started to enter, the door was pulled shut from inside and locked. And I was denied entrance to the exam. I was literally almost across the threshold of the door. You can't imagine how PO'd I was.

It couldn't have been a better time to be their last exam. I wanted to strangle the examiner. Got my Extra Class at the first VEC exam I could find.

Bill
WK6A

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2012, at 5:03 PM, WILLIS COOKE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect that the FCC office could always give the novice test, but didn't have many takers when you could get the test from a volunteer in the comfort of his or your home.  Everyone knows that the examiners would kill you and eat you if you failed their test.  That is why there was so much fear of the office! At least it seemed that way from the fear shown by otherwise grown men.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Re: FCC exams

Jim Brown-10
On 8/28/2012 10:36 PM, Bill Tubbs wrote:
> As I started to enter, the door was pulled shut from inside and locked. And I was denied entrance to the exam. I was literally almost across the threshold of the door. You can't imagine how PO'd I was.

I hope you will remember that experience the next time you're tempted to
take a hard nosed, arbitrary approach to a person or a problem.

Re: FCC exams

N0AZZ
I have heard such statements as that about the FCC testing and the way it
was done. I have also heard how easy it was to get a license back then not
like today where you have to have photo proof (3) pieces in hand to even
take the test. Not like when the FCC gave them a DL and old license was
given to someone to take the tests for them friends, brother-in-law or a
paid for the task. It was a common event because on a lack of identification
that we have in testing now.

Just another good reason that it's been done away with to have stopped that
abuse.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

On 8/28/2012 10:36 PM, Bill Tubbs wrote:
> As I started to enter, the door was pulled shut from inside and locked.
And I was denied entrance to the exam. I was literally almost across the
threshold of the door. You can't imagine how PO'd I was.

I hope you will remember that experience the next time you're tempted to
take a hard nosed, arbitrary approach to a person or a problem.

Re: FCC exams

Bruce Beford-2
Well Fred, I don't know who's in charge of the VE sessions you have attended
but... I have been a VE for many years. I head up our local ARRL VEC
sponsored team. The only time I have required multiple forms of ID is when
an appropriate photo ID was not available. Generally, this has been for
young applicants that don't have a passport, military ID or driver's
license. The following excerpt is directly from the ARRL VEC manual.
73,
Bruce, N1RX

Identification
No one may take an amateur exam for another person. It is essential that the
VE Team checks a candidate's identification (ID) before allowing the
candidate to sit for an exam.
The candidate must present a legal photo ID. This requirement is usually met
with a driver's license, but it can be a passport or other legal
identification card with the candidate's photo on it.
When no photo ID is available, the candidate must present any two of the
following:

. Non-photo ID/driver's license (some states still have them);
. Social Security Card;
. Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal);
. Minor's work permit, school report card, school ID card or library card;
. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or
. Postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing
address as it appears on the Form 605.

Fred, N0AZZ wrote:
> I have also heard how easy it was to get a license back then not
>like today where you have to have photo proof (3) pieces in hand to even
> take the test.

Re: FCC exams

N0AZZ
Bruce I'm in charge of the group and I want at least 2 pieces of ID. When
the FCC testing was in place photo ID's were not in use very much at all is
what I was referring to and those things happened.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

Fred, N0AZZ wrote:
> I have also heard how easy it was to get a license back then not like
>today where you have to have photo proof (3) pieces in hand to even
>take the test.

Re: FCC exams

Scott Manthe-2
The FCC stopped giving tests in 1984, not 1934. Every U.S. state had
photo IDs in 1984, as did almost every college, most high schools and
many grade schools. While there were abuses, and I'm personally aware of
at least one, it certainly wasn't due to a lack of photo IDs. And it
definitely WASN'T easier to get a license prior to the VEC system being
in place.

You also need to understand that you can't require more ID than is
required by the VEC, just because you're "in charge of the group." If a
person has a valid photo ID, then you need to let them take the test.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 8/29/12 8:21 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> Bruce I'm in charge of the group and I want at least 2 pieces of ID. When
> the FCC testing was in place photo ID's were not in use very much at all is
> what I was referring to and those things happened.
>
> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ

Re: FCC exams

Dick Roth
Going up to the Custom House in the oldest part of Boston was always
faced with great trepidation.  The FCC examiners were men of very few
words.  They just passed out the written exams and turned on the
terrifying Code Machine and didn't say much else!

I had to visit the place three times to pass my 2nd Phone (now GROL)
exam because I couldn't make it past Question 70 before having to excuse
myself to visit the Men's Room.  Naturally, that was that...no re-entry.
It finally dawned on me not to drink anything from the night before and
to forgo my morning coffee.  Hopefully, I've learned how to grasp the
obvious more quickly since then.

--
73 de Dick, ka1oz

Elecraft K3/100(K) #859
G5RV Doublet
Titan-DX Vertical

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 08:59 -0700, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> My experiences were just the reverse, in the San Francisco, Los Angeles and
> San Diego FCC offices. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly while
> taking all three Amateur and five Commercial license tests over a period of
> years. My last test was taken in San Francisco the early 1990's after I had
> let my Commercial Radiotelegraph license lapse too long and had to re-sit
> the exam. I was told that was the last test administered by the FCC in San
> Francisco.
>
> Later I went to a private testing company for my GMDSS Operator's and
> Maintainer's licenses.
>
> All of the tests were handled well with no issues, both in the written and
> CW receiving and sending, which involved a judgment call by the examiner.
> (Applicants for both commercial and Ham licenses had to demonstrate their
> ability to send on a straight key to the satisfaction of the FCC Examiner as
> well as receive CW at the required speed.)
>
> Of course, I was there and ready before the start time too.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: FCC exams

David Cutter
My only experience with the FCC exam is at my club here in the UK: we are
one of the few places in the world outside the USA that offers exams on
demand.  We had a candidate in from the UAE last week: he made the trip,
added a little site-seeing then flew back.  That's dedication.

73

David
G3UNA
www.ripon.org.uk

Re: FCC exams

Phil Kane-2
On 8/29/2012 9:44 AM, Dick Roth--KA1OZ wrote:

> I had to visit the place three times to pass my 2nd Phone (now GROL)
> exam because I couldn't make it past Question 70 before having to excuse
> myself to visit the Men's Room.  Naturally, that was that...no re-entry.

In San Francisco we would permit "bathroom breaks" under
appropriate-gender escort - one at a time with nothing in hand.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Re: FCC exams

Phil Kane-2
On 8/29/2012 11:09 AM, David Cutter wrote:

> My only experience with the FCC exam is at my club here in the UK: we are
> one of the few places in the world outside the USA that offers exams on
> demand.  We had a candidate in from the UAE last week: he made the trip,
> added a little site-seeing then flew back.  That's dedication.

As a now-retired long-term FCC field manager I have personal
reservations about a non-US citizen who is a non-US resident going to a
non-US location to get a US ham license.  I know that it's done
(particularly by JAs) but something just doesn't sound right to me.

Then again, what do I know?  They didn't listen to me much when I was on
board and found such anomalies either......

I have a long-expired license from what was  then a DX country where I
was a multi-year resident on a job assignment with their Ministry if
Communications, their equivalent of the FCC. On my last visit some years
ago the Ministry told me that they will not reactivate it unless I
immigrate, even if I come for visits.  But then again, they have never
reissued the call sign either....