K-Line: Antenna switching

Jim AB3CV
I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax to
the shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with
8 antenna ports.

Knowing my limitations I'd prefer a means of decoding the K3 band outputs
and controlling the remote switch automatically. An external override to
select an alternate antenna (e.g. an inverted V instead of vertical for
80m). I'd like some indication of what antenna automatically (or active
override) is selected as well.

I've looked at several devices (top ten, dxe, ameritron, elecraft) and
haven't found something that meets all requirements. Of course I could
start with just a manual unit and built something myself but I'd prefer to
buy a unit due to other priorities. I'm looking for both the shack box and
the remote relay box as well. I've seen several relay boxes that would
likely work but not yet anything for the shack.

Suggestions welcome!

thanks

jim ab3cv

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

w8fn
I would enthusiastically recommend the microHAM Station Master. It will
do everything you want and more. Since it reads the radio frequency
directly, you can select antennas not only by band but also by sub-band
if you wish. You can also select any number of antennas manually using
either the front panel controls or a PS2 remote keypad. An alphanumeric
display on the unit displays the selected antenna in plain text, using a
name you can assign for each antenna. The Station Master also provides a
host of configurable control lines to control all sorts of other
hardware. The microHAM folks also make fine antenna switches with either
six or ten ports. Their stuff isn't exactly cheap, but it's first class
all the way.

73...
Randy, W8FN

On 10/09/2012 20:36, Jim Miller wrote:

> I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax to
> the shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with
> 8 antenna ports.
>
> Knowing my limitations I'd prefer a means of decoding the K3 band outputs
> and controlling the remote switch automatically. An external override to
> select an alternate antenna (e.g. an inverted V instead of vertical for
> 80m). I'd like some indication of what antenna automatically (or active
> override) is selected as well.
>
> I've looked at several devices (top ten, dxe, ameritron, elecraft) and
> haven't found something that meets all requirements. Of course I could
> start with just a manual unit and built something myself but I'd prefer to
> buy a unit due to other priorities. I'm looking for both the shack box and
> the remote relay box as well. I've seen several relay boxes that would
> likely work but not yet anything for the shack.
>
> Suggestions welcome!

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Phil Salas
“I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax tothe
shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with8
antenna ports.”

How about the Ameritron RCS-12?

Phil – AD5X

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > How about the Ameritron RCS-12?

The Ameritron switch is a "tree" relay arrangement.  Port to port
isolation is poor as is impedance matching (SWR) on the higher
bands due to long leads and open frame relays.

On 10/9/2012 11:09 PM, Phil&Debbie wrote:

> “I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax tothe
> shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with8
> antenna ports.”
>
> How about the Ameritron RCS-12?
>
> Phil – AD5X

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Gary Gregory
*Joe,

>From my experience Joe the reliability outdoors is not real flash either.

Some folks will have had success with them but not here.

73
*
On 10 October 2012 14:04, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > How about the Ameritron RCS-12?
>
> The Ameritron switch is a "tree" relay arrangement.  Port to port
> isolation is poor as is impedance matching (SWR) on the higher
> bands due to long leads and open frame relays.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 10/9/2012 11:09 PM, Phil&Debbie wrote:
> > “I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax
> tothe
> > shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with8
> > antenna ports.”
> >
> > How about the Ameritron RCS-12?
> >
> > Phil – AD5X

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007
P3 #1629

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

N5GE-2
I like my Elecraft KRC2 and DX Enginering 8 Pos switch.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:36:24 -0400, Jim Miller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax to
>the shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with
>8 antenna ports.
>
>Knowing my limitations I'd prefer a means of decoding the K3 band outputs
>and controlling the remote switch automatically. An external override to
>select an alternate antenna (e.g. an inverted V instead of vertical for
>80m). I'd like some indication of what antenna automatically (or active
>override) is selected as well.
>
>I've looked at several devices (top ten, dxe, ameritron, elecraft) and
>haven't found something that meets all requirements. Of course I could
>start with just a manual unit and built something myself but I'd prefer to
>buy a unit due to other priorities. I'm looking for both the shack box and
>the remote relay box as well. I've seen several relay boxes that would
>likely work but not yet anything for the shack.
>
>Suggestions welcome!
>
>thanks
>
>jim ab3cv

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

N0AZZ
I had also looked for quite some time and finally found one that fit very
well in my station and 2 radios a SO2R. It is the Array Solutions Six Pack
it has been working very well for over 2 months and a lot of features so no
foul ups. But the nice part is that it is so simple to install and use.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

wrote:

>I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax
>to the shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch,
>preferrably with
>8 antenna ports.
>
>Knowing my limitations I'd prefer a means of decoding the K3 band
>outputs and controlling the remote switch automatically. An external
>override to select an alternate antenna (e.g. an inverted V instead of
>vertical for 80m). I'd like some indication of what antenna
>automatically (or active
>override) is selected as well.
>
>I've looked at several devices (top ten, dxe, ameritron, elecraft) and
>haven't found something that meets all requirements. Of course I could
>start with just a manual unit and built something myself but I'd prefer
>to buy a unit due to other priorities. I'm looking for both the shack
>box and the remote relay box as well. I've seen several relay boxes
>that would likely work but not yet anything for the shack.
>
>Suggestions welcome!
>
>thanks
>
>jim ab3cv
>
>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Mike Reublin
Jim,

I have an Ameritron RCS-12 conntroller driving an RCS-10L switch, and
AFAICT, it meets all your requirements. I'm very pleased with it.

73, Mike NF4L

On 10/9/12 9:36 PM, Jim Miller wrote:

> I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax to
> the shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch, preferrably with
> 8 antenna ports.
>
> Knowing my limitations I'd prefer a means of decoding the K3 band outputs
> and controlling the remote switch automatically. An external override to
> select an alternate antenna (e.g. an inverted V instead of vertical for
> 80m). I'd like some indication of what antenna automatically (or active
> override) is selected as well.
>
> I've looked at several devices (top ten, dxe, ameritron, elecraft) and
> haven't found something that meets all requirements. Of course I could
> start with just a manual unit and built something myself but I'd prefer to
> buy a unit due to other priorities. I'm looking for both the shack box and
> the remote relay box as well. I've seen several relay boxes that would
> likely work but not yet anything for the shack.
>
> Suggestions welcome!
>
> thanks
>
> jim ab3cv

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Gordon LaPoint

On 10 Oct 2012 at 4:14, Fred Smith wrote:

> I had also looked for quite some time and finally found one that fit very
> well in my station and 2 radios a SO2R. It is the Array Solutions Six Pack
> it has been working very well for over 2 months and a lot of features so no
> foul ups. But the nice part is that it is so simple to install and use.
>
> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ

I use the Six Pak antenna switch and love it.  It has one problem, its sensitive to drive
voltage for the relays, mine had to be adjusted by bending the spring mount for each
relay.  It wanted 13.5 volts to pull in a relay, should be 10.5, or so, I forget the
exact amount, according to Array solutions.  The fix is to bend the tab that the return
spring is mounted to, adjusting the force needed to pull in.
Once I got the spring tension correct it has worked flawlessly for several years in an
SO2R setup.
If you need more antenna inputs they now have an 8 input switch.

73,
Gordon - N1MGO

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Cady, Fred
I like the Six Pack also and use one at K0PP's for SO2R and one at home.
At home I added a W9XT Band Decoder and High Side Driver to
automatically switch antennas on one of the ports. Haven't gotten around
to adding the second side. Incidentally the band decoder is optoisolated
and doesn't load the band data outputs so the decoder and the amplifier
work ok together. I seem to remember some people have had problems when
they added a decoder.
Cheers and 73,
Fred
KE7X

wrote:

>I'm adding a KPA500 and KAT500 to my station equipment. The only coax
>to the shack will be a run of LDF5-50 to a TBD remote switch,
>preferrably with
>8 antenna ports.
>
>Knowing my limitations I'd prefer a means of decoding the K3 band
>outputs and controlling the remote switch automatically. An external
>override to select an alternate antenna (e.g. an inverted V instead of
>vertical for 80m). I'd like some indication of what antenna
>automatically (or active
>override) is selected as well.
>
>I've looked at several devices (top ten, dxe, ameritron, elecraft) and
>haven't found something that meets all requirements. Of course I could
>start with just a manual unit and built something myself but I'd prefer

>to buy a unit due to other priorities. I'm looking for both the shack
>box and the remote relay box as well. I've seen several relay boxes
>that would likely work but not yet anything for the shack.
>
>Suggestions welcome!
>
>thanks
>
>jim ab3cv
>
>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K-Line: Antenna switching

Jan, SM5FQQ
I use a Band Decoder Card from Unified Microsystems to drive my antenna relais.

http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html

73 de Jan SM5FQQ
Elecraft K3 #2054, Butternut HF9V